What guitar tone do you hate?

已查看 6 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

The Interceptor

未读,
2010年4月24日 06:52:472010/4/24
收件人
The thread on what popular/good guitarist do you hate was eventful, so I
thought I'd try this variant.

A few suggestions to kick things off:
- One might propose that anything Clapton did after dropping the Gibson for
Fender, but the truth is he still got some good sounds out of a
Stratocaster. That said, does Clapton's post Gibson tone get a description
akin to the "Woman Tone" era?
- Vivian Campbell's tone on the Dio album Holy Diver - lack balls for that
sort of music. The title track could do with plenty more "chunk".
- Mick Mars of Motley Crue in the solo for Home Sweet Home (terrible solo
too, and the song isn't much better).

It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every tone
has a home"?

Brett

未知

未读,
2010年4月24日 07:13:022010/4/24
收件人
"The Interceptor" <thisa...@doesnot.wk> wrote in message

Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets

Sorry :(

regards,
dAVE B

saddlebag

未读,
2010年4月24日 07:27:532010/4/24
收件人

Funny, never a big Clapton fan I still far prefer his melodic Strat
stuff to that overly distorted, power chord rich Cream *music.*

I also like the old Dio and Crue tunes you mention, though I find the
new remastered-digitized Home Sweet Home sounds different than it used
to when I had it on vinyl and not for the better.

Besides over done distortion, the one sound or technique that I
usually find most distasteful is using a slide on a standard electric
guitar.

Monster Zero

未读,
2010年4月24日 08:40:142010/4/24
收件人

"The Interceptor" <thisa...@doesnot.wk> wrote in message

Well bad "recorded" tones can be the engineers fault so I judge tone by
people I've seen live and I absolutely loathe Carlos Santana's tone. Can't
stand any electric guitar sound I've heard come out of Tom Scholz's rig.
Every single time I've ever seen Metallica I've hated their guitar tones. I
was not impressed by Zakk Wyldes live sound at all. Never liked Joe Perry's
live sound either.

dvaoa

未读,
2010年4月24日 08:51:452010/4/24
收件人
On Apr 24, 6:52 am, "The Interceptor" <thisaddr...@doesnot.wk> wrote:

> It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every tone
> has a home"?
>
> Brett

Not for me:

-The Beatles' "Revolution" (that infernal buzzy distortion)

-The Doobie Brothers' "China Grove" (the way-too-thin sounding rhythm
guitar riff)

-Anything Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest) experimented with after he
discovered Death Metal; just when you thought you couldn't over-
process a guitar tone any more...

-Most 80's Hair Metal distortion.

If I offended anyone...it's not personal ;-) The cringing comes when
it comes, I can't control it!

-d

Dinosaur_Sr

未读,
2010年4月24日 09:32:282010/4/24
收件人
On Apr 24, 6:52 am, "The Interceptor" <thisaddr...@doesnot.wk> wrote:

I'd have to go with the metal distortion along with any banging on
power chords in general.

I'm putting a lot of time into working my slide technique for a
standard strat (guess I better not post it here if I get happy with
it!)...trying to play Clapton's version of How Long Blues...a little
more easy going though...more in a Pinetop Perkins mode...but I like
the basic Clapton styling of the song even though I hate the way he
performs it.

Steve M. Mann

未读,
2010年4月24日 10:05:482010/4/24
收件人

Which tone do I hate?

Anything except supper distorted over saturated HEAVY METAL tones.
Everything is is WEAK! :)

I'm kidding of course. Actually, if I could duplicate that Gary Moore
'Still Got the Blues' solo tone, I would never look for another.
--
Steve
P R O J E C T - 4 3

Dr. Zontar

未读,
2010年4月24日 10:15:382010/4/24
收件人
On Apr 24, 7:27 am, saddlebag <saddle...@aol.com> wrote:

> Funny, never a big Clapton fan I still far prefer his melodic Strat
> stuff to that overly distorted, power chord rich Cream *music.*

I absolutely *LOVE* Clapton's tone with Cream. I think his sound, and
playing went downhill after he switched to Strats...

> Besides over done distortion, the one sound or technique that I
> usually find most distasteful is using a slide on a standard electric
> guitar.

Wow. Even George Harrison? I love his slide playing.

- Rich

Dr. Zontar

未读,
2010年4月24日 10:17:562010/4/24
收件人
On Apr 24, 8:40 am, "Monster Zero" <rockin...@bragmail.com <remove
bra>> wrote:

> I was not impressed by Zakk Wyldes live sound at all.

It seems like all he really cares about are the pinch harmonics. He's
gotten some good tones in the studio, but live, he's waaaay to trebly.

- Rich

Dr. Zontar

未读,
2010年4月24日 10:24:052010/4/24
收件人
On Apr 24, 9:32 am, Dinosaur_Sr <frostb...@dukesofbiohazard.com>
wrote:

> I'd have to go with the metal distortion along with any banging on
> power chords in general.

