(SFA2) Complete B3 Statistics (long!)

Tony Cannon

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

Someone brought up the point that a few people might be interested
in knowing the statistics from B3 (who played whom, etc.) So I
decided to take some time to make them available in .txt format.
Below is the complete B3 (from eggs to apples, as they say).
I hope someone gets some use out of this.

Cheers,

Tony Cannon
can...@cs.stanford.edu
SSF2 Code V2.0 - D S v s++ t+(++vs.%ARK) ^tm++:-- $B3++ n+++:--(+++) o

I'm taking these notes as I transcribe the B3 stats from Excel to
text format (to facilitate posting, searching, cross-platform viewing,
etc). Everything should be correct except for that which I mis-typed
when transcribing this from my laptop. Please excuse all errors.

NOTICE - This post has been run through my de-tabizer. You will
find no tabs in this report (yay!)

Participants -
Were shirts really $17 a piece? Ouch! Sorry about that. We really
didn't make any money on the shirts. We'll get cheaper ones for B4 =).
Without further ado, here are the people who competed in B3 (in the
order in which they signed up). We listed people by name, their home
city, and which region that home city theoretically placed them in.

Signup Name Home City Theoretical Region
1 Matt Hoppa San Jose, CA North California
2 Tom Cannon Palo Alto, CA North California
3 Matt Taylor Sunnyvale, CA Unified (Capcom)
4 Peter Wong Vancover, Canada Canada
5 Jeffery Hsu Vancover, Canada Canada
6 David Chen Vancover, Canada Canada
7 Melvin DelGado Sunnyvale, CA North California
8 Jason McGlone Las Vegas, Nevada Southern California
9 Shon Damron San Diego. CA Canada
10 Bob Painter San Diego, CA Canada
11 Adam McMahon San Diego, CA Canada
12 Firas Kuwait Unified
13 Marwan Kuwait Unified
14 Bashar Kuwait Unified
15 James Romedy San Diego, CA Southern California
16 James Chen Los Angeles, CA Southern California
17 David Sirlin Sacramento, CA North California
18 Dominque Romriaz Sacramento, CA North California
19 Alex Wittenberg Davis, CA Canada
20 Henry Lee Davis, CA Canada
21 Eric Koda San Diego, CA Canada
22 John Choi Davis, CA North California
23 David Dial Vallejo, CA Unified
24 Tony Nguyn Santa Clara, CA Unified
25 Sam Villanueva San Ramon, Ca North California
26 Henry Lee San Jose, CA North California
27 Graham Wolfe San Jose, CA North California
28 John Nishinaga Los Angeles, CA Southern California
29 Ming San Jose, CA North California
30 Richard Koven Los Angeles, CA Southern California
31 Tim Otholt San Fransisco, CA North California
32 Justin Ratcliff Cupertino, CA North California
33 Calvin Mak Danville, CA North California
34 Chris Tang Sunnyvale, CA North California
35 Cameron Ayers Sacramento, CA North California
36 Rob Cabral Sacramento, CA North California
37 Jeff Schaffer Los Angeles, CA Southern California
38 James Donald Sunnyvale, CA North California
39 Jason Nelson Sunnyvale, CA North California
40 Tony Ngo Sacramento, CA North California
41 Glen Jeh San Fransisco, CA North California
42 Joe Herrera San Jose, CA North California
43 Julien Beasley Oakland, CA North California
44 Michael Maxwell Benicia, CA North California
45 Ron Allen San Romon, CA North California
46 Salman Mattu San Jose, CA North California
47 Larry Cadelina Milpitas, CA North California
48 Jerry Cruz Milpitas, CA North California
49 Mike Kutas Huntington Beach, CA Southern California
50 Mike Chang Berkeley, CA North California
51 Joe Cain El Granada, CA North California
52 Ray Tsai Los Angeles, CA Southern California
53 Doug Favelo Fresno, CA Southern California
54 Willie Cullamco Sunnyvale, CA North California
55 Jamal Carter Oakland, CA North California
56 Elton Brown Richmond, CA North California
57 Chris Finnie Vancover, Canada Canada
58 Mike Watson Los Angeles, CA Southern California
59 Martin Vega Los Angeles, CA Southern California
60 Alex Valle Los Angeles, CA Southern California
61 Tao Duong Orange Counnty, CA Southern California
62 Malak Rida San Fransisco, CA North California
63 Jim Wang San Jose, CA North California
64 Mike Pirring San Fransisco, CA North California

Those of you who have been paying attention (and actually took the time
to read the signup list) may have noticed that the North and South Cali
regions are bloated. In order to balance the regions, we had to take some
people out of their "home" region and fill them into Canada and Unified
(this would not be the last time we were to intervene. See below).

