Honorary Oscar distributed to Jewish-American actress Lauren Bacall

Taylor

Nov 16, 2009, 9:34:00 AM11/16/09
Page last updated at 10:13 GMT, Monday, 16 November 2009 | BBC News,
SkulduggeryPleasant.org

Honorary Oscar for actress Bacall

Hollywood actress Lauren Bacall received an honorary Oscar at the
weekend in front of stars including Jack Nicolson and Warren Beatty.

Bacall, 85, starred in more than 30 films but never won an Academy
Award.

"I can't believe it - a man at last," Bacall joked as she received the
lifetime achievement statuette.

Saturday's event marked the first time the Academy has presented an
award away from the main ceremony in February. It was not televised.

Bacall paid tribute to her husband and fellow actor Humphrey Bogart,
who died in 1957.

"He gave me a life and he changed my life," she said of the Hollywood
legend.

'Heart of gold'

Angelica Huston presented the Oscar to Bacall - her director father
John Huston worked with both Bacall and Bogart.

George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and Kirk Douglas also took
part in the ceremony.

Douglas said Bacall's tough image belied her real nature.

"She's a pussycat and she has a heart of gold," he said.

The closest Bacall came to winning an Oscar was her nomination for The
Mirror Has Two Faces in 1996.

Producer and director Roger Corman was also given an honorary Oscar.

Corman was behind low-budget B-movies such as The Cry Baby Killer, It
Conquered the World, The Little Shop of Horrors and The Raven.

"He's been a maverick for a lot longer than I have," Quentin Tarantino
told Reuters.

Cinematographer Gordon Willis - who worked on the Godfather trilogy,
All The President's Men and Woody Allen films including Manhattan and
Annie Hall was the third honouree this year, presented to him by Jeff
Bridges.

The Irving G. Thalberg Award, named after a pioneering 1920s and 1930s
producer, went to John Calley - whose producer credits include The
Remains of the Day, Postcards from the Edge, Closer, The Da Vinci Code
and its sequel, Angels & Demons.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46736000/jpg/_46736350_bacall_body.jpg
Bacall was nominated for an Oscar in 1996

The Giant Brain

Nov 16, 2009, 11:34:33 AM11/16/09

"Taylor" <lukeb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Page last updated at 10:13 GMT, Monday, 16 November 2009 | BBC News,
> SkulduggeryPleasant.org
>
> Honorary Oscar for actress Bacall
>
> Hollywood actress Lauren Bacall received an honorary Oscar at the
> weekend in front of stars including Jack Nicolson and Warren Beatty.

I would be hard pressed to think of an actress less deserving of this award.
If she hadn't been married to Bogie, nobody would remember her today.

David Oberman

Nov 16, 2009, 11:43:43 AM11/16/09
Taylor <lukeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Bacall paid tribute to her husband and fellow actor Humphrey Bogart,
>who died in 1957.
>
>"He gave me a life and he changed my life," she said of the Hollywood
>legend.
>
>'Heart of gold'
>

>George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and Kirk Douglas also took
>part in the ceremony.
>
>Douglas said Bacall's tough image belied her real nature.
>
>"She's a pussycat and she has a heart of gold," he said.

Sounds like an evening of cliches.

____
Were everyone an expert, no one would be.

-- C. Rothland

Taylor

Nov 16, 2009, 1:48:03 PM11/16/09
On Nov 16, 11:43 am, David Oberman <dober...@socal.rr.com> wrote:

> Taylor <lukebenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Bacall paid tribute to her husband and fellow actor Humphrey Bogart,
> >who died in 1957.
>
> >"He gave me a life and he changed my life," she said of the Hollywood
> >legend.
>
> >'Heart of gold'
>
> >George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and Kirk Douglas also took
> >part in the ceremony.
>
> >Douglas said Bacall's tough image belied her real nature.
>
> >"She's a pussycat and she has a heart of gold," he said.
>
> Sounds like an evening of cliches.

Very cliche and a reason to scramble to come up w/ hollow reasons on
why she's "worthy" to win an Oscar for no pin-pointed reason.

Halmyre

Nov 16, 2009, 2:19:56 PM11/16/09
In article <f4023f8c-5936-4ea0-826f-dfdc19072dc0
@k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, lukeb...@gmail.com says...

> Page last updated at 10:13 GMT, Monday, 16 November 2009 | BBC News,
> SkulduggeryPleasant.org
>
> Honorary Oscar for actress Bacall

Interestingly enough, the original BBC article does not mention the words
"Jewish-American", so I'm at a loss to understand how they ended up in the
title of this thread, or indeed what their relevance is.

--
Halmyre

This is the most powerful sigfile in the world and will probably blow your
head clean off.

Mark

Nov 16, 2009, 5:35:03 PM11/16/09
On Nov 16, 1:19 pm, Halmyre <no.s...@this.address> wrote:
> In article <f4023f8c-5936-4ea0-826f-dfdc19072dc0
> @k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, lukebenw...@gmail.com says...

> > Page last updated at 10:13 GMT, Monday, 16 November 2009 | BBC News,
> > SkulduggeryPleasant.org
>
> > Honorary Oscar for actress Bacall
>
> Interestingly enough, the original BBC article does not mention the words
> "Jewish-American", so I'm at a loss to understand how they ended up in the
> title of this thread, or indeed what their relevance is.

I'm guessing it's from the original poster who is probably some sort
of anti-Semite wannabe.

And I can think of at least a hundred other actresses less deserving
than Bacall even though she's not one of my favorites by a long shot.
She's a film icon and well remembered by the American public, she's
still alive, and there are not many of that era one can say that
about, alas, anymore.

Mark

Nov 16, 2009, 5:36:02 PM11/16/09

She didn't "win" an Oscar; she received one. Big difference. There is
probably a citation on the award as there are on all Honorary Awards.
Why not look it up and see what they say?

Taylor

Nov 16, 2009, 6:13:49 PM11/16/09
On Nov 16, 5:35 pm, Mark <weiss.sl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 1:19 pm, Halmyre <no.s...@this.address> wrote:
>
> > In article <f4023f8c-5936-4ea0-826f-dfdc19072dc0
> > @k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, lukebenw...@gmail.com says...
>
> > > Page last updated at 10:13 GMT, Monday, 16 November 2009 | BBC News,
> > > SkulduggeryPleasant.org
>
> > > Honorary Oscar for actress Bacall
>
> > Interestingly enough, the original BBC article does not mention the words
> > "Jewish-American", so I'm at a loss to understand how they ended up in the
> > title of this thread, or indeed what their relevance is.
>
> I'm guessing it's from the original poster who is probably some sort
> of anti-Semite wannabe.

*looks at the Star of David gold necklace worn around my neck
practically 24/7 for 9 years now*

Anti-Semite? Try again.