That covers an awful lot of ground. Everything from the warm, earthy
tones of early Sabbath to the rattling buzz of Cannibal Corpse falls
under that description.Personally, I like the sound of early metal
(especially Iommi). But the modern stuff sounds too cold and processed
for me.

- Rich

已删除帖子

DeeAa

未读,
2010年4月24日 10:45:522010/4/24
收件人
I don't much like that thick 'guitar hero' saturated and effected
tone. You know, most any guitar hero such as Gary please no moore,
Carlos Santaclaus gave no gifts to, Stevie Why do I need to hear this,
Slash my wrist rather than listen to ( I dunno, the newer stuff might
be good), Satriauchh...the only guitar heroes who seem to get any good
tones are Paul Gilbert sometimes and maybe Jeff Beck. But alas, I
hardly ever listen to that kind of music at all so there may be
others.

Also, I pretty much totally dislike either super-spanky rattles such
as Stevie Ray Yecchan's ;-) plus a lot of the late-2k's numetal stuff.

In my book, every guitarist could and should just pick a suitable tone
from some ac dc album and use that, most would sound 6 times better
they do now :-)

Cheers,

Dee

Squier

未读,
2010年4月24日 10:55:252010/4/24
收件人
> The Interceptor <thisa...@doesnot.wk> wrote:

yeah Eric Johnson is a great player but I don't like his tones.
It always sounds fake and over processed. Kinda like velveeta cheeze whiz.
But he plays so well technically that it always flows out of can smoothly
and melts consistently. All texture and no taste.

Greendistantstar

未读,
2010年4月24日 10:57:582010/4/24
收件人

I love John McLaughlin's playing, but his tone went rapidly downhill after 'Inner Mounting Flame'
and his Santana collaboration. Nowadays, I find him almost unlistenable.

GDS

"Let's roll!"

已删除帖子
已删除帖子

saddlebag

未读,
2010年4月24日 12:16:212010/4/24
收件人
On Apr 24, 10:05 am, "Steve M. Mann" <rockermannLOS...@steve-mann.com>
wrote:

> On 4/24/2010 5:52 AM, The Interceptor wrote:
>
> > The thread on what popular/good guitarist do you hate was eventful, so I
> > thought I'd try this variant.
>
> > A few suggestions to kick things off:
> > - One might propose that anything Clapton did after dropping the Gibson for
> > Fender, but the truth is he still got some good sounds out of a
> > Stratocaster.  That said, does Clapton's post Gibson tone get a description
> > akin to the "Woman Tone" era?
> > - Vivian Campbell's tone on the Dio album Holy Diver - lack balls for that
> > sort of music.  The title track could do with plenty more "chunk".
> > - Mick Mars of Motley Crue in the solo for Home Sweet Home (terrible solo
> > too, and the song isn't much better).
>
> > It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every tone
> > has a home"?
>
> Which tone do I hate?
>
> Anything except supper distorted over saturated HEAVY METAL tones.
> Everything is is WEAK!  :)
>
> I'm kidding of course. Actually, if I could duplicate that Gary Moore
> 'Still Got the Blues' solo tone, I would never look for another.

I like this guy's sound even better and I can come pretty close to
it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap3izIxqeNY

I put a DiMarzio Bluesbucker in the neck of my Tele and play it
thru a gained up Pork Loin into a Fender Deluxe Reverb. And best of
all, my DiMarzios don't hummmm...

jtees4

未读,
2010年4月24日 13:41:552010/4/24
收件人

I'd have to go with modern Clapton for sure.
Solo on We're not gonna take it (Twisted)...bad tone, bad solo IMHO.

****
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=789610
http://www.reviewmymusicnow.com

Les Cargill

未读,
2010年4月24日 15:28:482010/4/24
收件人
Monster Zero <rock...@bragmail.com wrote:
> "The Interceptor"<thisa...@doesnot.wk> wrote in message
>> The thread on what popular/good guitarist do you hate was eventful, so I
>> thought I'd try this variant.
>>
>> A few suggestions to kick things off:
>> - One might propose that anything Clapton did after dropping the Gibson
>> for Fender, but the truth is he still got some good sounds out of a
>> Stratocaster. That said, does Clapton's post Gibson tone get a
>> description akin to the "Woman Tone" era?
>> - Vivian Campbell's tone on the Dio album Holy Diver - lack balls for that
>> sort of music. The title track could do with plenty more "chunk".
>> - Mick Mars of Motley Crue in the solo for Home Sweet Home (terrible solo
>> too, and the song isn't much better).
>>
>> It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every
>> tone has a home"?
>>
>> Brett
>>

> Well bad "recorded" tones can be the engineers fault so I judge tone by
> people I've seen live and I absolutely loathe Carlos Santana's tone. Can't
> stand any electric guitar sound I've heard come out of Tom Scholz's rig.

What's weird is that that tone was very popular at the time. A lot of
people even bought a Rockman.

