Looking to get a new pistol

Sheldon

Feb 11, 2008, 8:40:40 PM2/11/08
I've been tinkering with a Beretta air pistol and have caught the bug. As
I've gotten older I've grown to respect the 2nd Amendment, and realize that
911 won't do me squat when faced with an intruder.

Shooting very tight groups with the pellet gun, just waiting for summer so I
can get out to the local range with a real firearm, take some lessons and
learn things the right way.

Anyway, my neighbor will sell me a 38 revolver for cheap, but I've always
had a fondness for semiautomatics, maybe a 9mm so I don't go broke at the
range. Any advice?

Thanks.

Sheldon

Josh Assing

Feb 11, 2008, 9:19:51 PM2/11/08
>Anyway, my neighbor will sell me a 38 revolver for cheap, but I've always
>had a fondness for semiautomatics, maybe a 9mm so I don't go broke at the
>range. Any advice?

38 vs 9mm won't be much different ammo wise.

Shoot both; decide; buy.

Since you don't say what kind of 9mm you're fond of (other than the cartridge)
or what 38 revolver it is; it'll be hard for anyone to give you good advice.

SaPeIsMa

Feb 11, 2008, 9:23:55 PM2/11/08

"Sheldon" <she...@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message

Start off with a .22 pistol like a Browning Buckmark or Ruger or Walther
Ammo to practice with a .22 will cost you 10% of doing so with a larger
caliber
Sign up for a beginners class
Once you have learned to use it properly and accurately, then start shopping
for a bigger caliber
The first rule is get a gun that fits your hand
Go to a gun show, with NO money in your wallet, and just pick up and hold as
many pistols and revolvers as you can
Not the ones that seem to fit your hand well and point naturally for you
The classics like the .45ACP 1911 or the Browning Hi-Power, or the various
current models by CZ.
I personally, am NOT a great fan of Glocks, but try them too

Then go to a range where you can rent some of the guns you are interested in
buying
And shoot about 20 rounds with each

Personally, for a larger caliber beginner's pistol, I recommend a Makarov.
It's a simple and solid pistol
Shoots really well and can take a lot of abuse
Note that the ONLY TRUE Makarovs, were made in Russia, China, East Germany
and Bulgaria
Anything else is NOT a TRUE Makarov even though they may be called that
You can also get a conversion kit to shoot .22LR in them
Just do a Google for Makarov

BDK

Feb 11, 2008, 9:44:18 PM2/11/08
In article <xbadnYahxYMZZS3a...@comcast.com>,
she...@XXXXXXXXsopris.net says...

There are a lot of not too expensive, decent guns out there.

They range from the low to mid $200 range used, on up.

I have two, an Astra A-100, not the most accurate gun around, but
functions flawlessly, regardless of the ammo I put in it, and a
Bernardelli P-018, a little known model not sold here in any really big
numbers. It's much more accurate than the Astra, but is much touchier on
ammo. It's not cheap either. It may go away if the ammo touchiness
doesn't disappear by the. I won't keep a gun that isn't dependable.

Other decent affordable ones are:

EAA Witness, a CZ 75 clone. I have a .45 ACP one, nice gun.
CZ 75 and it's variants.
Taurus 24/7 Pro. A friend has one and it's great. You can buy one for
not much over $300 new on gun auction sites.
There are others out there. Rent a few and buy one you like.

I don't know why, but I have been much luckier with used guns than new.

BDK

Wayne

Feb 11, 2008, 10:07:12 PM2/11/08

"SaPeIsMa" <SaPe...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
In addition to the good advice you are receiving here, you might go to
rec.guns and read/ask questions. It is a moderated newsgroup, and there is
"more signal and less noise".

A 22 cal is an inexpensive way to start. If the shooting bug really bites
you, be prepared to have more than one gun. For example, a semiauto, a
revolver, and a 22 cal semiauto or revolver. You will find that each has
it's own kind of thrill!

Alex Clayton

Feb 11, 2008, 10:28:51 PM2/11/08
"Sheldon" <she...@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
There are way too many great guns to choose from. The best way to make up
your mind is if you can find a range with rentals. Makes a cheap and very
fun way to try several. Then buy one you like best that's in your budget.
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]

LT

Feb 12, 2008, 9:31:25 AM2/12/08
Having bought, sold and traded a fair amount of hand guns in my day let me
suggest. ...

