'Batman' Christian Bale Allegedly Assaults Mother, Sister

All News

Jul 22, 2008, 4:41:31 PM7/22/08

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=5424699&page=1

Is 'Batman' a Bad Man?
Actor Christian Bale Reportedly Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting His
Family

By AMMU KANNAMPILLY
LONDON, July 22, 2008

Batman star Christian Bale was arrested today for allegedly assaulting
his mother and sister, according to reports in the British media.

Scotland Yard declined to confirm the reports, but a spokesman told
ABCNews.com that "a 34-year-old man was arrested in connection with
allegations of assault. He currently remains in custody at a central
London police station."

The Press Association reported that the actor, 34, was questioned by
police at a central London police station. He was reportedly released
from the Belgravia precinct station this afternoon with a 10-man
police escort, in a blacked-out silver Mercedes people carrier.

Bale was allegedly arrested after attacking his mother and sister in
his suite at London's Dorchester Hotel Sunday, according to the
British wire service.

Bale's lawyers released a statement to reporters saying the actor
complied with the investigation.

"Christian Bale attended a London police station today, on a voluntary
basis, in order to assist with an allegation that had been made
against him to the police by his mother and sister," Bale's lawyers
said in the statement. "Mr. Bale, who denies the allegation,
cooperated throughout, gave his account in full of the events in
question, and has left the station without any charge being made
against him by the police. At this time, there will be no further
comment by Mr. Bale."

The Dorchester Hotel's public relations representative, Brett Perkins,
refused to confirm the reports, telling ABCNews.com that "we have a
hotel policy of never commenting on guests, so we cannot confirm these
reports."

Bale was reportedly arrested hours after attending the London premiere
of his film "The Dark Knight," with co-stars Maggie Gyllenhaal, Aaron
Eckhart and Michael Caine.

The UK's Sun newspaper reported that detectives allowed the actor to
attend the premiere, despite the complaint lodged against him.

"It was a very difficult situation but it would have been wrong to
have wrecked the premiere over a complaint, which we don't yet know is
founded in truth," a source told the Sun.

Bale's mother Jenny, 60, and sister Sharon, 41, live in Dorset,
England, and are reported to have made the complaint to a police
station in Hampshire. A spokesman from Hampshire police told
ABCNews.com that "we cannot confirm anything."

A senior executive at Warner Brothers, which produced "The Dark
Knight," told ABC News that this was a personal matter and the studio
would have no comment on it.

For his part, the statement released by Bale's lawyers said that he
left the police station "without any charge being made against him."

Bale's reported arrest is only the most recent in a long string of
controversies surrounding the latest Batman installment.

In January, Bale's co-star, 28-year-old actor Heath Ledger, was found
dead after an accidental drug overdose.

Last September, a special-effects technician was killed during a stunt
car accident on the film's set.

None of this has dented the film's box-office fate: "The Dark Knight"
had a record-setting opening weekend in the United States.

Bale was born in Wales, Great Britain, and spent his childhood in a
variety of countries, including the United States and Portugal. His
father, the late David Bale, married American feminist Gloria Steinem
late in his life.

Bale made his big-screen debut in Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the
Sun" at age 13. Since then, he has acted in several movies, including
"American Psycho," "The Machinist" and "Batman Begins."

Sal Video

Jul 22, 2008, 5:27:49 PM7/22/08
Ever since American Psycho it's been hard to keep from wondering if there's
not a dark side to this guy.

"All News" <AllNe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

2nz

Jul 22, 2008, 5:41:11 PM7/22/08
On Jul 22, 3:27 pm, "Sal Video" <svi...@access.com> wrote:

> Ever since American Psycho it's been hard to keep from wondering if there's
> not a dark side to this guy.

Hey.....he's Batman.

The Unbearable Frightfulness of Linger-ing

Jul 22, 2008, 5:46:33 PM7/22/08

DAMNIT.....I was kind of hoping it was his STEPMOTHER, that rank
FemiNazi that his late father married about six years ago right before
he died, Gloria Steinem.

I am appalled to hear this about Christian, however, if it were Gloria
and not his birth mother, I *might* have to make an exception. Those
FemiWhackJobs can certainly try a man's patience right down to it's
core, unfortunately. Just ask Kenneth E. Linger, Laura Weiss Linger's
husband. He'll tell ya'...

