Cataclysm beta removes portals from Dalaran and Shattrath

nuts

Sep 27, 2010, 6:15:10 AM9/27/10
from http://wow.joystiq.com/

The latest Cataclysm beta patch has removed the portals from both
Dalaran and Shattrath. In place of the portals in Dalaran are new class
trainers. The Caverns of Time portal is still in place.

This is not a terribly surprising move. With the Cataclysm expansion
focusing on the old word, the Blizzard developers no doubt want the old
Azeroth to feel lived in. As long as Dalaran (or Shattrath) has
convenient portals to every old world destination, players would
continue to set their hearthstones there for ease of transportation.

Transportation around the old world is not as limited as it was back in
vanilla days however. Some of the new zones like Deepholm have portals
back to Stormwind and Orgrimmar, and those capitol cities themselves
have portals to Deepholm, and others that are not yet active. We've also
seen signs of new portals being constructed in the Twilight Highlands.

IYM

Sep 27, 2010, 8:07:45 AM9/27/10

hmmm - interesting... Besides the ports, the upper level professions
and things are in Dal. I assume they are going to spread things around
a bit, or my mage will be getting a ton of business! lol. I don't get
hardly any requests anymore except from people leveling their alts or
the few who don't feel like waiting for their hearth cooldown. I won't
mind the population reduction in Dal, and they might actually open it up
to flying if it drops and people are spread out. I hope it also doesn't
turn into another Shattrath ghost town.

BTW, It'd be nice if they would revitalize Shattrath. An AH there would
be nice. Add a upper 80 something raid nearby to get people over there
again...

Urbin

Sep 27, 2010, 8:51:58 AM9/27/10
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:15:10 +0200, nuts wrote:
> from http://wow.joystiq.com/
>
> The latest Cataclysm beta patch has removed the portals from both
> Dalaran and Shattrath.

Ouch. But I guess I can see why they did that.

With portals in place as today, everybody (including most levelling chars)
will have their hearth stone at Dalaran for quick access to the rest of the
world. This means less population in the old capitals (though I have the
impression that IF and SW are more populated nowadays compared to BC) and of
course with the revamp of the old world, they want people to move back
there.

On the down side, I fear Dalaran is going to be a ghost town alike Shattrath
today, empty except for players levelling through northrend...

> In place of the portals in Dalaran are new class
> trainers.

So levelling characters can at least get training in Dalaran but will still
be pretty much screwed if they need access to the AH.

> This is not a terribly surprising move. With the Cataclysm expansion
> focusing on the old word, the Blizzard developers no doubt want the old
> Azeroth to feel lived in.

Well, it won't make much difference except to the capital cities.

> As long as Dalaran (or Shattrath) has convenient portals to every old
> world destination, players would continue to set their hearthstones there
> for ease of transportation.

True. But I don't see how it will make a lot of difference to the zones in
Azeroth, whether people will mill around in IF/SW/DN/EX instead of Dalaran
except for the capitol cities...

> Transportation around the old world is not as limited as it was back in
> vanilla days however. Some of the new zones like Deepholm have portals
> back to Stormwind and Orgrimmar, and those capitol cities themselves
> have portals to Deepholm, and others that are not yet active. We've also
> seen signs of new portals being constructed in the Twilight Highlands.

So it will be a pain again but not quite so much of a pain?

ps. of course all my comments are true for horde as well

Cheers
Urbin
--
Dun Morogh-EU (PvE)
Urbin (80), Hunter | Surana (70), Mage | Juran (65), Druid

Raymond E. Feist

Sep 27, 2010, 10:05:37 AM9/27/10
In article <i7pqrf$ehm$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
nuts <nusp...@re.net> wrote:

From my pov, this sucks. Part of the tedium of the game is travel, and
to me it's simple: more travel = bad; less travel = good.

Best,R.E.F.

Catriona R

Sep 27, 2010, 10:11:09 AM9/27/10

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:07:45 -0400, IYM <"S U N risr"@optonline.net>
wrote:

>hmmm - interesting... Besides the ports, the upper level professions
>and things are in Dal. I assume they are going to spread things around
>a bit, or my mage will be getting a ton of business! lol.

