Battle Of The 60's Bands II

1 view

curtjester1

May 26, 2009, 10:02:27 PM5/26/09
Here it is, the battle of the bands for groups that did their music
thing at least somewhere in the 60's. I am sure there are lots
missing, and for it to be a 'battle', I tried pitting a group that
would at least have some sort of similarity between the other. That
might be stretching it. The idea is to either vote, give a rating, or
make a comment about the 'battle'. Of course if you don't like the
selections, you can add yer own, and tell how bad the selections are
too...:). On rating, we did a 0 -10 last year, and that of course can
include, likes, influence, talent, poetry..etc. etc. Have fun, and
good luck. One group decided to do a 4-6, 6-4 type of rating, and I
thought that was good.

1. The Beatles vs. The Beach Boys
2. The Blues Magoos vs. 13th Floor Elevators
3. Climax Blues Band vs. The Seeds
4. Chicago vs. Santana
5. Pink Floyd vs. The Moody Blues
6. Big Brother and the Holding Company vs. Country Joe and the Fish
7. Black Sabbath vs. Mothers of Invention
8. Led Zeppelin vs. The Who
9. The Four Freshmen vs. The Four Seasons
10. The Ventures vs. Jan & Dean
11. Buffalo Springfield vs. C,S, N, & Y
12. The Zombies vs. Paul Revere & The Raiders
13. The Shondells vs. The Rascals
14. Cream vs. The Yardbirds
15. The Byrds vs. The Lovin' Spoonful
16. The Searchers vs. The Vogues
17. The Animals vs. The Rolling Stones
18. Herman's Hermits vs. The Turtles
19. The Monkees vs. The Dave Clark Five
20. Procul Harem vs. Deep Purple
21. Traffic vs. Blind Faith
22. Strawberry Alarm Clock vs. Vanilla Fudge
23. Small Faces vs. Them
24. Jimi Hendrix Experience vs. The Doors
25. The Bee Gees vs. The Mamas and Papas
26. Captain Beefheart (The Magic Band) vs. Iron Butterfly
27. The Beau Brummels vs. The Seekers
28. Gerry and the Pacemakers vs. The Standells
29. Jefferson Airplane vs. Velvet Underground
30. The Skyliners vs. Dion and the Belmonts
31. The Deltones vs. Gary Lewis & The Playboys
32. The Hollies vs. The Kinks
33. The Band vs. The Grateful Dead
34. The Isley Brothers vs. The Miracles
35. The Impressions vs. The Drifters
36. The Crickets vs. The Comets
37. The Everly Brothers vs. Sonny & Cher
38. Peter & Gordon vs. Chad & Jeremy
39. Quicksilver Messenger Service vs. Moby Grape
40. The Allman Brothers vs. Credence Clearwater Revival
41. The Electic Prunes vs. The Amboy Dukes
42. The Chambers Brothers vs. Sly & The Family Stone
43. The Righteous Brothers vs. Simon & Garfunkel
44. The Spencer Davis Group vs. Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels
45. The Shirelles vs. The Supremes
46. The Grassroots vs. The Association
47. The Coasters vs. The Pharoahs
48. The Kingston Trio vs. Peter, Paul, and Mary
49. The Temptations vs. The Four Tops

Obviously I left out single artists like James Brown, Bob Dylan,
Donavan and Neil Diamond even though they surely had bands, but they
weren't noted for them, and made it for those that had 2 and above. So
here they are, even though I should sit here and even this out to 50.
This is somewhat of a scramble from last year's pittings and I am sure
a few groups were added.

CJ

RichL

May 26, 2009, 10:48:50 PM5/26/09
(my responses on rec.music.beatles)

Sac Dave

May 26, 2009, 11:47:35 PM5/26/09

"curtjester1" <curtj...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
My vote Quick Silver Messenger Service and the DOORS

Stephen Cowell

May 27, 2009, 12:18:22 AM5/27/09

"Sac Dave" <dia...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

XTC vs Adam Ant.
__
Steve
.

Claude V. Lucas

May 27, 2009, 12:29:59 AM5/27/09
In article <ha3Tl.30681$yr3....@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>,

The Kingsmen vs. Doug Clark & The Hot Nuts

GreenDistantStar

May 27, 2009, 12:38:08 AM5/27/09

The Easybeats vs The Master's Apprentices.