--
Les Cargill

Rufus

未读,
2010年4月24日 15:32:302010/4/24
收件人

I don't think I've ever heard a guitar tone that I "hate" within the
context of the band it was surrounded by...would I want that sound for
myself?..probably not. But would I "hate" it"..can't say that, either...

--
- Rufus

已删除帖子

dvaoa

未读,
2010年4月24日 16:07:042010/4/24
bra>> wrote:

> Never liked Joe Perry's live sound either.

Joe Perry's studio album guitar tones up to "Toys" are probably my all-
time favorites, along with Rich Robinson's (Black Crowes). Of course,
along with any and all Joe Bonamassa tones ;-)

-d

notbob

未读,
2010年4月24日 16:15:522010/4/24
收件人

I want to ask how much of that sound is the a Vox AC30. I ask cuz I
have a Vox AC30 headphone amp and absolutely love the tone and its
sensitivity to string harmonics. Single finger picking of this device
gives the most awesome harmonics with my Aria Pro II with humbuckers. I
realize this is a solid state toy, but am suddenly intrigued by the
original Vox AC30 tube amps. I have no experience with Vox amps, being
put off for decades by the the crappy QC on their 60s guitars.

Are the AC30 tube amps this cool? Do they give a similar tone? How
do they sound in clean mode. This plug-in loses volume with gain.
I'm looking for an amp with the ability to clean up like, or even
close, to a Fender, but still deliver great overdrive w/o too much
buzz like a MB. I know compromises are jes that, but thought I'd ask.

nb

Tony Done

未读,
2010年4月24日 18:15:052010/4/24
收件人

"The Interceptor" <thisa...@doesnot.wk> wrote in message

As with guitarists, I save my hatreds for more important stuff, but I'm not
wild about anything that has a lot of envelope or ambience effects. Or
loud. - Someone like Roy Buchanan sound greats in recordings, but I bet that
tone is ear-splitting in a live performance.

Tony D

Dinosaur_Sr

未读,
2010年4月24日 19:00:442010/4/24
收件人

A decent point! I was into Black Sabbath when they first came out, but
didn't care for them much after that. Still like the first few
albums...but can you have metal when there is no metal...could you
have called Christ a Christian when he first started out?

Jim

未读,
2010年4月24日 19:24:002010/4/24
收件人
On 4/24/2010 5:51 AM, dvaoa wrote:
> On Apr 24, 6:52 am, "The Interceptor"<thisaddr...@doesnot.wk> wrote:
>
>> It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every tone
>> has a home"?
>>
>> Brett
>
> Not for me:
>
> -The Beatles' "Revolution" (that infernal buzzy distortion)

I think that was the mixing board (on purpose, of course).

已删除帖子

jtees4

未读,
2010年4月24日 19:36:282010/4/24
收件人
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:15:05 GMT, "Tony Done" <tony...@bigpond.com>
wrote:

I saw Roy only once, and it was not ear splitting at all. It sounded
great. I was young and really didn't pay much attention to his amps or
anything, but I was impressed with both his tone and playing.

jtees4

未读,
2010年4月24日 19:37:532010/4/24
收件人
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:05:48 -0500, "Steve M. Mann"
<rockerma...@steve-mann.com> wrote:

>On 4/24/2010 5:52 AM, The Interceptor wrote:
>
>> The thread on what popular/good guitarist do you hate was eventful, so I
>> thought I'd try this variant.
>>
>> A few suggestions to kick things off:
>> - One might propose that anything Clapton did after dropping the Gibson for
>> Fender, but the truth is he still got some good sounds out of a
>> Stratocaster. That said, does Clapton's post Gibson tone get a description
>> akin to the "Woman Tone" era?
>> - Vivian Campbell's tone on the Dio album Holy Diver - lack balls for that
>> sort of music. The title track could do with plenty more "chunk".
>> - Mick Mars of Motley Crue in the solo for Home Sweet Home (terrible solo
>> too, and the song isn't much better).
>>
>> It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every tone
>> has a home"?
>
>Which tone do I hate?
>
>Anything except supper distorted over saturated HEAVY METAL tones.
>Everything is is WEAK! :)
>
>I'm kidding of course. Actually, if I could duplicate that Gary Moore
>'Still Got the Blues' solo tone, I would never look for another.

I was just listening to Gary Moore - Not The Only Fool In Town....love
that upbeat blues of his sometimes. And yes, I loved the tone too.

jtees4

未读,
2010年4月24日 19:40:552010/4/24
收件人
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 08:40:14 -0400, "Monster Zero"
<rock...@bragmail.com <remove bra>> wrote:

>"The Interceptor" <thisa...@doesnot.wk> wrote in message

>> The thread on what popular/good guitarist do you hate was eventful, so I
>> thought I'd try this variant.
>>
>> A few suggestions to kick things off:
>> - One might propose that anything Clapton did after dropping the Gibson
>> for Fender, but the truth is he still got some good sounds out of a
>> Stratocaster. That said, does Clapton's post Gibson tone get a
>> description akin to the "Woman Tone" era?
>> - Vivian Campbell's tone on the Dio album Holy Diver - lack balls for that
>> sort of music. The title track could do with plenty more "chunk".
>> - Mick Mars of Motley Crue in the solo for Home Sweet Home (terrible solo
>> too, and the song isn't much better).
>>
>> It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every
>> tone has a home"?
>>

>> Brett
>>

>Well bad "recorded" tones can be the engineers fault so I judge tone by
>people I've seen live and I absolutely loathe Carlos Santana's tone. Can't
>stand any electric guitar sound I've heard come out of Tom Scholz's rig.