Seeding was done by word of mouth, net.reputation, and general bickering =).
I don't recommend that anyone use net.reputation to seed people in the
future, as it's only a gross estimate and can be wildly inaccurate in
some cases.

The 64 were broken into 2 qualifying groups of 32 (with the
top 16 in each group going on to the finals). Here's the seeding
for Pool A.

Canada Northern Cali Southern Cali Unified
1) Bob Painter John Choi Mike Watson Firas
2) Adam McMahon Jason Cole Martin Vega Marwan
3) Shon Damron David Sirlin James Chen Bashar
4) Chris Finnie Julien Beasley Jerry Cruz Tim Otholt
5) Matt Taylor Matt Hoppa Jason MacGlone Chris Tang
6) Larry Cadeilna Sam Villaneuva Mike Pirring David Dial
7) Jamal Carter Ming Ray Tsai Cameron Ayers
8) Malak Rida Joe Cain Mike Kutas Joe Herrera

In general, the bracket is set up such that you expect the top four
seeds of each region to move on to the finals. Firas, Marwan, and
Bashar were complete unknowns, but were give the top three seeds in the
Unified regions because they flew all the way from Kuwait =).
Interestingly enough, the top 3 seeds in the Canadian region are from
San Diego. We did this because it was just plain empty (the only person
from Canada in Pool A, in fact, is Chris Finnie). I have no idea how
Mike Kutas got a #8 seed (sorry Mike).

Pool A Matchups!
Here are all the matches for Pool A. The winner of each match
has an X next to him (for both players and characters).

Here's the initial matchus.

Match A vs B. First Second Third
1 Shon Damron Sodom X Sodom Sodom
X Joe Cain X Zangief Zangief X Zangief

2 X Jason MacGlone X Charlie X Charlie
Tim Othot Zangief Chun Li

3 Larry Cadeilna Ken Evil Ryu
X David Sirlin X Bison X Bison

4 X Martin Vega X Charlie X Charlie
Cameron Ayers Evil Ryu Sagat

5 Bob Painter X Rose Rose Birdie
X Sam Villaneuva Old Chun Li X Old Chun Li X Old Chun Li

6 X Ray Tsai X Rose X Rose
Marwan Dhalsim Dhalsim

7 Malak Rida Bison X Bison Bison
X John Choi X Ken Ken X Ryu

8 Jerry Cruz X Ken Ken Ken
X Chris Tang Evil Ryu X Evil Ryu X Evil Ryu

9 Jamal Carter Guy Rolento
X Jason Cole X Charlie X Charlie

10 Mike Pirring [ Mike shows up late and is forced to forfiet
X Bashar his first match. Lucky Bashar! ]

11 Chris Finnie Adon X Rolento Rolento
X Matt Hoppa X Rolento Rolento X Chun Li

12 X Mike Watson X Ryu X Ryu
Joe Herrera Rose Rose

13 Matt Taylor [ Matt Taylor, in an attempt to secure more AV
X Julien Beasley equipment, is not available for his match. ]

14 X Mike Kutas X Birdie X Birdie
Firas Ryu Ryu

15 X Adam McMahon X Rolento X Rolento
Ming Ken Ken

16 X James Chen X Sodom X Sodom
David Dial Zangief Evil Ryu

We'll now switch to the winner's bracket. The winner of each of the
matches below automatically qualifies for the 32-man finals.

17 Joe Cain Zangief Zangief
X Jason MacGlone X Charlie X Charlie

18 X David Sirlin X Bison X Bison
Martin Vega Charlie Charlie

19 X Sam Villaneuva X Old Chun Li X Old Chun Li
Ray Tsai Rose Rose

20 X John Choi X Ken X Ken
Chris Tang Gen Evil Ryu

[ Editor's Note: Gen!??!? Chris Tang, what are you thinking??! Playing
Gen is bad enough, but playing Gen against John Choi? ]

21 X Jason Cole X Charlie X Charlie
Bashar Rolento Rolento

22 Matt Hoppa Chun Li X Rolento Rolento
X Mike Watson X Ryu Ryu X Ken

23 X Julien Beasley X Sodom Sodom X Rolento
Mike Kutas Birdie X Birdie Birdie

[ Editor's Note: Julien, did you really play Rolento here? ]

24 Adam McMahon Rolento Rolento
X James Chen X Sodom X Sodom

[ Editor's Note: This was a really unforuntate matchup, as these two play
togeter all the time. This is where a "float" would have come in handy,
however, we hadn't decided to float at this time. ]

We'll now switch to the loser's bracket. A loss now means that you're out
of the competition.