GDS

"Let's roll!"

El Yammer de la Bedroom

May 27, 2009, 12:54:38 AM5/27/09

curtjester1 wrote:
> Here it is, the battle of the bands for groups that did their music
> thing at least somewhere in the 60's. I am sure there are lots
> missing, and for it to be a 'battle', I tried pitting a group that
> would at least have some sort of similarity between the other. That
> might be stretching it. The idea is to either vote, give a rating, or
> make a comment about the 'battle'. Of course if you don't like the
> selections, you can add yer own, and tell how bad the selections are
> too...:). On rating, we did a 0 -10 last year, and that of course can
> include, likes, influence, talent, poetry..etc. etc. Have fun, and
> good luck. One group decided to do a 4-6, 6-4 type of rating, and I
> thought that was good.
>
> 1. The Beatles vs. The Beach Boys

I like both. BB died w/ the VN war.

?

> 3. Climax Blues Band vs. The Seeds

CBB
> 4. Chicago vs. Santana
Both. Terry Kath killer. Same time period? CHICAGO!

> 5. Pink Floyd vs. The Moody Blues

Tough comparison. Both great. I lean towards Moody Blues: Depth

> 6. Big Brother and the Holding Company vs. Country Joe and the Fish

Country Joe

> 7. Black Sabbath vs. Mothers of Invention

The Mothers

> 8. Led Zeppelin vs. The Who

The Who!

> 9. The Four Freshmen vs. The Four Seasons

vomit.

> 10. The Ventures vs. Jan & Dean

The Ventures

> 11. Buffalo Springfield vs. C,S, N, & Y

CSNY

> 12. The Zombies vs. Paul Revere & The Raiders

The Zombies- and I've never heard of them ;-)

> 13. The Shondells vs. The Rascals

Tommy James!

> 14. Cream vs. The Yardbirds

Cream

> 15. The Byrds vs. The Lovin' Spoonful

Byrds

> 16. The Searchers vs. The Vogues

Searchers

> 17. The Animals vs. The Rolling Stones

Fuckin' Please...Stones!

> 18. Herman's Hermits vs. The Turtles
Turtles
> 19. The Monkees vs. The Dave Clark Five

Dave Clark

> 20. Procul Harem vs. Deep Purple

Procul Harem (Trower)

> 21. Traffic vs. Blind Faith

Traffic...didn't BF put out only 1 album?

> 22. Strawberry Alarm Clock vs. Vanilla Fudge

Incense and Peppermints

> 23. Small Faces vs. Them

SF

> 24. Jimi Hendrix Experience vs. The Doors

Hendrix shit talked Morrison...Hendrix...but I
love The Doors. Whadda Sofie's choice!

> 25. The Bee Gees vs. The Mamas and Papas

M&P

> 26. Captain Beefheart (The Magic Band) vs. Iron Butterfly

CB

> 27. The Beau Brummels vs. The Seekers
The Seekers
> 28. Gerry and the Pacemakers vs. The Standells
Standells
> 29. Jefferson Airplane vs. Velvet Underground

VU!

> 30. The Skyliners vs. Dion and the Belmonts

Dion

> 31. The Deltones vs. Gary Lewis & The Playboys
> 32. The Hollies vs. The Kinks
Kinks
> 33. The Band vs. The Grateful Dead

The Band

> 34. The Isley Brothers vs. The Miracles

Isley!

> 35. The Impressions vs. The Drifters
> 36. The Crickets vs. The Comets
> 37. The Everly Brothers vs. Sonny & Cher
> 38. Peter & Gordon vs. Chad & Jeremy
> 39. Quicksilver Messenger Service vs. Moby Grape
> 40. The Allman Brothers vs. Credence Clearwater Revival

ABB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> 41. The Electic Prunes vs. The Amboy Dukes
> 42. The Chambers Brothers vs. Sly & The Family Stone

Sly

> 43. The Righteous Brothers vs. Simon & Garfunkel

S&G

> 44. The Spencer Davis Group vs. Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels
> 45. The Shirelles vs. The Supremes
Supremes
> 46. The Grassroots vs. The Association
> 47. The Coasters vs. The Pharoahs
> 48. The Kingston Trio vs. Peter, Paul, and Mary
> 49. The Temptations vs. The Four Tops

Temptations

Squier

May 27, 2009, 2:06:29 AM5/27/09
Where is Steppenwolf ?
I wasn't even a thought back in the 60's but I really
like Steppenwolf's music. Great stuff. So you can't have
60's band list without Steppenwolf. right ?

