Discovery Channel's Top Ten Americans List

Christ Loves Bush

Jun 26, 2005, 10:19:00 PM6/26/05
Looks like the people in America know greatness when they see it. No wonder
the demoncrats can't win elections anymore. If this list is any indication
they may never win another election again. America loves the GOP.

The top 10 list of Greatest Americans as voted by America for
Discovery Channel's Greatest American

10. Franklin D. Roosevelt
9. Oprah Winfrey
8. Elvis
7. Bill Clinton
6. George W. Bush
5. Ben Franklin
4. George Washington
3. Martin Luther King
2. Abe Lincoln
1. Ronald Reagan

marty mcmahone

Jun 26, 2005, 10:33:44 PM6/26/05
That is one screwed up list.

"Christ Loves Bush" <2008Elec...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ron Olin

Jun 26, 2005, 10:37:13 PM6/26/05
Tesla wasn't listed?

"marty mcmahone" <mmcma...@hot.rr.com> wrote in message

David Loewe, Jr.

Jun 26, 2005, 10:37:12 PM6/26/05
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:19:00 -0400, "Christ Loves Bush"
<2008Elec...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I don't see any up and coming Republicans on that list who are going
to keep the Democrats from winning in the future...
--
"Get next to a clue and hope the wind blows, dude."
- Fitzbo

Larry Coon

Jun 26, 2005, 10:48:39 PM6/26/05
Ron Olin wrote:

> Tesla wasn't listed?

I think I saw the list of the original 100, and Tesla was a
glaring omission. Even bigger than that, they drew from all
fields, including music, and Louis Armstrong wasn't on the
list.

Larry Coon
University of California

The NBA Salary Cap FAQ:
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Tempest

Jun 26, 2005, 10:49:59 PM6/26/05
Ron Olin wrote:

> Tesla wasn't listed?

Where's Paris Hilton?

--
"Ignorance is an evil weed, which dictators may cultivate among their
dupes, but which no democracy can afford among its citizens."

Ron Olin

Jun 26, 2005, 10:56:21 PM6/26/05
The father of Alternating Current isn't "top ten American" material - but -
a two bit actor turned politician is?

What does this say about the intelligence of people watching the "Discovery
Channel"?

(funny that Republicans think Regan was responsible for defeating the
Russians) - when in FACT it was Muslims - INCLUDING OSAMA BIN LADEN)

WHAT A JOKE!

"Larry Coon" <lmcoon...@cox.net> wrote in message

Ron Olin

Jun 26, 2005, 10:59:18 PM6/26/05
Considering the "top ten" list - Tammy Faye Baker, Dolly Parton and Michael
Jackson should have been included.

"Tempest" <tem...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Christ Loves Bush

Jun 26, 2005, 11:05:51 PM6/26/05

"Ron Olin" <ron...@telus.net> wrote in message

> Considering the "top ten" list - Tammy Faye Baker, Dolly Parton and
Michael
> Jackson should have been included.

Michael Jackson did make the top 100

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/greatestamerican/top100/top100.html

As did Rush Limbaugh, Madonna, Laura Bush and you'll notice a few on the
list that aren't even American like Mel Gibson.

Ron Olin

Jun 26, 2005, 11:11:56 PM6/26/05
> Michael Jackson did make the top 100

That's just plain scary - he/she/it is BARELY human.

Chris Boyd

Jun 26, 2005, 11:36:59 PM6/26/05
Christ Loves Bush killed six kittens after typing this:

Holy fucksnot.

Delete 6-9, insert:

Thomas Edison
Alexander Graham Bell
Theodore Roosevelt
Thomas Jefferson

Reorder in a sane manner.

--
Chris Boyd
RSFC's 8 of Clubs

---
Still can't get enough? theu...@SPAM.IS.yahoo.SO.TRITE.com
---

Chris Boyd

Jun 26, 2005, 11:38:34 PM6/26/05
Chris Boyd killed six kittens after typing this:

> Christ Loves Bush killed six kittens after typing this:
>
>> Looks like the people in America know greatness when they see it. No
>> wonder the demoncrats can't win elections anymore. If this list is
>> any indication they may never win another election again. America
>> loves the GOP.
>>
>> The top 10 list of Greatest Americans as voted by America for
>> Discovery Channel's Greatest American
>>
>> 10. Franklin D. Roosevelt
>> 9. Oprah Winfrey
>> 8. Elvis
>> 7. Bill Clinton
>> 6. George W. Bush
>> 5. Ben Franklin
>> 4. George Washington
>> 3. Martin Luther King
>> 2. Abe Lincoln
>> 1. Ronald Reagan
>
> Holy fucksnot.
>
> Delete 6-9, insert:
>
> Thomas Edison
> Alexander Graham Bell
> Theodore Roosevelt
> Thomas Jefferson
>
> Reorder in a sane manner.

The more I think about it, delete Reagan, insert Alexander Hamilton.

RobH

Jun 26, 2005, 11:43:24 PM6/26/05
"Christ Loves Bush" <2008Elec...@yahoo.com> wrote in

Hmmmm, Elvis and Oprah are in the top 10 of the greatest Americans. Well
that tells you all you need to know about these American voters. I guess
this means Brad and Angelina will be the next President and Vice
President.

Tempest

Jun 26, 2005, 11:45:51 PM6/26/05

And leave Reagan as #1?

The president who brought us record deficits, the Iran/Contra scandal
and whose administration is the most corrupt in American history when
you count the number of convictions?