25 Shon Damron X Sodom X Sodom
Tim Otholt Zangief Zangief

26 Larry Cadeilna Ken X Ken Ken
X Cameron Ayers X Sagat Sagat X Sagat

27 X Bob Painter X Rose X Rose
Marwan Dhalsim Dhalsim

28 X Malak Rida X Bison X Bison
Jerry Cruz Ken Ryu

29 Jamal Carter X Rolento Rolento Guy
X Mike Pirring Bison X Bison X Bison

30 Chris Finnie Rose Rose
X Joe Herrera X Rose X Rose

31 Matt Taylor [ Still missing, Matt has to forfiet again ]
X Firas

32 X Ming X Ken X Ken
David Dial Zangief Zangief

Switching to the second round of the loser's bracket. The winner is in
the finals, the loser goes home.

33 X Martin Vega X Charlie Charlie X Charlie
Shon Damron Sodom X Sodom Sodom

34 Joe Cain Zangief Sodom
X Cameron Ayers X Sagat X Sagat

35 Chris Tang Evil Ryu Evil Ryu
X Bob Painter X Rose X Rose

36 X Ray Tsai X Rose Rose X Ryu
Malak Rida Bison X Rolento Rolento

37 Matt Hoppa Charlie X Charlie Charlie
X Mike Pirring X Bison Bison X Bison

38 X Bashar Rolento X Rolento X Rolento
Joe Herrera X Rose Rose Rose

39 X Adam McMahon X Rolento Rolento X Rolento
Firas Ken X Ryu Ryu

40 X Mike Kutas X Birdie X Birdie
Ming Ken Ken

Pool A went really well. The seeding worked out fine for the most part.
I'm especially glad that Chensor and Adam McMahon went on to the finals,
as they were screwed by the matchup, as well as Mike Kutas who was screwed
by his #8 seed.

For those of you who are more visually inclined, here's the bracket...
(see previous B3 postings for the "How and Why" of filling out a seeded
4-region bracket).

_Martin V_(2)
| _Shon Damron__
_Martin__| _Shon D.__ _Joe Cain_____ _Joe Cain_
|_Shon D._| (1|_Jason M._
|_Tim O.___ _Jason MacGl._ _Jason M._|
_Tim Otholt___
_Joe C.___(1)
| _Larry Cadei._
_Cameron_| _Larry C._ _David Sirlin_ _David S._
|_Cameron_| (2|_David S_
|_Cameron__ _Martin Vega__ _Martin V_|
_Cameron Aye._
_Chris T._(4)
| _Bob Painter__
_Bob P.__| _Bob P.___ _Sam Villane._ _Sam V.___
|_Bob P.__| (3|_Sam V.__
|_Marwan___ _Ray Tsai_____ _Ray Tsai_|
_Marwan_______
_Ray Tsai_(3)
| _Malak Rida___
_Ray T.__| _Malak R._ _John Choi____ _John C.__
|_Malak R_| (4|_John C._
|_Jerry C._ _Jerry Cruz___ _Chris T._|
_Chris Tang___
_Matt H.__(6)
| _Jamal Carter_
_Mike P._| _Jamal C._ _Jason Cole___ _Jason C._
|_Mike P._| (5|_Jason C_
|_Mike P.__ _Mike Pirring_ _Bashar___|
_Bashar_______
_Bashar___(5)
| _Chris Finnie_
_Bashar__| _Chris F._ _Matt Hoppa___ _Matt H.__
|_Joe H.__| (6|_Mike W._
|_Joe H.___ _Mike Watson__ _Mike W.__|
_Joe Herrera__
_Adam M.__(8)
| _Matt Taylor__
_Adam M._| _Matt T.__ _Julien Beas._ _Julien B_
|_Firas___| (7|_Julien B_
|_Firas____ _Mike Kutas___ _Mike K.__|
_Firas________
_Mike K.__(7)
| _Adam McMahon_
_Mike K._| _Ming_____ _Ming_________ _Adam M.__
|_Ming____| (8|_James C._
|_David D._ _James Chen___ _James C._|
_David Dial___

With Pool A out of the way, it was time to start pool B to determine
the 2nd half of the 32-man finals. The seeding went something like this:

Canada Northern Cali Southern Cali Unified
1) Jeffery Hsu Tony Ngo Alex Valle Ron Allen
2) Peter Wong Graham Wolfe Tao Duong Glen Jeh
3) David Cheng Jason Nelson Jeff Schaffer Salman Mattu
4) Rob Cabral Tom Cannon Josh Nishinaga Willie Cullamco
5) Alex Wittenberg James Donald James Romedy Tony Nguyn
6) Henry Lee Melvin Delgado Doug Favelo Calvin Mak
7) Eric Koda Justin Ratcliff Richard Koven Jim Wang
8) Micheal Maxwell DominqueRomriaz Elton Brown Tyron Rodrigez

The seeding worked out much better this time. The top 3 Canadian seeds
are actually Canadian, etc. The only unfortunate thing is that
Richard Koven and James Romedy should really have been given better
seeds, but Pool B is pretty high powered.