Arlowe

May 27, 2009, 4:08:29 AM5/27/09
Stephen Cowell expressed precisely :

> Steve
> .

They Might be Giants
but...
Have you met James Ensor?
He's Belgium's famous painter.

Dr. Zontar

May 27, 2009, 8:34:44 AM5/27/09
On May 26, 10:02 pm, curtjester1 <curtjest...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Here it is, the battle of the bands for groups that did their music
> thing at least somewhere in the 60's.

(SNIP)

Wow... someone has a LOT of time on his hands.

I appreciate all the thought that went into this, and the fact that it
will get people thinking about some great bands that they may have
forgotten. I really do. But I hate the whole "battle of the bands"
concept. Music and art are not competitions. Different music touches
people in different ways. It's all too subjective for any kind of
meaningful comparison.

But, hey, if this gets people curious and leads them to listen to
bands they've never heard before, that's cool.

- Rich

Stephen Cowell

May 27, 2009, 9:01:43 AM5/27/09

"Arlowe" <bare....@gmail.com> wrote
> Stephen Cowell expressed precisely :
>>
>> XTC vs Adam Ant.

> They Might be Giants
> but...
> Have you met James Ensor?
> He's Belgium's famous painter.

fingertips...
__
Steve
.

curtjester1

May 27, 2009, 10:41:37 AM5/27/09
On May 27, 2:06 am, Squier <squ...@strats.net> wrote:
> Where is Steppenwolf ?
> I wasn't even a thought back in the 60's but I really
> like Steppenwolf's music.  Great stuff.  So you can't have
> 60's band list without Steppenwolf.    right ?

Absolutely correct! In fact I thought of it when I laid down last
night! I have no idea who I could have paired them up against. One
of my fav's for sure.

CJ

> > CJ- Hide quoted text -

curtjester1

May 27, 2009, 10:43:12 AM5/27/09

I tend to agree, but there is enough output to want me to listen to
the bands they made comments about. And being subjective is about
having a good trolling experience sometimes...:).

CJ

White Spirit

May 27, 2009, 10:45:44 AM5/27/09
curtjester1 wrote:

> Here it is, the battle of the bands for groups that did their music
> thing at least somewhere in the 60's. I am sure there are lots
> missing, and for it to be a 'battle', I tried pitting a group that
> would at least have some sort of similarity between the other. That
> might be stretching it. The idea is to either vote, give a rating, or
> make a comment about the 'battle'. Of course if you don't like the
> selections, you can add yer own, and tell how bad the selections are
> too...:). On rating, we did a 0 -10 last year, and that of course can
> include, likes, influence, talent, poetry..etc. etc. Have fun, and
> good luck. One group decided to do a 4-6, 6-4 type of rating, and I
> thought that was good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEZhUeMaixk

curtjester1

May 27, 2009, 10:54:16 AM5/27/09
On May 27, 12:54 am, El Yammer de la Bedroom <Bo...@Tigerland.net>
wrote:

