Celebrities Who Died from Smoking Addiction

tmc_...@yahoo.com

Jan 27, 2005, 4:01:04 AM1/27/05
For the past few days, I've been working on a collection of names of
famous or notable people who died from smoking related causes (i.e.
lung cancer, throat cancer, heart failure, emphysema, etc.). This is
what I have so far:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tobacco-related_deaths

John Agar, first husband of Shirley Temple Black
Gracie Allen
Stephen E. Ambrose
Louis Armstrong
Desi Arnaz
Mary Astor
Lucille Ball
Tallulah Bankhead
Carl Barger, President of the Florida Marlins
George Granville Barker
Sandy Baron
Count Basie
Gilard Becaud
Wilhelmina Behmenburg
Mark Belanger
Bea Benaderet
Jack Benny
Leonard Bernstein
Carl Betz
Amanda Blake
Art Blakey
Humphrey Bogart
Paul Brinegar
Yul Brynner
Frank Buck
Jack Buck
Anthony Burgess
John Butler, General Manager of the San Diego Chargers
Herb Caen
Rory Calhoun
John Candy
Cantinflas
Eric Carr
Johnny Carson
Jack Cassidy
Lon Chaney, Sr.
Graham Chapman
Rose Cipollone
Gloria Clapp
Rosemary Clooney
Ty Cobb
Nat King Cole
Chuck Connors
Gary Cooper
Luiz Jose Costa
Noel Coward
Bing Crosby
Gary Crosby
Scatman Crothers
Bette Davis
Sammy Davis, Jr.
Colleen Dewhurst
Selma Diamond
Joe DiMaggio
Joe DiMaggio, Jr.
Everett Dirkson
Walt Disney
Jimmy Dorsey
Morton Downey, Jr.
Dwight Eisenhower
Duke Ellington
T.S. Elliot
John Henry Falk
Mimi Faria
George Fenneman
Ruth Fertel
Jim Finks
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Cotton Fitzsimmons
Ian Fleming
Errol Flynn
Bob Fosse
James Franciscus
Pete Franklin
Victor French
Sigmund Freud
Clark Gable
Jerry Garcia
A. Bartlett Giamatti
Jackie Gleason
Dorothy Jo Gideon, wife of Bob Barker
Larry Gilbert
Arthur Godfrey
Robert Goizueta
Gale Gordon
Nancy Gore Hunger, sister of Al Gore
Stephen Jay Gould
Betty Grable
Ulysses S. Grant
Harry Guardino
Peter Gzowski
Florence Halop
Carrie Hamilton, daughter of Carol Burnett
Lorraine Hansberry
George Harrison
Lloyd Haynes
Susan Hayward
Eileen Heckart
Lillian Hellman
Earl Hindman
Elsbeary Hobbs
Judy Holiday
Moe Howard
Glenn Hughes, the biker from the Village People
Hubert Humprey
Chet Huntley
John Huston
Burl Ives
Dennis James
David Janssen
Spike Jones
Boris Karloff
Andy Kaufman died of oat cell carcinoma which is not associated with
smoking. Andy never smoked.
Stubby Kaye
Buster Keaton
Brian Keith
King George V
King George VI
King George VII
King Edward VIII
Eddie Kendrick
Patrick Kennedy, son of John F. & Jackie Kennedy was born prematurely
and died after 2 days. His death was attributed to his mother's smoking
during pregnancy.
Carolina Knapp
Michael Landon
Meyer Lansky
Gypsy Rose Lee
Alan Jay Lerner
Larry Linville
Julie London
Lloyd Mangrum
Nancy Marchand
Roger Maris
Bob Marley
E.G. Marshall
Dean Martin
Kiel Martin
Groucho Marx
Zeppo Marx
Walter Matthau
Doug McClure
Roddy McDowall
Steve McQueen
Wayne McLaren
Audrey Meadows
Melina Mercouri
Robert Mitchum
Claude Monet
Gary Moore
Agnes Moorehead
Henry Morgan
Gary Morton
Johnny Most
Edward Mulhare
Edward R. Murrow
Bob Murphy
Lorenzo Music
Pat Nixon
Susan Oliver
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
Patrick O'Neal
Roy Orbison
Jesse Owens
Jean-Louis Palladin
Bruce Paltrow
Robert Palmer
Bert Parks
Jennifer Patterson
George Peppard
Dick Powell
Vincent Price
Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden
Giacomo Puccini
Denver Pyle
Eddie Rabbit
Jason Robards
Stanley Ralph Ross
Anne Ramsey
Aldo Ray
Harry Reasoner
Pee Wee Reese
Jacquelyn Reinach
Lee Remick
R.J. Reynolds
Cal Ripken, Sr., father of Cal Ripken, Jr.
Stan Rogers
Jack Ruby
Patsy Ruff
Babe Ruth
Nora Sayre
Marge Schott
George C. Scott
Vito Scotti
Rod Serling
Delphine Seyrig
Ayatollah Mohammed Mehdi Shamseddine
Robert Shaw
Anne Shirley
Dmitri Shostakovich
Frank Sinatra
Bob H. Smith
Fred "Sonic" Smith
Jack Soo
Olan Soule
Lionel Stander
K.T. Stevens
Woody Stevens
Ed Sullivan
Fabio Taglioni
William Talman
Barb Tarbox
John Thaw
Ross Thomas
Will Thornbury
Gene Tierney
Francot Tone
Spencer Tracy
Forrest Tucker
Sophie Tucker
Lana Turner
Jean Vander Pyl
Jim Varney
Sarah Vaughn
John Wallach
Nancy Walker
John Wayne
Mary Wells
Bert Wheeler
Michael Williams
Tex Williams
Carl Wilson
William Griffith Wilson
Wolfman Jack
George Yennimatas, Greek National Economy Minister
Dick York
A. Coleman Young, Detroit, Michigan's longest-serving mayor
Warren Zevon

