Re: Wiring Strato-like...

Message has been deleted

LULU

Oct 4, 2012, 7:23:19 AM10/4/12
On Oct 4, 3:04 am, sap...@gmail.com (SAP) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if the question is already asked, I'm new here and I serch in last
> 400 post without seen anything.
> Sorry also for my poor english, I hope you understand too.
>
> I search for a wiring scheme, for my Charvel So-Cal mod:
>
> I already found a pickguard and mounted this PU: DiMarzio FastTrack1 in
> neck position, a Fender Single Coil in middle position and the original
> full HB DiMarzio ToneZone in Bridge position.
>
> I also have a standard switch 5 position fender and a master volume and
> master tone pot (500K and 250K).
>
> My goal is to have all standard positions (with no splitting of HB)
> except for position 3 of the switch: I will like to have neck+bridge PU.
>
> Where can I found a proper or similar wiring scheme?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Giocare col mondo, facendolo a pezzi...
> Bambini che il sole, ha ridotto gia'... vecchi.

===================================

Start here SAP:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

Good Luck,
Lulu : )

===================================

Squier

Oct 4, 2012, 7:24:49 AM10/4/12
> SAP <sap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if the question is already asked, I'm new here and I serch in last
> 400 post without seen anything.
> Sorry also for my poor english, I hope you understand too.
>
> I search for a wiring scheme, for my Charvel So-Cal mod:
>
> I already found a pickguard and mounted this PU: DiMarzio FastTrack1 in
> neck position, a Fender Single Coil in middle position and the original
> full HB DiMarzio ToneZone in Bridge position.
>
> I also have a standard switch 5 position fender and a master volume and
> master tone pot (500K and 250K).
>
> My goal is to have all standard positions (with no splitting of HB)
> except for position 3 of the switch: I will like to have neck+bridge PU.
>
> Where can I found a proper or similar wiring scheme?
>
> Thanks in advance.

well... with a standard 5 way stratocaster switch you can only
have 5 distinct selections (you want to have all standard 5 selections
plus a 6th selection of neck and bridge). This is one too many selections
for the switch you are using unless further wiring and electronic upgrade is done.
You can only get 5 selections from a 5 way switch. (assuming non-push/pull controls
and conventional 5 way single lug selector switch).

The easiest thing to do and will let you keep your current setup
involves only the switching of 2 wires (you don't have to move anything
or do anything else).

Follow the wire from your neck pickup that goes to the 5 way selector
and follow the wire from your middle pickup that goes to the 5 way selector.
Unsolder these wires and switch their positions on the 5 way selector.
The neck pickup wire will now be soldered to where the middle pickup wire was.
And the middle pickup wire will now be soldered to where the neck pickup was
soldered on the 5 way.

Now you will have the following pickup combinations available.
Position 1 = bridge (humbucker) only
Position 2 = bridge + neck
Position 3 = neck only
Position 4 = neck + middle
Position 5 = middle only

The only pickupp selection being lost is bridge + middle but in trade
you are gaining the neck + bridge. The only other caveat is that you
will get used to the selector all the way up is now 'middle only' (instead of
neck only) and when the selector is in the middle position it will actually
be the 'neck' pickup.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Flasherly

Oct 4, 2012, 11:39:08 AM10/4/12
On Oct 4, 9:13 am, sap...@gmail.com (SAP) wrote:
> SAP <sap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry, it's my fault, this is what I want
>
> It's a standard stratocaster wiring except for the position 3
> (neck+bridge).
>
> I'm not interested in this guitar having position 3 only for middle PU.
>
> --
> Giocare col mondo, facendolo a pezzi...
> Bambini che il sole, ha ridotto gia'... vecchi.

Standard strat switch - 8 contacts: 2 rows of stages or 4 contacts
each.

Then there's this

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Sep/Introducing_Fenders_5_Way_Super_Switch.aspx

Super switch - 6 contacts on 4 stages. Easy to find although there's
also one bigger in 8 stages.

The supers in 4 stage I've also seen in narrow/mini width profiles, so
you don't have to widen it by routing.

That or a bank of mini-toggles, combo's, either/or way you'll have to
sit down and figure it out.

I've a 5-way selector and holes drilled between tone and volume for
two 3-way toggle switches in a 3-PU telecaster. Yep - just like a
plate full of spaghetti in there.

jh

Oct 4, 2012, 3:38:23 PM10/4/12
Am 04.10.2012 15:08, schrieb SAP:
> Squier<squ...@strats.net> wrote:
>
>> well... with a standard 5 way stratocaster switch you can only
>> have 5 distinct selections (you want to have all standard 5 selections
>> plus a 6th selection of neck and bridge).
>
> Sorry, it's my fault, this is what I want (it's a simple setup):
>
> Position 1 = bridge (humbucker) only
> Position 2 = bridge + middle
> Position 3 = bridge + neck
> Position 4 = neck + middle
> Position 5 = neck only

sorry,

the standard switch won't do that.

You'll have to find some kind of "Megaswitch"

regards

Jochen

Tony Done

Oct 4, 2012, 8:06:33 PM10/4/12
On Oct 4, 11:08 pm, sap...@gmail.com (SAP) wrote:
> Squier <squ...@strats.net> wrote:
> > well... with a standard 5 way stratocaster switch you can only
> > have 5 distinct selections (you want to have all standard 5 selections
> > plus a 6th selection of neck and bridge).
>
> Sorry, it's my fault, this is what I want (it's a simple setup):
>
> Position 1 = bridge (humbucker) only
> Position 2 = bridge + middle
> Position 3 = bridge + neck
> Position 4 = neck + middle
> Position 5 = neck only
>
> --
> Giocare col mondo, facendolo a pezzi...
> Bambini che il sole, ha ridotto gia'... vecchi.

You can cover those options with either a push-pull pot, or replace
one of the tone controls with a switch, or make another hole for a
switch in the pickguard - I use the second option. The switch engages
the neck pickup with any other combination, so you get all five
standard strat options, plus b+n and b+m+n.

Tony D
Message has been deleted

RichL

Oct 5, 2012, 6:32:58 PM10/5/12
"SAP" <sap...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> jh <us...@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> sorry,
>> the standard switch won't do that.
>> You'll have to find some kind of "Megaswitch"
>
> Ouch :-/
>
> Ok, And if I use the third pot on pickguard as a blender option for the
> middle pickup?

Yeah, that's do-able.

I bought this for my Strat:

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/ToneShaper-for-Stratocaster-P2032C218.aspx

It allows you to set different wiring configurations. The one I like best
is the one they call "(VOLUME | TONE | BLENDER)", which allows you to blend
either bridge or neck pickups into the standard strat configurations. That
is, with the selector switch in the bridge position, you can blend in neck.
With the selector switch in the bridge + middle position, you can also blend
in neck, and so on. So the thing is, you can get any combination of
pickups.

And if I get bored with that, I just change a couple of the little dip
switches on the assembly next time I'm changing strings, and I can set it up
for one of the other configurations they mention.

It also has a bank of different tone caps, so you can change them too.

Bruce Morgen

Oct 5, 2012, 7:01:46 PM10/5/12
sap...@gmail.com (SAP) wrote:

>jh <us...@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> sorry,
>> the standard switch won't do that.
>> You'll have to find some kind of "Megaswitch"
>
>Ouch :-/
>
>Ok, And if I use the third pot on pickguard as a blender option for the
>middle pickup?

You can even do that with
a Tele switch:

<http://s1203.beta.photobucket.com/user/wildepickups/media/Wiring%20Diagrams/jimiwiring.jpg.html>