Professions can be trained to max in all the regular towns on beta, my
troll druid is up to grand master skinning without having set foot in
Northrend, and got master before reaching Outland too, just trained it
all in Orgrimmar or Thunder Bluff.
--
EU-Draenor:
Sagart (80 Undead Priest)

Catriona R

Sep 27, 2010, 10:15:01 AM9/27/10

On 27 Sep 2010 12:51:58 GMT, Urbin <ur...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:15:10 +0200, nuts wrote:
>> from http://wow.joystiq.com/
>>

>> In place of the portals in Dalaran are new class
>> trainers.
>
>So levelling characters can at least get training in Dalaran but will still
>be pretty much screwed if they need access to the AH.

Outland is even worse tbh, at least for Horde... fly to the far edge
of the continent, go through portal, ride to Stonard, then either fly
to Grom'Gol, wait for zep, take that to org, or, sit on flight for
10-12+ mins to UC :-/ Very jealous of Alliance for Stormwind's
positioning!

>> As long as Dalaran (or Shattrath) has convenient portals to every old
>> world destination, players would continue to set their hearthstones there
>> for ease of transportation.
>
>True. But I don't see how it will make a lot of difference to the zones in
>Azeroth, whether people will mill around in IF/SW/DN/EX instead of Dalaran
>except for the capitol cities...

In fact what it really means is that people will exclusively hang out
in SW/IF, and Org on Horde side, instead of spreading around all the
capital cities, since UC/Silvermoon and Darn/Exodar are so far away
from everything, that with no quick portalling system in place, nobody
will ever go there. Which is a shame, I like hanging out in the
quieter towns on some of my alts!

Rob Wynne

Sep 27, 2010, 11:39:53 AM9/27/10
Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
> In fact what it really means is that people will exclusively hang out
> in SW/IF, and Org on Horde side, instead of spreading around all the
> capital cities, since UC/Silvermoon and Darn/Exodar are so far away
> from everything, that with no quick portalling system in place, nobody
> will ever go there. Which is a shame, I like hanging out in the
> quieter towns on some of my alts!

I wonder if they'll *finally* connect the Azuremyst flight point to the
rest of the continent?

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

IYM

Sep 27, 2010, 1:47:04 PM9/27/10

To me, it's similar more to what they did at the beginning of WoLK,
right? They purposely did not let you take your mounts from Outlands to
Northrend and allow you to fly, as they wanted you not to be able to
bypass things they feel were important. They only introduced the
account bound tome for level 68 alts not too long ago for those with an
80. I guess they want you to experience everything they spent so many
damn man hours working on, not blow through it as fast as you can....at
least not right away. And don't forget that you'll be able to fly in
the old kingdom so it might not be so bad... I'm sure if enough people
bitch about it a while after the release, they'll fix it and come up
with something. I personally don't want them to mess with my character
talent tree as I got everything right the way I like it. I really don't
want to re-learn to play my characters, but I don't have much say in
that other than to give it a try, so I guess we have to give the
traveling thing a try...

Slightly OT: I have no problem with the portal change as my main is my
mage! lol Before the LFG tool, it was nice being able to provide ports
from the end of a dungeon for players. I still get to do that for
raids, and everyone is usually thankful for it. But I'm thinking ahead
to cataclysm, if that change makes it off beta, and almost fretting
getting inundated with whispers for ports when I get into a city. Even
now, if I'm standing in the AH or something and someone asks for a port
they sometimes get pissed when I tell them no, I can't. I don't think
people realize that I'm not going to give up 18 out of 20 minutes in the
LFG tool for my random to make 10g from you...sorry...not happening. If
it is crazy though, I might have to make use of the "do not disturb"
feature when going into a city, unless I want to set up shop to make
gold for a half hour.

Urbin

Sep 27, 2010, 3:13:52 PM9/27/10
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:47:04 -0400, IYM wrote:
> Raymond E. Feist wrote:
> > In article <i7pqrf$ehm$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > nuts <nusp...@re.net> wrote:
> >
> >> from http://wow.joystiq.com/
> >>
> >> The latest Cataclysm beta patch has removed the portals from both
> >> Dalaran and Shattrath. In place of the portals in Dalaran are new class
> >> trainers. The Caverns of Time portal is still in place.
> >>
> >> This is not a terribly surprising move. With the Cataclysm expansion
> >> focusing on the old word, the Blizzard developers no doubt want the old
> >> Azeroth to feel lived in. As long as Dalaran (or Shattrath) has
> >> convenient portals to every old world destination, players would
> >> continue to set their hearthstones there for ease of transportation.
> >>
> >> Transportation around the old world is not as limited as it was back in
> >> vanilla days however. Some of the new zones like Deepholm have portals
> >> back to Stormwind and Orgrimmar, and those capitol cities themselves
> >> have portals to Deepholm, and others that are not yet active. We've also
> >> seen signs of new portals being constructed in the Twilight Highlands.
> >
> > From my pov, this sucks. Part of the tedium of the game is travel, and
> > to me it's simple: more travel = bad; less travel = good.
>
> To me, it's similar more to what they did at the beginning of WoLK,
> right?