S*Babykins
***************
A new favorite that is indeed amazing,Amazing Grace by Philosophy.
It’s the kind of fragrance where you are lying on an examining table
in the doctor’s office,and the nurse who is drawing your blood
exclaims,
“You smell so good! WHAT IS THAT?”
-----Laura Linger, 7/2008

Bill Anderson

Jul 22, 2008, 6:12:22 PM7/22/08
Sal Video wrote:
> Ever since American Psycho it's been hard to keep from wondering if there's
> not a dark side to this guy.

Well sure -- it's pretty obvious all right.

Just like we knew what would happen to John Belushi when we saw him
boozing it up in "Animal House."

Just like we knew John Wayne would die of cancer after stupidly agreeing
to play that part in "The Shootist." The man should have known better.

Just like we knew what Mel Gibson thought of Jews from the way he
treated Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in "Hamlet." (Yeah, I know, but
the names *sounded* Jewish and that was plenty good enough for Mel.)

I can understand believing in alien abductions, horoscopes and fortune
telling, but *acting?* C'mon, who're they trying to kid? What you see
up there on the screen is exactly who those people are in real life.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Message has been deleted

TBerk

Jul 22, 2008, 6:32:41 PM7/22/08
<snip>

> Bale's mother Jenny, 60, and sister Sharon, 41, live in Dorset,
> England, and are reported to have made the complaint to a police
> station in Hampshire. A spokesman from Hampshire police told
> ABCNews.com that "we cannot confirm anything."
<snip>

> Bale was born in Wales, Great Britain, and spent his childhood in a
> variety of countries, including the United States and Portugal. His
> father, the late David Bale, married American feminist Gloria Steinem
> late in his life.

Wow, I didn't know this about his Dad.

> Bale made his big-screen debut in Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the
> Sun" at age 13.

That was HIM?

> Since then, he has acted in several movies, including
> "American Psycho," "The Machinist" and "Batman Begins."

Look, it sounds like to Meeeee, his Mother and Sister are trying to
leverage something off him and when it doesn't go their way they
called the cops.

My Male Intuition at work, completely based on a gut feeling.

TBerk

Derek Janssen

Jul 22, 2008, 6:37:57 PM7/22/08
TBerk wrote:

>>Bale made his big-screen debut in Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the
>>Sun" at age 13.
>
> That was HIM?

Yep. "Newsies" came later, at 17.

(One "American Psycho" interview had Bale complaining "People still see
my name on the credits and think I'm a 13-yo. British schoolboy playing
with airplanes.")

>>Since then, he has acted in several movies, including
>>"American Psycho," "The Machinist" and "Batman Begins.
>
> Look, it sounds like to Meeeee, his Mother and Sister are trying to
> leverage something off him and when it doesn't go their way they
> called the cops.
>
> My Male Intuition at work, completely based on a gut feeling.

And the "We didn't want to spoil the premiere" comment.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Grant Hurlock

Jul 22, 2008, 7:03:34 PM7/22/08
> father, the late David Bale, married American feminist Gloria Steinem
> late in his life.

[From Wikipedia] "On September 3, 2000, at age 66, she married David Bale,
father of actor Christian Bale. The wedding was performed at the home of her
friend Wilma Mankiller."

Oh, my aching testicles!

Okierazorbacker

Jul 22, 2008, 7:07:03 PM7/22/08
On Jul 22, 3:41 pm, All News <AllNews....@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=5424699&page=1
>
> Is 'Batman' a Bad Man?
> Actor Christian Bale Reportedly Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting His
> Family

Awright, that does it. I'm rating TDK a "1" on IMDb. Right now,
mister.

Alric Knebel

Jul 22, 2008, 7:58:21 PM7/22/08

"Sal Video" <svi...@access.com> wrote in message

> Ever since American Psycho it's been hard to keep from wondering if
> there's not a dark side to this guy.

Oh, for fucking pete's sake. He's an ACTOR. No, there is no more a dark
side to him than there is to anyone else. What? Do you think Anthony
Hopkins eats people?

Alric Knebel
http://www.ironeyefortress.com/C-SPAN_loon.html
http://www.ironeyefortress.com

Message has been deleted

Tom Sutpen

Jul 22, 2008, 8:24:34 PM7/22/08
On Jul 22, 6:12 pm, Bill Anderson <billanderson...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well sure -- it's pretty obvious all right.
>
> Just like we knew what would happen to John Belushi when we saw him
> boozing it up in "Animal House."
>
> Just like we knew John Wayne would die of cancer after stupidly agreeing
> to play that part in "The Shootist."  The man should have known better.
>
> Just like we knew what Mel Gibson thought of Jews from the way he
> treated Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in "Hamlet."  (Yeah, I know, but
> the names *sounded* Jewish and that was plenty good enough for Mel.)
>
> I can understand believing in alien abductions, horoscopes and fortune
> telling, but *acting?*  C'mon, who're they trying to kid?  What you see
> up there on the screen is exactly who those people are in real life.