>Every single time I've ever seen Metallica I've hated their guitar tones. I

>was not impressed by Zakk Wyldes live sound at all. Never liked Joe Perry's
>live sound either.

Santana is all over the map. Sometimes some of the best tone,
sometimes the worst. I loved Marbles and She's Not There....but a lot
of his recent stuff does not have great tone IMHO.

已删除帖子

jtees4

未读,
2010年4月24日 20:01:082010/4/24
收件人

>-The Doobie Brothers' "China Grove" (the way-too-thin sounding rhythm
>guitar riff)
>
>-d

True! good song, bad tone. The tone reminds me of some guitar stuff on
Elton John records, can't remember exactly which songs right now.

The Interceptor

未读,
2010年4月24日 20:36:512010/4/24
收件人

"New B." <new...@bix.nex> wrote in message

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:52:47 +0800, "The Interceptor"
> <thisa...@doesnot.wk> wrote:
>
>>The thread on what popular/good guitarist do you hate was eventful, so I
>>thought I'd try this variant.
>>
>>A few suggestions to kick things off:
>>- One might propose that anything Clapton did after dropping the Gibson
>>for
>>Fender, but the truth is he still got some good sounds out of a
>>Stratocaster. That said, does Clapton's post Gibson tone get a
>>description
>>akin to the "Woman Tone" era?
>>- Vivian Campbell's tone on the Dio album Holy Diver - lack balls for that
>>sort of music. The title track could do with plenty more "chunk".
>>- Mick Mars of Motley Crue in the solo for Home Sweet Home (terrible solo
>>too, and the song isn't much better).
>>
>>It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every
>>tone
>>has a home"?
>>
>>Brett
>>

> Just like there is an ass for every seat ?
>
> My perosnal doofus wurst guitfiddle tones are from
> "Boston" and "Journey"
>
> Talk about *suck-tone* that there is the definitive definition.
>
> Actually thought that "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs"
> <Derek and the Dominos>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_and_the_Dominos
>

> Definitive "strat through a marshall" tone.
> Do you think Clapton did the slide solo in one take ?

I thought it was a Strat through a Fender Champ or something small. And
Duane Allman did the slide solo.

Brett

> The only HB that I like is the bridge 'pearly'.
> I even put them in el-cheapo squier strats
>
> Yeah, know the pup is worth more than the entire guitar.
> Sometimes in the search for tone we do silly things.
> Just consider them as 'experiments'...
>

> Now if I could only find a nice, light, mahogany gold top...
> with vintage PAF's (seth lover) at the bridge...
> Not those bloody P-90s
>
> Sorry, don't have 50K+ laying around for that...
> nor anything else for that matter...
>
> The re-issues are just too expensive.

dvaoa

未读,
2010年4月24日 21:48:022010/4/24
收件人
On Apr 24, 8:01 pm, jtees4 <jte...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >-The Doobie Brothers' "China Grove" (the way-too-thin sounding rhythm
> >guitar riff)
>
> >-d
>
> True! good song, bad tone. The tone reminds me of some guitar stuff on
> Elton John records, can't remember exactly which songs right now.

Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting? I think you're right. But to
me, Davey Johnstone's tone is a little fuller.

-d

Mike Alpha

未读,
2010年4月24日 22:33:042010/4/24
收件人

"Jim" <inse@ttle> wrote in message

I read somewhere it was torn speaker cone...

Mike

jtees4

未读,
2010年4月24日 22:37:312010/4/24
收件人
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:48:02 -0700 (PDT), dvaoa <dv...@altavista.com>
wrote:

I think it is that one, I don't generally listen to Elton anymore. If
I remember correctly, it was probably more the mastering that made the
guitar sound that way...I know the guy can play.

RichL

未读,
2010年4月24日 23:40:532010/4/24
收件人
"notbob" <not...@nothome.com> wrote in message

> On 2010-04-24, Dr. Zontar <drzo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 24, 7:27 am, saddlebag <saddle...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>> Besides over done distortion, the one sound or technique that I
>>> usually find most distasteful is using a slide on a standard electric
>>> guitar.
>>

>> Wow. Even George Harrison? I love his slide playing.
>
> I want to ask how much of that sound is the a Vox AC30.

I think George was playing mostly Fender amps by the time he became a good
slide player.