LOL!

macea...@astound.net

Jun 26, 2005, 11:59:53 PM6/26/05

Well that says a lot for the American educational system. Not much of
it good. Of that list of 10 I'd say you have 3 legitimate ones,
Washington,
Lincoln, and Franklin. You could argue Roosevelt although IMHO Teddy
would
be a better choice. You could argue King although personally I would go
with Fredrick Douglas first. The rest just show what idiots we
sometimes
have who watch and vote in such nonsense.

Bruce Olin

Jun 27, 2005, 12:08:04 AM6/27/05
The Republicans could learn from the hatchet job Edison did on Tesla... The
real low point was that damned Superman cartoon from the '30s where they
used Tesla as the mad scientist... About the worst PR imaginable. Glad to
hear somebody else thinks he belongs at the top of the list. Einstein
didn't make it either, I notice. I think they both were US citizens.

Bruce Olin

"Ron Olin" <ron...@telus.net> wrote in message

John Effty

Jun 27, 2005, 12:40:35 AM6/27/05

> And leave Reagan as #1?
>
> The president who brought us record deficits, the Iran/Contra scandal and
> whose administration is the most corrupt in American history when you
> count the number of convictions?
>
> LOL!

Corruption seems to be very American. Very corrupt = Very American!

God Bless Us!

-John

Jordan

Jun 27, 2005, 12:45:50 AM6/27/05
The preponderance of 20th century personalities shows just how ignorant
our country has become. Off hand I'd say "If they're still alive or
died in the 21st Century then they aren't the greatest American. Not
even close."

Of the top 10 only these are worthy:

10. Franklin D. Roosevelt

5. Ben Franklin
4. George Washington
3. Martin Luther King
2. Abe Lincoln

To these 5 we need to add Edison, Jefferson, Henry Ford, Lewis and
Clark (if the Wright Brothers get one entry then Lewis and Clark do
too...) and my controversial entry - William Randolph Hearst.

My list breaks down like this:

1. Franklin - Invented the public Library, the fire department, the
police department, popularized newspapers and almanacs. Other people
created or saved our country, Franklin made our country worth living
in.

2. Edison - Took Franklin's identification of lightning as electricity
to the next level. Invented modern media as we know it. Without his
invention of film we wouldn't have a national chain of theaters or even
television. The electric light made it possible for me to stay up late
even writing this.

3. FDR - One of 3 leaders who saved the world in the 20th Century.
Churchill isn't eligible, obviously. Neither is Stalin, also obviously.
He brought the country out of the Great Depression and defeated fascism
all from the seat of a wheelchair.

4. Lincoln - Prevented our country from tearing itself apart. 'Nuff
Said.

5. Henry Ford - His assembly line technology made the moden economy
possible. His treatment of employees far exceeded that of the
industrial revolution. The motor car made the interstate highway system
inevitable. Modern commerce wouldn't exist without Ford's contribution.

6. Jefferson - Unparalleled involvement in the authorship of the
documents that define our country. Author of the Federalist Papers.

7. George Washington - Father of the country. DUH!

8. Martin Luther King - The cool head in the 60s civil rights movement.
Presented an alternative to the more radical Malcolm X/Black Panther
movements. Put an American face on the message of Peace previously
brought by the likes of Ghandi and Christ.

9. Lewis and Clark - Opened the West. Made the East realize what was
out here, established a civil, humane contact with the Native American
populations.

10. William Randolph Hearst - Took media content and ownership to the
next level. Everything that we expect to see on the evening news, in
the paper or on Fox News was, in fact, invented by Hearst.

Jordan

Jun 27, 2005, 12:47:44 AM6/27/05
Tesla wasn't American. Was he?

http://www.neuronet.pitt.edu/~bogdan/tesla/

Nikola Tesla
The Serbian-American inventor, electrical engineer, and scientist

Born on July 9/10, 1856 in Smiljan, Lika (Austria-Hungary)
Died on January 7, 1943 in New York City, New York (USA)

- Jordan

Jordan

Jun 27, 2005, 12:52:31 AM6/27/05
Einstein became a citizen, but most of his accomplishments were made
when he wasn't. Most Americans give him the credit for ushering in the
Nuclear age, when in fact it was more in the hands of Oppenheimer (also
missing from the list.)

- Jordan

Charles Beauchamp

Jun 27, 2005, 1:03:06 AM6/27/05

The list is scewed by the fact that it is known that Republicans are rich
and so they got cable and that there internet web thingy and Democrats
don't.
--
"I call on those who question the motives of the President and his
national security advisors to join with the rest of America in

v/r Beau

Submariner

Jun 27, 2005, 1:10:48 AM6/27/05

"Jordan" <lu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Credit or blame?

Submariner

Jun 27, 2005, 1:13:13 AM6/27/05

> "Ron Olin" <ron...@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Considering the "top ten" list - Tammy Faye Baker, Dolly Parton and
> Michael
>> Jackson should have been included.
>
> Michael Jackson did make the top 100
>
> http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/greatestamerican/top100/top100.html
>
> As did Rush Limbaugh, Madonna, Laura Bush and you'll notice a few on the
> list that aren't even American like Mel Gibson.

I bet you voted for David Koresh, Eric Rudolph, and Tim McVeigh.

Chris Boyd

Jun 27, 2005, 1:14:06 AM6/27/05
Tempest killed six kittens after typing this:

Look at my second reply, assbeef. At first glance I didn't expect
anyone to put him at 1 either.