*****
Hear hear. That's why I maintain to this day that all those stories
about Rock Hudson are nothing but slander. I tell people: What're you
gonna do, believe every piece of malicious gossip in the press?
Remember what Godard said: Cinema is truth, 24 times a second
(sometimes even 25). Watch 'All That Heaven Allows' or 'Pillow Talk'.
That guy was machismo incarnate, I tell you.

Side note: I'll bet there's a meeting at Warner's going on *as we
speak* where executives are determining if Bale's assault bust
represents good publicity, bad publicity, or a cheap maneuvre on his
part to steal the thunder from all that Heath Ledger posthumous Oscar
buzz.

Tom Sutpen

Doctor Wu

Jul 22, 2008, 9:28:05 PM7/22/08
Sal Video wrote:
> Ever since American Psycho it's been hard to keep from wondering if there's
> not a dark side to this guy.

Someone once told me, "everyone has a dark side."

The Shadow

Jul 22, 2008, 10:00:25 PM7/22/08
Alric Knebel wrote:
> "Sal Video" <svi...@access.com> wrote in message
>> Ever since American Psycho it's been hard to keep from wondering if
>> there's not a dark side to this guy.
>
> Oh, for fucking pete's sake. He's an ACTOR. No, there is no more a dark
> side to him than there is to anyone else. What? Do you think Anthony
> Hopkins eats people?

Well...now that you mention it...yeah, sure.

mc

Jul 22, 2008, 10:08:53 PM7/22/08

He is a god, and justice will prevail.

mc

Anim8rFSK

Jul 22, 2008, 11:08:19 PM7/22/08
In article <4-6dnbgOsrXmFBvV...@comcast.com>,
Doctor Wu <pcdr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I had a clever reply, but it was too dark.

--
Star Trek 09:

No Shat, No Show.

Stone me

Jul 22, 2008, 11:47:44 PM7/22/08

"TBerk" <bayar...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Look, it sounds like to Meeeee, his Mother and Sister are trying to
leverage something off him and when it doesn't go their way they
called the cops.

My Male Intuition at work, completely based on a gut feeling.

TBerk

"leverage something off him".
Like a bottle of Scotch?

Stone me.

Message has been deleted

Dave Head

Jul 23, 2008, 8:04:00 AM7/23/08
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:17:39 -0500, "explorer" <No...@ubidnis.com> wrote:

>What is he supposed to have done? A lot of things can be legally considered
>assault without necessarily be bad or harmful. I mean, if your best friend
>gives you a playful punch to the shoulder they have technically committed
>assault though most people would consider it annoying at most.
>
>And he's only 34? Did he do Swing Kids at age 11 or something?

Details coming out. It appears they had a shouting match and he pushed the
mother-in-law.

I knew it was bullshit from the start.

If they were bruised, cut, with broken bones, lying in a hospital, I'd have
believed he attacked them. This is just a couple women that are pissed off
after a shouting match, that's all.

tricks...@yahoo.com

Jul 23, 2008, 11:05:46 AM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 8:04 am, Dave Head <rally...@att.net> wrote:

> Details coming out.  It appears they had a shouting match and he pushed the
> mother-in-law.
>
> I knew it was bullshit from the start.
>
> If they were bruised, cut, with broken bones, lying in a hospital, I'd have
> believed he attacked them.  This is just a couple women that are pissed off
> after a shouting match, that's all.

You mean a couple of broke-ass women. . .

Anim8rFSK

Jul 23, 2008, 11:51:32 AM7/23/08
In article <6b7e84tpsoqnrrhtu...@4ax.com>,
Dave Head <rall...@att.net> wrote:

I'm sort of mystified about the word 'assault' here. Sounds more like
battery. England might use the terms differently of course.

mikes...@peoplepc.com

Jul 23, 2008, 1:53:07 PM7/23/08
I'm positive this current event is negative publicity. He should be
charged with battery and put in a dry cell. Is he wired from listening
to too much AC/DC?

Stone me

Jul 23, 2008, 3:00:02 PM7/23/08

"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

Wiki has a page dealing with the differences.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(crime)
If you are interested, that is.
Not me.