I disagree.

> They purposely did not let you take your mounts from Outlands to
> Northrend and allow you to fly, as they wanted you not to be able to
> bypass things they feel were important.

And I whole heartedly supported that decision.

> I guess they want you to experience everything they spent so many damn
> man hours working on, not blow through it as fast as you can....

But then they need to disable flying in the old world until you hit 85, not
get rid of the portals. What difference does it make if I hearth in Dalaran,
hearth to IF and then travel to my questing area (as it is now) compared to
my hearthing in IF and then travelling to my questing area?

The only difference is that with my hearth in Dalaran I can exchange IF for
SW/DN/EX and with these changes it would mean taking the
tram/tram+boat/tram+boat+boat. Not really much more I see this way but it
costs me more time.

> And don't forget that you'll be able to fly in the old kingdom so it
> might not be so bad...

It might not. But on the other hand, I'll still need to catch a boat to
change continents...

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rob Wynne

Sep 27, 2010, 3:37:12 PM9/27/10
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <i7qds9$con$1...@news.america.net>
> Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:
>> Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In fact what it really means is that people will exclusively hang out
>>> in SW/IF, and Org on Horde side, instead of spreading around all the
>>> capital cities, since UC/Silvermoon and Darn/Exodar are so far away
>>> from everything, that with no quick portalling system in place, nobody
>>> will ever go there. Which is a shame, I like hanging out in the
>>> quieter towns on some of my alts!
>
>> I wonder if they'll *finally* connect the Azuremyst flight point to the
>> rest of the continent?
>
> er... didn't they do that quite a while ago? (in Beta)

I don't know. I'm not playing the Beta, and I haven't heard anyone mention
it. If so, then hurrah!

Catriona R

Sep 27, 2010, 4:22:58 PM9/27/10

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:37:12 +0000 (UTC), Rob Wynne <d...@america.net>
wrote:

>Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>> In message <i7qds9$con$1...@news.america.net>
>> Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if they'll *finally* connect the Azuremyst flight point to the
>>> rest of the continent?
>>
>> er... didn't they do that quite a while ago? (in Beta)
>>

>I don't know. I'm not playing the Beta, and I haven't heard anyone mention
>it. If so, then hurrah!

As far as I'm aware, it's not connected, at least people are sill
complaining on the forums that it isn't. Seems daft to me, since they
connected Silvermoon up to the rest of the world when ZA came in.

Catriona R

Sep 27, 2010, 10:27:48 PM9/27/10

From
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/26859191406/disappointed-about-the-dalaran-portal-change/

"The reason the portals from Shattrath were not removed from Outland
when Wrath of the Lich King released is that there was a new central
hub with portals to all major cities in Northrend. There is no longer
a neutral city hub which both factions will be using in Cataclysm. We
want to ensure visiting the major faction capitals is still the most
attractive thing to do in Cataclysm, rather than having people use
Shattrath and Dalaran as easy connector hubs.

To make up for this, we'd like to add class trainers and Auctioneers
in Shattrath and Dalaran for those leveling through The Burning
Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King content. "

Well, if they're adding auctioneers it suddenly seems a lot less bad.
Still a nuisance if you want to do a holiday event or get around for
professions (gathering, archaeology etc), but it was the thought of
having to drag myself all the way from somewhere deep in Outland, to
the ark Portal, to Stonard, and then to either UC (loooong flight!) or
Grom'Gol, wait for zep and finally to Org, just to empty my bags out
or buy some new stuff, that was really bothering me.

Still think the lesser used towns could use portals to the major ones
though, places like Exodar and Silvermoon will see zero traffic unless
they have some direct link with the other towns.

Urbin

Sep 28, 2010, 5:08:16 AM9/28/10
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 03:27:48 +0100, Catriona R wrote:
> From
> http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/26859191406/disappointed-about-the-dalaran-portal-change/
>
> "The reason the portals from Shattrath were not removed from Outland
> when Wrath of the Lich King released is that there was a new central
> hub with portals to all major cities in Northrend. There is no longer
> a neutral city hub which both factions will be using in Cataclysm.

Well, it would most likely have been Dalaran, I guess :)

> We want to ensure visiting the major faction capitals is still the most
> attractive thing to do in Cataclysm, rather than having people use
> Shattrath and Dalaran as easy connector hubs.