> I ask cuz I
> have a Vox AC30 headphone amp and absolutely love the tone and its
> sensitivity to string harmonics. Single finger picking of this device
> gives the most awesome harmonics with my Aria Pro II with humbuckers. I
> realize this is a solid state toy, but am suddenly intrigued by the
> original Vox AC30 tube amps. I have no experience with Vox amps, being
> put off for decades by the the crappy QC on their 60s guitars.
>
> Are the AC30 tube amps this cool? Do they give a similar tone? How
> do they sound in clean mode. This plug-in loses volume with gain.
> I'm looking for an amp with the ability to clean up like, or even
> close, to a Fender, but still deliver great overdrive w/o too much
> buzz like a MB. I know compromises are jes that, but thought I'd ask.

My early 90s Vox AC30 is by far my favorite amp (more so than my Marshall
JCM 800 2204 or Fender Twin Reverb). It does clean up very nicely, in fact
I use it mainly for clean or semi-clean sounds. It's more high-midrangey
than a Fender though. Like in early Beatles recordings. To me it's one of
the few amps that really shines throughout its gain range. Get the volume
up about halfway and it gets a little crunchy but it's a very pleasing
crunch.

RichL

未读,
2010年4月24日 23:42:362010/4/24
收件人
"Les Cargill" <lcarg...@comcast.net> wrote in message

It's a matter of individual taste, I suppose. I love that tone, and Brian
May's as well.

RichL

未读,
2010年4月24日 23:47:062010/4/24
收件人
"The Interceptor" <thisa...@doesnot.wk> wrote in message

Yes, and if he did more than one take to get that badly-intonated solo, it's
a definite black mark on his slide ability.

RichL

未读,
2010年4月24日 23:50:572010/4/24
收件人
"The Interceptor" <thisa...@doesnot.wk> wrote in message

> The thread on what popular/good guitarist do you hate was eventful, so I
> thought I'd try this variant.
>
> A few suggestions to kick things off:
> - One might propose that anything Clapton did after dropping the Gibson
> for Fender, but the truth is he still got some good sounds out of a
> Stratocaster.

My comment (in an earlier thread) about Clapton losing it when he switched
to a Strat didn't intend to imply that his Strat tone was bad; it's
generally pretty nice, actually. It's more a matter that he ran out,
creativity-wise, in my view.

> That said, does Clapton's post Gibson tone get a description akin to the
> "Woman Tone" era?

No, it's a totally different sound. The "woman tone" thing is basically
neck humbucker with the tone backed off running into an overdriven,
midrangey amp (like a Marshall).

> It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every
> tone has a home"?

Mostly, although to my ears there's a special place in hell reserved for the
sub-class of metal players with highly scooped EQ accompanied by a drummer
whacking off sixteenth notes on a kick drum :-)

WB

未读,
2010年4月24日 23:54:012010/4/24
收件人
On 4/24/2010 10:47 PM, RichL wrote:

>> I thought it was a Strat through a Fender Champ or something small.
>> And Duane Allman did the slide solo.
>
> it's a definite black mark on his slide ability.

years ago I caught a show with the producer of that album Layla
was on, and the song was cut in segments , each Clapton and Duane
playing alone. The final mix was actually a collection of
Duanes slide parts faded in and out if I recall.

Nil

未读,
2010年4月25日 00:19:092010/4/25
收件人
On 24 Apr 2010, New B. <new...@bix.nex> wrote in alt.guitar:

> Nope, that is the built in 'fuzz' in the Vox 'Beatle'
>
> Commonly called the Super Beatle.
> 4 X 12 + 2 X Horns
> Proudly displaying "Solid State"
> 2 Ohm load

No, it really was an overdriven mixing console.

From Recording The Beatles, by Brian Kehew and Kevin Ryan:

"The sound of the guitars, in fact, was unlike that heard on any other
Beatles recording, and there was a good reason for this. Foregoing the
standard method of playing through mic'd guitar cabinets on the studio
floor, the guitars and bass were plugged directly into the desk using
DIT boxes. The REDD.47 mic amplifiers inside the desk were then
overloaded, creating a unique distortion unlike that produced by a
guitar amp. Balance Engineer Ken Scott remembers stopping into Studio
Three while this session was underway: " I remember walking into the
Control Room when they were cutting that, and there was John, Paul, and
George, all in the Control Room, all plugged in - just playing straight
through the board - and Ringo was outside in Number Three playing
drums. All of the guitar distortion was gotten just by overloading the
mic amps in the desk. I've since tried to recreate the sound and you
just don't get even close."

I like it. It's an ugly sound, but totally appropriate for the song.
The same trick has been used other times. I've heard it on a Fleetwood
Mac song somewhere, and it's very prominent on Led Zeppelin's "Black
Dog". And when I was a young guitarling, I got a similar sound by
putting my guitar through this little portable tape recorder, then that
would overdrive the inputs of my parent's stereo. I'm surprised I never
fried their speakers.

