Metadata dates change when copying photo files

People...@chicago.net

Aug 7, 2010, 9:41:54 PM8/7/10
This might be a little off-topic, but I don't know where else to go for
help. I have a digital camera and there is a ton of metadata attached to
each file. One of these is "Date Created". I assume this is the date
the photo was taken. When these files are copied from the SD card to a
folder on my hard drive, that date changes from the date the photo was
taken to the current date. The "Date Created" on the card remains the
same - but once I copy the files to the hard drive, I can no longer sort
them by "Date Taken" (because, now, the date is that of the day they were
copied over to my hard drive). In other words, the dates are all the
same. Is there some way around this phenomenon?

filly...@yahoo.com

Aug 7, 2010, 10:05:08 PM8/7/10

I just copied the contents of a CF card to my hard drive. The date
the picture was taken is there. If you look at the properties of a
file, the date created would be the date that the file was saved to
the hard drive. Bur if you look at the details window, the date will
be the actual date that the picture was taken by the camera. You can
sort by the date the picture was actually taken. Windows 7 64 bit
Ultimate.

tony cooper

Aug 7, 2010, 10:40:43 PM8/7/10
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 20:41:54 -0500, People...@Chicago.net wrote:

You haven't mentioned what software is doing the sorting and how your
software names the images.

When I upload images from the SD card, my images are named by the
software (Adobe Bridge, in my case) as a number representing the date
the actual image was taken. ie: 20100707_001. I use FastStone Image
View for sorting, and it sorts by file name so my sort is by date
taken.

If I later alter a file in Photoshop, the file name remains the same
and I still sort by date. If I create two versions from the same
image, I name the second version 20100707_001a. I still can sort by
date.

If your software names the file the same as the shot date, whatever
else you do to the file doesn't change that.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Message has been deleted

People...@chicago.net

Aug 8, 2010, 11:41:20 AM8/8/10
That is what I am looking at - the Details! Now what? Any other
recourse? What could I be doing wrong? Thanks.......

People...@chicago.net

Aug 8, 2010, 11:42:56 AM8/8/10
I will reply after looking into this a little more. Thanks.....

People...@chicago.net

Aug 8, 2010, 11:44:05 AM8/8/10
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 07:38:58 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
<jaS...@gbr.online.com> wrote:

>People...@Chicago.net found these unused words:

>Try 'Move" [hold shift key as you drag the selection] as against "Copy".

Will try later today. However, I don't want to remove the files from my
card at this time.

tony cooper

Aug 8, 2010, 12:04:48 PM8/8/10

Check out the free FastStone Image Viewer http://www.faststone.org/

It's an excellent viewer, and will sort files by file name, re-name
files, move or copy files, etc. Even if you name a file with a name
that is not the date, you can view the "date shot" by making the image
full screen (double-click on the thumbnail) and then move the cursor
to the right side of the screen. Files and Attributes will pop up,
and this is a form of the EXIF data and shows the date shot.

Hovering over the thumbnail will show a date, but the date the shot
was modified.

Message has been deleted

People...@chicago.net

Aug 16, 2010, 12:21:58 PM8/16/10
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 22:40:43 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 20:41:54 -0500, People...@Chicago.net wrote:
>
>>This might be a little off-topic, but I don't know where else to go for
>>help. I have a digital camera and there is a ton of metadata attached to
>>each file. One of these is "Date Created". I assume this is the date
>>the photo was taken. When these files are copied from the SD card to a
>>folder on my hard drive, that date changes from the date the photo was
>>taken to the current date. The "Date Created" on the card remains the
>>same - but once I copy the files to the hard drive, I can no longer sort
>>them by "Date Taken" (because, now, the date is that of the day they were
>>copied over to my hard drive). In other words, the dates are all the
>>same. Is there some way around this phenomenon?
>
>You haven't mentioned what software is doing the sorting and how your
>software names the images.

I'm sorting using Windows 7 in a normal window with column headings.
Windows does not change the filename as far as I know.

>When I upload images from the SD card, my images are named by the
>software (Adobe Bridge, in my case) as a number representing the date
>the actual image was taken. ie: 20100707_001. I use FastStone Image
>View for sorting, and it sorts by file name so my sort is by date
>taken.
>
>If I later alter a file in Photoshop, the file name remains the same
>and I still sort by date. If I create two versions from the same
>image, I name the second version 20100707_001a. I still can sort by
>date.
>
>If your software names the file the same as the shot date, whatever
>else you do to the file doesn't change that.

My camera gives the file a meaningless (to me) filename.

Message has been deleted

People...@chicago.net

Aug 16, 2010, 9:58:19 PM8/16/10
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:30:25 -0500, John Stafford <nh...@droffats.net>
wrote:

>In article <u8pi661i9vn50dnie...@4ax.com>,

> People...@Chicago.net wrote:
>
>> I'm sorting using Windows 7 in a normal window with column headings.
>> Windows does not change the filename as far as I know.
>

>Windows 7's directory (window) does not present or even look into the
>file for the metadata. You must get into the EXIF information.
>
>Your camera probably came with a program that allows you to manage the
>files. Did you get a CDROM or DVD with it?

I don't remember - but I don't think so.

>> My camera gives the file a meaningless (to me) filename.
>

>Could be that you have RAW files.
>Can you give us an example of a full file name?

P7230696.JPG