Stick with quality guns. HK, Sig, Glock, Beretta, Walther CZ for autos. SW
& Ruger for revolvers. There are a few others I've probably missed.
These will cost a bit more but will be good guns, and will hold their value
better then a cheap-o if you decide to sell or trade.

For a first time gun, I'd stay away from 1911's or HiPowers. Those are great
guns, but they tend to be "project" guns and not a good choice for the
newbee.

Personally, I like HK and Sig. German made (at least German engendering).
The BMW and Mercedes of the gun world. Glocks are probably the most durable
and shot to shot dependable guns out, but you either like them or you don't,
so they are worth a look see. Good pricing on the Glocks. too.

9mm is your best bet for a first gun. Least expensive of the centerfires,
yet a good defense round.

HTH

Larry T

Mr. Albritton

Feb 12, 2008, 11:19:47 AM2/12/08

You should probably seek out what you are comfortable with. Go to the
ranges, see if they have pistols and revolvers you can rent for the day.
After all, your life *literally* depends on that firearm, and I sure as hell
don't want you firing something you're not comfortable with.

Personally, I'm a big glock fan. Quality pistol, indestructible design.
Lots of high quality after-market products to suit your desires as well.
You can even get a .22 conversion kit for your glock for cost-effective
target practice. (Advantage Arms makes the conversion kit.) NEVER had a
jam with my glock. Chews and spits even the crappiest ammo. (Which happens
to be Wolf with steel casings, but that another discussion.)

Sheldon

Feb 13, 2008, 12:29:10 AM2/13/08

"Wayne" <mygarb...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Thanks, everybody, for all the great advice. The reason I'm tagging the
thanks onto this post is because while everybody is giving me good advice, I
think you are right in that I don't know anybody that only has one gun.
Hell, I have 10 guitars, and each one is different than the other. So, why
not have an assortment of guns for different purposes. My neighbor has
about 5, but he doesn't keep the 44 magnum next to his bed. I've always
loved the Ruger 22 target pistols, and one would be fun at the range.

Thanks again -- everybody. Great advice.

Sheldon

rounddaddy

Mar 3, 2008, 1:19:42 PM3/3/08
On Feb 13, 12:29 am, "Sheldon" <shel...@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
> "Wayne" <mygarbage...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> > "SaPeIsMa" <SaPeI...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> >> "Sheldon" <shel...@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message

> >> Start off with a .22pistollike a Browning Buckmark or Ruger or Walther

> >> Ammo to practice with a .22 will cost you 10% of doing so with a
> >> larger caliber
> >> Sign up for a beginners class
> >> Once you have learned to use it properly and accurately, then start
> >> shopping for a bigger caliber
> >> The first rule is get a gun that fits your hand
> >> Go to a gun show, with NO money in your wallet, and just pick up and hold
> >> as many pistols and revolvers as you can
> >> Not the ones that seem to fit your hand well and point naturally for you
> >> The classics like the .45ACP 1911 or the Browning Hi-Power, or the
> >> various current models by CZ.
> >> I personally, am NOT a great fan of Glocks, but try them too
>
> >> Then go to a range where you can rent some of the guns you are interested
> >> in buying
> >> And shoot about 20 rounds with each
>
> >> Personally, for a larger caliber beginner'spistol, I recommend a

You need to check out this site: http://www.best9mm.com
It has good info and helped me choose a 9mm pistol. It list the best
9mm pistols for under $500. Except for 22LR, 9mm ammo is the cheapest
you can buy.

Alex Cunningham

Mar 3, 2008, 5:06:17 PM3/3/08

> Sheldon

>"rounddaddy" <papp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You need to check out this site: http://www.best9mm.com
> It has good info and helped me choose a 9mm pistol. It list the best
> 9mm pistols for under $500. Except for 22LR, 9mm ammo is the cheapest
> you can buy.

I hear the gangbangers in Toronto are paying ten bucks per round.

--
Cheers!
Alex.C

Wayne

Mar 3, 2008, 5:46:05 PM3/3/08

"Alex Cunningham" <sly_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Holy COW.....$10/round....I go through maybe 10,000 rounds/year of 9mm. I
ought to be selling it instead of shooting it.