Have a pleasant evening.

PeterL

Jun 27, 2005, 1:19:22 AM6/27/05

Tempest wrote:
> Ron Olin wrote:
>

> > Tesla wasn't listed?
>

> Where's Paris Hilton?

In...Paris?

Alson Wong

Jun 27, 2005, 1:49:20 AM6/27/05

> 6. Jefferson - Unparalleled involvement in the authorship of the
> documents that define our country. Author of the Federalist Papers.

Jefferson did not write the Federalist Papers. His political archrival,
Alexander Hamilton, did, along with James Madison and John Jay.

Glen Heiman

Jun 27, 2005, 3:17:44 AM6/27/05

> "Ron Olin" <ron...@telus.net> wrote in message
> > Considering the "top ten" list - Tammy Faye Baker, Dolly Parton and
> Michael
> > Jackson should have been included.
>
> Michael Jackson did make the top 100
>
> http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/greatestamerican/top100/top100.html
>
> As did Rush Limbaugh, Madonna, Laura Bush and you'll notice a few on the
> list that aren't even American like Mel Gibson.

Gibson renounced his citizenship?

cite?

Heiman

Roger

Jun 27, 2005, 4:07:17 AM6/27/05
Fucking liberal media!!!

Roger

Jun 27, 2005, 4:11:15 AM6/27/05
> Ron Olin wrote:
>
>> Tesla wasn't listed?
>
> I think I saw the list of the original 100, and Tesla was a
> glaring omission. Even bigger than that, they drew from all
> fields, including music, and Louis Armstrong wasn't on the
> list.

Condolezza Rice is on the list but no Duke Ellington.

Steve Jobs is but no Thomas Paine.

Fucking shit list.

Jordan

Jun 27, 2005, 5:22:31 AM6/27/05
You are, of course, correct. I was attempting to reference his own
papers which were so voluminuous and it came out as "Federalist". I
don't know what got into me. I also forgot to mention the Louisiana
Purchase which doubled the size of our country and took it from the
hands of the French.

- Jordan

Odin

Jun 27, 2005, 8:08:26 AM6/27/05
Ron Olin wrote:
> Tesla wasn't listed?

That's because Tesla was Canadian.

Roger

Jun 27, 2005, 8:16:57 AM6/27/05
"Odin" <invali...@aerojockey.com> wrote in message

> Ron Olin wrote:
>> Tesla wasn't listed?
>
> That's because Tesla was Canadian.

Not American but not Canadian either.

Jeremey Wilson

Jun 27, 2005, 8:18:36 AM6/27/05

"Alson Wong" <ra...@yahoo.com.b_l_o_c_k> wrote in message

Well... he wrote the Constitution, at least.

--
Jeremey

Jeremey Wilson

Jun 27, 2005, 8:18:36 AM6/27/05

> Ron Olin wrote:
>
> > Tesla wasn't listed?
>
> I think I saw the list of the original 100, and Tesla was a
> glaring omission. Even bigger than that, they drew from all
> fields, including music, and Louis Armstrong wasn't on the
> list.

I don't know -- "Mechanical Resonance" was good, but not "Greatest
American" good, IMHO, and they'd pretty much said all they had to say by
"Bust a Nut". Anthrax (w/ Joey Belladonna) deserves more consideration
in my judgment.

--
Jeremey

Odin

Jun 27, 2005, 8:26:19 AM6/27/05

Just because he was French Canadian doesn't mean he wasn't a real
Canadian.

Dennis

Jun 27, 2005, 9:01:30 AM6/27/05
"Christ Loves Bush" <2008Elec...@yahoo.com> You're digging it
round, when it aughta Be SQUARE

>Looks like the people in America know greatness when they see it. No wonder
>the demoncrats can't win elections anymore. If this list is any indication
>they may never win another election again. America loves the GOP.
>
>The top 10 list of Greatest Americans as voted by America for
>Discovery Channel's Greatest American
>
>10. Franklin D. Roosevelt
>9. Oprah Winfrey
>8. Elvis
>7. Bill Clinton
>6. George W. Bush
>5. Ben Franklin
>4. George Washington
>3. Martin Luther King
>2. Abe Lincoln
>1. Ronald Reagan

ronald reagan was half the Amercan George washington or Lincoln were.

--
"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfeld
"Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" - Will Durant

btpag...@yahoo.com

Jun 27, 2005, 9:07:52 AM6/27/05
What a terrible list. In no particular order....

John Adams
Alexander Hamilton
George Washington
Ben Franklin
John Jay
James Madison
Abraham Lincoln
Theodore Roosevelt
FDR
Patton

And truthfully, 10 is way too short of a list. There are well more
than 10 that deserve inclusion from the Revolution time period alone.
John Hancock, Paul Revere, Patrick Henry, etc

Dennis

Jun 27, 2005, 10:46:26 AM6/27/05
btpag...@yahoo.com You're digging it round, when it aughta Be SQUARE

reagan was a good president, but when the list had Clinton and GW on
it, I felt sickened, when Reagan made the top 5 I knew there was a
concerted effort to skew the results, GW was #6 on thier tally.
Dittoheads do have power.

btpag...@yahoo.com

Jun 27, 2005, 11:32:38 AM6/27/05
Dennis said:
>reagan was a good president, but when the list had Clinton and GW on
>it, I felt sickened, when Reagan made the top 5 I knew there was a
>concerted effort to skew the results, GW was #6 on thier tally.
>Dittoheads do have power.

