"Worst or most overrated guitarist

Message has been deleted

sloppy

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
T.H.E. Machine wrote:

> Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?
>
> --
> T.H.E. MachineJerry Garcia. <Game Over!>

TIMOTHY GUEGUEN

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
T.H.E. Machine (10202...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?

: --
: T.H.E. Machine
What a question to ask! Any answer is gonna p.o. someone. Why do
people continue to start threads like this?

tim gueguen ad...@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca

I've got big nad sacs

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
sloppy wrote:

> T.H.E. Machine wrote:
> >
> > Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?
> >
> > --
> > T.H.E. MachineJerry Garcia. <Game Over!>

the worst guitar player is yngvie "how do you fuckin spell my name"
malmsteen. I saw one of his signature Strat's in a pawnshop and his pussy little
sculptured frets make me puke. What an overrated piece of shit. Keep in mind,
ive never heard his stuff, at all, but hes that guy in every guitar magazine
talking about how "the new metal guys" suck and all his shit kicks ass. What a
total posuer!!!! Get a band, fuckface! You suck!!!

Robert Jazz

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
Of course, you are, so why don't you just go worry about somethig
important now...
Love,
- Robert Jazz

In article <4lbmah$fvr$5...@mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, T.H.E. Machine

Joseph Grossman

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
In article <4lbmah$fvr$5...@mhadg.production.compuserve.com> T.H.E. Machine <10202...@CompuServe.COM> writes:
>Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?

My opinion:

Most overrated: *Steve Vai*. A great guitar player, far better than
most, and ten times the player I'll ever be. Some of his stuff
is brilliant; really emotional, touching stuff. But then again,
a lot of his stuff is just technical, effect-laden spoo, and in
his case, I think his reputation as a guitar-diety far outstrips
his actual musical contributions. Would I go to him for guitar
lessons? *in two seconds*. Will anyone remember him in twenty
years? I doubt it.

Worst: For overall lack of guitar playing chops, haphazard rhythm, and
general technical incompetence, my hands down "winner" for
"worst professional guitarist" is *Courtney Love* of Hole.

The one time I saw her she was off-timing and hitting wrong chords
(and this is bad for a professional musician playing essentially
four-chord songs). Quite frankly, she sucked.

And I'm not knocking her or her band; they deliver music that a lot
of people enjoy, and there is a lot more to a rock and roll show than
the quality of the rhythm guitar. Maybe she was having a bad night,
(god knows she's been under some stress). I'm just saying that her
standing and reputation as an artist are way disporportionate to
her skill at playing the guitar.

And while I'm at it, I should add that I also saw Kurt Cobain
play a few months before his demise, and I was utterly, utterly
shocked at how *good* a guitar player he was. Admittedly, he played
very simple music, but he played it quite well, holding down a very
tight and efficient rhythm style, a little out of character for his
reputation as a guitar "loser". His playing wasn't particularly
memorable in and of itself, but he definitely didn't "suck".

Now go ahead and flame me, those are my opinions, and I am not going
to condescend into trying to validate them to juvenile, rabid, idiot
usenet fans.

-jg

Mark Zedaker

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
Most overrated guitarist? Eddie Van Halen (/me ducks about 50
simultaneous flamethrowers). Sure, he did Eruption, fine. He can tap
and occasionally speed-pick, and... err... well, that's about it,
really.

As for worst guitarist.... well, I'll have to second the nod for
Courtney Love. "Hole Unplugged" remains the worst thing I've ever
seen, music wise... gah, that was downright HORRIBLE.

And I STILL like Vai :p

o--------------------------------o-----------------------------------o
|Mark Zedaker |IRC: Tux_Mlvn |
|ak...@powergrid.electriciti.com |http://www.electriciti.com/~akuma/ |
o--------------------------------o-----------------------------------o
| Message... sending...ACTIVATION |
o--------------------------------------------------------------------o
| Resident scrub of alt.games.sf2! |
o--------------------------------------------------------------------o

Roy Smith

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
Steve Howe

... one word .. SLOPMEISTER

The exception to this being his nylon string work, which is inexplicably
quite good.

mose

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96

you have got to be kidding!

Carl Fiadino

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
sloppy <fre...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>T.H.E. Machine wrote:
>>
>> Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?
>>
>> --
>> T.H.E. MachineJerry Garcia. <Game Over!>

Since you asked, Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam.

Jason Groce

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96

I second that! You've got to be kidding. I consider him by far the most
under-rated player. Count me in for Steve Vai as most over-rated. For
the worst, I'd probably have to say me.

J.

Clark Cummins

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
On 20 Apr 1996 21:52:17 GMT, T.H.E. Machine
<10202...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?
>
>--
>T.H.E. Machine

Only someone who is afflicted with a permanent bad attitude and has
WAY too much time on their hands would be pondering such a mindless
issue.

* Clark H. Cummins *
* chcu...@dow.com *
* *
* The chance that the preceeding represents the *
* opinion of my employer is vanishingly small *

Roy Smith

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
> > you have got to be kidding!
>
> I second that! You've got to be kidding. I consider him by far the most
> under-rated player. Count me in for Steve Vai as most over-rated. For
> the worst, I'd probably have to say me.
>
> J.

Listen closely to your copy of "Fragile". Try to count the obvious
timing mistakes in Long Distance Runaround. Remember Toby's Graphic
Ocean? (A Slopmeister orgy). Tormato? Call the pigs, it's slop time!

Best of all, check out the Yes "Union" video as Howe is played under the
table by Trevor Rabin. He's the Ronald Reagan of guitar!

<girding loins for vicious flamefest from prog-rock faithful>
Roy

Ps. Lest you think me intolerant of slop, I should point out that
another veteran slopmeister, Jimmy Page, is one of my favorites. He,
however is not deified as a god of technique like Steve has been.

Kevin Gamble

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
> <girding loins for vicious flamefest from prog-rock faithful>
> Roy

I think the main issue here is what people define as good. We've been
bombarded for years now with people who've spent all their time in
pursuit of perfect technique as a state of "artistry", when I believe it
is not. To contribute something meaningful and lasting musically does
not mean you need to play it perfectly. It's been a long time since
guitarists like Howe filled the world with great _music_; what do people
like Rabin contribute? Sure, Howe is sloppy at times, but the things he
plays are full of such joy and creativity that a million GIT-trained
idiots could never obtain. He _is_ his music; it's not some slicked-up
product.
The music world today is full of studio-sanitized, mega-overdubbed
nonsense, where there's no room for anything between expensive gloss and
grunge-alternative carelessness. Technique is thriving, but...

...where are the _artists_?

Kevin

EJestRecs

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
<yawn>...