Not that it matters much but just a day after I started working on the
list for Wikipedia, Johnny Carson passed away from emphysema. You
know, Carson smoked regularly when he worked on "The Tonight Show." He
apparently, tried to disguise his habit by quickly puffing when the
camera wasn't on him and then hid the cigarette under his desk. I
heard that he also had a clever way to hid the rising smoke by having a
special fan under his desk.

I saw Ed McMahon interviewed on "The New Tom Green Show" on MTV. When
asked about what Carson was up to at the time, McMahon told Green that
he had emphysema because Johnny was a "really bad smoker." McMahon
also pointed out Green's knack of smoking cigarettes during and/or just
after commercial breaks (I assume as a homage to Carson).

For those who care, just before I started working on the list for
Wikipedia, I started another informal page/site concerning celebrity
smoking. I wanted to tie the afordmentioned Tom Green into this with
his ex-wife Drew Barrymore:

Description Category: Smoking
"'I get through anywhere from two to three packs a day', she declares,
with undeniable relish. 'It's disgusting. It's awful. But I love it!
Ooh I love it. If there could be an alcoholic word for smoking then
that would be me. I'm a smokaholic. Definitely. Marlboros. That's my
brand. It's such a great consistent taste. I love everything about
smoking. I love the it cures my oral fixations. I love that it's
something to do, it's somthing in my hand. I like the smell of it, the
taste of it, I love smoking! I love the first one in the morning, I
love the last one before I go to bed and every one in between. If I
could I would smoke and eat at the same time. Whether it's obsessions
or fixations, this is definitely one of mine. But if it's a fault, then
it's one I take pride in'", GQ Magazine, Apr. '95

Members: 12
Created: Jan 15, 2005
Language: English
http://www.mascotcoalition.org/education/movies/charlies_angels.html

Richie

Jan 27, 2005, 6:17:28 AM1/27/05

Amanda Blake died of aids related disease ARD

Message has been deleted

Neptuna

Jan 27, 2005, 10:19:09 AM1/27/05
your list is flawed and incorrectly asserts that the listed celebs who ever
smoked died because of smoking and that is just not true.
> > Leonard Bernstein--- AIDS
> Carl Betz-----AIDS
> Amanda Blake----AIDS
> John Candy------ heart attack
> Jack Cassidy------died in a fire
> Graham Chapman-----liver cancer
> Bing Crosby---heart attack on a golf course
> Jackie Gleason--- heart failure
> Glenn Hughes, the biker from the Village People died of non-respiratory
> cancer
> Brian Keith---committed suicide
> Edward Mulhare----AIDS