No kidding. The fact that names would be included where we've had
absolutely NO time to evaluate their contributions makes it a bit of a
farce.

Brent

Larry Coon

Jun 27, 2005, 12:06:07 PM6/27/05

Aaron Ginn

Jun 27, 2005, 1:41:04 PM6/27/05
RobH <R...@aol.com> writes:

> "Christ Loves Bush" <2008Elec...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> > Looks like the people in America know greatness when they see it. No
> > wonder the demoncrats can't win elections anymore. If this list is any
> > indication they may never win another election again. America loves
> > the GOP.
> >
> > The top 10 list of Greatest Americans as voted by America for
> > Discovery Channel's Greatest American
> >
> > 10. Franklin D. Roosevelt
> > 9. Oprah Winfrey
> > 8. Elvis
> > 7. Bill Clinton
> > 6. George W. Bush
> > 5. Ben Franklin
> > 4. George Washington
> > 3. Martin Luther King
> > 2. Abe Lincoln
> > 1. Ronald Reagan
> >

> Hmmmm, Elvis and Oprah are in the top 10 of the greatest Americans. Well
> that tells you all you need to know about these American voters. I guess
> this means Brad and Angelina will be the next President and Vice
> President.

At least Oprah or Elvis didn't kill anyone, which is more than I can
say for at least half the people in the top ten.

--
"Any man more right than his neighbors constitutes a majority of one."
-- Henry David Thoreau

Tom Enright

Jun 27, 2005, 1:58:25 PM6/27/05

Aaron Ginn, I'd respond to you, but then I won't be watching TV, you
can see the bind I'm in:

> At least Oprah or Elvis didn't kill anyone, which is more
> than I can say for at least half the people in the top ten.

Yea, but some of them needed killin'

-Tom Enright

Aaron Ginn

Jun 27, 2005, 1:42:35 PM6/27/05
"Jeremey Wilson" <noaddre...@yahoo.com> writes:

Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?

--
"There is danger in all men. The only maxim of a free government ought
to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty."

Lamont Cranston

Jun 27, 2005, 2:07:58 PM6/27/05
Aaron Ginn wrote:

> "Jeremey Wilson" <noaddre...@yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>"Alson Wong" <ra...@yahoo.com.b_l_o_c_k> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Jordan" <lu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>Jefferson did not write the Federalist Papers. His political
>>
>>archrival,
>>
>>>Alexander Hamilton, did, along with James Madison and John Jay.
>>
>>Well... he wrote the Constitution, at least.
>

> Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?

It's for sure that you did. James Madison is the Father of the U.S.
Constitution. John Hancock wrote not one line of it.

Jeremey

Jun 27, 2005, 2:13:05 PM6/27/05
in article snmzpb8...@gmail.com, Aaron Ginn at aaron...@gmail.com
wrote on 6/27/05 1:42 PM:

> "Jeremey Wilson" <noaddre...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> "Alson Wong" <ra...@yahoo.com.b_l_o_c_k> wrote in message
>>> "Jordan" <lu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Jefferson did not write the Federalist Papers. His political
>> archrival,
>>> Alexander Hamilton, did, along with James Madison and John Jay.
>>
>> Well... he wrote the Constitution, at least.
>
> Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?

No, Hancock wrote de Tocqueville, I'm pretty sure.

--
Jeremey

Dennis

Jun 27, 2005, 2:17:41 PM6/27/05
btpag...@yahoo.com You're digging it round, when it aughta Be SQUARE

>Dennis said:

Popularity contest...

Aaron Ginn

Jun 27, 2005, 2:47:44 PM6/27/05
Lamont Cranston <Lam...@TheShadow.com> writes:

Please. Why did he get to sign it first then? And in giant letters
to boot?

Aaron Ginn

Jun 27, 2005, 2:43:48 PM6/27/05
"Tom Enright" <freddy...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Aaron Ginn, I'd respond to you, but then I won't be watching TV, you
> can see the bind I'm in:
>
> > At least Oprah or Elvis didn't kill anyone, which is more
> > than I can say for at least half the people in the top ten.
>
> Yea, but some of them needed killin'

Thanks, God.

--
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."
-- Ambrose Bierce

Jeff Mayner

Jun 27, 2005, 3:09:45 PM6/27/05
Christ Loves Bush wrote:
> Looks like the people in America know greatness when they see it. No
> wonder the demoncrats can't win elections anymore. If this list is
> any indication they may never win another election again. America
> loves the GOP.
>
> The top 10 list of Greatest Americans as voted by America for
> Discovery Channel's Greatest American
>
> 10. Franklin D. Roosevelt

Dem

> 9. Oprah Winfrey

Dem

> 8. Elvis

Who the hell cares? ;-)

> 7. Bill Clinton

Dem

> 6. George W. Bush

Idiot

> 5. Ben Franklin

Progressive

> 4. George Washington

Progressive

> 3. Martin Luther King

Dem-like ;-)

> 2. Abe Lincoln

Repub when the Repubs were Dems.

> 1. Ronald Reagan

Diaper wearer, figurehead, flip-flopped from Dem to Repub when it suited
him. Also, he named names in the 50's to save his own worthless hide during
the red scare.

Jeff Mayner

Jun 27, 2005, 3:10:47 PM6/27/05
Larry Coon wrote:
> Ron Olin wrote:
>
>> Tesla wasn't listed?
>
> I think I saw the list of the original 100, and Tesla was a
> glaring omission. Even bigger than that, they drew from all
> fields, including music, and Louis Armstrong wasn't on the
> list.