Big Boss

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
to Carl Fiadino
d j. mascis

Big Boss

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
to mose
sometimes i think that i am by far the most over rated guitarist of ALL
times! everywhere i go, women are screaming and tearing off their shirts
all for me. this gets old really quick. i mean, i only know 3 chords!
but i can do them VERY fast! people have lauded me as being a virtuoso,
and all. oh well... once in a stadium of about 446,000 people, i tried
to play my guitar with my stomach, and let me tell you-it sounded like
shit! but the people were mesmerized at my 'virtuosity'. i really
thought that would downplay my guitar god status, it only strengthened it.
WHAT CAN I DO!

Tim Tokazewski

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
In message <317D1E...@thinktech.com> - Roy Smith <Ro...@thinktech.com> write
s:
:>Listen closely to your copy of "Fragile". Try to count the obvious
:>timing mistakes in Long Distance Runaround. Remember Toby's Graphic
:>Ocean? (A Slopmeister orgy). Tormato? Call the pigs, it's slop time!
:>
:>Best of all, check out the Yes "Union" video as Howe is played under the
:>table by Trevor Rabin. He's the Ronald Reagan of guitar!
:>
:><girding loins for vicious flamefest from prog-rock faithful>
:>Roy
:>
:>Ps. Lest you think me intolerant of slop, I should point out that
:>another veteran slopmeister, Jimmy Page, is one of my favorites. He,
:>however is not deified as a god of technique like Steve has been.

Obviously you have never heard any of his solo works. Plus,
what about the fact that even if some of the work IS sloppy,
he wrote ALOT of Yes stuff, which alot of people love.

In conclusion, I don't see you with a record contract to even
get a chance to be "sloppy".

Birdhouse

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
It's GOTTA be That Fool from Silverchair...The only and sucky, Daniel Johns. I
play better than him and i suck.
Truly...Birdhouse

Smitty525

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
I would have to say.....the guitarist (or whatever) from The Presidents Of
USA

Mike
Smit...@aol.com

Jdibenedet

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
jIMMY pAGE
JIMMY PAGE
JIMMMY PAGE
JIMMMY pAGE
EVEN DRUMMERS KNOW IT

Paul Harahuc

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
sloppy <fre...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>T.H.E. Machine wrote:
>>
>> Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?
>>
>> --

>> T.H.E. MachineJerry Garcia. <Game Over!>

anyone that plays in one of these "Grung" bands

T. Wesley

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
Q: How many guitarists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: Seven. One to do it & six others to stand back, cross their arms &
say they could have done it better.

One important thing to remember, folks. All the guitarists mentioned in
this thread have one thing over most of us: a recording contract.
Obviously, they can't suck too much. Not to say that no bad band ever
got a contract they didn't really deserve, but think about it.

If a band gets signed, they generally have been playing for a while,
either with other projects or as a band themselves. So they get signed,
their label puts them on tour for 8 or 10 months, and then their album
comes out.

I don't care who you are, but if you're playing a two-hour show (or
whatever) five or six nights a week while on tour, you're going to be at
least a decent guitarist.

Wes

PS: Before you flame, bite me.
*********If you have to ask.....you'll never know*********
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\T. Wesley///////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\twe...@mnsinc.com//////////////////////
*********Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!********

Rausse still handsome toots

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96

I think Clark Cummins is the worst and most
overrated guitarist.

David Swanger

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
Tim Tokazewski (tok...@ibm.net) wrote:
: In message <317D1E...@thinktech.com> - Roy Smith <Ro...@thinktech.com> write

: s:
: :>Listen closely to your copy of "Fragile". Try to count the obvious
: :>timing mistakes in Long Distance Runaround. Remember Toby's Graphic

: Obviously you have never heard any of his solo works. Plus,

: what about the fact that even if some of the work IS sloppy,
: he wrote ALOT of Yes stuff, which alot of people love.

: In conclusion, I don't see you with a record contract to even
: get a chance to be "sloppy".

A few years ago, a wise person on the net (hint, nickname Jaz) chided me
for trashing a famous artist. He basically said there was little to gain
by putting down someone you don't like. It comes across as sour grapes and
makes you look bad. I think he had a point.

There are many artists whose success mystifies me, and there are other
artists whose *lack* of success mystifies me. Then again, why should I
care if someone likes an artist I hate? Is the world a worse place
because some crummy band is popular? Well, maybe...

Anyway, although I still get the urge now and then to stand up and scream,
"BAND XYZ SUCKS, ARE ALL 300 MILLION OF YOU DEAF OR SOMETHING?", I resist.
What would I gain? Just the wrath of XYZ fans (I hope there really isn't
a band named XYZ). I seriously doubt if I would change anyone's mind
(except about me, possibly).

Now when I discuss an act that I'm not crazy about, I usually try to find
something about them I like and avoid the part of their work I don't like.
I'll give an extreme example. Recently, some friends of mine were talking
about Buck Owens of all people. Yes, Hee-Haw hosting, red-white-and-blue
guitar playing, picking and grinning Buck Owens. Some liked him, some
didn't, I finally said, "well, he did write 'Together Again', one of the
prettiest songs Emmylou Harris ever recorded." It wasn't that hard to say
something positive (fwiw, I read an interview with Buck Owens a few years
ago and although I'm not a big fan of his, I was surprised to discover
that he was pretty smart, that a lot of his public persona is just an
act).

So if you don't like an artist, it's one thing to say you don't care for
them, it's another to attack them and put them down. Oh well, I've
rambled enough.

--
David Swanger
Division of University Computing

Joseph Grossman

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96

Hey. . . the exact same thing happened to me last year, , , (Only my guitar
wasn't actually plugged in).

Then I had to quite guitar playing forever, but it didn't help.

;-)

-jg

Rich Wright

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
to T.H.E. Machine
T.H.E. Machine wrote:

> Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?
>
> --
> T.H.E. Machine

i'm dating myself here, but what the heck:

james gurley...big brother & the holding company.

...just plain sorry!

Theslammer

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
guitar playing, picking and grinning Buck Owens. Some liked him, some
didn't, I finally said, "well, he did write 'Together Again', one of the
prettiest songs Emmylou Harris ever recorded." It wasn't that hard to say
something positive (fwiw, I read an interview with Buck Owens a few years
ago and although I'm not a big fan of his, I was surprised to discover
that he was pretty smart, that a lot of his public persona is just an
act).

So if you don't like an artist, it's one thing to say you don't care for
them, it's another to attack them and put them down. Oh well, I've
rambled enough.<<<<<<

Don't forget Roy Clark......what a player!!!!

The Amazing Slammer

I've Been Waiting for the Sun to Come Up......I've been waiting for the
showers to stop

Theslammer

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96

A: Seven. One to do it & six others to stand back, cross their arms &
say they could have done it better.<<<<

So true Wes.....SO TRUE!!!!!!!

