Half Life Multiplayer Problem - Can't connect

Chris

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
update update update
David Harvey wrote in message <36b275d...@news.ihug.co.nz>...
>I am trying to play multiplayer Half-Life using a LAN connection. I
>have two computers connected with ethernet cards through a hub.
>Both are setup for IPX/SPX, Netbui, TCP/IP and NDISWAN
>I use Wingate to enable one machine as a proxy server when connected
>to the internet.
>
>When I play Half-life on the LAN I am not connected to the Internet
>(thought I should say that).
>
>I set up the game and then get the other machine to join. I get a
>message "bad protocol" after each attempt to join the game.
>
>I guess I am doing something wrong because I can multiplay Quake,
>Quake 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 2, Diablo and Heroes of Might and Magic
>2.
>
>Can anyone help.
>
>Please e-mail me
>
>David Harvey
>djh...@ihug.co.nz

David Harvey

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99

Lars M. Hansen

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99

Lars M. Hansen

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:06:39 GMT, David Harvey spoketh

>I set up the game and then get the other machine to join. I get a
>message "bad protocol" after each attempt to join the game.

Bad protocol means you got the wrong version of HL.

You must have the same version as the server, which by now should be
1.0.0.8. Download the 1.0.0.8 patch from http://www.halflife.net and
you should have no more problems.

David Harvey

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
Thank you all for your assistance.
The problem was that one of the machines was using version 1.0.0.6 and
the other 1.0.0.8. I had done an auto upgrade on the *8 version and a
download upgrade of 1.0.0.6 on the other. Downloading the 6 to 8
upgrade solved the problem.
David Harvey

care...@mindspring.com

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Make sure you have the same subnet settings. I use 255.255.255.0, then as the
others have stated: use an IP address of something like 192.168.0.1, then the
next pc should be 192.168.0.2 and so forth. I have had problems with one
machine joining the game ever since I upgraded to 1008; it crashes when HL
tries to do its refresh of the lan servers. So I just go straight to the
console (start, run:hl.exe -console) and type (after hitting ~ key) connect
192.168.0.1. (The ip obviously is that of the pc hosting the game) Hope that
helps!

In article <78u0pn$87v$1...@remarQ.com>,

"Chris" <dickhe...@aol.com> wrote:
> update update update
> David Harvey wrote in message <36b275d...@news.ihug.co.nz>...

> >I am trying to play multiplayer Half-Life using a LAN connection. I
> >have two computers connected with ethernet cards through a hub.
> >Both are setup for IPX/SPX, Netbui, TCP/IP and NDISWAN
> >I use Wingate to enable one machine as a proxy server when connected
> >to the internet.
> >
> >When I play Half-life on the LAN I am not connected to the Internet
> >(thought I should say that).
> >

> >I set up the game and then get the other machine to join. I get a
> >message "bad protocol" after each attempt to join the game.
> >

> >I guess I am doing something wrong because I can multiplay Quake,
> >Quake 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 2, Diablo and Heroes of Might and Magic
> >2.
> >
> >Can anyone help.
> >
> >Please e-mail me
> >
> >David Harvey
> >djh...@ihug.co.nz

DVS Lurker

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
I don't think your machine crashes. I think its just opened up a Dial-Up
connection window in the background. Thats what happens with me.

care...@mindspring.com wrote in message
<7avpcp$jh0$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...