Bill Clinton's birthday bash leads to Hamptons grumbling

Twitchell

Sep 4, 2010, 11:36:00 AM9/4/10
http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/grumping_over_bill_day_mOfmyCWC5PKPuOTMBrWVnI

Bill Clinton's birthday bash at a rented Hamptons mansion ended in drama after a
valuable vase was broken and a neighbor complained about parking.

The party, thrown by wife Hillary and Clinton's longtime aide Doug Band, was
held at a house on Deerfield Road in Water Mill for the ex-president's 64th
birthday.

A source said, "The Clintons know how to party. A large vase in the front
entrance was broken, the front lawn and sprinkler system were shredded, and a
neighbor complained. The house was rented by Band from women's golf-wear
designer Toby Tucker Peters, who was told it would be a small party, but it
ended up being over 100 people."

Guests at the late-August bash included Paul McCartney, Jimmy Buffett, Pete
Peterson, Matt Lauer, Lloyd Blankfein, Christie Brinkley, Katie Couric, Barbara
Walters and Vera Wang, who designed Chelsea's wedding dress.

But a Clinton source said, "It wasn't a wild party. It rained heavily, so
everyone was confined inside the house. The sprinkler system was not broken and
the lawn wasn't in great shape in the first place. If a vase was broken, it will
be replaced. One neighbor did come across before the party to complain about a
car on his driveway, but it was the housekeeper's car."

Neighbor Daniel Beller, a partner at the law firm Paul, Weiss, told us, "I was a
classmate of Hillary's in law school. I like and respected her then as I do even
more so now . . . During the day I asked the valet service and the hosts to be
mindful of where the cars were parked and to avoid parking cars on the grass
leading to my house.

They said they would do so, and they were good to their word. I wish President
Clinton many happy returns of the day and both Clintons a mazel tov upon
Chelsea's marriage."

The Clintons rented a separate house near the beach in Bridgehampton. A rep for
Clinton and house owner Peters, a former editor at InStyle, both declined to
comment.