Once again, here's the first matchups

Match A vs B. First Second Third
41 Jeffery Hsu [ After repeated calls, Jeffery Hsu could
X Dominque Romriaz not be located and was forfeited ]

42 X James Romedy X Dhalsim X Dhalsim
Willie Cullamco Birdie Ken

43 Henry Lee Dhalsim Dhalsim
X Jason Nelson X Ryu X Ryu

44 X Thao Duong X Ken X Ken
Jim Wang Sodom Sodom

45 X David Cheng Ken X Ken X Ken
Melvin DelGado X Rolento Rolento Chun Li

46 X Richard Koven X Chun Li X Chun Li
Glen Jeh Chun Li Chun Li

47 Micheal Maxwell Chun Li Chun Li
X Tony Ngo X Ken X Ken

48 X Josh Nishinaga X Sodom Sodom X Sodom
Tony Nguyn Adon X Adon Adon

49 Eric Koda Rose Rose
X Graham Wolfe X Chun Li X Chun Li

50 Doug Favelo Rolento Ken
X Salman Mattu X Akuma X Akuma

51 Rob Cabral X Ryu Chun Li Chun Li
X James Donald Chun Li X Chun Li X Chun Li

52 X Alex Valle X Ryu X Ryu
Tyron Rodrigez Chun Li Bison

53 X Alex Wittenberg X Chun Li X Chun Li
Tom Cannon Bison Bison

54 X Elton Brown X Chun Li Chun Li X Charlie
Ron Allen Ryu X Evil Ryu Evil Ryu

55 X Peter Wong X Charlie X Charlie
Justin Ratcliff Sodom Sodom

56 X Jeff Schaffer X Akuma X Akuma
Calvin Mak Bison Bison

The 1st round of the winner's bracket. Winners qualify for the finals.

57 X Dominque Romriaz X Ken X Ken
James Romedy Dhalsim Dhalsim

58 X Jason Nelson X Ryu X Ryu
Thao Duong Ken Chun Li

59 X David Cheng X Ken X Ken
Richard Koven Charlie Chun Li

60 X Tony Ngo X Ryu X Ryu
Josh Nishinaga Sodom Sodom

61 X Graham Wolfe Chun Li X Chun Li X Chun Li
Salman Mattu X Akuma Akuma Akuma

62 James Donald Chun Li Chun Li
X Alex Valle X Ken X Ken

63 Alex Wittenberg Chun Li Chun Li
X Elton Brown X Chun Li X Chun Li

64 Peter Wong Charlie Charlie
X Jeff Schaffer X Akuma X Akuma

Off we go to the loser's bracket! Losers from here on out are eliminated.

65 X Jeffery Hsu X Bison X Bison
Willie Cullamco Ken Birdie

66 X Henry Lee [ Jim Wang took off, and forfeits the rest
Jim Wang of his matches ]

67 X Melvin DelGado Chun Li X Chun Li X Chun Li
Glen Jeh X Chun Li Chun Li Chun Li

[ Editor's Note: At this point, Jim Wang returns, but has already
forfieted. Luckily (?), Mike Maxwell is also missing. Wang is allowed
to play proxy for Maxwell ]

68 Michael Maxwell Sodom Birdie
X Tony Nguyn X Adon X Adon

69 X Eric Koda X Rose X Rose
Doug Favelo Rolento Ken

70 X Rob Cabral [ Tyron Rodrigez forfiets ]
Tyron Rodrigez

71 X Tom Cannon X Bison Bison X Bison
Ron Allen Evil Ryu X Evil Ryu Evil Ryu

72 Justin Ratcliff Sodom Rolento
X Calvin Mak X Bison X Bison

2nd round of the loser's bracket. Winner qualifys, loser takes off.

73 X Thao Duong X Chun Li X Chun Li
Jeffery Hsu Bison Bison

74 X James Romedy X Dhalsim X Dhalsim
Henry Lee Dhalsim Dhalsim

75 Josh Nishinaga Akuma Akuma
X Melvin DelGado X Rolento X Rolento

76 X Richard Koven Chun Li X Ken X Ken
Tony Nguyn X Adon Adon Adon

77 James Donald Chun Li X Chun Li Chun Li
X Eric Koda X Rose Rose X Rose

78 X Salman Mattu X Akuma X Akuma
Rob Cabral Chun Li Chun Li

79 Peter Wong Chun Li Charlie
X Tom Cannon X Bison X Bison

80 Alex Wittenberg Chun Li Chun Li
X Calvin Mak X Bison X Bison

[ Note: At this point, Micheal Maxwell shows up after being gone for
quite a long time. He's a bit upset that he's only lost one, but has
been eliminated by forfiet. Jeffery Shu is in a similiar situation.
Thus, we play them both against each other to see who will take the
place of someone who has already qualified, but didn't want to stay
for the rest of the tournament. ]