I would only allow the Stones a tie because they ended up with good
management and made tons of songs. Valentine was a great guitarist
for original animals who had more more talent than the early
stones...and when they picked up Griggs after the breakup....Hendrix
said of him as one of the top three he was going to seek out when
going across the pond. lol...for this I will deluge him with my
online Animals collection!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP1w5Hl8D0E&feature=related We Gotta
Get Out Of This Place 1965
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC-iqjUWRPo&feature=related Don't
Bring
Me Down 1966
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryeqvr_qCfY&feature=related When I Was
Young 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT-OGwFDB0I&feature=related Tobacco
Road 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7MGRtcZCnw&feature=related A Love
Like
Yours 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DqWIhSZYWQ&feature=related Poem By
The
Sea 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvs8U0oxnlI&feature=related Monterey
1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfdjwuXRsFI White Houses 1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u7q81Krih0&feature=related San
Franciscan Nights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW0TbT5DlwI&feature=related To Love
Somebody (Bee Gees Cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xigqzvV1Zo&feature=related Sky Pilot
1968 + 30 yrs later (no bagpipes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWu9d12L-1A&feature=related Winds Of
Change 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtN-bhTINjg The Year Of The Guru 1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBVHw0u5FhI The Immigrant Lad 1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NawHkg87fa8&feature=related Roadrunner
1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOOJ5ZIWrvs&feature=related Talkin'
'Bout You 1964
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPd5xltuAbQ&feature=related Boom, Boom
1965 Live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2c8xyBo6es&feature=related Bring It
On
Home To Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNzmrEgz_GI&feature=related It's My
Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJAy5EP02Q&feature=related I'm Going
To Change The World (b side of It's My LIfe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7jzi9JAkw&feature=related The House
Of The Rising Sun 1964
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FT4FprxDg&feature=related Don't Let
Me Be Misunderstood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc25CtIayH0&feature=related Good Times
(Clips) 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYgnmF9XKC0&feature=related Hey Gyp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVpEuxLd70g&feature=related Blue
Feeling 1964
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFC4gaKpng&feature=related Rock Me
Baby 1966
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFC4gaKpng&feature=related See See
Rider 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQknxjce3_Q&feature=related Hold On,
I'm Coming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRBLV-ujPbA&feature=related You Pretty
Thing 1963
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzeoF_LTi8s&feature=related Goin' Down
Slow 1966
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My5Rnwrle7g&feature=related Around And
Around 1964
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmjD8Vah4l8&feature=related Snubbed
1965 (Kids Musical)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gr84dWNo8I&feature=related We're
Going
To Howl Tonight (2nd part of musical)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rySq7xC_Jzs&feature=related Outcast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwodvV7lmsU&feature=related What Am I
Living For
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQwLZNPETOs&feature=related Maudie
1966
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnD74tqwIZE&feature=related For Miss
Caulker (1st Album)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD-dyqDaVEE&feature=related I Believe
To My Soul (Ray Charles cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zrpfOyLbEM&feature=related Please
Send
Me Someone To Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e419_tWNqak&feature=related Big Boss
Man 1966
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPoeSLe8CU&feature=related Let It
Rock
1963
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ha4xvrVHu8&feature=related Dimples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcyMs5fb4Go&feature=related The Other
Side Of Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lddcmEhrh88&feature=related Cheating
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH47sJIFK0U&feature=related Mama Told
Me (not to come..Randy Newman for Eric
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXiEXbGWg5I&feature=related It's Not
Easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCWJyhh1OkM&feature=related The
Biggest
Bundle Of Them All (Movie)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRIbkre0PNU&feature=related One Monkey
Don't Stop A Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5hKq5Fs-s That Ain't Where It's At
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkp5bsYgXU&feature=related As The
Years Go Passing By
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBUICBz2-L4&feature=related I Put A
Spell On You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eZYmF-RWYQ&feature=related Orange And
Red Beams 1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaxTzdpz8EA&feature=related Worried
Life Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3xiAK6Ei6I&feature=related Bo Diddley
1963
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWZ1OqLsp0g&feature=related Gotta Find
My Baby 1963
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miLN6RJhStw&feature=related Paint It
Black (1968 Stockholm)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N609Ip_ZFKQ&feature=related Work Song
1966
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTp8_yDMDqY&feature=related Shake,
Rattle, And Roll (Australia 1967)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VYDse01Mg&feature=related Almost
Grown 1963
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3kjZzxWf7I Coloured Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTzjvxIYp-s&feature=related New York
1963 - America 1968 (1968)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwdNEBwXc7A&feature=related True Love
(Comes Only Once In A Lifetime) 1966 or 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwc-uR2NA1g&feature=related My Babe
1963 Animals backing Sonny Boy Williamson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrKTwSIk6qk Closer To The Truth 1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oue4Mt41sdg&feature=related Jailhouse
Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YKdm1GEF5Y&feature=related Gratefully
Dead 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s261F3gjkF4&feature=related Heartbreak
Hotel BBC 1965 + Price Departure Interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COc3SjJdUWE&feature=related Animal
Dope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI60inw_VF0&feature=related Richmond
Jazz Fest. 1965 Rosie (Inside Looking Out + We Gotta Get Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvnb7L-DUvM&feature=related Baby Let
Me
Take You Home - Video (Rehearsal Room)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tynp38o_SSA&feature=related All Is One
1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5XNzF6FTMU&feature=related Hotel Hell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fONRl6-G7M&feature=related That's All
I Am To You 1966
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAcMzuu70A8&feature=related The Black
Plague 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH0lxuoqEoM&feature=related We Love
You
Lil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTvqHizVJnU&feature=related No Self
Pity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDsj-0hme3w&feature=related Ain't That
A Shame 1965
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJWXagUuLY&feature=related Mr.
Muggins
(Price), It's Been A Long Time Comin' - 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPoeSLe8CU&feature=related Let It
Rock, 1963 Sonny Boy Williamson back. (upbeat rocker)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yGGjYTcxVM&feature=related Louisiana
Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U5EKp7HajI&feature=related The
(Original) Animals Tribute - Pics and Songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ovgViQGj44&NR=1 Animals Pt. 1
(history)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmWPuOAOdGM&feature=related Animals
Pt.
2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xey4SyoDYXA&NR=1 Animals Pt. 3
(history)