I saw part of the first show and I do believe tesla was mentioned. He was
given short-shrift and deemed a kook though.

Lamont Cranston

Jun 27, 2005, 3:16:59 PM6/27/05
Aaron Ginn wrote:

> Lamont Cranston <Lam...@TheShadow.com> writes:
>

>>Aaron Ginn wrote:

>>>Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?
>>

>>It's for sure that you did. James Madison is the Father of the
>>U.S. Constitution. John Hancock wrote not one line of it.
>

> Please. Why did he get to sign it first then? And in giant letters
> to boot?

He was first in line at the signing. He didn't write any of it.

Message has been deleted

Lamont Cranston

Jun 27, 2005, 3:22:17 PM6/27/05
Aaron Ginn wrote:

> Lamont Cranston <Lam...@TheShadow.com> writes:
>

>>Aaron Ginn wrote:

>>>Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?
>>

>>It's for sure that you did. James Madison is the Father of the
>>U.S. Constitution. John Hancock wrote not one line of it.
>

> Please. Why did he get to sign it first then? And in giant letters
> to boot?

Uhhh, that was the Declaration of Independence, dude. He didn't write
it either; Thomas Jefferson did.

Dennis

Jun 27, 2005, 4:36:07 PM6/27/05
"Jeff Mayner" <jeffm...@yahoo.com> You're digging it round, when it
aughta Be SQUARE

>Christ Loves Bush wrote:

and WHO was his wife before Nancy?

and wasn't NANCY THE "OTHER WOMAN" for a while?

Aaron Ginn

Jun 27, 2005, 4:11:42 PM6/27/05
Lamont Cranston <Lam...@TheShadow.com> writes:

Dood, I think you are seriously confused. Thomas Jefferson wrote a
bunch of pamflets called Common Sense.

Where did you go to school, anyway?

Jack Straw

Jun 27, 2005, 4:44:23 PM6/27/05
Aaron Ginn <aaron...@gmail.com> wrote in

i hope you are just kidding around because 'common sense' was written by
thomas paine, not thomas jefferson. so tell us where you went to school
dood.

Larry Coon

Jun 27, 2005, 5:17:36 PM6/27/05
Jack Straw wrote:

> i hope you are just kidding around because 'common sense' was written by
> thomas paine, not thomas jefferson. so tell us where you went to school
> dood.

Ahh, Thomas Paine...inventor of the window.

Jack Straw

Jun 27, 2005, 5:20:03 PM6/27/05
Larry Coon <lmcoon...@cox.net> wrote in news:42C06C...@cox.net:

> Jack Straw wrote:
>
>> i hope you are just kidding around because 'common sense' was written by
>> thomas paine, not thomas jefferson. so tell us where you went to school
>> dood.
>
> Ahh, Thomas Paine...inventor of the window.

did you know his fourth cousin five-times removed was thomas otis, inventor
of the elevator?

Larry Coon

Jun 27, 2005, 5:24:37 PM6/27/05
Jack Straw wrote:

> did you know his fourth cousin five-times removed was thomas otis, inventor
> of the elevator?

It is a little-known fact that there was no actual Thomas Otis.
That name was simply a play on words, coming from "thoma sotis,"
which of course is Latin for "keep hands and feet clear."

Aaron Ginn

Jun 27, 2005, 5:11:22 PM6/27/05
Jack Straw <jack...@wichita.edu> writes:

Darn, I'm all out of bate. I suck.

--
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
-- H. L. Mencken

Jack Straw

Jun 27, 2005, 5:27:08 PM6/27/05
Larry Coon <lmcoon...@cox.net> wrote in news:42C06E...@cox.net:

> Jack Straw wrote:
>
>> did you know his fourth cousin five-times removed was thomas otis,
>> inventor of the elevator?
>
> It is a little-known fact that there was no actual Thomas Otis.
> That name was simply a play on words, coming from "thoma sotis,"
> which of course is Latin for "keep hands and feet clear."

that is funny because the latin phrase 'stroma throtis' means to strangle
someone until they suffocate.

Rob Browning

Jun 27, 2005, 5:57:09 PM6/27/05
On 26 Jun 2005 21:47:44 -0700, "Jordan" <lu...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Tesla wasn't American. Was he?

If Mel Gibson and Albert Einstein are American, then Tesla is.

Rob
ploovTeHS...@charter.net

--

Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

"These days all the war games are like 'man down, we need an artillery
strike, bla bla bla.' Where is my version of the invasion of Iraq
where Saddam is a hundred feet tall and shooting ghosts out of his
head or where Afghanistan is defended by a dragon that drops eggs on
you?"
--Zack "Geist Editor" Parsons, Fashion SWAT "Retro SWAT 4"

Rob Browning

Jun 27, 2005, 6:09:39 PM6/27/05
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:18:36 GMT, "Jeremey Wilson"
<noaddre...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Larry Coon" <lmcoon...@cox.net> wrote in message

>> Ron Olin wrote:
>>
>> > Tesla wasn't listed?
>>
>> I think I saw the list of the original 100, and Tesla was a
>> glaring omission. Even bigger than that, they drew from all
>> fields, including music, and Louis Armstrong wasn't on the
>> list.
>

>I don't know -- "Mechanical Resonance" was good, but not "Greatest
>American" good, IMHO, and they'd pretty much said all they had to say by
>"Bust a Nut". Anthrax (w/ Joey Belladonna) deserves more consideration
>in my judgment.