Theslammer

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
Steve is the finest guitarist in Rock now, then and probably in the
future. Don't assume that because someone is playing in an odd meter they
are off time......too many rock players (almost all) can't hear anything
but 4/4......Fragile was with Bruford a master of odd meter.

Colin Cunningham

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
Niel Young without a doubt, (but I don't listen to much "grunge")

Judy Letostak

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
In <317AF8...@iastate.edu> I've got big nad sacs
<nad...@iastate.edu> writes:

>sloppy wrote:
>>
>> T.H.E. Machine wrote:
>> >
>> > Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?
>> >
>> > --
>> > T.H.E. MachineJerry Garcia. <Game Over!>
>
> the worst guitar player is yngvie "how do you fuckin spell my

Nah, Kurt (NoBrain) Cobain, had to be the worst, actually, take your
pick from the bands of today, they're all pretty bad.

Where's Dream Theater?

Big Boss

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
to Joseph Grossman
well you see, i didn't really play a guitar...it was really an air guitar.
i'm not even a virtuoso at that!

guitar-_o_the_great!

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
leto...@ix.netcom.com(Judy Letostak ) wrote:

>Where's Dream Theater?

Dream theater now that's scarry? Kurt Cobain was never considered a
great guitarist or singer. he could write great melodies and that's
all that really matters. All guitar players today are pretty bad eh?
Ever listen to Sonic Youth, Helium, Pavement, Hum, Radiohead, or
dinosaur Jr? All of those bands have brilliant guitar players.

Andrew Hinton

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96

Big Boss (hi...@ra.msstate.edu) wrote:
: d j. mascis

:
: >
: > Since you asked, Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam.
: >
: >
: >
:
I will second that: Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam.
For another vote, I nominate Eric Clapton. He is not bad, just very
boring and EXTREMELY overrated.

John Sheehy

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
leto...@ix.netcom.com(Judy Letostak ) writes:

>Nah, Kurt (NoBrain) Cobain, had to be the worst,

That's right, pick on a dead person who isn't around to defend himself,
and who never claimed to be a great guitar player. Hope that makes you
feel big.

>actually, take your
>pick from the bands of today, they're all pretty bad.

You mean, they don't have the same ideals as you do, or, you haven't
really heard much of what is being done today, except for what's in the
buzzbin.

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

John Sheehy

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
Guitar- O the great! writes:

>Dream theater now that's scarry? Kurt Cobain was never considered a
>great guitarist or singer. he could write great melodies and that's
>all that really matters. All guitar players today are pretty bad eh?
>Ever listen to Sonic Youth, Helium, Pavement, Hum, Radiohead, or
>dinosaur Jr? All of those bands have brilliant guitar players.

Not to mention Dada.

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Brian E Steele

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
>>Ever listen to Sonic Youth, Helium, Pavement, Hum, Radiohead, or
>>dinosaur Jr? All of those bands have brilliant guitar players.
don't forget who predated that style of guitar playing found in some of
those bands: Geordie
his style is so wonderful......

Michael E. Taffi

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
I think you're off your rocker about Eddie, but that's just my opinion!

You know who isn't given enough credit: The guitarist for WEEN!

In <4lgqdv$r...@watt.electriciti.com> ak...@powergrid.electriciti.com
(Mark Zedaker) writes:

> Most overrated guitarist? Eddie Van Halen (/me ducks about 50
>simultaneous flamethrowers). Sure, he did Eruption, fine. He can tap
>and occasionally speed-pick, and... err... well, that's about it,
>really.
>
> As for worst guitarist.... well, I'll have to second the nod for
>Courtney Love. "Hole Unplugged" remains the worst thing I've ever
>seen, music wise... gah, that was downright HORRIBLE.
>
> And I STILL like Vai :p
>
>o--------------------------------o-----------------------------------o
>|Mark Zedaker |IRC: Tux_Mlvn |
>|ak...@powergrid.electriciti.com |http://www.electriciti.com/~akuma/ |
>o--------------------------------o-----------------------------------o
>| Message... sending...ACTIVATION |
>o--------------------------------------------------------------------o
>| Resident scrub of alt.games.sf2! |
>o--------------------------------------------------------------------o

Jdibenedet

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

Whoa

Theslammer wrote:

"Steve is the finest guitarist in Rock now, then and probably in the
future. Don't assume that because someone is playing in an odd meter they
are off time......too many rock players (almost all) can't hear anything
but 4/4......Fragile was with Bruford a master of odd meter.
The Amazing Slammer"

I love him, too but meter aside He often sounds like he almost forgot what
he was playing. But, Im listening to Going for the One right now and he is
forgiven.
Remember Drama.

John Sheehy

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

Guitar- O the great! writes:

>Dream theater now that's scarry? Kurt Cobain was never considered a
>great guitarist or singer. he could write great melodies and that's
>all that really matters. All guitar players today are pretty bad eh?

>Ever listen to Sonic Youth, Helium, Pavement, Hum, Radiohead, or
>dinosaur Jr? All of those bands have brilliant guitar players.

Not to mention Dada.

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Michael E. Taffi

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

Talking about good guitarists of today: Billy of Smashing Pumpkins!

In <4lma1l$b...@dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com> Guitar- O the great! writes:

>leto...@ix.netcom.com(Judy Letostak ) wrote:
>
>>In <317AF8...@iastate.edu> I've got big nad sacs
>><nad...@iastate.edu> writes:

>>> the worst guitar player is yngvie "how do you fuckin spell my
>

>>Nah, Kurt (NoBrain) Cobain, had to be the worst, actually, take your

>>pick from the bands of today, they're all pretty bad.
>

>>Where's Dream Theater?

Jack Diamond

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

Neil Young is fuckin' amazing.

I remember seeing him in the 70's with Crosby, Stills and Nash and he
just tears their heads right off. A totally different bag.
A fucked up psych rock and roll the best feedback ending guitar player
anywhere.

I also saw him in the 70's playing for 3 bucks at all of these different
bars in Santa Cruz under the name of The Ducks.

This was him with The Moby Grape. Unbelieveable shows.
The best, every night for 2 weeks

The gold old days are gone forever.

Coincidentally, right after that there was a big bru ha ha and his "real
band", Crazy Horse released a Live LP that sold many millions of copies

Jack
and

Scott C. Fritzinger

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Big Boss (hi...@ra.msstate.edu) wrote:
: d j. mascis

: >
: > Since you asked, Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam.

since this is your opinion, i'm not gonna say you're wrong... but i'll
disagree...

there is one thing that i believe you overlooked... he is definitely not
overrated... i haven't seen more than 2 columns on him in any magazine in
the past year (even with the "mad season" side project and all)... i feel
he is more underrated than overrated..