Off the top of my head I dispute these claims and there are several more
that are speciously concluded just because the deceased smoked. I do not
smoke but just cannot accept the pat claim that smoking killed all of these
people.

charliekilo

Jan 27, 2005, 10:45:27 AM1/27/05
"Neptuna" <nep...@undersea.net> wrote in message

It's also a problem with how the government collects data on smoking related
deaths. It's my understanding that if a death occurs to an individual, and
that individual smoked, whether or not they died from something actually
smoking related, it's still counted as a smoking related death.

Message has been deleted

Neptuna

Jan 27, 2005, 10:43:00 AM1/27/05

"charliekilo" <miles_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Its also a problem of Wikipedia entries just being accepted as fact for
anybody to make false claims and then having the idiocy to include Andy
Kaufman and re-asseret that he never smoked. Well, if he NEVER smoked, what
is his name doing on this idiotic list?

doomella

Jan 27, 2005, 10:59:14 AM1/27/05

"charliekilo" <miles_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> It's also a problem with how the government collects data on smoking

related
> deaths. It's my understanding that if a death occurs to an individual, and
> that individual smoked, whether or not they died from something actually
> smoking related, it's still counted as a smoking related death.

I've seen studies like that. My theory is that everybody who dies has one
thing in common: They drank water. Beware!

Brooke Mayne

Jan 27, 2005, 11:08:24 AM1/27/05
ok were is gregory hines and barry bonds cigartte addicted father bobby

Ren Höek

Jan 27, 2005, 12:04:09 PM1/27/05
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:19:09 GMT, "Neptuna" <nep...@undersea.net>
wrote:

The guy is an obvious moron.

Ran Endish

Jan 27, 2005, 12:29:56 PM1/27/05
So you're saying smoking doesn't kill people. Riiiiiiiiiiiighhhhtttt

"Ren Höek" <drag...@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message

> Most of the people below lived into their 70's and 80's. Some
> people on the list didn't smoke cigarettes. Now you want to post more
> drivel that isn't based on research? By the way, Amada Blake died of
> AIDS and many on your list just died of old age. Heart failure comes
> with old age you know.

mc

Jan 27, 2005, 12:49:21 PM1/27/05
The first one that came to mind was Yul Brynner because of that
commercial he did. I was lucky enough to see his probably 1000th
performance of "The King and I".

MC
Keeper of Giovanni Ribisi!

Bigolhomo

Jan 27, 2005, 1:15:01 PM1/27/05
wrote:

>> Jack Cassidy------died in a fire

> Off the top of my head I dispute these claims and there are several more
>that are speciously concluded just because the deceased smoked. I do not
>smoke but just cannot accept the pat claim that smoking killed all of these
>people.

I think Jack Cassidy died in a fire that started because he fell
asleep with a lit cigarette in his hand. Of course, by the same
logic, one could conclude that cooking can kill you since a lot of
fires are started that way.

--

Bigolhomo

Betsy

Jan 27, 2005, 1:18:15 PM1/27/05

"Neptuna" <nep...@undersea.net> wrote in message
| your list is flawed and incorrectly asserts that the listed celebs
who ever
| smoked died because of smoking and that is just not true.
| > > Leonard Bernstein--- AIDS
| > Carl Betz-----AIDS
| > Amanda Blake----AIDS
| > John Candy------ heart attack
| > Jack Cassidy------died in a fire

Yes, Jack Cassidy died in a fire--that he started from falling asleep
with a burning cigarette in his hand. Started the mattress on fire and
killed him. So while he did not die from lung or heart disease, his
cigarette addiction did in fact cause his death.

Kris Baker

Jan 27, 2005, 1:21:09 PM1/27/05

"Bigolhomo" <br...@noparticulardomain.com> wrote in message

Then let's say Jack Cassidy died from drinking.