I was waiting for someone to make that joke.

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 27, 2005, 6:10:05 PM6/27/05
Rob Browning wrote:
>>Tesla wasn't American. Was he?
> If Mel Gibson and Albert Einstein are American, then Tesla is.

Unless my pointless-trivia-alert is failing me, isn't Mel Gibson
American-born?

--
Jonathan McArthur

Rob Browning

Jun 27, 2005, 6:11:47 PM6/27/05
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:03:06 -0700, "Charles Beauchamp"
<C.E.Be...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:

>Christ Loves Bush wrote:
>> Looks like the people in America know greatness when they see it. No
>> wonder the demoncrats can't win elections anymore. If this list is
>> any indication they may never win another election again. America
>> loves the GOP.
>>
>> The top 10 list of Greatest Americans as voted by America for
>> Discovery Channel's Greatest American
>>
>> 10. Franklin D. Roosevelt

>> 9. Oprah Winfrey
>> 8. Elvis
>> 7. Bill Clinton
>> 6. George W. Bush
>> 5. Ben Franklin
>> 4. George Washington
>> 3. Martin Luther King
>> 2. Abe Lincoln
>> 1. Ronald Reagan
>

>The list is scewed by the fact that it is known that Republicans are rich
>and so they got cable and that there internet web thingy and Democrats
>don't.

Maybe it's because AOL handled the voting, and we all know the type of
people who use AOL.

Rob (I keed... or do I?)

Rob Browning

Jun 27, 2005, 6:18:05 PM6/27/05
On 27 Jun 2005 14:11:22 -0700, Aaron Ginn <aaron...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Come on, don't give up now. Tell us about how Aaron Burr wrote the
Mayflower Compact.

Rob

Rob Browning

Jun 27, 2005, 6:19:35 PM6/27/05

Huh. Oh well, whatever.

Dave Zero

Jun 27, 2005, 6:39:04 PM6/27/05
PeterL wrote:

> Tempest wrote:
>> Ron Olin wrote:
>>

>>> Tesla wasn't listed?
>>

>> Where's Paris Hilton?
>
> In...Paris?

That's where I'd like to be!

--
Dave Zero

"And I don't care about making an ass out of myself because most people
already realize I am one." - Dr. Kary B. Mullis

"I criticize by creation" - Cicero

"I'm not here to make people happy. I prefer to piss people off." - Liam
Gallagher

Roger

Jun 27, 2005, 6:54:02 PM6/27/05
> Roger wrote:
>> "Odin" <invali...@aerojockey.com> wrote in message

>> > That's because Tesla was Canadian.
>>
>> Not American but not Canadian either.
>
> Just because he was French Canadian doesn't mean he wasn't a real
> Canadian.

Fool.

Dan Bretta

Jun 27, 2005, 6:59:04 PM6/27/05

Bruce Olin wrote:
> The Republicans could learn from the hatchet job Edison did on Tesla... The
> real low point was that damned Superman cartoon from the '30s where they
> used Tesla as the mad scientist... About the worst PR imaginable. Glad to
> hear somebody else thinks he belongs at the top of the list. Einstein
> didn't make it either, I notice. I think they both were US citizens.

He was talking about the heavy metal rock group from the 80's, not some
dumn cartoon character.

Dan

Mithra

Jun 27, 2005, 7:39:10 PM6/27/05

> Jack Straw wrote:
>
>> i hope you are just kidding around because 'common sense' was written by
>> thomas paine, not thomas jefferson. so tell us where you went to school
>> dood.
>
> Ahh, Thomas Paine...inventor of the window.

The phrase "pain in the ass" has been traced to
Thomas Paine while in his workshop fell
backward onto a widow thus sitting on it injuring
his ass.

Jeremey Wilson

Jun 27, 2005, 7:52:17 PM6/27/05

"Mithra" <mit...@institute.dam> wrote in message

It?! "Eine Witwe ist kein Ding", is I think the phrase. Was the widow
okay?

--
Jeremey

Larry Coon

Jun 27, 2005, 8:30:02 PM6/27/05
Mithra wrote:

> The phrase "pain in the ass" has been traced to
> Thomas Paine while in his workshop fell
> backward onto a widow thus sitting on it injuring
> his ass.

Poor donkey.

Bruce Olin

Jun 27, 2005, 9:14:05 PM6/27/05

"Dan Bretta" <nud...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Although you are probably pulling my leg, the sad fact is that more people
have heard of the rock group than the man who invented the 20th Century.
And got nothing but fucked over for his efforts.

http://www.teslasociety.com/biography.htm

Andy Weaks

Jun 27, 2005, 9:56:03 PM6/27/05

uh, no, aussie

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 27, 2005, 10:14:45 PM6/27/05
Andy Weaks wrote:
>>> If Mel Gibson and Albert Einstein are American, then Tesla is.
>> Unless my pointless-trivia-alert is failing me, isn't Mel Gibson
>> American-born?
> uh, no, aussie

Doi.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/

--
Jonathan McArthur

Jim Brown

Jun 28, 2005, 1:48:20 AM6/28/05

"Dennis" <drju...@verizon.netSCRAPE.com> wrote in message
> btpag...@yahoo.com You're digging it round, when it aughta Be SQUARE
>
> >Dennis said:
> >>reagan was a good president, but when the list had Clinton and GW on
> >>it, I felt sickened, when Reagan made the top 5 I knew there was a
> >>concerted effort to skew the results, GW was #6 on thier tally.
> >>Dittoheads do have power.
> >
> >No kidding. The fact that names would be included where we've had
> >absolutely NO time to evaluate their contributions makes it a bit of a
> >farce.
> >
> >Brent
>
> Popularity contest...