--
_----- ______
_-~~ ~~~-__ ___--- ''-.,
| -~
| { Proud to be a Guitar Freak!
| .*. __ __ -, ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| |:| |: | |: | ,-------------------------------------------~
| |:| |: | |: | | || | | || | | | | |
| |:| |: | |: | '-------------------------------------------_
| '*' ~~ ~~ -'
| O ( Later,
| O _* ____ ~-__ Scott.
-_ ~ __--~ ~--__ ~}
//~~--___--~~ ~--~~
// (check out my page at http://www.scs.unr.edu/~scottf
-~ Lessons... Tabs... and more!)

Daniel Maverick Falkoff

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Moby Grape was great. I even saw them live
once in Boston (roughly 1970) but didn't know or
remember that Neil Young was in i,t though you
are probably correct.

Greg Sullivan

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

jgro...@njmsa.UMDNJ.EDU (Joseph Grossman) wrote:
>In article <Pine.SUN.3.92.960423...@Ra.MsState.Edu> Big Boss <hi...@ra.msstate.edu> writes:
>>sometimes i think that i am by far the most over rated guitarist of ALL
>>times! everywhere i go, women are screaming and tearing off their shirts
>>all for me. this gets old really quick. i mean, i only know 3 chords!
>>but i can do them VERY fast! people have lauded me as being a virtuoso,
>>and all. oh well... once in a stadium of about 446,000 people, i tried
>>to play my guitar with my stomach, and let me tell you-it sounded like
>>shit! but the people were mesmerized at my 'virtuosity'.

I did that once but I was trying to play my stomach! My
guitar was the only thing I could find to use! It sounded
like shit also but what came out of the guitar was worse.

Greg Sullivan

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

ta...@ix.netcom.com(Michael E. Taffi) wrote:
>I think you're off your rocker about Eddie, but that's just my opinion!
>
>You know who isn't given enough credit: The guitarist for WEEN!
>

>In <4lgqdv$r...@watt.electriciti.com> ak...@powergrid.electriciti.com
>(Mark Zedaker) writes:
>>
>> Most overrated guitarist? Eddie Van Halen (/me ducks about 50
>>simultaneous flamethrowers). Sure, he did Eruption, fine. He can tap
>>and occasionally speed-pick, and... err... well, that's about it,
>>really.

Yo, give the guy a break. This has always happened through
history. I'm sure that some guy listened to Bach in concert
and said; "wow does he suck!" "I'm going to trash
him publically."

Eddie was Eddie way before Steve (Vai) was Steve. Better or
worse, it's always the innovative/creative musical genious
who ends up getting trashed later on. Some day you'll read
the same comments about your hero.

Why must we always compare....

Bitch Magnet

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Worst and most overrated guitarist:

Y. Malsteem (or however you spell his name). Maybe not the worst, but
definetly the most soulless guitar player.

peace,
rick

Jon

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

The handicapped guys from Smashing Pumpkins both of them. Kurt
Cobain, retarded from Oasis. Take a few lessons please...

Mark Zedaker

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

In article <4lqu18$k...@nn.fast.net>
Greg Sullivan <balac...@edpcs.com> writes:

> Yo, give the guy a break. This has always happened through
> history. I'm sure that some guy listened to Bach in concert
> and said; "wow does he suck!" "I'm going to trash
> him publically."

Wait, wait, I didn't say Eddie SUCKED, per se.. I said he was
*overrated*. Big difference. Sammy Hagar sucks, Eddie dosn't. I just
think he (Eddie) gets more credit than he deserves. ^_^

> Eddie was Eddie way before Steve (Vai) was Steve. Better or
> worse, it's always the innovative/creative musical genious
> who ends up getting trashed later on. Some day you'll read
> the same comments about your hero.

Ehrm... actually, Vai was playing with Frank Zappa before Eddie
was Eddie, but we won't go there.. ^_^

o--------------------------------o-----------------------------------o
|Mark Zedaker |IRC: Tux_Mlvn |
|ak...@powergrid.electriciti.com |http://www.electriciti.com/~akuma/ |
o--------------------------------o-----------------------------------o
| Message... sending...ACTIVATION |
o--------------------------------------------------------------------o

| SFA Code: t+(++) c T -> T+ r f g-- m? -s+ v+ M+(M) n++:+ o+ |
o--------------------------------------------------------------------o

craig o'donnell

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Dan, Neil Young wasn't in Moby Grape.

-- COD
craig_o'don...@bmugbos.org ||| author of Cool Mac Sounds

-- "What ho, Mercutio" [Wm Shaksper]
-- "What? Homer Simpson?!" [M Groening]

James Andrews

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

>>In article <Pine.SUN.3.92.960423...@Ra.MsState.Edu> Big Boss <hi...@ra.msstate.edu> writes:
>>>sometimes i think that i am by far the most over rated guitarist of ALL
>>>times! everywhere i go, women are screaming and tearing off their shirts
>>>all for me. this gets old really quick. i mean, i only know 3 chords!
>>>but i can do them VERY fast! people have lauded me as being a virtuoso,
>>>and all. oh well... once in a stadium of about 446,000 people, i tried
>>>to play my guitar with my stomach, and let me tell you-it sounded like
>>>shit! but the people were mesmerized at my 'virtuosity'. i really

>>>thought that would downplay my guitar god status, it only strengthened it.
>>>WHAT CAN I DO!

This is the funniest thing I have read on this newsgroup in ages!

Jas.
------------------------------------
James Andrews
Philadelphia, PA
and...@ben.dev.upenn.edu

Klapauzius

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Im Artikel <4lqqe4$k...@nic.umass.edu>, rv...@titan.oit.umass.edu (Bitch
Magnet) schreibt:

>Y. Malsteem (or however you spell his name). Maybe not the worst, but
>definetly the most soulless guitar player.
>
>peace,
>rick

soulless, right you are! I was looking for such a hitting vocabular since
this discussion started. Do you think Steve Vai lacks the same ?

Klapauzius

******
At least I (me) know what I wanted to xpress !
******

garry b.

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

> sometimes i think that i am by far the most over rated guitarist of ALL
> times! everywhere i go, women are screaming and tearing off their shirts
> all for me. this gets old really quick. i mean, i only know 3 chords!
> but i can do them VERY fast! people have lauded me as being a virtuoso,
> and all. oh well... once in a stadium of about 446,000 people, i tried
> to play my guitar with my stomach, and let me tell you-it sounded like
> shit! but the people were mesmerized at my 'virtuosity'. i really
> thought that would downplay my guitar god status, it only strengthened it.
> WHAT CAN I DO!

