I picked up the new Radiohead CD...

Balthasar

Jun 25, 2003, 3:18:42 AM6/25/03
And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since. Great
album.

Balthasar
--
Life contains but two tragedies. One is not to get your heart's desire; the
other is to get it.

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme
excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."
-Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Homyguy Z

Jun 25, 2003, 3:22:54 AM6/25/03

"Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu> wrote in message

> And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since. Great
> album.

I downloaded '2 + 2 = 5'. Neat stuff.

-Homyguy Z

Nathan M

Jun 25, 2003, 3:26:25 AM6/25/03
"Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu> said in a deathly whisper...:

> And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since.
> Great album.

I'll have to pick that one up myself... Just curious, how did you feel
about Kid A and Amnesiac, just to know your taste? (If you like
Radiohead at all, I already know your feelings regarding OK Computer).

In other news, I picked up the new Harry Potter book, and so far it is
good, but I've resisted reading as much of it as I'd like to, or I'd end
up reading it for like 6 hours or something.

--
Crowin'

"Instead, people should get one extra vote for every ten thousand dollars
in taxes they pay"
Walter Williams, guest hosting the USA's most popular talk radio program,
after figuring out that denying votes to those who don't have to pay
taxes would probably be a bad idea.

"Then there was the educated Texan from Texas who looked like somone in
Technicolor and felt, patriotically, that people of means--decent folk--
should be given more votes than drifters, whores, criminals, degenerates,
atheists and indecent folk--people without means." Catch-22

"All your synapses are firing, on the EIB network," Announcer for Rush
Limbaugh's show, reminding us that Conservatism causes seizures.

Homyguy Z

Jun 25, 2003, 3:30:57 AM6/25/03

"Nathan M" <nmont...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message

> "Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu> said in a deathly whisper...:
>
> > And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since.
> > Great album.
>
> I'll have to pick that one up myself... Just curious, how did you feel
> about Kid A and Amnesiac, just to know your taste? (If you like
> Radiohead at all, I already know your feelings regarding OK Computer).
>
> In other news, I picked up the new Harry Potter book, and so far it is
> good, but I've resisted reading as much of it as I'd like to, or I'd end
> up reading it for like 6 hours or something.

As long as we're discussing multimedia indulgences, I got a good bit of cash
for graduation and spent some of it on the Family Guy and Futurama box sets.
Of course I had already seen most of the episodes between Adult Swim and
downloading off Kazaa, but it's not exactly the same as being able to pop in
a DVD and watch it with a bunch of friends.

Also, the commentaries are great.

-Homyguy Z

Nathan M

Jun 25, 2003, 3:47:36 AM6/25/03
"Homyguy Z" <chay...@carolina.rr.com.remove.this> said in a deathly
whisper...:

> "Nathan M" <nmont...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message
>> "Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu> said in a deathly whisper...:
>>
>> > And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since.
>> > Great album.
>>
>> I'll have to pick that one up myself... Just curious, how did you
>> feel about Kid A and Amnesiac, just to know your taste? (If you like
>> Radiohead at all, I already know your feelings regarding OK
>> Computer).
>>
>> In other news, I picked up the new Harry Potter book, and so far it
>> is good, but I've resisted reading as much of it as I'd like to, or
>> I'd end up reading it for like 6 hours or something.
>
> As long as we're discussing multimedia indulgences, I got a good bit
> of cash for graduation and spent some of it on the Family Guy and
> Futurama box sets. Of course I had already seen most of the episodes
> between Adult Swim and downloading off Kazaa, but it's not exactly the
> same as being able to pop in a DVD and watch it with a bunch of
> friends.
>
> Also, the commentaries are great.

I didn't really like the commentary on Family Guy... until that point, I
hardly noticed that little flickering thing (which they did to make the
episodes slightly longer, and conform to the schedule) they do on the
episodes, now I can't help but notice it.

I don't actually own the DVDs, a friend of mine owns them.

Rob Browning

Jun 25, 2003, 12:27:16 PM6/25/03

I've been downloading The X-Files. Up to Season 3 right now.

Rob

Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

"I made some good points, but some people were raised communists,
and believe that anyone who doesn't think the same way they do are
inferior."
--Yamcha the Desert Bandit, who probably needs to crack open some
Marx

Homyguy Z

Jun 25, 2003, 1:09:06 PM6/25/03

> "Homyguy Z" <chay...@carolina.rr.com.remove.this> said in a deathly
> whisper...:
>

> > "Nathan M" <nmont...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message

> >> I'll have to pick that one up myself... Just curious, how did you
> >> feel about Kid A and Amnesiac, just to know your taste? (If you like
> >> Radiohead at all, I already know your feelings regarding OK
> >> Computer).
> >>
> >> In other news, I picked up the new Harry Potter book, and so far it
> >> is good, but I've resisted reading as much of it as I'd like to, or
> >> I'd end up reading it for like 6 hours or something.
> >
> > As long as we're discussing multimedia indulgences, I got a good bit
> > of cash for graduation and spent some of it on the Family Guy and
> > Futurama box sets. Of course I had already seen most of the episodes
> > between Adult Swim and downloading off Kazaa, but it's not exactly the
> > same as being able to pop in a DVD and watch it with a bunch of
> > friends.
> >
> > Also, the commentaries are great.
>
> I didn't really like the commentary on Family Guy...

