Q2DM1 tricks: Bunny hopping to the 10 rockets

Ford[SC]

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98

I have a demo of myself making the jump from the upper rocket
launcher to the the 10 rockets without using a rocket jump. Instead I
use the technique referred to as "bunny-hopping" or "jump-running".
You can download the demo here:

http://www.ebicom.net/~michaels/bunnyhoppin.zip

For those that don't know, bunny hopping is done by jumping
forward in rapid succession, while at the same time holding down a
strafe key...it can result in quite a speed increase. This is not the
only spot it's useful in, but thus far its the only spot I have been
able to use it in... :) I'm still learning....
Ford[SC] ICQ UIN:5217206
AGQ2 Backup Haus IP:208.148.192.135:27910
New Backup Haus Map (added 11/1/98):
http://www.ebicom.net/~michaels/levels.zip
Current Backup Haus Map Pack (11/1/98):
http://www.ebicom.net/~michaels/bhauspak.zip
Visit The StoneCutters Clan homepage!
http://www.baypoint.com/clan

Cerberus a.o.d.

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
You mean outside right? I just use the railing from where it goes into the room
and the stairs go down to walk along that wall to them.

--
Cerberus a.o.d.
BSBHHOUND at AOL dot COM

Make a joke
And I will sigh
And you will laugh
And I will cry
Happiness I cannot feel
And love to me is so unreal
-Paranoid

Ford[SC]

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
On Sat, 14 Nov 1998 01:52:43 GMT, "Cerberus a.o.d."
<LM...@YouStupidSpammer.org> wrote:

>You mean outside right? I just use the railing from where it goes into the room
>and the stairs go down to walk along that wall to them.

Ummm...yeah. That's the normal way of getting them. But it
has the disadvantage of taking a long time and leaving yourself in a
relatively dangerous position (you do have your back to wall after
all). And during a 1-on-1, if you get caught on that railing and
you're enemy is any good, you're dead meat. By doing the bunny hop
technique you quickly obtain the rocket launcher and 10 rockets.
Quickly gaining the advantage can mean the difference between winning
and losing in 1-on-1's (which is where this trick is primarily
useful). Watch the demo and I think you'll agree the bunny hop method
is faster. :)

>> I have a demo of myself making the jump from the upper rocket
>> launcher to the the 10 rockets without using a rocket jump. Instead I
>> use the technique referred to as "bunny-hopping" or "jump-running".
>> You can download the demo here:
>>
>> http://www.ebicom.net/~michaels/bunnyhoppin.zip

Frank_Rizzo

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

Ford[SC] wrote in message <364c82f4...@news.supernews.com>...
> Hi,

> I have a demo of myself making the jump from the upper rocket
>launcher to the the 10 rockets without using a rocket jump. Instead I
>use the technique referred to as "bunny-hopping" or "jump-running".
>You can download the demo here:
>
> http://www.ebicom.net/~michaels/bunnyhoppin.zip
>
> For those that don't know, bunny hopping is done by jumping
>forward in rapid succession, while at the same time holding down a
>strafe key...it can result in quite a speed increase. This is not the
>only spot it's useful in, but thus far its the only spot I have been
>able to use it in... :) I'm still learning....

Yeah, you said how ya did that... but, HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!? If I hold a
strafe key, I strafe! I'll end up sideways somewhere!

bong

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
"Frank_Rizzo" <coo...@NOSPAMmindspring.com> wrote:

>Yeah, you said how ya did that... but, HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!? If I hold a
>strafe key, I strafe! I'll end up sideways somewhere!

Heh, the key is to jump from the very edge. And THAT is the hardest
thing because you have to be both at top speed and on the edge.

BONG
http://www.games.lt/quake/
A close look at Quake2.

ripper

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
He said jumping "forward" Frank.
You shouldn't go sideways if you're jumping forward with the strafe key
depressed.
;-)

Frank_Rizzo wrote:

> Ford[SC] wrote in message <364c82f4...@news.supernews.com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a demo of myself making the jump from the upper rocket
> >launcher to the the 10 rockets without using a rocket jump. Instead I
> >use the technique referred to as "bunny-hopping" or "jump-running".
> >You can download the demo here:
> >
> > http://www.ebicom.net/~michaels/bunnyhoppin.zip
> >
> > For those that don't know, bunny hopping is done by jumping
> >forward in rapid succession, while at the same time holding down a
> >strafe key...it can result in quite a speed increase. This is not the
> >only spot it's useful in, but thus far its the only spot I have been
> >able to use it in... :) I'm still learning....

ripper

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
scratch that, I tried and it doesn't seem to let me jump forwards that way:
forwards button depressed, strafe depressed, but jump won't jump when strafe
is depressed.
Oh well.

Ford[SC]

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 07:25:53 GMT, dan...@brucehall.anu.edu.au
(Trejkaz) wrote:

I was waiting to explain this (or try to) because I figured
someone who understood bunny hopping better than me (Bong, DareDevil?)
would explain it. I just recently learned how to do it myself. Oh
well, here goes:

>In article <364E7D41...@vanwinkle.net>, ripper <r...@vanwinkle.net> wrote:
>> scratch that, I tried and it doesn't seem to let me jump forwards that way:
>> forwards button depressed, strafe depressed, but jump won't jump when strafe
>> is depressed.
>> Oh well.