> > CJ- Hide quoted text -

curtjester1

May 27, 2009, 10:57:39 AM5/27/09
On May 27, 12:38 am, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Let's roll!"- Hide quoted text -

Had to do a Wikipedia on your latter group there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Masters_Apprentices

Now this list I gave can be reshuffled and added onto. I think you
should be captain of the add-onto!!..:)

CJ

heeh...@hotmail.com

May 27, 2009, 3:31:34 PM5/27/09
On May 26, 10:47 pm, "Sac Dave" <diac...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> "curtjester1" <curtjest...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>  My vote Quick Silver Messenger Service and the DOORS- Hide quoted text -

Have you ever heard Moby Grape's 1st album?

Arlowe

May 27, 2009, 3:39:14 PM5/27/09

I know they did "some"
wierd stuff, but fingertips is
annoying to listen to.
It's like watching TV and someone keeps changing the channel.

mercutio

May 27, 2009, 4:29:31 PM5/27/09
On Tue, 26 May 2009 19:02:27 -0700 (PDT), curtjester1
<curtj...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Here it is, the battle of the bands for groups that did their music
>thing at least somewhere in the 60's. I am sure there are lots
>missing, and for it to be a 'battle', I tried pitting a group that
>would at least have some sort of similarity between the other. That
>might be stretching it. The idea is to either vote, give a rating, or
>make a comment about the 'battle'. Of course if you don't like the
>selections, you can add yer own, and tell how bad the selections are
>too...:). On rating, we did a 0 -10 last year, and that of course can
>include, likes, influence, talent, poetry..etc. etc. Have fun, and
>good luck. One group decided to do a 4-6, 6-4 type of rating, and I
>thought that was good.
>
>1. The Beatles vs. The Beach Boys

Beatles

>2. The Blues Magoos vs. 13th Floor Elevators

Count 5 is better than both

>3. Climax Blues Band vs. The Seeds

CBB
>4. Chicago vs. Santana

Chicago

>5. Pink Floyd vs. The Moody Blues

King Crimson is better than both

>6. Big Brother and the Holding Company vs. Country Joe and the Fish

Don't much like either

>7. Black Sabbath vs. Mothers of Invention

See above

>8. Led Zeppelin vs. The Who

Tie may be a slight edge to the who

>9. The Four Freshmen vs. The Four Seasons

4 Seasons

>10. The Ventures vs. Jan & Dean

Ventures

>11. Buffalo Springfield vs. C,S, N, & Y

CSNY

>12. The Zombies vs. Paul Revere & The Raiders

Zombies

>13. The Shondells vs. The Rascals

Rascals (especially the Young Rascals)

>14. Cream vs. The Yardbirds
Yardbirds
>15. The Byrds vs. The Lovin' Spoonful

Byrds

>16. The Searchers vs. The Vogues

Searchers

>17. The Animals vs. The Rolling Stones

Animals for the 1st half of the career Stones the 2nd

>18. Herman's Hermits vs. The Turtles
Turtles
>19. The Monkees vs. The Dave Clark Five

DC Five

>20. Procul Harem vs. Deep Purple

PH the 1st half DP the 2nd

>21. Traffic vs. Blind Faith
Blind Faith
>22. Strawberry Alarm Clock vs. Vanilla Fudge
Vanilla Fudge
>23. Small Faces vs. Them