In a way I can understand that.

> To make up for this, we'd like to add class trainers and Auctioneers
> in Shattrath and Dalaran for those leveling through The Burning
> Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King content. "
>

> Well, if they're adding auctioneers it suddenly seems a lot less bad.

I totally agree. At least now you can level through the old expansions and
still visit the AH.

> it was the thought of having to drag myself all the way from somewhere
> deep in Outland, to the ark Portal, to Stonard, and then to either UC
> (loooong flight!) or Grom'Gol, wait for zep and finally to Org, just to
> empty my bags out or buy some new stuff, that was really bothering me.

Set hearth in Org, use hearth to go back and the portal to the dark portal
to go back (they didn't mention removing those, did they).

Not needed anymore, but might have been faster.

> Still think the lesser used towns could use portals to the major ones
> though, places like Exodar and Silvermoon will see zero traffic unless
> they have some direct link with the other towns.

Yupp. Similar to the SW-IF tram and UC-SM teleport. Add portals between
IF-DN, IF-EX, DN-EX, SW-DN, SW-EX (and corresponding ones for hored).

That would be really cool!

Catriona R

Sep 28, 2010, 7:15:37 AM9/28/10

On 28 Sep 2010 09:08:16 GMT, Urbin <ur...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 03:27:48 +0100, Catriona R wrote:
>> To make up for this, we'd like to add class trainers and Auctioneers
>> in Shattrath and Dalaran for those leveling through The Burning
>> Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King content. "
>>

>> Well, if they're adding auctioneers it suddenly seems a lot less bad.
>
>I totally agree. At least now you can level through the old expansions and
>still visit the AH.

Yeah, much better like that, it's still not ideal but much improved so
fair enough!

>> it was the thought of having to drag myself all the way from somewhere
>> deep in Outland, to the ark Portal, to Stonard, and then to either UC
>> (loooong flight!) or Grom'Gol, wait for zep and finally to Org, just to
>> empty my bags out or buy some new stuff, that was really bothering me.
>
>Set hearth in Org, use hearth to go back and the portal to the dark portal
>to go back (they didn't mention removing those, did they).
>
>Not needed anymore, but might have been faster.

Yeah true but still a pain, if you're questing in something like
Nagrand or Blades Edge, to have to get there via the dark portal each
time. Actually I also discovered on reading a forum thread that the
portals the soldiers at the dark portal come through are still
functional so ok, there's a portal to Orgrimmar from there anyway,
something I'd not realised! Hearth in Shatt and use that AH, then Dark
Portal Org portal if I want to go there then. (Ok my druid would have
a shortcut anyway, since I can use Moonglade port, but I'll likely lvl
other alts too)

>> Still think the lesser used towns could use portals to the major ones
>> though, places like Exodar and Silvermoon will see zero traffic unless
>> they have some direct link with the other towns.
>
>Yupp. Similar to the SW-IF tram and UC-SM teleport. Add portals between
>IF-DN, IF-EX, DN-EX, SW-DN, SW-EX (and corresponding ones for hored).
>
>That would be really cool!

Yeah that'd be great! I'm going to miss keeping some of my characters
in Exodar/Silvermoon if there's no easy way out of those cities; I
love them for being nice and peaceful, and great looking, but seems
like as thing are at present, SW and Org are the only real options.
And I hate the new Orgrimmar layout, really hate it - suppose it'll be
ok on a character with flying but on a lowbie it is so much of a pain
to get in or out of the town.

Message has been deleted

Urbin

Sep 28, 2010, 10:59:14 AM9/28/10
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:15:37 +0100, Catriona R wrote:
> Actually I also discovered on reading a forum thread that the
> portals the soldiers at the dark portal come through are still
> functional so ok, there's a portal to Orgrimmar from there anyway,
> something I'd not realised!

Wait a minute! Are you saying there is a portal near the Dark Portal that
leads *back* to Org? Where is it? On the HFP side or the blasted lands side?
And is there an alliance version?

That would be an amazing thing to have missed in all this time....

> >> Still think the lesser used towns could use portals to the major ones
> >> though, places like Exodar and Silvermoon will see zero traffic unless
> >> they have some direct link with the other towns.
> >
> >Yupp. Similar to the SW-IF tram and UC-SM teleport. Add portals between
> >IF-DN, IF-EX, DN-EX, SW-DN, SW-EX (and corresponding ones for hored).
> >
> >That would be really cool!
>
> Yeah that'd be great! I'm going to miss keeping some of my characters
> in Exodar/Silvermoon if there's no easy way out of those cities; I
> love them for being nice and peaceful, and great looking, but seems
> like as thing are at present, SW and Org are the only real options.