Worse than that...name recognition contest.

JoeG

Jun 28, 2005, 2:11:39 AM6/28/05
Christ Loves Bush wrote:
> Looks like the people in America know greatness when they see it. No wonder
> the demoncrats can't win elections anymore. If this list is any indication
> they may never win another election again. America loves the GOP.
>
> The top 10 list of Greatest Americans as voted by America for
> Discovery Channel's Greatest American
>
> 10. Franklin D. Roosevelt
> 9. Oprah Winfrey
> 8. Elvis
> 7. Bill Clinton
> 6. George W. Bush
> 5. Ben Franklin
> 4. George Washington
> 3. Martin Luther King
> 2. Abe Lincoln
> 1. Ronald Reagan

It's obvious the 1990-2005 year bias here -- ELvis, Oprah, Clinton etc
are hardly on any REAL top 10 list of great Americans --

G. Washington (founder, 1st Pres, Crossing etc)
Abe Lincoln - got us through our country's greatest trial - Civil War
FDR - led us through the depression, WWII etc
Patton, Eisenhour, Bradley, Douglas McArthur etc..

Swillabrew

Jun 28, 2005, 2:29:50 AM6/28/05
"Rob Browning" <pluv...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Yeah, Aaron. You'll never become a master-bater if you don't keep trying.
: )

Go Blazers !

Leighton

Jun 28, 2005, 4:38:37 AM6/28/05

"Andy Weaks" <aw...@labyrinth.vet> wrote in message

Definetely not. Just schooled and started out here.

Leighton.

Dennis

Jun 28, 2005, 8:57:11 AM6/28/05
"Jim Brown" <ji...@wells.net> You're digging it round, when it aughta
Be SQUARE

>"Dennis" <drju...@verizon.netSCRAPE.com> wrote in message
>> btpag...@yahoo.com You're digging it round, when it aughta Be SQUARE

>> >No kidding. The fact that names would be included where we've had
>> >absolutely NO time to evaluate their contributions makes it a bit of a
>> >farce.
>> >
>> >Brent
>>
>> Popularity contest...
>

>Worse than that...name recognition contest.

yeah I watched the show where they "debated" for the top 5, and the
Reagan guy was Indian (Hindu type) and he seemed to try and say that
Reagan was the greatest American for believing in the American people.
SO by that logic, WTF was Washington doing, HE at least put his life
on the line for those beliefs.

Lamont Cranston

Jun 28, 2005, 10:58:16 AM6/28/05
Aaron Ginn wrote:

That was Thomas Paine.

> Where did you go to school, anyway?

Obviously, you never attended school at all because you are dumber than
dogshit. Read the following if it isn't beyond your mental capacity.

www.ushistory.org/declaration/signers/jefferson.htm

"In 1776 Jefferson, then a member of the committee to draft a
declaration of independence, was chosen by the committee to write the
draft. This he did, with some minor corrections from James Madison and
an embellishment from •Franklin, the document was offered to the
Congress on the first day of July. The congress modified it somewhat,
abbreviating certain wording and removing points that were outside of
general agreement. The Declaration was adopted on the Fourth of July."

Oh, and by the way: *plonk*

Jeremey

Jun 28, 2005, 11:32:11 AM6/28/05
in article cAdwe.16964$26....@chiapp18.algx.net, Lamont Cranston at
Lam...@TheShadow.com wrote on 6/28/05 10:58 AM:

> "In 1776 Jefferson, then a member of the committee to draft a
> declaration of independence, was chosen by the committee to write the
> draft. This he did, with some minor corrections from James Madison and
> an embellishment from €Franklin, the document was offered to the
> Congress on the first day of July. The congress modified it somewhat,
> abbreviating certain wording and removing points that were outside of
> general agreement. The Declaration was adopted on the Fourth of July."

You have no idea what you're talking about. That's revisionist history.
#1, no one can prove that Thomas Jefferson actually existed; cutting-edge
historians posit that the works generally credited to "Thomas Jefferson" are
actually the work of Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Clemens, or even Saint-Simon.
#2, I have read the Declaration of Independence, and there are no
abbreviations in it AT ALL, so obviously the document in question is not the
Declaration of Independence, since "the congress abbreviated certain
wording". #3, how could they possibly adopt what you seem to think is the
Declaration of Independence on the Fourth of July? All government offices
are *closed* on the Fourth of July, fool.

So don't think you're so smart.

--
Jeremey

Dennis

Jun 28, 2005, 12:29:00 PM6/28/05
"Jim Brown" <ji...@wells.net> You're digging it round, when it aughta
Be SQUARE

>"Dennis" <drju...@verizon.netSCRAPE.com> wrote in message
>> btpag...@yahoo.com You're digging it round, when it aughta Be SQUARE

>> >No kidding. The fact that names would be included where we've had
>> >absolutely NO time to evaluate their contributions makes it a bit of a
>> >farce.
>> >
>> >Brent
>>
>> Popularity contest...
>

>Worse than that...name recognition contest.

so upon further review that poll has a dumb-ass bias?