That's your keyboard. Cheaper keyboards won't read but so
many keys being depressed simultaneously.

The best way I know how to explain it is this. Run forward,
and jump. JUST BEFORE YOU JUMP, hit and hold a strafe key. Of course
this will make you jump forward and ever so slightly in the direction
of your strafe. Now, as long as you hold a strafe key, maintain a
relative forward direction, and jump as soon as your feet land from
the last jump, you will gain speed (up to a maximum of course). Watch
the Immortal or Thresh demos, they both do it all the time.

To maintain a relative forward direction, you must account for
the strafe by changing the direction you are looking. Depending on
the situation, you may want to alternate strafes between the jumps.
As long as you are holding strafe one way or the other when you jump,
it doesn't matter which way. Alternating is better if you're trying
to go in a straight line. Sometimes you can get away with holding
strafe in a particular direction if you're traveling in a curve. It's
easier to lose control of your direction that way though.

To do the trick jumping across to the 10 rockets, this is
exactly how I did it. Start at the respawn pad, and run forward.
Before you get to the corner, strafe right and jump, facing forward as
you jump. As you are going over the gap, still holding strafe right,
turn so you are facing towards the outside. Continue holding strafe
right, and jump in succession, controlling your direction by the way
you are facing. If you started your first jump at the right spot,
your last jump will be from the very edge of the ledge, and you'll
make it over. If you didn't (which will probably be the case 90% of
the time) then you will just barely miss. :)

BTW, I still miss that jump 8 out of 10 times I try it.

SuperTech{OT}

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
I always try and turn the mouse ever so to the opposite way of the strafe to
keep it in a straight line of motion!

--
Mark
SuperTech{OT}

bong

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
michaelsRE...@akamail.com (Ford[SC]) wrote:

>If you started your first jump at the right spot,
>your last jump will be from the very edge of the ledge, and you'll
>make it over. If you didn't (which will probably be the case 90% of
>the time) then you will just barely miss. :)

No that's enough. I surrender. I wasn't able to find any regularity in
this jump. It's very easy to proove the jump can be physically
performed but mastering it seems impossible. If someone finds a
solution it'll be a distinctive place where you must start
bunny-hopping. Phew...

Ford[SC]

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:08:06 GMT, bo...@iti.lt (bong) wrote:

>michaelsRE...@akamail.com (Ford[SC]) wrote:
>
>>If you started your first jump at the right spot,
>>your last jump will be from the very edge of the ledge, and you'll
>>make it over. If you didn't (which will probably be the case 90% of
>>the time) then you will just barely miss. :)
>
>No that's enough. I surrender. I wasn't able to find any regularity in
>this jump. It's very easy to proove the jump can be physically
>performed but mastering it seems impossible.

Agreed. I always try to do it, but I can pretty much tell by
the time I make it outside whether or not I'm going to make it. If I
know that I'm not, I either stop short or I turn a hard right and land
on the walkway leading into the superhealth room.

Ford[SC]

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:31:22 GMT, dan...@brucehall.anu.edu.au
(Trejkaz) wrote:

>In article <364eef7f...@news.supernews.com>,

>michaelsRE...@akamail.com (Ford[SC]) wrote:

>> To do the trick jumping across to the 10 rockets, this is
>> exactly how I did it. Start at the respawn pad, and run forward.
>> Before you get to the corner, strafe right and jump, facing forward as
>> you jump. As you are going over the gap, still holding strafe right,
>> turn so you are facing towards the outside. Continue holding strafe
>> right, and jump in succession, controlling your direction by the way

>> you are facing. If you started your first jump at the right spot,

>> your last jump will be from the very edge of the ledge, and you'll
>> make it over. If you didn't (which will probably be the case 90% of
>> the time) then you will just barely miss. :)
>

>Yeah, but that's not what the demo was said to be. The guy said it was from
>the rocket launcher... *that* is where you would need to "bunny hop" from.

You misunderstood (and what guy are you referring to BTW? I
was the one who made the demo). You *do* jump from the upper rocket
launcher. But you have to start bunny hopping well BEFORE you get to
the upper rocket launcher or you won't have the necessary speed built
up to cross the gap.

>As for the place near the respawn point (and the one on the other side of the
>steps)... that doesn't even need strafing because the using the ramp and doing
>a double-tap jump gets you up there pretty reproducibly.

The respawn pad I am referring to it the one that is on the
path to the upper rocket launcher, to the immediate left of the
doorway past the 4 armor shards, not the one on the bottom. I know
the trick of which you speak, this is a different one. Watch the
demo, and you'll see what I mean. (http://www.games.lt/quake/)

>And it can be done on my keyboard, whose setup seems to spite my configs. :)
>It's pretty amazing that I can't jump while strafe running... jump is on the
>mouse!!