IF is pretty cool, too. It is a short flight to Menethil (access to norhtern
Kalimdor and eastern Northrend), a quick tram ride to SW (or a taxi flight)
and it is the door to the northern part of the eastern kingdoms. Plus I
prefer its layout to SW (though I have seen neither the new SW nor the new
IF).

IYM

Sep 28, 2010, 11:25:02 AM9/28/10
Urbin wrote:

> IF is pretty cool, too. It is a short flight to Menethil (access to norhtern
> Kalimdor and eastern Northrend), a quick tram ride to SW (or a taxi flight)
> and it is the door to the northern part of the eastern kingdoms. Plus I
> prefer its layout to SW (though I have seen neither the new SW nor the new
> IF).
>
> Cheers
> Urbin

I agree to all the above as well - IF is my "base of operations" (if you
want to call it that) as well. I don't have a personal bank toon, as my
mage is very "port"able. <ba-dum,dum *crash*> :) I had used SW for the
longest time, but I realized with the run from the Mage tower, to the
mailbox, into the bank, and to the AH - it's a bunch quicker in IF. In
IF, you get out and are able to mount up quicker (vs running out the
tower, down the ramp, before jumping off and taking a health hit), the
distance from the port in to the bank and AH is shorter and more direct,
the bank is not as deep to get to the tellers (and no ropes to jump and
go around), and the AH and bank are a straight shot back and forth, no
corners to turn.

Message has been deleted

Catriona R

Sep 28, 2010, 1:21:22 PM9/28/10

On 28 Sep 2010 14:59:14 GMT, Urbin <ur...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:15:37 +0100, Catriona R wrote:
>> Actually I also discovered on reading a forum thread that the
>> portals the soldiers at the dark portal come through are still
>> functional so ok, there's a portal to Orgrimmar from there anyway,
>> something I'd not realised!
>
>Wait a minute! Are you saying there is a portal near the Dark Portal that
>leads *back* to Org? Where is it? On the HFP side or the blasted lands side?
>And is there an alliance version?
>
>That would be an amazing thing to have missed in all this time....

On the HFP side, it's been mentioned here before but I frgot it - you
know the soldiers arriving at the battle/ They come out of portals,
which apparently lead back to either Org or SW, depending on your
faction.

>> >Yupp. Similar to the SW-IF tram and UC-SM teleport. Add portals between
>> >IF-DN, IF-EX, DN-EX, SW-DN, SW-EX (and corresponding ones for hored).
>> >
>> >That would be really cool!
>>
>> Yeah that'd be great! I'm going to miss keeping some of my characters
>> in Exodar/Silvermoon if there's no easy way out of those cities; I
>> love them for being nice and peaceful, and great looking, but seems
>> like as thing are at present, SW and Org are the only real options.
>
>IF is pretty cool, too. It is a short flight to Menethil (access to norhtern
>Kalimdor and eastern Northrend), a quick tram ride to SW (or a taxi flight)
>and it is the door to the northern part of the eastern kingdoms. Plus I
>prefer its layout to SW (though I have seen neither the new SW nor the new
>IF).

Oh yes, I prefer IF to SW, but there's gonna be no choice in
Cataclysm, everything is in SW, end of story :-( Dailies, portals to
the new high lvl zones, everything, so unless you prefer to add a
chunk of travel time on going from IF to SW every time you play,
you'll be based in SW. Seems daft to me, should let people choose
their city, not all be forced into one (could've sworn that was the
point of the AH in every city thing, since IF was a massive lagfest
before they did that and gave us all a choice...)

John Gordon

Sep 28, 2010, 1:25:45 PM9/28/10

> >Wait a minute! Are you saying there is a portal near the Dark Portal that
> >leads *back* to Org? Where is it? On the HFP side or the blasted lands side?
> >And is there an alliance version?
> >
> >That would be an amazing thing to have missed in all this time....

> On the HFP side, it's been mentioned here before but I frgot it - you
> know the soldiers arriving at the battle/ They come out of portals,
> which apparently lead back to either Org or SW, depending on your
> faction.