He was DRUNK when he fell asleep (passed out) with that
cigarette still burning. Cassidy was such an alcoholic that
Shirley Jones divorced him because of it.

Kris

doomella

Jan 27, 2005, 1:24:28 PM1/27/05

"Kris Baker" <kris....@prodigyy.net> wrote in message

But he fell ASLEEP before that cigarette set the house on fire.
Let's just say he died from sleeping.

scri...@aol.com

Jan 27, 2005, 1:43:30 PM1/27/05

Jack woulda never died had he never been born, therefore...

-Scrinine

Greg

Jan 27, 2005, 1:44:18 PM1/27/05

"Betsy" <b.fe...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Yes, Jack Cassidy died in a fire--that he started from falling asleep
> with a burning cigarette in his hand. Started the mattress on fire and
> killed him. So while he did not die from lung or heart disease, his
> cigarette addiction did in fact cause his death.

No, fire caused his death. I'm pretty sure the coroner's report would not
list smoking as the cause of death.

Well then, if one dies while driving to the store to buy cigarettes, then
the cigarette addiction would be responsible for the death?....

If that's the case, what if someone was headed to the store to buy milk?...
bread?...etc.

Or on the way to the gym... did the desire for fitness kill them?

Greg

Neptuna

Jan 27, 2005, 2:39:27 PM1/27/05
> No, fire caused his death. I'm pretty sure the coroner's report would not
> list smoking as the cause of death.
>
> Well then, if one dies while driving to the store to buy cigarettes, then
> the cigarette addiction would be responsible for the death?....
>
> If that's the case, what if someone was headed to the store to buy
> milk?... bread?...etc.
>
> Or on the way to the gym... did the desire for fitness kill them?
>
> Greg

To further, Gracie Allen and Errol Flynn should be listed as celebrities who
died from a life long heroin addiction as well.

dun...@pacbell.net

Jan 27, 2005, 2:53:31 PM1/27/05
Agnes Morehead and John Waynes cancer may be from the fact that they
filmed "The Conqueror" on atomic testing grounds that glowed at night
it was so radioactive.

Rick Seatell

Jan 27, 2005, 3:59:59 PM1/27/05
What you have is a list of people that may or may not have smoked who
are now dead. I would that not even one % of your list could or could
not have died from smoking. But if you are having fun then carry on.

Brooke Mayne

Jan 27, 2005, 3:50:24 PM1/27/05
graham chapman had aids

Aware1

Jan 27, 2005, 7:42:31 PM1/27/05
On 27 Jan 2005 09:49:21 -0800, "mc" <mcsqu...@netzero.net> squeezed
out the following:

Damn, I forgot his name - he was on Perry Mason and made a commercial
about cancer and smoking - very scary for a little kid.

Message has been deleted

maryanne kehoe

Jan 27, 2005, 8:14:02 PM1/27/05
The biker from the Village People died from AIDS-related sarcoma, not
from a smoking-related illness.

The list also left out Audrey Hepburn.

Jeannie-2

Jan 27, 2005, 9:19:06 PM1/27/05
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:39:27 GMT, "Neptuna" <nep...@undersea.net>
wrote:

Gracie Allen did heroin? Never heard that one.

explorer

Jan 27, 2005, 10:00:17 PM1/27/05

"Ran Endish" <ea...@ccc.com> wrote in message

> So you're saying smoking doesn't kill people. Riiiiiiiiiiiighhhhtttt

No. He's just saying that not everyone who has died has had a
smoking-related death.

Mary

Jan 28, 2005, 1:38:10 AM1/28/05

"maryanne kehoe" <atl...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> The biker from the Village People died from AIDS-related sarcoma, not
> from a smoking-related illness.
>
> The list also left out Audrey Hepburn.

Also, if I recall. Jack Benny died of a severe stomach ailment and suffered
with it without having it diagnosed in time.

Witchy Way

Jan 28, 2005, 3:12:40 AM1/28/05
susan hayward died of a brain tumor

Neptuna

Jan 28, 2005, 9:33:39 AM1/28/05
> Gracie Allen did heroin? Never heard that one.

Yep. She was a lifer. I should also add Jerry Garcia to the heroin
addicts and he died of congestive heart failure.