Stone me.

EricV

Jul 23, 2008, 3:30:34 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 2:00 pm, "Stone me" <the...@open.com> wrote:
> "Anim8rFSK" <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote in message

> > In article <6b7e84tpsoqnrrhtu7lc5fqfgluo7lp...@4ax.com>,
> > Dave Head <rally...@att.net> wrote:

> >> Details coming out.  It appears they had a shouting match and he pushed
> >> the
> >> mother-in-law.
>
> >> I knew it was bullshit from the start.
>
> >> If they were bruised, cut, with broken bones, lying in a hospital, I'd
> >> have
> >> believed he attacked them.  This is just a couple women that are pissed
> >> off
> >> after a shouting match, that's all.
>
> > I'm sort of mystified about the word 'assault' here.  Sounds more like
> > battery.  England might use the terms differently of course.
>
> > --
> > Star Trek 09:
>
> > No Shat, No Show.
>
> Wiki has a page dealing with the differences.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(crime)

> If you are interested, that is.
> Not me.
>
> Stone me.

There was a clip on TV yesterday of Bale doing publicity in London
where he said he hadn't been home to Wales in 10 years. A recent
Biography channel profile mentioned that when he went to the U.S. as a
minor his father was the parent that accompanied him. Seems like he
may not enjoy the company of his mother or sisters. That may be many
things but it isn't a crime.

~consul

Jul 23, 2008, 4:35:01 PM7/23/08
and thus Bill Anderson inscribed ...
> Just like we knew what Mel Gibson thought of Jews from the way he
> treated Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in "Hamlet." (Yeah, I know, but
> the names *sounded* Jewish and that was plenty good enough for Mel.)

I heard he had them killed.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."
--till next time, consul -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

~consul

Jul 23, 2008, 4:39:59 PM7/23/08
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:17:39 -0500, "explorer" <No...@ubidnis.com> wrote:
>> And he's only 34? Did he do Swing Kids at age 11 or something?

That's the surprising bit, that I hear reported that he is 34. I'm gonna be 34 this August, I could have thought he was closer to 40. I mean, he doesn't look "old" but just given the roles I've seen him in.

Anim8rFSK

Jul 23, 2008, 5:12:02 PM7/23/08
In article <1dLhk.7326$Vy5....@newsfe08.ams2>,
"Stone me" <the...@open.com> wrote:

Thanks. Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault#Assault_in_England_and_Wales

Same as here: "One of these days, POW! to the moon!" is an assault.
Actually popping her one is a battery.

George Peatty

Jul 23, 2008, 6:43:53 PM7/23/08
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:03:34 -0700, "Grant Hurlock" <jhur...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

> Oh, my aching testicles!

His, too, no doubt ..

RichA

Jul 23, 2008, 7:15:18 PM7/23/08
He could have sustained brain damage when he dropped 70lbs to play
"The Machinist."

Sally Seaweed

Jul 24, 2008, 10:23:31 AM7/24/08

"RichA" <rande...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> He could have sustained brain damage when he dropped 70lbs to play
> "The Machinist."

Rich! Oh, I feel like Meryl Streep on the telephone doing like a, ummm,
dial-tone or something.

Well, anyway. How you been, friend? You want to go over to Pat's house with
me? I hear Carla is about ready to fall through the floor.

You know what? My grandma, rest her soul, is scooting around up in heaven
right this very instant running for President. She has eyebrows, you know,
but don't really need them in heaven.

HEY! Larry needs you. We are the Schizodamnedron in Larry's office.

Lisa is trying to kill Lisa-Lisa, Lisa.
Lisa is trying to kill Lisa-Lisa, Lisa.
Lisa-Lisa is trying to kill Lisa, Lisa.
Lisa-Lisa is trying to kill Lisa, Lisa.

Voices be damned!
Treep, Treep, Traup.

xxxxx xxxxx

Jul 24, 2008, 12:40:59 PM7/24/08
Hey Betcherass; Betcherass he's a fag c/s
in Batman drag! He looks like skull pussy to me!

Richard

Jul 24, 2008, 9:47:02 PM7/24/08

"Sally Seaweed" <wol...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "RichA" <rande...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> He could have sustained brain damage when he dropped 70lbs to play
>> "The Machinist."
>
> Rich! Oh, I feel like Meryl Streep on the telephone doing like a, ummm,
> dial-tone or something.

Is Streep a drag queen too?