When you're hot, you're hot. Don't fight it, man, it's bigger than all
of us. :^)

garry b.

"I live on a diet of regrets, cigarettes, and caffeine." -garry b.
Sound tech at outdoor music show: "The sound man says your Marshall
is louder than the p.a. system!" Me: "Cool!" ga...@reed.edu

Russ Army

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

BB> sometimes i think that i am by far the most over rated guitarist of
BB> ALL times! everywhere i go, women are screaming and tearing off their
BB> shirts all for me. this gets old really quick. i mean, i only know 3
BB> chords! but i can do them VERY fast! people have lauded me as being a
BB> virtuoso, and all. oh well... once in a stadium of about 446,000
BB> people, i tried to play my guitar with my stomach, and let me tell
BB> you-it sounded like shit! but the people were mesmerized at my
BB> 'virtuosity'. i really thought that would downplay my guitar god
BB> status, it only strengthened it. WHAT CAN I DO!
Hmm, gee who does this sound like? Billie Joe Armstrong?????

_____
/D%23 \
(_______)
| 0 0 |
\ - /
_#------|-|-|------#_
/ | \
/ /| | |\ \
/==/ |=======|=======| \==\
/ / | | | \ \
/__/ | | | \__\
( ) | `\ | /` | ( )
(_/% |_______|_______| %\_)
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
|____| |____|
\_________|___|+_________+|___|_________/
Eric Army Russ...@Castle.shore.net

Frederick Sall

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

In <dmf.223....@c-c.com> d...@c-c.com (Daniel Maverick Falkoff)
writes:

>Moby Grape was great. I even saw them live
>once in Boston (roughly 1970) but didn't know or
>remember that Neil Young was in i,t though you
>are probably correct.

Huh? Neil Young was never in Moby Grape.

Thomas D. Penfield

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

In <4lqpb9$s...@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com> fs...@ix.netcom.com(Frederick

my recollection is that neil was with buffalo springfield during this
time period.
tom

Christopher Wireman

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

In <4lqqlm$c...@dfw-ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> penf...@ix.netcom.com(Thomas
D. Penfield ) writes:

>>>Moby Grape was great. I even saw them live
>>>once in Boston (roughly 1970) but didn't know or
>>>remember that Neil Young was in i,t though you
>>>are probably correct.
>>
>>Huh? Neil Young was never in Moby Grape.
>
>my recollection is that neil was with buffalo springfield during this
>time period.
>tom

Yep, Buffalo Springfield. For those of you that don't know what the
hell yer talking about: "those who are ignorant of history are doomed
to repeat it."
So I figure you will probably form the next Moby Grape.

Christopher

Christopher Wireman | Travel begins where the traffic
wire...@ix.netcom.com | stops - R. Taylor
cwi...@uswest.com |

Bud Hanke

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

Do the math...Eddie was Eddie before Steve was Steve...

parasite

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

On Sun, 21 Apr 1996 07:25:03 -0700, sloppy <fre...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>T.H.E. Machine wrote:
>>
>> Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?

Yup, my vote for most overrated guitarist definitely goes for Steve
Vai...
para...@infobahnos.com

Carl Fiadino

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

I'll try to put this as nice as possible.
Mcready's vibrato is awful.
His bends are always off pitch.
If you listened to a lot of Hendrix, Trower and SRV guitar,you will hear
how awful Mcready is. He is a hack who got lucky. Carl

Frederick Sall

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

In <317FF2...@best.com> Jack Diamond <dye...@best.com> writes:

>Neil Young is fuckin' amazing.
>
>I remember seeing him in the 70's with Crosby, Stills and Nash and he
>just tears their heads right off. A totally different bag.
>A fucked up psych rock and roll the best feedback ending guitar player

>anywhere.
>
>I also saw him in the 70's playing for 3 bucks at all of these
different
>bars in Santa Cruz under the name of The Ducks.
>
>This was him with The Moby Grape. Unbelieveable shows.
>The best, every night for 2 weeks

: Jack, you're mostly correct, but to my recollection the Ducks didn't
feature all of the Moby Grapesters. While ex-Grape bassist Bob Mosley
did play with Neil in the Ducks, Skip Spence wasn't there, don't think
Jerry Miller was either, and I can't remember about Peter Lewis. Don
Stevenson may have played with the Ducks during the brief Neil
flirtation. So technically it wasn't Moby Grape but a loose group with
a couple of ex-Moby Grape members. _I think/seem to recall._

: No authorized Neil and the Ducks material has been released to date.
Perhaps on the long-awaited Neil archival set, if/when it's ever
released.

: One thing everybody who saw these shows [not I, unfortunately] agrees
about is that they were absolutely smoking.

KEANONL

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

neil young is a great guitarist and songwriter,
you are drunk.

"Pull my lips back watch me smile"
SM Jenkins

"This one is scrawny and looks like me because it's dirty and I'm so dirty
too."
Mary Timony

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Willy Wonka

KEANONL

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

you are a dumb fuck.
you can't criticize or overrate him if you can't even spell his name
right.
come on , DJ Mascis?
what are you, a high school football captain turnrd alternative?
does he have too much talent for you?

dumbass.....ignoramus.

Keanon

Guido The Sicilian Land Shark

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

Aaron Kipness wrote:

> The most OVERRATED guitar player of ALL TIME is without a doubt:
>
> ERIC CLAPTON
>
> The call him slow hand, but its a nice way of saying the man has no
> chops. Overrated to the max.
> you need to eat some red meat and clear your mind. Clapton is not the
most overrated guitarist around. Yngwie is. I first heard Mammarysteen
I was impressed, for about the first 4 bars of Icarius Suite Opus 4,
after about the 2nd or 3rd 64th note run, I was ready to puke. I would
rather hear emotion, and when Clapton plays I feel every note. Speed has
its place, but... its good if you can hear the notes.

Yngwie has technical skill, but that isn't everything.

Chiao
Guido the Sicilian Land Shark

Bitch Magnet

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

Klapauzius (klapa...@aol.com) wrote:
: Im Artikel <4lqqe4$k...@nic.umass.edu>, rv...@titan.oit.umass.edu (Bitch

: Magnet) schreibt:
:
: >Y. Malsteem (or however you spell his name). Maybe not the worst, but
: >definetly the most soulless guitar player.
: >
: >peace,
: >rick
:
: soulless, right you are! I was looking for such a hitting vocabular since
: this discussion started. Do you think Steve Vai lacks the same ?
:
: Klapauzius
:
:
I don't know if Vai is souless. Could be the case. At least with Vai,
though, we have someone who, whether souless or not, knows how to play
the guitar. I don't know though, Passion and Warfare was good and so was
the stuff on Whitesnake (though I hate to admit it.) I'd say he's not
Stevie Ray Vaugh, now there's a man with Soul!

peace,
rick

KC

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96
> para...@infobahnos.comHow can you consider Steve Vai the MOST overrated guitarist?
Who are you comparing him to?