Nil

未读,
2010年4月25日 00:20:222010/4/25
收件人
On 24 Apr 2010, jtees4 <jte...@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.guitar:

>>-The Doobie Brothers' "China Grove" (the way-too-thin sounding
>>rhythm guitar riff)
>

> True! good song, bad tone. The tone reminds me of some guitar
> stuff on Elton John records, can't remember exactly which songs
> right now.

I like the rhythm guitar tone just fine in that song. I don't like the
lead guitar sound much, though.

notbob

未读,
2010年4月25日 02:14:132010/4/25
收件人
On 2010-04-25, RichL <rple...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My early 90s Vox AC30 is by far my favorite amp (more so than my Marshall
> JCM 800 2204 or Fender Twin Reverb). It does clean up very nicely, in fact
> I use it mainly for clean or semi-clean sounds. It's more high-midrangey
> than a Fender though. Like in early Beatles recordings. To me it's one of
> the few amps that really shines throughout its gain range. Get the volume
> up about halfway and it gets a little crunchy but it's a very pleasing
> crunch.

Thank you for that straight ahead opinion, Rich. I'll definitely make
it a point to do a hands-on when I get the opportunity. ;)

nb

RichL

未读,
2010年4月25日 10:26:512010/4/25
收件人
"notbob" <not...@nothome.com> wrote in message

I should mention for completeness that my AC30 is in the shop a lot. I just
got it back, as a matter of fact.

dvaoa

未读,
2010年4月25日 13:10:212010/4/25
收件人
On Apr 24, 11:50 pm, "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mostly, although to my ears there's a special place in hell reserved for the
> sub-class of metal players with highly scooped EQ accompanied by a drummer
> whacking off sixteenth notes on a kick drum :-)

Not a fan of Dragonforce, I take it ;-)

Seriously, I could really like a band like Children of Bodom...if it
weren't for the Cookie Monster vocals & machine gun drumming. They're
pretty talented musicians, in a neo-classical kinda way. Drives me
nuts when even extreme music shows healthy signs of melody, only to
have the vocals annihilate it. Shadows Fall is another band like
that.

-d

bub

未读,
2010年4月25日 16:45:282010/4/25
收件人
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 23:50:57 -0400, "RichL" <rple...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My comment (in an earlier thread) about Clapton losing it when he switched
>to a Strat didn't intend to imply that his Strat tone was bad; it's
>generally pretty nice, actually. It's more a matter that he ran out,
>creativity-wise, in my view.

He brought a Strat to the Cream reunion. Fender amps too. The same horrible
mushy tone he's had for years. Is that collateral damage from drug abuse, is he
too feeble to hold a Gibson or is it that he just doesn't care anymore?

bub

未读,
2010年4月25日 17:00:082010/4/25
收件人
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 20:01:08 -0400, jtees4 <jte...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>-The Doobie Brothers' "China Grove" (the way-too-thin sounding rhythm
>>guitar riff)

Rik Ocasek. Some of his solo intros, i.e. Moving In Stereo just sounded nasty,
but blended in OK when the rest of the band came in.

Some of Lennon's late - era - Beatles tones....bridge pickup, tone knob all the
way down, i.e. the Get Back leads. Or his super-fuzz solos in The End. I don't
mean to be blaphemous here, but these sounds coming from the man who gave us I
Feel Fine? C'mon...

I blame these settings on Yoko.

Tony Done

未读,
2010年4月25日 17:28:222010/4/25
收件人

"jtees4" <jte...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I have a copy of the soundtrack from a vid of him playing CC Rider in
concert with a keyboard accompaniment, but unfortunately I can't find the
vid again on Youtube. The playing, arrangement and tone are great, one of my
"practice to improve my skills" pieces, but I think that high-pitched scream
at the edge of feedback might make your ears bleed if you were close to the
speakers!

Tony D

Claude V. Lucas

未读,
2010年4月25日 17:48:572010/4/25
收件人
In article <Wt2Bn.21407$pv....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,

When I was a sprout Roy B. used to play an all ages matinee at a local
watering hole ( and give lessons ). He definitely wasn't opposed to
cranking the treble on his Vibrolux Reverb but it was bearable unless
one was too close. I'd guess that later on he got louder and more piercing.
Sometimes he'd point the amp at the back of the stage but with an open back...

nm...@wt.net

未读,
2010年4月25日 18:01:232010/4/25
收件人
On Apr 25, 4:48 pm, clau...@sonic.net (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:

> Sometimes he'd point the amp at the back of the stage but with an open back...