Faces

>24. Jimi Hendrix Experience vs. The Doors

Jimi

>25. The Bee Gees vs. The Mamas and Papas

BG's (pre SNF)

>26. Captain Beefheart (The Magic Band) vs. Iron Butterfly

Captain

>27. The Beau Brummels vs. The Seekers

Beau Brummels

>28. Gerry and the Pacemakers vs. The Standells
Standells
>29. Jefferson Airplane vs. Velvet Underground

Neither

>30. The Skyliners vs. Dion and the Belmonts

Dion

>31. The Deltones vs. Gary Lewis & The Playboys

Gary lewis

>32. The Hollies vs. The Kinks

Hollies

>33. The Band vs. The Grateful Dead

The Band

>34. The Isley Brothers vs. The Miracles

Isley Bros

>35. The Impressions vs. The Drifters
Drifters
>36. The Crickets vs. The Comets

Crickets

>37. The Everly Brothers vs. Sonny & Cher

S&C

>38. Peter & Gordon vs. Chad & Jeremy

C&J

>39. Quicksilver Messenger Service vs. Moby Grape
Moby Grape
>40. The Allman Brothers vs. Credence Clearwater Revival

Creedence

>41. The Electic Prunes vs. The Amboy Dukes
>42. The Chambers Brothers vs. Sly & The Family Stone

Chambers Bros

>43. The Righteous Brothers vs. Simon & Garfunkel

S&G

>44. The Spencer Davis Group vs. Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

Spencer Davis

>45. The Shirelles vs. The Supremes

Shirrelles

>46. The Grassroots vs. The Association

Grass roots

>47. The Coasters vs. The Pharoahs

Coasters

>48. The Kingston Trio vs. Peter, Paul, and Mary

KT

>49. The Temptations vs. The Four Tops

4 Tops

curtjester1

May 27, 2009, 5:47:37 PM5/27/09
On May 27, 4:29 pm, mercutio <jim013...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 May 2009 19:02:27 -0700 (PDT), curtjester1
>

> <curtjest...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Here it is, the battle of the bands for groups that did their music
> >thing at least somewhere in the 60's.  I am sure there are lots
> >missing, and for it to be a 'battle', I tried pitting a group that
> >would at least have some sort of similarity between the other.  That
> >might be stretching it.  The idea is to either vote, give a rating, or
> >make a comment about the 'battle'.   Of course if you don't like the
> >selections, you can add yer own, and tell how bad the selections are
> >too...:).  On rating, we did a 0 -10 last year, and that of course can
> >include, likes, influence, talent, poetry..etc. etc.  Have fun, and
> >good luck.  One group decided to do a 4-6, 6-4 type of rating, and I
> >thought that was good.
>
> >1. The Beatles vs. The Beach Boys
> Beatles
> >2. The Blues Magoos vs. 13th Floor Elevators
>
> Count 5 is better than both

There was a 3 song set by them on youtube I liked. Lots of garage
bands I like in that era.

>3. Climax Blues Band vs. The Seeds
> CBB
> >4. Chicago vs. Santana
> Chicago
> >5. Pink Floyd vs. The Moody Blues
>
> King Crimson is better than both

That gets my attention. I'll have to give them a listen.

>6. Big Brother and the Holding Company vs. Country Joe and the Fish
>
> Don't much like eithe

Try a Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine on youtube at the Monterey Pop, and
I think Janis brought Mama Cass to tears for her song there as well.

r>7. Black Sabbath vs. Mothers of Invention

> See above
> >8. Led Zeppelin vs. The Who
>
> Tie may be a slight edge to the who>9. The Four Freshmen vs. The Four Seasons
> 4 Seasons
> >10. The Ventures vs. Jan & Dean
> Ventures
> >11. Buffalo Springfield vs. C,S, N, & Y
> CSNY
> >12. The Zombies vs. Paul Revere & The Raiders
> Zombies
> >13. The Shondells vs. The Rascals
>
> Rascals (especially the Young Rascals)

TJ & S..more charted hits. Gimme Some Lovin' wasn't there original
song, and I like Sweet Cherry Wine over a Peace Train
anyday...Groovin' was great though. I have both their best hits..and
like them both.