Kathy

Jan 28, 2005, 10:45:44 AM1/28/05
maryanne kehoe wrote:

Audrey Hepburn died of colon cancer, which is not linked to smoking.

Kathy

mc

Jan 28, 2005, 1:14:25 PM1/28/05
What about Janet Leigh? I'm watching an old Columbo and she's smoking
like a chimney. Funnily enough, there's a clip of a Johnny Carson
monologue in the same episode. Those are people that died, died...

Brooke Mayne

Jan 28, 2005, 1:09:14 PM1/28/05
susan hayward had lung cancer that went to her brain like george
harrison

Wull

Jan 28, 2005, 2:37:32 PM1/28/05
She was one of the group that got cancer from
nuclear radiation while making the movie with John
Wayne and Pedro Armendariz.

Wull

explorer

Jan 28, 2005, 6:59:10 PM1/28/05

"Mary" <xxxxosug...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

And Audrey Hepburn's death was likely hastened more by years of starvation
than any tobacco-related causes.

Message has been deleted

Pookie

Jan 29, 2005, 4:40:10 AM1/29/05
I thought John Candy's death was due to obesity.

Also, I wonder who else is on their way besides these, maybe Johnny
Depp (who has always said he wished he had an extra orfice to smoke
from) and Jennifer Aniston (at least used to be a chain smoker). I
wonder how many second hand victims will get emphysema.

explorer

Jan 29, 2005, 4:20:35 PM1/29/05

"Magda" <souri...@hotmail.duh> wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:59:10 -0600, in alt.gossip.celebrities, "explorer"
<ab...@123.net>
> arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

> ... "Mary" <xxxxosug...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> ... news:m5lKd.102953$w62....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> ... >
> ... > "maryanne kehoe" <atl...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> ... > news:2372-41F...@storefull-3251.bay.webtv.net...
> ... > > The biker from the Village People died from AIDS-related sarcoma,
not
> ... > > from a smoking-related illness.
> ... > >
> ... > > The list also left out Audrey Hepburn.
> ... > >
> ... >
> ... > Also, if I recall. Jack Benny died of a severe stomach ailment and
> ... suffered
> ... > with it without having it diagnosed in time.
> ... >
> ... And Audrey Hepburn's death was likely hastened more by years of
starvation
> ... than any tobacco-related causes.
>
> If starvation caused cancer, it would be known.

It doesn't *cause* cancer but it does severely affect one's ability to fight
disease.

Tina

Jan 29, 2005, 10:00:20 PM1/29/05
Pookie wrote

>Also, I wonder who else is on their way besides these, maybe Johnny
>Depp (who has always said he wished he had an extra orfice to smoke
>from) and Jennifer Aniston (at least used to be a chain smoker). I
>wonder how many second hand victims will get emphysema.

George Clooney already has the smoker's voice. He smokes constantly too.

::::::Tina::::::

"I may disagree with what you say but I will defend, to the death, your right
to say it." - Voltaire

busy...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2015, 6:55:16 PM12/14/15
> Glenn Hughes, the biker from the Village People
Plus there has never been a King George VII. People on futile crusades often have to invent stuff...

Alan Smithee

Dec 15, 2015, 4:13:57 PM12/15/15
Smoking, drugs, drinking, AIDS.
The list is endless.

mymustan...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2017, 9:50:18 PM2/12/17
What about Suzanne Pleshette who played on The Birds. She did. Lung cancer from smoking.

ratt...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2018, 11:26:07 PM4/2/18
I understand on certain deaths that you wrote of however the ones of heart failure and heart attacks can be caused by smoking

rocky...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2018, 3:41:53 PM8/23/18
Your list is flawed too. Jackie Gleason and Bing Crosby died of heart attacks because of obsessive smoking. Brian Keith had terminal cancer that's why he committed suicide. And on and on and on your list is just as Flawed the other guys was

biglo...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2019, 10:59:11 PM3/12/19
Don’t think so. Wayne smoked four packs a day

Miloch

Mar 12, 2019, 11:52:05 PM3/12/19
In article <1facf987-9a4a-4c72...@googlegroups.com>,
biglo...@gmail.com says...