That is odd. >:-/

John Wolanski

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
The spawn pad was only used as a reference point to describe the path
you take to the rocket launcher.

--
-John Wolanski
Remove the "_removethis" from my email address to reply.

Trejkaz

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
In article <364E7D41...@vanwinkle.net>, ripper <r...@vanwinkle.net> wrote:
> scratch that, I tried and it doesn't seem to let me jump forwards that way:
> forwards button depressed, strafe depressed, but jump won't jump when strafe
> is depressed.
> Oh well.

Same. I think it's the keyboard, though. Luckily, you can get to the same
place by about four other methods, so it's not an urgency. :-)

Trejkaz

Daniel Noll / Trejkaz [TkZ] http://brucehall.anu.edu.au/~daniel/
Finger me for public key dan...@brucehall.anu.edu.au

-= The world's only multiple-personality Quake2 clan. :-) =-

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck,
we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a
small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.
-- Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Douglas Adams)

Trejkaz

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
In article <364eef7f...@news.supernews.com>,
michaelsRE...@akamail.com (Ford[SC]) wrote:
> To do the trick jumping across to the 10 rockets, this is
> exactly how I did it. Start at the respawn pad, and run forward.
> Before you get to the corner, strafe right and jump, facing forward as
> you jump. As you are going over the gap, still holding strafe right,
> turn so you are facing towards the outside. Continue holding strafe
> right, and jump in succession, controlling your direction by the way
> you are facing. If you started your first jump at the right spot,
> your last jump will be from the very edge of the ledge, and you'll
> make it over. If you didn't (which will probably be the case 90% of
> the time) then you will just barely miss. :)

Yeah, but that's not what the demo was said to be. The guy said it was from
the rocket launcher... *that* is where you would need to "bunny hop" from.

As for the place near the respawn point (and the one on the other side of the

steps)... that doesn't even need strafing because the using the ramp and doing
a double-tap jump gets you up there pretty reproducibly.

And it can be done on my keyboard, whose setup seems to spite my configs. :)

It's pretty amazing that I can't jump while strafe running... jump is on the
mouse!!

Trejkaz

Trejkaz

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
In article <364f530a...@news.supernews.com>, michaelsRE...@akamail.com (Ford[SC]) wrote:
> You misunderstood (and what guy are you referring to BTW? I
> was the one who made the demo). You *do* jump from the upper rocket
> launcher. But you have to start bunny hopping well BEFORE you get to
> the upper rocket launcher or you won't have the necessary speed built
> up to cross the gap.

Eep. There has to be some confusion somewhere, then. If you're jumping from

the rocket launcher, where's the need for a respawn pad? That must have
thrown me off... my bad.

Trejkaz

Ford[SC]

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:15:42 GMT, dan...@brucehall.anu.edu.au
(Trejkaz) wrote:

>Eep. There has to be some confusion somewhere, then. If you're jumping from
>the rocket launcher, where's the need for a respawn pad? That must have
>thrown me off... my bad.

Have you watched the demo? Watch the demo and all will be
explained......

.....kinda. :)

Ford[SC]

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:50:49 +0100, HCW <dam...@casema.net> wrote:

>How long will it take before we see the pros doing this move?
>I've seen immortal do the U-turn to the CA, and the other jumps (apart
>from puppy..) are done with regularity.
>But this one is sooo cool, and really funny to watch!

I don't know if it's really that effective. I have no doubt
that both Thresh and Immortal could probably do it on demand, but
perhaps they think that all of the noise they make doing it would give
away their position or something. I can do that trick, but my dueling
skills are pretty raw right now.

>I wish there was a recammed version (keygrip?). You should use a
>kangaroo model for that one :))

That would be awesome! Too bad I don't know how to use those
demo editors....

HCW

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98

"Ford[SC]" wrote:

[..]

> >I wish there was a recammed version (keygrip?). You should use a
> >kangaroo model for that one :))
>
> That would be awesome! Too bad I don't know how to use those
> demo editors....

Well, I used to have the program installed, until it messed up my config
files.
I'll give it another try, maybe I have a recammed copy by...xmas :-b
Every other jump I know of on The Edge, I succeeded in. Although with
lag it's a different story somehow. With a latency of 200 ms, it's for
instance not a matter of hitting fire twice, as quickly as possible to
get on top of the crates. (to strafe-jump to MG) But to wait a moment
before hitting fire a second time.
Anyways, I won't sleep until I've managed the bunny jump at least once.
So by the time Quake Arena hits the shelves, I should have a demo by
myself. ;)
It would be great though, to have a map around which is just one long
hallway.
Say, a mile or 2 straight ahead. Just for bunny jumping practice
purposes..

Keep up the good work Ford!
God I love this game

HCW

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98

HCW wrote:

> instance not a matter of hitting fire twice, as quickly as possible to
> get on top of the crates. (to strafe-jump to MG) But to wait a moment
> before hitting fire a second time.

Yes, I mean '+moveup' dammit :)

bong

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
It seems the bunny-jump to the 10 rockets CAN be mastered. It works me
90% time now. Follow the link below for a demo and text instructions.