>14. Cream vs. The Yardbirds
> Yardbirds
> >15. The Byrds vs. The Lovin' Spoonful
> Byrds
> >16. The Searchers vs. The Vogues
> Searchers
> >17. The Animals vs. The Rolling Stones
>
> Animals for the 1st half of the career Stones the 2nd

Fair, but I like to include the other Animal groups after the first
folded up in 1966. I even think they were better after the breakup in
many respects, but then the Stones did there best work from mid 60's
to mid 70's.

>18. Herman's Hermits vs. The Turtles

> Turtles
> >19. The Monkees vs. The Dave Clark Five
> DC Five
> >20. Procul Harem vs. Deep Purple
>
> PH the 1st half DP the 2nd
>

> >21. Traffic vs. Blind Faith
> Blind Faith
> >22. Strawberry Alarm Clock vs. Vanilla Fudge
> Vanilla Fudge
> >23. Small Faces vs. Them
> Faces
> >24. Jimi Hendrix Experience vs. The Doors
> Jimi
> >25. The Bee Gees vs. The Mamas and Papas
> BG's (pre SNF)
> >26. Captain Beefheart (The Magic Band) vs. Iron Butterfly
> Captain
> >27. The Beau Brummels vs. The Seekers
> Beau Brummels
> >28. Gerry and the Pacemakers vs. The Standells
> Standells
> >29. Jefferson Airplane vs. Velvet Underground
> Neither

Ouch.

CJ

> >CJ- Hide quoted text -

mercutio

May 27, 2009, 7:39:05 PM5/27/09
On Wed, 27 May 2009 14:47:37 -0700 (PDT), curtjester1
<curtj...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On May 27, 4:29ÔøΩpm, mercutio <jim013...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 May 2009 19:02:27 -0700 (PDT), curtjester1
>>

>>3. Climax Blues Band vs. The Seeds
>> CBB
>> >4. Chicago vs. Santana
>> Chicago
>> >5. Pink Floyd vs. The Moody Blues
>>
>> King Crimson is better than both

There are 4 versions of the band with Bob Fripp being the only
constant. Music to bring you to tears or leave you speechless. Saw
three times live ( three different versions of the band) and they were
the best band I have ever seen. Powerful and talented

>That gets my attention. I'll have to give them a listen.
>

>>6. Big Brother and the Holding Company vs. Country Joe and the Fish
>>
>> Don't much like eithe
>
>Try a Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine on youtube at the Monterey Pop, and
>I think Janis brought Mama Cass to tears for her song there as well.

I was 15 or 16 when they were popular and tried to like them but
founf both boring

>r>7. Black Sabbath vs. Mothers of Invention
>> See above
>> >8. Led Zeppelin vs. The Who
>>
>> Tie may be a slight edge to the who>9. The Four Freshmen vs. The Four Seasons
>> 4 Seasons
>> >10. The Ventures vs. Jan & Dean
>> Ventures
>> >11. Buffalo Springfield vs. C,S, N, & Y
>> CSNY
>> >12. The Zombies vs. Paul Revere & The Raiders
>> Zombies
>> >13. The Shondells vs. The Rascals
>>
>> Rascals (especially the Young Rascals)
>
>TJ & S..more charted hits. Gimme Some Lovin' wasn't there original
>song, and I like Sweet Cherry Wine over a Peace Train
>anyday...Groovin' was great though. I have both their best hits..and
>like them both.

I liked the Young Rascals more than the rascals- Ain't Gonna Eay Out
My Heart Anymore , Lonely Too Long, Good Lovin... Almost any song off
any of the 3 albums but they rocked and were funky Neither of which
T.J & S was

Really I like We Can Be Together and Sweet Jane but don't really care
for anything else

curtjester1

May 27, 2009, 9:09:17 PM5/27/09
On May 27, 7:39 pm, mercutio <jim013...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009 14:47:37 -0700 (PDT), curtjester1
>

> <curtjest...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >On May 27, 4:29Êpm, mercutio <jim013...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> On Tue, 26 May 2009 19:02:27 -0700 (PDT), curtjester1
>
> >>3. Climax Blues Band vs. The Seeds
> >> CBB
> >> Chicago
>
> >> King Crimson is better than both
>
> There are 4 versions of the band with Bob Fripp being the only
> constant. Music to bring you to tears or leave you speechless. Saw
> three times live ( three different versions of the band) and they were
> the best band I have ever seen. Powerful and talented

I listened a little, and they definitely can play some instruments.
I'll have to try some more...I like them entertaining as well, and
waiting for that to kick in.