Ton Maas

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

In article <4lqqlm$c...@dfw-ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>,

penf...@ix.netcom.com(Thomas D. Penfield ) wrote:

>>Huh? Neil Young was never in Moby Grape.
>
>my recollection is that neil was with buffalo springfield during this
>time period.

Yes, Neil was one of the founding members of Buffalo Springfield. Moby
Grape drummer Alexander "Skip" Spence also turned out to be one hell of a
singer-songwriter, even though he made only *one* album, the legendary
"OAR" - long out of print but recently reissued on CD.

Ton Maas, Amsterdam NL

Brendan Sturt

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

Jon <10056...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

>The handicapped guys from Smashing Pumpkins both of them. Kurt
>Cobain, retarded from Oasis. Take a few lessons please...

ok then since you've got everything and everybody sussed out...whens
you're next album coming out ???

Must be pretty good if you can affoard to call James Iha retarded?

Brendan

herr...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

> : > Since you asked, Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam.
>
> there is one thing that i believe you overlooked... he is definitely not
> overrated... i haven't seen more than 2 columns on him in any magazine in
> the past year (even with the "mad season" side project and all)... i feel
> he is more underrated than overrated..

I lost any interest in him when he became yet another rock star to
continue the pointless legacy of smashing guitars. Not cheap ones
either, but ones that would make players happy to own.
His slobbering Hendrix worship grates on me too, even though I dig
Hendrix. I guess he's still a fine guitar player, but I'd take many
more over him.
Alex

J. Hurd

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

hi.I am spencer hurd,Ihave like no money right now,but I want to try
to build a bass cab,amd head for it,but if you have a head set thingy
(head,pre-amp,whatevers nessasary to run a cab...)for cheap,or any
speakers lying around,(maybe even for free!??)mail me at my dads
email, wich is jh...@sos.net.
-remember befor dissmissing this as some kid who cant pay much,that is
IS a kid who cant pay much,but desperatly wants to start a bass stack,
so it would be an act of EXTREMEcharity if you would at least consider
it.
-spencer
ps:I have no$ cuz I foolishly spent all of it on a new bass

Ben Lauter

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

>peace,
>rick

IMHO, SRV is a really crappy player, playing generic blues licks. Now
speaking of Whitesnake, if you want to speak of an UNDERrated guitarist, try
John Sykes. He blows 'em all away if you ask me.

Ben
--
* * * * * "You wanted the best, you got it...the hottest band in
* * * **** **** the land....KISS!!!!!"

TIMOTHY GUEGUEN

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

Jdibenedet (jdibe...@aol.com) wrote:
: Whoa
: Theslammer wrote:
: >
: "Steve is the finest guitarist in Rock now, then and probably in the
: future. Don't assume that because someone is playing in an odd meter they
: are off time......too many rock players (almost all) can't hear anything
: but 4/4......Fragile was with Bruford a master of odd meter.
: The Amazing Slammer"
: >
: I love him, too but meter aside He often sounds like he almost forgot what
: he was playing. But, Im listening to Going for the One right now and he is
: forgiven.
: Remember Drama.
Do you like Drama? I actually think its not a bad record. Most folks
slag it off just because Jon Anderson isn't on it. It definitely has a
much more attractive cover than Tormato, the one before it.

tim gueguen ad...@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca

jan vaes

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

Ben Lauter wrote:

> IMHO, SRV is a really crappy player, playing generic blues licks. Now
> speaking of Whitesnake, if you want to speak of an UNDERrated guitarist, try
> John Sykes. He blows 'em all away if you ask me.
>
> Ben
> --
> * * * * * "You wanted the best, you got it...the hottest band in
> * * * **** **** the land....KISS!!!!!"
> * * * * *
> * * * * * "He's worth a DEUCE" -Gene Simmons, KISSDear benny,

get a life
or better: get a record, and i 'd say get 'the sky is crying', stevies
post mortem cd,and listen to track number four first.
and then listen again, and again, and again
the post to this news group the following:

' hi boys and girls, i'm truly very sorry i stated srv as being an
overrated player. Only recently i heard his version of jimi hendrix
little wing an dit blew me of my feet. I am really considering buying al
his records and seriously toying with the idea of selling my kiss records
(although not all of them), Ben'
and you will be forgiven!!!!
jan

Chris Holmes

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

In article <317edc2a...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, jsh...@ix.netcom.com
says...

>leto...@ix.netcom.com(Judy Letostak ) writes:
>
>>Nah, Kurt (NoBrain) Cobain, had to be the worst,
>
>That's right, pick on a dead person who isn't around to defend himself,
>and who never claimed to be a great guitar player. Hope that makes you
>feel big.

The question wasn't about the guitar player's opinion of himself/herself,
but of YOUR own opinion of him/her. Wether Cobain thought he was good or
not, doesn't change the opinion of the respondent. And in truth, Cobain
was NOT a talented guitar player. It certainly didn't make his musical
impact any less significant, but then, that wasn't the question was it?

>>actually, take your
>>pick from the bands of today, they're all pretty bad.
>
>You mean, they don't have the same ideals as you do, or, you haven't
>really heard much of what is being done today, except for what's in the
>buzzbin.

Ideals? Wrong answer. Ideals have nothing to do with knowledge of the
instrument and talent in playing said instrument. It doesn't matter if
you have the idea for the greatest song in the world. If you don't know
what you should know about you're instrument, then you'll never be able to
reproduce that song in you're head. The more you know, the better you can
be.

The question was, and I'll repeat this for you slow minded types:
"Who is the worst or most overrated guitar player?"

This has nothing to do with what kind of music is written, or how big a
star the person is, or wether or not they are a nice person. Understand
the damn question before you give such a stupid response. Is Cobain a bad
guitar player? Yes. Was he a good musician? (different question now, so
think about it) Probably. Was he successfull? Yes, most definately.

As for my vote on WORST guitar player or MOST OVERRATED.
Any grunge guitar player (or other ingnorant guitar player) who feels that
technique is something to be shunned. Feel and emotion are great aspects
of music. But solid technique, and knowledge of the instrument, should
never be overlooked or forgotten. It's much the same as speaking without
knowing a full vocabulary. You've heard these people; they can't complete
an intelligent sounding sentence to save their life. Guitar players who
shunn technique sound the same: immature and childish. Their compositions
could sound so much better if they knew more about how to play properly.
Knowledge is power.