80* X Jeffery Shu X Bison X Bison
Micheal Maxwell Chun Li Chun Li

Again, here's the bracket:

_Thao D.__(2)
| _Jeffery Hsu__
_Thao_D__| _Jeffery__ _Dominque R.__ _Dominque_
|_Jeffery_| (1|_Dominque_
|_Willie C. _James Romedy_ _James R__|
_Willie C.____
_James R__(1)
| _Henry Lee____
_James R_| _Henry L._ _Jason Nelson_ _Jason N__
|_Henry L.| (2|_Jason N_
|_Jim Wang_ _Thao Duong___ _Thao D___|
_Jim Wang_____
_Josh Nis_(4)
| _David Chen___
_Melvin__| _Melvin___ _Melvin Del.__ _David C__
|_Melvin__| (3|_David C_
|_Glen Jeh_ _Richard K.___ _Richard__|
_Glen Jeh_____
Richard K_(3)
| _Mike Maxwell_
_Richard_| _Mike M.__ _Tony Ngo_____ _Tony N___
|_Tony Ny_| (4|_Tony N__
|_Tony Ny._ _Josh Nishi.__ _Josh N___|
_Tony Nguyn___
_James D__(6)
| _Eric Koda____
_Eric K._| _Eric K.__ _Graham Wolfe_ _Graham W_
|_Eric K._| (5|_Graham W_
|_Doug F.__ _Doug Favelo__ _Salman M_|
_Salman Mattu_
_Salman_M_(5)
| _Rob Cabral___
_Salman__| _Rob C____ _James Donald_ _James D__
|_Rob C___| (6|_Alex V__
|_Tyron R__ _Alex Valle___ _Alex V___|
_Tyron Rodrig_
_Peter W__(8)
| _Alex Witten__
_Tom C___| _Tom C____ _Tom Cannon___ _Alex W___
|_Tom C___| (7|_Elton B__
|_Ron A____ _Elton Brown__ _Elton B__|
_Ron Allen____
_Alex W.__(7)
| _Peter Wong___
_Calvin__| _Justin R_ _Justin Rat.__ _Peter W__
|_Calvin__| (8|_Jeff S___
|_Calvin M_ _Jeff Schaffer _Jeff S___|
_Calvin Mak___

So that finished off the qualifying. This is where things get _really_
interesing. Here's how the seeding went for Pool C.

Canada Northern Cali Southern Cali Unified
1) David Cheng John Choi Alex Valle Jason Nelson
2) Jason MacGlone Tony Ngo Mike Watson Jason Cole
3) Dominque Romirez Graham Wolfe Jeff Schaffer David Sirlin
4) Elton Brown Julien Beasley James Chen Sam Villanevua
5) Jeffery Shu Mike Pirring Martin Vega Calvin Mak
6) Bob Painter Tom Cannon Thao Duong Melvin Delgado
7) James Romedy Salman Mattu Adam McMahon Richard Koven
8) Bashar Eric Koda Mike Kutas Cameron Ayers

This is the MOST talent packed bracket I could imagine. Seeding was
an absolute nightmare. First of all, there were more than 8 players
from Northern Cali. (there were 12, in fact). We couldn't just
line up the top 8, though, otherwise #8 NC would have to go against
#1 Canada (David Cheng), which certainly wouldn't be fair! So, we
decided to split the top 8 of North Cali between NC and Unified (since
the bracket is setup to first battle NC vs Canada and SC vs Unified,
this would tend to keep the NC players separate, even though they're
from different regions). Southern Kali filled up nicely with the LA
people. The only problem left was where to put San Diego =). The only
place left was at the bottom of Canada, which kind of sucks because
the bottom of Canada gets to match up against the top of NC, but those
are the breaks...

Here are the matchups...

Match A vs B. First Second Third
81 X David Cheng X Ken Ken X Ken
Eric Koda Rose X Rose Rose

82 X Martin Vega X Charlie X Charlie
Sam Villanevua Chun Li Chun Li

83 Bob Painter Rose Ken
X Graham Wolfe X Chun Li X Chun Li

84 Mike Watson Sakura X Ryu Ryu
X Richard Koven X Chun Li Chun Li X Ken

[ Editor's Note: Mike Watson upset! ]

85 Dominque Romirez Ken Ken
X Tom Cannon X Bison X Bison

86 Adam McMahon Rolento Rolento
X Jason Cole X Charlie X Charlie

87 Bashar Rolento Guy
X John Choi X Ken X Ken

88 X James Chen X Zangief X Zangief
Calvin Mak Bison Charlie

89 X James Romedy Dhalsim X Dhalsim X Dhalsim
Tony Ngo X Ken Ken Ken

[ Editor's Note: See the Romedy/Ngo matchup on the soon to be released
(???????!???) B3 tape. ]

