Getting MAME to LOOK like the arcade version - scanlines

Venger

Jan 19, 2008, 5:35:16 PM1/19/08

In the olde days, MAME was easily configurable to utilize scanlines in
it's display to mimic the CRT appearance caused by the raster scan.

Now, it's freaking impossible it appears to make MAME look like the old
video monitors of yore. I have tried without success to make this work.

On the chance I am simply not choosing the right options, can someone
advise me how to get older games that were notable for their scanlines,
say Pac Man, et al, to display with proper looking scanlines using the
modern releases of MAME32 and a typical LCD monitor?

Thanks, playing games like Joust without it doesn't feel right...

Venger

Andreas Kohlbach

Jan 19, 2008, 7:27:20 PM1/19/08
Venger wrote on 19. January 2008:

> In the olde days, MAME was easily configurable to utilize scanlines in
> it's display to mimic the CRT appearance caused by the raster scan.
>
> Now, it's freaking impossible it appears to make MAME look like the
> old video monitors of yore. I have tried without success to make this
> work.
>
> On the chance I am simply not choosing the right options, can someone
> advise me how to get older games that were notable for their
> scanlines, say Pac Man, et al, to display with proper looking
> scanlines using the modern releases of MAME32 and a typical LCD
> monitor?

On Linux I have

-effect / -ef <int> Video effect:
0 = none (default)
1 = scale2x (smooth scaling effect)
2 = lq2x (low quality filter)
3 = hq2x (high quality filter)
4 = 6tap2x (6-tap filter with
h-scanlines)
5 = scan2 (light scanlines)
6 = rgbscan (rgb scanlines)
7 = scan3 (deluxe scanlines)
8 = fakescan (black scanlines)

I think number 8 comes closest.

> Thanks, playing games like Joust without it doesn't feel right...

Agreed.
--
Andreas
Old school arcade classics at <http://www.ankman.de/mame/>

Brian Sturk

Jan 23, 2008, 10:30:36 PM1/23/08

I've been down this road for quite a while. Unfortunately you will
*never* get it too look as you remember on an LCD. There are some
things that just can't be emulated.

With a CRT and a hefty video card there are MAME options that can get
you sorta there but if you remember Joust like I do, it won't be the
same. In my MAME cab after years of having a PC monitor I put in a
multisync arcade monitor and the difference (when running at the
original resolution) is astounding.

~telengard

--
|-------------------------. bsturk<AT>comcast.net | Python |( _ _)/ /-."~