>Don=E2=80=99t think so. Wayne smoked four packs a day

The DukeSter was a 5-pack-a-day man (how is that even possible!?...unless you
smoke while sleeping) and had his cancerous left lung removed in the 60s...died
from stomach cancer later on.

https://www.medicalbag.com/home/features/what-killed-em/john-wayne/

*

Message has been deleted

Bonnie Taylor

Jul 10, 2021, 11:19:53 AM7/10/21
On Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 10:19:09 a.m. UTC-5, Neptuna wrote:
> your list is flawed and incorrectly asserts that the listed celebs who ever
> smoked died because of smoking and that is just not true.
> > > Leonard Bernstein--- AIDS
> > Carl Betz-----AIDS
> > Amanda Blake----AIDS
> > John Candy------ heart attack
> > Jack Cassidy------died in a fire
> > Graham Chapman-----liver cancer
> > Bing Crosby---heart attack on a golf course
> > Jackie Gleason--- heart failure
> > Glenn Hughes, the biker from the Village People died of non-respiratory
> > cancer
> > Brian Keith---committed suicide
> > Edward Mulhare----AIDS
> Off the top of my head I dispute these claims and there are several more
> that are speciously concluded just because the deceased smoked. I do not
> smoke but just cannot accept the pat claim that smoking killed all of these
> people.
Carl Betz died from lung cancer, not from AIDS!
Message has been deleted

Ramon Hamm

Sep 19, 2021, 8:37:52 PM9/19/21
On Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 7:59:14 AM UTC-8, doomella wrote:
> "charliekilo" <miles_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > It's also a problem with how the government collects data on smoking
> related
> > deaths. It's my understanding that if a death occurs to an individual, and
> > that individual smoked, whether or not they died from something actually
> > smoking related, it's still counted as a smoking related death.
> I've seen studies like that. My theory is that everybody who dies has one
> thing in common: They drank water. Beware!

Things haven't changed, now if you are asymptomatic with COVID and die in a car wreck, it's listed on C.O.D. as a COVID death.

Ramon Hamm

Sep 19, 2021, 8:39:24 PM9/19/21
On Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 10:43:30 AM UTC-8, scri...@aol.com wrote:
> doomella wrote:
> > "Kris Baker" <kris....@prodigyy.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Bigolhomo" <br...@noparticulardomain.com> wrote in message
> <nep...@undersea.net>

> several
> > > more
> I do
> > > not
> all of
> > > these

> of

> > > Then let's say Jack Cassidy died from drinking.
> > >
> > > He was DRUNK when he fell asleep (passed out) with that
> > > cigarette still burning. Cassidy was such an alcoholic that
> > > Shirley Jones divorced him because of it.
> >

> > But he fell ASLEEP before that cigarette set the house on fire.
> > Let's just say he died from sleeping.
> Jack woulda never died had he never been born, therefore...
> -Scrinine
There ya go! Living killed him!

Ramon Hamm

Sep 19, 2021, 8:41:33 PM9/19/21
On Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 12:50:24 PM UTC-8, Brooke Mayne wrote:
> graham chapman had aids

I found this:
Chapman died of tonsil cancer which spread to his spine in 1989, on the Pythons' 20th anniversary.

Margo Lopes

Jan 27, 2022, 6:11:56 PM1/27/22
On Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 10:19:09 AM UTC-5, Neptuna wrote:
> your list is flawed and incorrectly asserts that the listed celebs who ever
> smoked died because of smoking and that is just not true.
> > > Leonard Bernstein--- AIDS
> > Carl Betz-----AIDS
> > Amanda Blake----AIDS
> > John Candy------ heart attack
> > Jack Cassidy------died in a fire
> > Graham Chapman-----liver cancer
> > Bing Crosby---heart attack on a golf course
> > Jackie Gleason--- heart failure
> > Glenn Hughes, the biker from the Village People died of non-respiratory
> > cancer
> > Brian Keith---committed suicide
> > Edward Mulhare----AIDS
> Off the top of my head I dispute these claims and there are several more
> that are speciously concluded just because the deceased smoked. I do not
> smoke but just cannot accept the pat claim that smoking killed all of these
> people.