90 X Thao Duong Chun Li X Chun Li X Chun Li
David Sirlin X Bison Bison Bison

91 X Elton Brown X Chun Li Chun Li X Bison
Mike Pirring Bison X Bison Bison

92 X Alex Valle X Ken X Ken
Cameron Ayers Sagat Sagat

93 Jeffery Shu Bison Bison
X Julien Beasley X Sodom X Sodom

[ Editor's Note: This is the first matchup in what will be Julien
Beasley's rage of unholy Sodom terror at B3. ]

94 Mike Kutas Birdie Birdie
X Jason Nelson X Ryu X Ryu

95 X Jason MacGlone Adon X Sodom X Sodom
Salman Mattu X Akuma Akuma Akuma

96 X Jeff Schaffer X Akuma X Akuma
Melvin DelGado Rolento Rolento

Moving on to the first round of the winner's bracket. This is where
things start to get interesting.

97 X David Cheng X Ken Ken X Ken
Martin Vega Charlie X Chun Li Chun Li

[ Editor's Note: David Cheng continues to show an excellent game, in spite
of living in Canada (just kidding, Chris, Peter). He hasn't lost a match
yet in either the prelim's or finals. ]

98 Graham Wolfe Rolento X Chun Li Chun Li
X Richard Koven X Chun Li Chun Li X Ken

[ Editor's Note: Richard is on a tear, defeating first Mike Watson, and
now Graham Wolfe. ]

99 Tom Cannon Bison Birdie
X Jason Cole X Charlie X Charlie

[ Editor's Note: Another match that never should have happened, both Cole
and Cannon competing against each other weekly at Sunnyvale Golfland. ]

100 X John Choi X Ken X Ken
James Chen Sodom Sodom

101 James Romedy Dhalsim X Dhalsim Dhalsim
X Thao Duong X Chun Li Chun Li X Ken

102 Elton Brown Chun Li Charlie
X Alex Valee X Ken X Ken

103 X Julien Beasley Sodom X Sodom X Sodom
Jason Nelson X Sagat Sagat Sagat

[ Editor's Note: Another huge upset. Julien's streak with Sodom continues ]

104 Jason MacGlone Sodom Charlie
Jeff Schaffer X Ken X Ken

At this point, we jumped over to the round of 16 in the loser's bracket.

105 X Eric Koda Rose X Rose X Rose
Sam Villanevua X Old Chun Li Old Chun Li Old Chun Li

106 Bob Painter Rose X Rose Rose
X Mike Watson X Ryu Ryu X Ryu

[ Editor's Note: What can I say except that life REALLY sucks for Bob,
being eliminated by Graham Wolfe and Mike Watson (arguable 2 of the top
6 players in California, if not the United States) in his first 2 matches. ]

107 Dominque Romirez Evil Ryu X Ken Ken
X Adam McMahon X Rolento Rolento X Rolento

108 Bashar Guy Rolento
X Calvin Mak X Bison X Bison

[ Editor's Note: According to the bracket, Tony Ngo should have to
fight David Sirlin. That's a real bummer, because Ngo and Sirlin both
competed in Sunnyvale over the summer, both are very good players, and
both are in the loser's bracket. This is when we decided to float the
bracket to make things more "fair". In this case, we float Shu and
Sirlin, changing the matchup's from Ngo vs. Sirlin and Shu vs. Kutas
to Ngo vs. Shu and Sirlin vs. Kutas ]

109 X Tony Ngo X Ken X Ken
Jeffery Shu Bison Bison

110 X Mike Pirring X Bison X Bison
Cameron Ayers Chun Li Chun Li

111 X David Sirlin X Bison X Bison
Mike Kutas Birdie Birdie

[ Editor's Note: Previously Shu vs. Kutas, floated for Ngo ]

112 Salman Mattu Akuma Ken
X Melvin DelGado X Rolento X Rolento

The next round of the loser's bracket matches...

113 X Graham Wolfe X Chun Li X Chun Li
Eric Koda Rose Rose

[ Editor's Note: Martin Vega's loss to Cheng in the winner's bracket means
that he must face Mike Watson in the losers. Furthermore, Nelson's
loss to Beasley means he must fact DelGado. Both matchups are
local, therefore, we'll float DelGado for Vega to produce two
North vs. South matchups ]

114 Melvin DelGado Rolento Rolento
X Mike Watson X Sakura X Sakura

[ Editor's Note: Chen's loss to Choi means he should play McMahon.
Both are San Diego players, so float Cannon for McMahon ]