Aaron Ginn

Jun 28, 2005, 12:40:28 PM6/28/05
Lamont Cranston <Lam...@TheShadow.com> writes:

Anybody can fake a website.

state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."
-- Thomas Paine

Aaron Ginn

Jun 28, 2005, 12:41:24 PM6/28/05
Lamont Cranston <Lam...@TheShadow.com> writes:

> an embellishment from 彦ranklin, the document was offered to the

> Congress on the first day of July. The congress modified it somewhat,
> abbreviating certain wording and removing points that were outside of
> general agreement. The Declaration was adopted on the Fourth of July."
>

> Oh, and by the way: *plonk*

"IT'S A BIG ONE, BOYS!!!"

--
"There is danger in all men. The only maxim of a free government ought
to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty."
-- John Adams

Rob Browning

Jun 28, 2005, 3:47:05 PM6/28/05

You might want to go to the shop to get your irony meter checked.

number6

Jun 28, 2005, 3:45:09 PM6/28/05

Dave Zero wrote:
> PeterL wrote:
> > Tempest wrote:

> >> Where's Paris Hilton?
> >
> > In...Paris?
>
> That's where I'd like to be!

No sloppy seconds there ... more like turbid thousandths ...

Larry Coon

Jun 28, 2005, 4:42:28 PM6/28/05
Jeremey wrote:

> #3, how could they possibly adopt what you seem to think is the
> Declaration of Independence on the Fourth of July? All government offices
> are *closed* on the Fourth of July, fool.

1776 was a leap year. The fourth actually fell on the third.

E-Man

Jun 28, 2005, 6:35:59 PM6/28/05

"Aaron Ginn" <aaron...@gmail.com> wrote

> Dood, I think you are seriously confused. Thomas Jefferson wrote a
> bunch of pamflets called Common Sense.
>
> Where did you go to school, anyway?

Probably went to school somewhere that spells it "pamphlets."

Jeremey Wilson

Jun 28, 2005, 6:48:10 PM6/28/05

"Larry Coon" <lcno...@assist.org> wrote in message

> Jeremey wrote:
>
> > #3, how could they possibly adopt what you seem to think is the
> > Declaration of Independence on the Fourth of July? All government
offices
> > are *closed* on the Fourth of July, fool.
>
> 1776 was a leap year. The fourth actually fell on the third.

Well, sure. Under the Gregorian calendar...

--
Jeremey

mr. gone

Jun 28, 2005, 7:17:49 PM6/28/05

Jeremey wrote:
> in article cAdwe.16964$26....@chiapp18.algx.net, Lamont Cranston at
> Lam...@TheShadow.com wrote on 6/28/05 10:58 AM:
>

> > "In 1776 Jefferson, then a member of the committee to draft a
> > declaration of independence, was chosen by the committee to write the
> > draft. This he did, with some minor corrections from James Madison and
> > an embellishment from €Franklin, the document was offered to the
> > Congress on the first day of July. The congress modified it somewhat,
> > abbreviating certain wording and removing points that were outside of
> > general agreement. The Declaration was adopted on the Fourth of July."
> >>

> You have no idea what you're talking about. That's revisionist history.
> #1, no one can prove that Thomas Jefferson actually existed; cutting-edge
> historians posit that the works generally credited to "Thomas Jefferson" are
> actually the work of Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Clemens, or even Saint-Simon.

he has an awful lot of "descendants" of various racial makeups running
around...

> #3, how could they possibly adopt what you seem to think is the
> Declaration of Independence on the Fourth of July? All government offices
> are *closed* on the Fourth of July, fool.

uh, kind of hard to have government offices closed when there is no
government to begin with. i thought the d of i was the start of
developing a government in the u.s. free of british sovreignty. kinda
makes sense to have a government holiday *after* an event like this,
right? but why would they have a holiday on july 4 before issuing a
document like this?

mind you, i'm no historian. i'm just trying to figure out why there
would have been a government holiday before there was a government.

Aaron Ginn

Jun 28, 2005, 7:19:51 PM6/28/05
"E-Man" <eric_h...@comcast.net> writes:

Where? Phrance?

--
"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and
nobody wants to read."

Dennis

Jun 29, 2005, 6:18:09 AM6/29/05
"PeterL" <po....@gmail.com> You're digging it round, when it aughta
Be SQUARE

>Tempest wrote:
>> Ron Olin wrote:
>>

>> > Tesla wasn't listed?
>>

>> Where's Paris Hilton?
>
>In...Paris?

no ON Paris please keep uyp with the sex lives of dumb celebrities...

Chainsaw

Jul 5, 2005, 10:46:17 AM7/5/05

Christ Loves Bush wrote:

> "Ron Olin" <ron...@telus.net> wrote in message
>
>>Considering the "top ten" list - Tammy Faye Baker, Dolly Parton and
>
> Michael
>
>>Jackson should have been included.
>

> Michael Jackson did make the top 100
>
> http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/greatestamerican/top100/top100.html
>
> As did Rush Limbaugh, Madonna, Laura Bush and you'll notice a few on the
> list that aren't even American like Mel Gibson.

Jesus, most people are STOOOOPID. If the idiots who vote for Mel
Gibson don't know that he's not American, then thankfully we can
conclude that the whole list was created by the votes of idiots.
Reagan number one???!?!? Jesus Fucking Christ.

Bugman

Jul 5, 2005, 3:24:06 PM7/5/05

"Chainsaw" <lo...@last.net> wrote in message

Mel Gibson was born January 3rd 1956 in Peekskill, New York. I don't think
he renounced his citizenship.