There are things on the HFP side of the Dark Portal that *look* like
Orgrimmar/Stormwind ports, but as far as I know they are just window
dressing; they're not clickable.

gor...@panix.com B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

Catriona R

Sep 28, 2010, 1:27:08 PM9/28/10

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:25:45 +0000 (UTC), John Gordon
<gor...@panix.com> wrote:

>In <8gemgc...@mid.individual.net> Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> writes:
>
>> >Wait a minute! Are you saying there is a portal near the Dark Portal that
>> >leads *back* to Org? Where is it? On the HFP side or the blasted lands side?
>> >And is there an alliance version?
>> >
>> >That would be an amazing thing to have missed in all this time....
>
>> On the HFP side, it's been mentioned here before but I frgot it - you
>> know the soldiers arriving at the battle/ They come out of portals,
>> which apparently lead back to either Org or SW, depending on your
>> faction.
>
>There are things on the HFP side of the Dark Portal that *look* like
>Orgrimmar/Stormwind ports, but as far as I know they are just window
>dressing; they're not clickable.

Hmm ok, people were saying they worked, guess I'll have to try it out
myself.

Catriona R

Sep 29, 2010, 2:15:07 AM9/29/10

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:27:08 +0100, Catriona R
<catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:25:45 +0000 (UTC), John Gordon
><gor...@panix.com> wrote:

>>> On the HFP side, it's been mentioned here before but I frgot it - you
>>> know the soldiers arriving at the battle/ They come out of portals,
>>> which apparently lead back to either Org or SW, depending on your
>>> faction.
>>
>>There are things on the HFP side of the Dark Portal that *look* like
>>Orgrimmar/Stormwind ports, but as far as I know they are just window
>>dressing; they're not clickable.
>
>Hmm ok, people were saying they worked, guess I'll have to try it out
>myself.

Tested and it does indeed work, well that's gonna make life much
easier! Ok, remove my complaint about insane journey times from
Outland to any Horde cities, it's good enough with that portal in
place, I can live with just flying out to the Dark Portal!

Miikka

Sep 29, 2010, 5:37:43 AM9/29/10
Urbin <ur...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> So levelling characters can at least get training in Dalaran but will still
> be pretty much screwed if they need access to the AH.

I think a blue poster mentioned that they will add auction houses to Dalaran
and Shattrath too, so they'll work as a decent leveling hubs when you're in
Outlands or Northrend.

--
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on
society." -Mark Twain

Urbin

Sep 29, 2010, 5:43:00 AM9/29/10

Cool, though in the case of SW, it wasn't too bad with the flight from
nethergarde keep. Still, nice to know.

Cheers
Urbin

--
Dun Morogh-EU (PvE)
Urbin (80), Hunter | Surana (70), Mage | Juran (65), Druid

Mymule (80), Warlock | Kordosch (74), Deathknight | Taalas (73), Shaman

Miikka

Sep 29, 2010, 5:43:52 AM9/29/10
Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
> Well, if they're adding auctioneers it suddenly seems a lot less bad.
> Still a nuisance if you want to do a holiday event or get around for
> professions (gathering, archaeology etc), but it was the thought of
> having to drag myself all the way from somewhere deep in Outland, to
> the ark Portal, to Stonard, and then to either UC (loooong flight!) or
> Grom'Gol, wait for zep and finally to Org, just to empty my bags out
> or buy some new stuff, that was really bothering me.

Actually now that I think about it, I guess Dalaran and Shattrath might
see quite a bit of banker activity with the addition of Auction Houses.
Since the big difference compared to faction cities is that they are
sanctuary zones and you cannot kill the AH NPCs there and that way
disturb the other bankers.

Cryptoengineer

Sep 30, 2010, 3:21:12 PM9/30/10
Urbin <ur...@invalid.invalid> wrote in

There's an addon that would help a lot; I don't think it exists, but would
be happy to be corrected: Autopilot

Autopilot would let you fly in a straight line, directly to your
destination, and give an audible notification when you got there. At the
start, it would give you an indication of how long it would take.

It would have to know where you are, and the speed and altitude of your
flying mount. At the start you'd say (for example)

/autop BootyBay

and it would put up screen indications to show you how far to rise, what
direction to point, and whether you were level or not. Once that was done,
you'd start flying, and hit NumLock to keep going. It would put up a
countdown of time-to-target, and ding when you got close.

I don't think this breaks any AUPs - you are doing all the moving yourself,
and its just telling where to go, and when you're close.

Epic flying mounts travel at the same speed as taxis, but since you can go
in a straight line between arbitrary points, work out a lot faster. My 310%
+ Crusader Aura leaves everything else in the dust.

pt

Message has been deleted