Chris Holmes

Chris Holmes

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

In article <Pine.SUN.3.92.960423...@Ra.MsState.Edu>,
hi...@ra.msstate.edu says...

>sometimes i think that i am by far the most over rated guitarist of ALL
>times! everywhere i go, women are screaming and tearing off their shirts
>all for me. this gets old really quick. i mean, i only know 3 chords!
>but i can do them VERY fast! people have lauded me as being a virtuoso,
>and all. oh well... once in a stadium of about 446,000 people, i tried
>to play my guitar with my stomach, and let me tell you-it sounded like
>shit! but the people were mesmerized at my 'virtuosity'. i really
>thought that would downplay my guitar god status, it only strengthened
it.
>WHAT CAN I DO!

Learn everything about you're instrument that you possibly can. Play only
well thought out, and well composed music. Execute that music with
absolute precision and clarity, with dashes of emotion. You'll be cast
aside as some know-it-all guitar player who only thinks in 9/8 time, in
favor of less qualified musicians.

Of course, then you'd be a progressive guitar player.

Chris Holmes

Joerg Neulist

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

On 23 Apr 1996, Carl Fiadino wrote:
> Since you asked, Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam.
Have you heard some of their live performances? Or the Temple Of The Dog
record? I admit that he is not the technician, but he's got feeling...
By the way, how do you tell his parts from those of Stone?

My choice would be Dave Mustaine. I saw Megadeth at the Rock am Ring
festival and I must say even though he's not very high-rated, that's
still far too much!

Joerg

"Planecide or mass extinction, can someone tell me the distinction?"
Come Up Screaming: "Extinction Game"
Howgh! Joerg Neulist has spoken: neu...@student.uni-kl.de

Carl Fiadino

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

fs...@ix.netcom.com(Frederick Sall) wrote:
>In <317FF2...@best.com> Jack Diamond <dye...@best.com> writes:
>>
>>Neil Young is fuckin' amazing.
>>
>>I remember seeing him in the 70's with Crosby, Stills and Nash and he
>>just tears their heads right off. A totally different bag.
>>A fucked up psych rock and roll the best feedback ending guitar player
>
>>anywhere.

The only amazing thing about Neil Young is that he sucks just as hard as
he did 25 years ago. You think the guy would have improved a little.
Feedback ending? wow, that takes a lot of talent to make a bunch of
noise. Turn off all that noise and then listen to him. he makes
Mike Mcready look good.

Jon Nilsen

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

What the hell's the point of this? Music ain't a goddam *contest.* Now,
who would argue that Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran or Buddy Holly were
"great" guitarists? Yet without'em, most of you mooks would be
collecting butterflies or painting by numbers. There is no finish line.
Musicians don't score goals. Should Lou Reed hang up his Strat because
he can't shred?

--Jon Nilsen

Message has been deleted

Judy Letostak

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

In <4lls4l$7...@mark.ucdavis.edu> ez04...@boris.ucdavis.edu (Andrew

Hinton) writes:

>Big Boss (hi...@ra.msstate.edu) wrote:
>: d j. mascis
>:
>: >
>: > Since you asked, Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam.
>: >
>: >
>: >
>:
>I will second that: Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam.
>For another vote, I nominate Eric Clapton. He is not bad, just very
>boring and EXTREMELY overrated.
Well if yer gonna pick on Eric, not guitarists here, but Yanni (Yawnni)
or Kenny G (G stands for Garbage). Now they're both TOTALLY OVERRATED
and boring. + Neither of them are jazz artists as they (and their
fans) so claim. Like Louis Armstrong, or Stan Getz myself.

John Sheehy

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Carl Fiadino <fia...@bccom.com> writes:

>I'll try to put this as nice as possible.
>Mcready's vibrato is awful.
>His bends are always off pitch.

How do you know what pitch he is aiming for?

>If you listened to a lot of Hendrix, Trower and SRV guitar,you will hear
>how awful Mcready is. He is a hack who got lucky.

Oh, I see. Someone playing guitar in 1991 reaches for the same pitches
as someone playing in the late sixties to the early eighties.

What's it like to have such a rigid way of listening to music?

Can I borrow your checklist sometime?

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

John Sheehy

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

ak...@powergrid.electriciti.com (Mark Zedaker) writes:

> Ehrm... actually, Vai was playing with Frank Zappa before Eddie
>was Eddie, but we won't go there.. ^_^

Are you sure? Vai was 12 or 13 years old when Van Halen's first album
came out.

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Darren Boas

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

In article <31855d35...@nntp.netcruiser> jsh...@ix.netcom.com (John Sheehy) writes:
>From: jsh...@ix.netcom.com (John Sheehy)
>Newsgroups: alt.guitar,alt.guitar.tab
>Subject: Re: "Worst or most overrated guitarist
>Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 00:26:36 GMT

>ak...@powergrid.electriciti.com (Mark Zedaker) writes:

>> Ehrm... actually, Vai was playing with Frank Zappa before Eddie
>>was Eddie, but we won't go there.. ^_^

>Are you sure? Vai was 12 or 13 years old when Van Halen's first album
>came out.

check out the triple zappa cd "shut up and play yer guitar" for zappa/vai it's
around that time period

darren

> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
> John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
> ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

David Ellis

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

John Sheehy (jsh...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Guitar- O the great! writes:

: >Dream theater now that's scarry? Kurt Cobain was never considered a
: >great guitarist or singer. he could write great melodies and that's
: >all that really matters. All guitar players today are pretty bad eh?
: >Ever listen to Sonic Youth, Helium, Pavement, Hum, Radiohead, or
: >dinosaur Jr? All of those bands have brilliant guitar players.
~~~~~~~~~
Careful how you use that word.........

: Not to mention Dada.

: <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
: John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
: ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Jeff Preston

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Bud Hanke wrote:

> Do the math...Eddie was Eddie before Steve was Steve...

And Allan was Allan before Eddie tried to emulate his style using
both hands. What does any of this prove, btw?

Jeff

Lucas Taylor

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Andrew Hinton (ez04...@boris.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
: Big Boss (hi...@ra.msstate.edu) wrote:
: : d j. mascis
: :
: : >
: : > Since you asked, Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam.
: : >
: : >
: : >
: :
: I will second that: Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam.
: For another vote, I nominate Eric Clapton. He is not bad, just very
: boring and EXTREMELY overrated.

I have to disagree with both of you. First of all Mike Mcready my not be
that great of a guitarist but he hardly gets any recognigion as it is, the
only person who is overrated on Pearl Jam is Eddie.
As far as Eric Clapton, how can you say thay that he is overrated much
less boring, Clapton is one of the greated and diverse guitarist of all
time.
I would have to nominate The Edge and Malmstine

Andrew Riley

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

I wouldn't say Edge is overated.... He tends to rely more on effects
than fretboard gymnastics but that doesn't mean he can't play... I
think the riffs he comes up with really fit into the songs and drive
them..

DANIEL H MEANS

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

netcom.com>
: D. Penfield ) writes:

: >>>Moby Grape was great. I even saw them live
: >>>once in Boston (roughly 1970) but didn't know or
: >>>remember that Neil Young was in i,t though you
: >>>are probably correct.
: >>

: ================================================================
: Christopher Wireman | Travel begins where the traffic
: wire...@ix.netcom.com | stops - R. Taylor
: cwi...@uswest.com |
:
:
:
:
:
I thought he was solo in 1970. Didn't "Everybody knows...." come out in 69?
Because Steven Stills was with CS&N in 69 I would think Buffalo Springfield
was gone by 69.Later,Daniel.

Greg Jones

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

In article <4m37oi$4...@gti.gti.net>, jun...@gti.net (Aaron Kipness) writes:
|> The most OVERRATED guitar player of ALL TIME is without a doubt:
|>
|> ERIC CLAPTON
|>
|> The call him slow hand, but its a nice way of saying the man has no
|> chops. Overrated to the max.

Amen to that!

Jdibenedet

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Hee Hee,
You don't have to whistle 70,000 notes a minute to whistle a tune

Jdibenedet

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

It's the best Yes album Yes never did.
Now repeat after me:

Squire and Howe
Squire and Howe
Squire and Howe
Squire and Howe.............

jwi...@infoave.net

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

d...@c-c.com (Daniel Maverick Falkoff) wrote:

>Moby Grape was great. I even saw them live
>once in Boston (roughly 1970) but didn't know or
>remember that Neil Young was in i,t though you
>are probably correct.

I hope Neil Young will remember,
a southern man dont need him around, any how.

Jon P. Nilsen

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

Whattayou, 13? 14? Go ask Eddie or Satch if Clapton's "overrated." Yeah,
that must be why Eddie taught himself every lick Clapton ever played. Go
back to school, sonny.

Scott C. Fritzinger

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

Carl Fiadino (fia...@bccom.com) wrote:
: >there is one thing that i believe you overlooked... he is definitely not

: >overrated... i haven't seen more than 2 columns on him in any magazine in
: >the past year (even with the "mad season" side project and all)... i feel
: >he is more underrated than overrated..

: I'll try to put this as nice as possible.

: Mcready's vibrato is awful.
: His bends are always off pitch.

: If you listened to a lot of Hendrix, Trower and SRV guitar,you will hear
: how awful Mcready is. He is a hack who got lucky. Carl

i agree... Hendrix and SRV IMHO will put anyone to shame (asbestos suit
on... won't feel any flames from anyone else.. :) )... and Mcready's
playing isn't extremely technical, but he's come up with memorable riffs,
and is still goin' strong... as for a hack, aren't we all? all trying to
come up with our own style, which is just a branch off of someone else's
style...

--
_----- ______
_-~~ ~~~-__ ___--- ''-.,
| -~
| { Proud to be a Guitar Freak!
| .*. __ __ -, ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| |:| |: | |: | ,-------------------------------------------~
| |:| |: | |: | | || | | || | | | | |
| |:| |: | |: | '-------------------------------------------_
| '*' ~~ ~~ -'
| O ( Later,
| O _* ____ ~-__ Scott.
-_ ~ __--~ ~--__ ~}
//~~--___--~~ ~--~~
// (check out my page at http://www.scs.unr.edu/~scottf
-~ Lessons... Tabs... and more!)

ADAM HERNANDEZ

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

any heavy metal shit or all of those just using powerchord bands
suck!!!! that is what i call over rated, if you want to know one of the
best guitar players alive is Joe Walsh

Ronald

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

The most overrated guitar player of all time would have to be (without a
doubt) Kurt Cobain!
The man had not one once of talent vocally or guitar wise, but not all
these "alternative" (a.k.a. Pop) loving teenagers are putting him up
there with the likes of Hendrix, etc.
This makes me sick seeing them walk around with those teeshirts with his
mug on them like he was so great.
Its a damn same he was so depressed he killed himself, but maybe the fact
that he chose a profession he was no good at had something to do with
that.

P.S About Clapton, just because he isn't the fastest fingerer there is
doesn't mean he isn't a great musician.

Paul D

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

In article <4m3tr3$n...@thor.cmp.ilstu.edu>, lst...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
says...

>As far as Eric Clapton, how can you say thay that he is overrated much
>less boring, Clapton is one of the greated and diverse guitarist of all
>time.
>I would have to nominate The Edge and Malmstine

While I agree with your nominations (particularly The Edge, who is nothing
without his electronic gadgets), I disagree with your support of Clapton. He
hasn't played anything really DIFFERENT in 15 years. It's the same tired old
blues nonsense. He is definitely not worth the attention he gets.
Later, Paul D.

John Sheehy

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

db...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (Darren Boas) writes:

>In article <31855d35...@nntp.netcruiser> jsh...@ix.netcom.com (John Sheehy) writes:
>>ak...@powergrid.electriciti.com (Mark Zedaker) writes:
>
>>> Ehrm... actually, Vai was playing with Frank Zappa before Eddie
>>>was Eddie, but we won't go there.. ^_^
>
>>Are you sure? Vai was 12 or 13 years old when Van Halen's first album
>>came out.
>
>check out the triple zappa cd "shut up and play yer guitar" for zappa/vai it's
>around that time period

Sure enough, I just checked my copy of SUAPYG (which is vinyl in my
case), and Vai played on tracks recorded in 1980. He was only 14 years
old then, so he must have started playing pretty young. He basically
shares rhythm guitar duties with others on this record, which are sort
of lost in the mix (I can't really hear much rhythm guitar in these
records, The lead guitar, drums and bass kind of wash everything else
out on most tracks). For some reason, I thought this record was from
about 1986 or so (maybe that's when I bought it). Anyway, Van Halen
came out at least a year before this.

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Wicked Will

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Clark Cummins wrote:

> On 20 Apr 1996 21:52:17 GMT, T.H.E. Machine
> <10202...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>
> >Who is the worst or most overrated guitarist in your opinion?
> >
> >--
> >T.H.E. Machine
>
> Only someone who is afflicted with a permanent bad attitude and has
> WAY too much time on their hands would be pondering such a mindless
> issue.

Like you are, you mean.

'''
(O O)
| Wicked Will a.k.a. | Check out my ENHANCED homepage on URL:
|William...@dur.ac.uk | http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d50858/index.html
|__|__| I thank you!
|| ||
ooO Ooo