115 James Chen Zangief Zangief
X Tom Cannon X Bison X Bison

116 X Adam McMahon Rolento X Zangief X Zangief
Calvin Mak X Bison Bison Bison

[ Editor's Note: Previously Cannon vs. Mak ]

117 Elton Brown Bison X Chun Li Chun Li
X Tony Ngo X Ken Ken X Charlie

118 James Romedy X Dhalsim Dhalsim Dhalsim
X Mike Pirring Bison X Bison X Bison

119 Jason MacGlone Adon Sodom
X David Sirlin X Bison X Bison

120 X Jason Nelson X Ryu Ryu X Ryu
Martin Vega Rolento X Rolento Rolento

[ Editor's Note: Previously Nelson vs. DelGado ]

At this point there are only 8 people left in the loser's bracket.
What we've played out till now looks like:

Floats marked with a *.

_Graham W_(2)
| _David Cheng__
_Graham__| _Eric K___ _Eric Koda____ _David C__
|_Eric K__| (1|_David C__
|_Sam V____ _Martin Vega__ _Martin V_|
_Sam Villanev_
_Melvin *_(1)
| _Bob Painter__
_Mike W__| _Bob P____ _Graham Wolfe_ _Graham W_
|_Mike W__| (2|_Richard_
|_Mike W___ _Mike Watson__ _Richard__|
_Richard Kove_
_James C__(4)
| _Dominque Rom_
_Tom C___| _Dominque_ _Tom Cannon___ _Tom C____
|_Tom C *_| (3|_Jason C_
|_Adam M___ _Adam McMahon_ _Jason C__|
_Jason Cole___
_Adam M_*_(3)
| _Bashar_______
_Adam M__| _Bashar___ _John Choi____ _John C___
|_Calvin__| (4|_John C__
|_Calvin M_ _James Chen___ _James C__|
_Calvin Mak___
_Elton B__(6)
| _James Romedy_
_Tony N__| _Tony N___ _Tony Ngo_____ _James R__
|_Tony N__| (5|_Thao D___
|_Jeffery * _Thao Duong___ _Thao D___|
_David Sirlin_
_James R__(5)
| _Elton Brown__
_Mike P__| _Mike P___ _Mike Pirring_ _Elton B__
|_Mike P__| (6|_Alex V__
|_Cameron__ _Alex Valle___ _Alex V___|
_Cameron Ayer_
_Jason M__(8)
| _Jeffery Shu__
_David S_| _David S * _Julien Beast_ _Julien___
|_David S_| (7|_Julien___
|_Mike K___ _Mike Kutas___ _Jason N__|
_Jason Nelson_
_Jason N__(7)
| _Jason MacGlo_
_Jason N_| _Salman M_ _Salman Mattu_ _Jason M__
|_Martin*_| (8|_Jeff S___
|_Melvin D_ _Jeff Schaffer _Jeff S___|
_Melvin Delga_

Resuming where we left off in the loser's bracket...

121 X Graham Wolfe Chun Li X Chun Li X Chun Li
Mike Watson X Ryu Ryu Ryu

122 Tom Cannon X Bison Dhalsim Dhalsim
X Adam McMahon Zangief X Zangief X Zangief

[ Editor's Note: McMahon edges past Cannon in a _tight_ second match.
Shortly after the match, Cannon decides to work lots of mid-air
teleports into his Dhalsim (a mid-air teleport could have saved
Cannon in the waning seconds of the 2nd match) See it all on the B3 tape
(soon?) ]

123 X Tony Ngo X Ryu X Ryu
Mike Pirring Bison Bison

124 David Sirlin X Bison Bison Bison
X Jason Nelson Ryu X Ryu X Ryu

Back to the top 8 in the winner's bracket.

125 X David Cheng Ken X Ken Ken
Richard Koven X Chun Li Chun Li X Chun Li

[ Editor's Note: The abundance of NC players means that now Choi should
fight Cole. Also, Duong should fight Valle. Again, we float Cole and
Duong to produce two North vs. South matchups ]

126 Thao Duong Ken X Ken Ken
X John Choi X Ken Ken X Ken

127 Jason Cole Dhalsim Dhalsim
X Alex Valle X Ken X Ken

[ Editor's Note: Formerly Duong vs. Valle ]

128 Julien Beasley X Sodom Sodom Sodom
X Jeff Schaffer Ken X Ken X Ken

[ Editor's Note: Julien seems to have stalled a bit. Has the Sodomizer
run out of steam (ahem). ]

Down to the final 8 of the loser's bracket.