> >That gets my attention.  I'll have to give them a listen.
>
> >>6. Big Brother and the Holding Company vs. Country Joe and the Fish
>
> >> Don't much like eithe
>
> >Try a Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine on youtube at the Monterey Pop, and
> >I think Janis brought Mama Cass to tears for her song there as well.
>
> I was 15 or 16  when they were popular and tried to like them but
> founf both boring

Country Joe got lots of FM play with Electric Music For The Mind and
Body and toured with the greats. Cheap Thrills was a fav Big Brother
album of mine.

> >r>7. Black Sabbath vs. Mothers of Invention
> >> See above
>
> >> Tie may be a slight edge to the who>9. The Four Freshmen vs. The Four Seasons
> >> 4 Seasons
> >> Ventures
> >> CSNY
> >> Zombies
>
> >> Rascals (especially the Young Rascals)
>
> >TJ & S..more charted hits.  Gimme Some Lovin' wasn't there original
> >song, and I like Sweet Cherry Wine over a Peace Train
> >anyday...Groovin' was great though.  I have both their best hits..and
> >like them both.
>
> I liked the Young Rascals more than the rascals- Ain't Gonna Eay Out
> My Heart Anymore , Lonely Too Long, Good Lovin... Almost any song off
> any of the 3 albums but they rocked and were funky Neither of which
> T.J & S was

True to a sense, but Tommy rocked and funked at times too. Both
played the same Hollywood Bowl concert in 68. Might give that a
listen. Here is TJ & S with one of their first hits. Not too much
play, but funky to me. (Love it on high in the car..:).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SXtDHENw70

They also did Pink Floyd type stuff with Cellophane Symphony...and did
a more funkier style after the end of the decade breakup when Tommy
overdid his amphetamines. Anyway, I liked the Rascals and YR almost
as much, and funky was there forte.

Well I am not a huge fan of them...but The Airplane had to be in my
top ten groups for the decade.

CJ

Stephen Cowell

May 27, 2009, 10:18:01 PM5/27/09

"Arlowe" <bare....@gmail.com> wrote in message

I love it... I can play the whole thing in my head,
in order.... "I found a new friend, underneath my pillow...
C'mon! And drive my car..."

Have you watched the documentary? Super
plus double good.
__
Steve
.

RichL

May 27, 2009, 11:28:58 PM5/27/09
curtjester1 <curtj...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Country Joe got lots of FM play with Electric Music For The Mind and
> Body and toured with the greats. Cheap Thrills was a fav Big Brother
> album of mine.

Let's not forget "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin-To-Die" with the Fish Cheer and
it's unforgettable (maybe just to me) "Pat's Song". Also "Together",
with "Rock and Soul Music".

I got 'em all.

Arlowe

May 28, 2009, 5:38:28 AM5/28/09
Stephen Cowell pretended :

Do you have Severe Tire Damage?
There are a bunch of hidden tracks with a Planet of the apes theme.
Really screwy shit.
If you liked fingertips, you're gonna luv this stuff.
Sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcBJJUmieTw

Stephen Cowell

May 28, 2009, 10:11:56 AM5/28/09

> Stephen Cowell pretended :

>> Have you watched the documentary? Super
>> plus double good.

> Do you have Severe Tire Damage?
> There are a bunch of hidden tracks with a Planet of the apes theme.
> Really screwy shit.
> If you liked fingertips, you're gonna luv this stuff.

Not a big fan of the POTA stuff... but I go
through periods like that; I'll not like some
of their stuff, then it grows on me. Currently
The Else is my fave, or John Henry. I've
got most of their stuff, but still lack probably
five albums. Have yet to see them live... been
listening to them since about '88.
__
Steve
.

curtjester1

May 28, 2009, 1:31:58 PM5/28/09
On May 28, 5:38 am, Arlowe <bare.ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stephen Cowell pretended :
>

> > "Arlowe" <bare.ar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Sample:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcBJJUmieTw- Hide quoted text -

And the last '60's' battle is the long lost #50

The Neanderthals vs. The Mummies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmSToIqtjQM&NR=1 The Mummies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgHM98rfE28 The Neanderthals

I believe The Mummies have their own version of a Planet of the
Apes..:).

CJ