Immigration Reform, Democratic Style

Abel

Apr 5, 2010, 5:26:29 PM4/5/10
According to the census, the demographics, and all the economic
statistics, it shows that the only companies who are creating any jobs
in this country are the small businesses and the young businesses, you
know, the companies that have only recently come into existence within
the last 5 years or so. As it turns out, all the big companies, the
well established ones, they are not creating any jobs, if anything,
they are shedding jobs, by automation and outsourcing and the like.

All the economists agree that we need to do a much better job of
investing in and improve our school system if we want to get all those
smart, risk taking entrepreneurs that create all those new jobs.
Obama is on the right track, he has increased spending on education,
and he has made it easier for college students to borrow money. That
will get us the people we need to pick this economy up, job wise.
There's also another, much easier way to get all those smart, risk
taking etrepreneurs to pick up our economy, job wise. And that would
be thru immigration reform. At least one-fourth of all the new
successful high tech companies over the last 10 years have been
started by immigrants. Google itself was founded by Sergey Brin, a
Russian born immigrant. Yahoo was founded by Jerry Yang, a Taiwanese
born immigrant. Sun Microsystems was founded by Vinod Khosla, an
Indian born immigrant.

Immigrants are what built our country, so we should have more of it.
Legal immigrants don't cause any problems, it's the illegal ones who
do. Legal immigrants are usually the cream of the crop, the best and
the brightest from their countries. They come to this country for a
better way of life. Albert Einstein was an immigrant, from Germany,
fleeing prosecution, he came here and helped us produce the atom
bomb. Imagine how history would have changed if we were more
Xenophobic and refused him entry to our great land?

What America desperately needs today, is a return to more of the same
good old fashioned politics of Liberalism which have made us such a
great country. Republican attacks on public education and all their
financial cutbacks against colleges and with their anti-immigration
and their anti-government rhetoric and with their restrictions on our
freedoms and all that, their policies over the years have done an
incalculable amount of damage to our economy and our country.

In America, right now, we have millions of foreign students and
foreign engineers and foreign scientists and millions of other highly
skilled foreign workers here on H-1B temporary visas, it's temporary,
so they will have to return home when their visas expire. This is a
very bad policy. Their visas should be made permanent. Smart people
like that, we need them, so they should be given an instant
citizenship. And Economist put it very succinctly when he said, “We
ought to have a 'job-creators visa' for people already here, and once
you’ve hired 10 American nonfamily members, you should get a green
card.”

This is what we need, immigration reform, with an eye for the brainy
immigrants who have proven themselves to be so useful to our nation,
over and over again. We need a return to good old fashioned
Liberalism. It's a new age, with the Democrats in charge, we need to
assert our good politics and discard the old harmful Republican
inspired Xenophobia and do away with their ugly anti-government
rhetoric. Yes we CAN turn the country around. But first we will have
to vote all those close minded, ignorant Republican obstructionists
out of office.

Abel Malcolm

http://www.moveon.org