That's my normal way of running my Super Reverb.. I tilt it on it's
legs
and point it backwards. Which is often against a wall, which reflects
the
sound back a bit.
I don't like the sound of amps that are pointing right at me, or
sitting
way up high pointing forward. I like to hear more of an indirect
sound.
Also for smaller joints, pointing back can mute the sound a bit, which
lets me run the amp slightly higher and get mo tone.

nm...@wt.net

未读,
2010年4月25日 18:09:322010/4/25
收件人
On Apr 24, 5:52 am, "The Interceptor" <thisaddr...@doesnot.wk> wrote:

> It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every tone
> has a home"?
>
> Brett

I don't think there is any tone that I really hate. Tone is just
tone. No mo, no less. I'd rather listen to a good player with
crappy tone, than a lousy player with killer tone.
It's playing mistakes, timing mistakes, and song boredom that
bother me. Not tone.. :/
This is not to say some songs won't sound better or worse with
different tones, but that story is for another book, and I'm
too lazy to write it.

Claude V. Lucas

未读,
2010年4月25日 18:10:232010/4/25
收件人
In article <ed2cff89-c419-4d72...@j17g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

It's a good way to tame the volume monster.

Do you notice any loss of any highs in the reflections?

Has anyone you trust commented on the back of the room sound?

When I saw Link Wray(RIP) before he died he was cranking a Marshall
half-stack in a small club and it was bearable because he was Link
and because he had the speaker pointed at the back of the stage.

It sounded great to me in any part of the room until his roadie/helper
handed him a Strat that was out of tune worse than anything I've heard.

Ever.

I'd have had that guy on the bus home that night, but it might have
been his kid or something...

Any more if it's too loud, I'm gone...

nm...@wt.net

未读,
2010年4月25日 23:37:552010/4/25
收件人
On Apr 25, 5:10 pm, clau...@sonic.net (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:

> >Also for smaller joints, pointing back can mute the sound a bit, which
> >lets me run the amp slightly higher and get mo tone.
>
> It's a good way to tame the volume monster.

It can help cuz it's not beaming the people in the face.

> Do you notice any loss of any highs in the reflections?

Depends on the room, and whats behind the amp.
Small room and hard wall, not too much.
Bigger room and soft or no wall, yep it can round off the
highs a tad. But not enough to be a problem. In some
cases, the tone will sound a bit smoother with the lesser
highs.

> Has anyone you trust commented on the back of the room sound?

Not really. Never really asked anyone.. But I can tell pretty
well myself by how it's mixing with the other amps once
everyone is fired up. Of course, generally that amp sounds
great. The four tens move some air even pointing backwards.
Great blues boy amp.. But I also manage to coax some rawk out
of it under the clinical supervision of my doktor and a pedal or two.

> When I saw Link Wray(RIP) before he died he was cranking a Marshall
> half-stack in a small club and it was bearable because he was Link
> and because he had the speaker pointed at the back of the stage.
>
> It sounded great to me in any part of the room until his roadie/helper
> handed him a Strat that was out of tune worse than anything I've heard.
>
> Ever.

Ouch.. Poor tuning trumps funky tone any day.. :/

已删除帖子

Wrong_Note_Rod

未读,
2010年4月26日 11:17:382010/4/26
收件人

I read that it was jacked straight into the console with the input fader
cranked all the way up.

jimmy

未读,
2010年4月26日 11:30:512010/4/26
收件人
<thisa...@doesnot.wk> wrote:

>The thread on what popular/good guitarist do you hate was eventful, so I
>thought I'd try this variant.
>
>A few suggestions to kick things off:
>- One might propose that anything Clapton did after dropping the Gibson for
>Fender, but the truth is he still got some good sounds out of a
>Stratocaster. That said, does Clapton's post Gibson tone get a description
>akin to the "Woman Tone" era?
>- Vivian Campbell's tone on the Dio album Holy Diver - lack balls for that
>sort of music. The title track could do with plenty more "chunk".
>- Mick Mars of Motley Crue in the solo for Home Sweet Home (terrible solo
>too, and the song isn't much better).
>

>It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every tone
>has a home"?
>
>Brett

Might already be listed but, Johnny Winter's slide tone when I saw him
a while back could peel paint. Absolutely deafening. I know, Johnny
is the man but, icepicks are icepicks. Maybe it was just too
loud...whatever....it was murder. Thankfully his non-slide playing
took up most of the set and it was completely masterful.

tony

Phantom Post

未读,
2010年4月26日 11:34:352010/4/26
收件人
WB <sp...@there.com> wrote in news:4bd3bcdd$0$12453$bbae4d71
@news.suddenlink.net:

> years ago I caught a show with the producer of that album Layla
> was on, and the song was cut in segments , each Clapton and Duane
> playing alone. The final mix was actually a collection of
> Duanes slide parts faded in and out if I recall.

There's a DVD out, "Tom Dowd & the Language of Music". He produced Layla
and a ton of other stuff. It's discussed at length but I don't remember
the details right now. Duane did play the slide, however, not EC.

--

Pat

email: valid would be net

Squier

未读,
2010年4月26日 12:44:542010/4/26
收件人
> bub <d...@in.net> wrote:

If a a major guitar and amp maker was paying me rather nicely to
play its guitars and amps and also has a signature model of mine
in production for many years then I would gladly play their guitars
and amps. What's so wrong with making a good living doing what you
love to do and having an excellent contract with a major gear maker (Fender).
Sounds good to me. I don't think his contract with fender in any way
hampers his ability to be creative or detracts from anything artistic.
If he is failing artistically then it's not because of his contract
with Fender. That's all on him.