[ Editor's Note: Beasley's loss to Schaffer means that he has to fight
Nelson. However, Nelson has already been defeated by Beasley in the
finals. In a double elimination tournament, it is not desirable for
1 person to have to fight the same person twice until absolutely necessary.
Thus, we float Beasley and Cheng. ]

129 Graham Wolfe X Chun Li Chun Li Chun Li
X Julien Beasley Sodom X Sodom X Sodom

[ Editor's Note: Cole's loss to Valle means that he should fight Ngo.
To prevent a North vs. North matchup, we float Duong for Ngo ]

130 Adam McMahon Rolento Zangief
X Tony Ngo X Ken X Ken

131 X Thao Duong X Ken X Ken
Jason Cole Dhalsim Dhalsim

[ Editor's Note: Previously Ngo vs. Cole ]

132 X Jason Nelson X Ryu Ryu X Ken
David Cheng Ken X Evil Ryu Evil Ryu

[ Editor's Note: Previously Nelson vs. Beasley ]

Down to the last 8 people of the tournament. We did the final 4 of
the loser's bracket first. Finally, there were no floats.

133 Julien Beasley Sodom Sodom
X Tony Ngo X Charlie X Charlie

134 Thao Duong Ken X Chun Li Chun Li
X Jason Nelson X Ryu Ryu X Sagat

Back to the winner's bracket.

[ Editor's Note: We floated Koven and Schaffer because we felt that
Schaffer and Valle had probably played together more. This may have
been a bad decision, I don't know the players well enough. ]

135 X Jeff Schaffer X Akuma Akuma Akuma
John Choi Ken X Ryu X Ryu

136 X Alex Valle X Ken X Ken
Richard Koven Charlie Charlie

Over to the final 4 of the loser's bracket

137 X Jeff Schaffer X Akuma X Akuma
Tony Ngo Ken Ryu

138 Richard Koven X Chun Li Chun Li Chun Li
X Jason Nelson Ryu X Ryu X Ryu

Reducing the field to just 4 players:
Choi, Valle, Nelson and Schaffer. From this point on, we decided to
battle the best 3 out of 5

Loser's bracket first...

139 Jeff Schaffer X Akuma Akuma Ken Akuma
X Jason Nelson Ryu X Charlie X Charlie X Charlie

Which brings us to the finals of the winner's bracket. An interesting
note: through the entire tournament (both prelims and finals) , no one has
been able to touch Alex Valle. He hasn't lost ONE SINGLE MATCH. This is
what people mean when they say, "Valle owns Alpha2".

140 John Choi Ken X Ken X Ken Ken Ken
X Alex Valle X Ken Ken Ryu X Ryu X Ryu

In by far the most exciting matchup of the day (so far), Valle narrowly
defeats Choi, who goes on to face Nelson in the loser's bracket.

141 Jason Nelson Ryu Ken Sagat
X John Choi X Ken X Ken X Ken

Which brings a rematch in the finals of the winners bracket. Choi vs.
Valle again! Reviewing the rules of a double elimination tournament, since
Valle has not been defeated, Choi must win TWO 3-out-of-5 sets to claim
the title.

Heh... Unfortunately, this is where the excitement of B3 takes over and
I abandon my laptop to watch the action. This is from memory only. Please
correct me if I'm wrong.

142 X John Choi X Ken Ken Ken X Ken X Ken
Alex Valle Ryu X Ryu X Ryu Ryu Ryu

John takes the first 3-out-of-5. Now it's 1 more set to determine the
winner... EVEN MORE CHOI vs. VALLE!

143 John Choi Ken Ken X Ken X Ken Ken
X Alex Valle X Ryu X Ryu Ryu Ryu X Sagat

Valle takes the title (and there way much rejoicing)!

[ Editor's Note: Experience the true excitement of the 15 matches between
Choi and Valle in the B3 tape. Some of the best Alpha2 action around. ]

Well, that's it. I now have terrible finger pain. =)
(help... icepack...)

Kenichiro Tanaka

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

In article <58ig2l$c...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>, can...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Tony
Cannon) wrote:

>[report deleted]

Wow, that was...huge. ^_^ Thanks a lot for posting this--I can't even
imagine how much work this was to put together. People weren't kidding
when they said you guys ran the tournament well.

So where's the tape? ^_^

| Kenichiro Tanaka -- tan...@maya.com |
| http://www.maya.com/Local/tanaka/ |

Tony Cannon

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

In article <tanaka-1012...@tanaka.maya.com>,

Kenichiro Tanaka <tan...@maya.com> wrote:
>In article <58ig2l$c...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>, can...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Tony
>Cannon) wrote:
>
>>[report deleted]
>
>Wow, that was...huge. ^_^ Thanks a lot for posting this--I can't even
>imagine how much work this was to put together. People weren't kidding
>when they said you guys ran the tournament well.

Thanks.

>So where's the tape? ^_^

Good question. Last I heard they copies were run off an ready to
be sent out to people who had mailed in their checks. I'm not sure
if they've actually gone out yet, though. You can try mailing Matt
Taylor for details (MATa...@ix.netcom.com).