1. Carl Betz died of lung cancer
2. Edward Mulhare died of lung cancer after a 5 month battle
3. Leonard Bernstein died of heart failure brought on by mesothelioma and a 20 year battle with emphysema from his mid-50s.
4. Jack Cassidy was a chronic alcoholic who lost consciousness while smoking a cigarette and died in a horrible fire that gutted his LA apartment.
5. Brian Keith checked himself out of the hospital where he as dying of emphysema and went home where he shot himself in the head as his 27 year old daughter had done 2 months earlier. He told medical team that he wanted to die at home but not what he had intended to do.
Unfortunately, whether they died of cancer or heart disease in all cases but Candy, Blake, Hughes all death were attributed to smoking addicted. Keith killed himself because he could not handle the inability to take a breath and felt like he was drowning in mucus. He would have died within a few more days or weeks, anyway. All of these deaths are well documented.

My My

Feb 20, 2022, 2:40:23 PM2/20/22
If Carl Betz died of "AIDS" he sure must've been a sneaky character and the first to die of AIDS! Because the man was married to two different women for over twenty years, and he died in 1978!!!

Shannon Strong

Aug 12, 2022, 6:11:22 AM8/12/22
On Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 8:14:02 PM UTC-5, maryanne kehoe wrote:
> The biker from the Village People died from AIDS-related sarcoma, not
> from a smoking-related illness.
> The list also left out Audrey Hepburn.
No, Glenn died from LUNG CANCER.. Look it up!

Mur Diesel

Dec 13, 2022, 3:05:25 AM12/13/22
On Friday, January 28, 2005 at 2:44:18 AM UTC+8, Greg wrote:
> "Betsy" <b.fe...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Yes, Jack Cassidy died in a fire--that he started from falling asleep
> > with a burning cigarette in his hand. Started the mattress on fire and
> > killed him. So while he did not die from lung or heart disease, his
> > cigarette addiction did in fact cause his death.
> >

> No, fire caused his death. I'm pretty sure the coroner's report would not
> list smoking as the cause of death.
> Well then, if one dies while driving to the store to buy cigarettes, then
> the cigarette addiction would be responsible for the death?....
> If that's the case, what if someone was headed to the store to buy milk?...
> bread?...etc.
> Or on the way to the gym... did the desire for fitness kill them?
> Greg
> Greg you are telling me he was "Not Smoking" when you yourself said "No, fire caused his death" Just saying where there is smoke there is fire!

Billy Wilson

Mar 15, 2023, 5:40:17 AM3/15/23
On Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 10:19:09 AM UTC-5, Neptuna wrote:
> your list is flawed and incorrectly asserts that the listed celebs who ever
> smoked died because of smoking and that is just not true.
> > > Leonard Bernstein--- AIDS
> > Carl Betz-----AIDS
> > Amanda Blake----AIDS
> > John Candy------ heart attack
> > Jack Cassidy------died in a fire
> > Graham Chapman-----liver cancer
> > Bing Crosby---heart attack on a golf course
> > Jackie Gleason--- heart failure
> > Glenn Hughes, the biker from the Village People died of non-respiratory
> > cancer
> > Brian Keith---committed suicide
> > Edward Mulhare----AIDS
> Off the top of my head I dispute these claims and there are several more
> that are speciously concluded just because the deceased smoked. I do not
> smoke but just cannot accept the pat claim that smoking killed all of these
> people.
Your list is also flawed. For example, Amanda Blake was a heavy smoker and had oral cancer several times although I agree, she died from AIDS. Brian Keith had been diagnosed with Lung Cancer when he took his own life. All the people that died of heart attacks were very heavy smokers and smoking and heart disease are well known so I'd say that a heart attack can be attributed to smoking. Overall, I'd say his list is 99% correct.

Chris Tsao

Mar 16, 2023, 8:51:08 PM3/16/23
Cigarette Cancer:

Morton Downey Jr., Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Yul Brenner, John Wayne They said that Michael Landon was a heavy smoker and that his pancreatic cancer might have beeb exasserbated by it.