Wrong_Note_Rod

未读,
2010年4月26日 13:03:592010/4/26
收件人

in the first place, i thought he sounded great on the Cream thing. Clapton
has been playing Fenders since the early 70s. I also heard somewhere that
either Clapton or Bruce said, when Cream first got back together, they got
out all the old stuff,the old guitars and giant amps, and tried to play
like that... but it was just too damned loud and they werent comfortable
working like that anymore, so they just used what they were used to

Nil

未读,
2010年4月26日 13:17:502010/4/26
收件人
On 26 Apr 2010, Wrong_Note_Rod <wrongn...@yahoo.com> wrote in
alt.guitar:

> I also heard somewhere that either Clapton or Bruce said, when
> Cream first got back together, they got out all the old stuff,the
> old guitars and giant amps, and tried to play like that... but it
> was just too damned loud and they werent comfortable working like
> that anymore, so they just used what they were used to

That's true - it's discussed in the interviews on the DVD.

I saw the Cream reunion show in London. It actually sounded better
to me in the Hall - the fizziness that I hear in the recording was
smoothed out by the room's acoustics.

jtees4

未读,
2010年4月27日 16:25:282010/4/27
收件人

AGREED! How many of us would play just about any brand if a company
wanted us? I know I would.

JJ-UK

未读,
2010年4月30日 17:45:162010/4/30
收件人
The Interceptor wrote:
> The thread on what popular/good guitarist do you hate was eventful, so I
> thought I'd try this variant.
>
> A few suggestions to kick things off:
> - One might propose that anything Clapton did after dropping the Gibson for
> Fender, but the truth is he still got some good sounds out of a
> Stratocaster. That said, does Clapton's post Gibson tone get a description
> akin to the "Woman Tone" era?
> - Vivian Campbell's tone on the Dio album Holy Diver - lack balls for that
> sort of music. The title track could do with plenty more "chunk".
> - Mick Mars of Motley Crue in the solo for Home Sweet Home (terrible solo
> too, and the song isn't much better).
>
> It's actually not that easy to find a tone that I hate: perhaps "every tone
> has a home"?
>
> Brett

Pretty much any time the guitar is DI'd straight in to the desk
producing a dry, false-sounding distortion. Horrid.

JJ (UK)

Les Cargill

未读,
2010年4月30日 17:52:012010/4/30
收件人

Only if you do it wrong. Page used that (frequently), many, many
others have as well ( Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Knopfler,... )

--
Les Cargill

Nil

未读,
2010年4月30日 18:21:272010/4/30
收件人
On 30 Apr 2010, Les Cargill <lcarg...@comcast.net> wrote in
alt.guitar:

> Only if you do it wrong. Page used that (frequently), many, many
> others have as well ( Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Knopfler,... )

Linday Buckingham, Dave Edmunds,...

Geetar Dave

未读,
2010年4月30日 20:00:292010/4/30
收件人
Many of Steve Howe's tone choices on those old Yes albums just made me
cringe when I heard them. To be fair, I haven't listened to old Yes
songs in a very long time.

-dave-----:::
www.myspace.com/geetardave

已删除帖子

Les Cargill

未读,
2010年4月30日 20:15:192010/4/30
收件人
New B. wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:52:01 -0400, Les Cargill
> <lcarg...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>> Pretty much any time the guitar is DI'd straight in to the desk
>>> producing a dry, false-sounding distortion. Horrid.
>>>
>>> JJ (UK)
>>
>> Only if you do it wrong. Page used that (frequently), many, many
>> others have as well ( Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Knopfler,... )
>>
>> --
>> Les Cargill
>

> EVH ?

Not sure. Possibly on "Finish What You Started", for one.

--
Les Cargill

Les Cargill

未读,
2010年4月30日 20:17:082010/4/30
收件人

One that is so bad it is kinda cool is on "Space Oddity" by Bowie.
Something solid state is complaining big time - probably
a channel strip.

--
Les Cargill

Lohan, Lindsay

未读,
2010年5月22日 23:01:472010/5/22
收件人

"RichL" <rple...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Now THAT was a troll...

Lohan, Lindsay

未读,
2010年5月22日 23:12:572010/5/22
收件人

"Wrong_Note_Rod" <wrongn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
\because of his contract

>> with Fender. That's all on him.
>

> in the first place, i thought he sounded great on the Cream thing. Clapton
> has been playing Fenders since the early 70s. I also heard somewhere that
> either Clapton or Bruce said, when Cream first got back together, they got
> out all the old stuff,the old guitars and giant amps, and tried to play
> like that... but it was just too damned loud and they werent comfortable
> working like that anymore, so they just used what they were used to

sorry about that s

0 个新帖子