The commentary on the first couple of episodes was hilarious. When they
start talking in the characters' voices.

"You're always raining on my fucking parade, Lois!"

> until that point, I
> hardly noticed that little flickering thing (which they did to make the
> episodes slightly longer, and conform to the schedule) they do on the
> episodes, now I can't help but notice it.

Yeah, where they freeze the shot and it looks slightly scrambled. But I
think they said they do that in order to insert a pause where the animation
they got back from Korea didn't have one.

-Homyguy Z

khai

Jun 25, 2003, 5:47:13 PM6/25/03
"Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since. Great
> album.

Those songs you recommedned were cool, except myxsywhateverthefyuck.
Corrupt tune, and I was too lazy to re-download it.

--
Khai
-no, don't bother-

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 25, 2003, 7:29:24 PM6/25/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even Nathan M has never
seen!"

>> And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since.
>> Great album.
> I'll have to pick that one up myself... Just curious, how did you feel
> about Kid A and Amnesiac, just to know your taste? (If you like
> Radiohead at all, I already know your feelings regarding OK Computer).

I AM ALSO GIVES THE THUMBS UP.

[And Kid A is their best album.]

> In other news, I picked up the new Harry Potter book, and so far it is
> good, but I've resisted reading as much of it as I'd like to, or I'd
> end up reading it for like 6 hours or something.

WTF is so good about those books?

--
Jonathan McArthur
Songs: http://www.mp3.com/jonathanmcarthur/

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 25, 2003, 7:35:42 PM6/25/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"

>> And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since.
>> Great album.
> Those songs you recommedned were cool, except myxsywhateverthefyuck.
> Corrupt tune, and I was too lazy to re-download it.

That song sucks anyway.

Nathan M

Jun 25, 2003, 8:33:14 PM6/25/03
"Jonathan McArthur" <dynamit...@paradise.net.nz> said in a deathly
whisper...:

> "Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"

> "Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even Nathan M has never
> seen!"
>>> And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since.
>>> Great album.
>> I'll have to pick that one up myself... Just curious, how did you feel
>> about Kid A and Amnesiac, just to know your taste? (If you like
>> Radiohead at all, I already know your feelings regarding OK Computer).
>
> I AM ALSO GIVES THE THUMBS UP.
>
> [And Kid A is their best album.]

Hurf.

>> In other news, I picked up the new Harry Potter book, and so far it is
>> good, but I've resisted reading as much of it as I'd like to, or I'd
>> end up reading it for like 6 hours or something.
>
> WTF is so good about those books?

Guilty pleasure. It's comparable in quality of story telling, though not
in depth to most everything on my list to read this summer. Fun... but the
depth goes about as far as "RACISTS R DUM!!!".

Balthasar

Jun 25, 2003, 11:17:06 PM6/25/03

"Rob Browning" <rbr...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote in message

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:30:57 GMT, "Homyguy Z"
> <chay...@carolina.rr.com.remove.this> wrote:
>

> >"Nathan M" <nmont...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message

> >> I'll have to pick that one up myself... Just curious, how did you feel
> >> about Kid A and Amnesiac, just to know your taste? (If you like
> >> Radiohead at all, I already know your feelings regarding OK Computer).
> >>
> >> In other news, I picked up the new Harry Potter book, and so far it is
> >> good, but I've resisted reading as much of it as I'd like to, or I'd
end
> >> up reading it for like 6 hours or something.
> >
> >As long as we're discussing multimedia indulgences, I got a good bit of
cash
> >for graduation and spent some of it on the Family Guy and Futurama box
sets.
> >Of course I had already seen most of the episodes between Adult Swim and
> >downloading off Kazaa, but it's not exactly the same as being able to pop
in
> >a DVD and watch it with a bunch of friends.
>
> I've been downloading The X-Files. Up to Season 3 right now.

DVD quality? I was pretty close to buying Season 2 or 3 last semester, but
then I came to my senses. Plus I had a date that week. Fucking $100+ for one
season.

Balthasar

Jun 25, 2003, 11:18:41 PM6/25/03

"Homyguy Z" <chay...@carolina.rr.com.remove.this> wrote in message

That's a good song. My favorites off the album so far are "Sail to the Moon"
and "Myxomatosis."

Balthasar

Jun 25, 2003, 11:27:57 PM6/25/03

"Nathan M" <nmont...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message
> "Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu> said in a deathly whisper...:
>
> > And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since.
> > Great album.
>
> I'll have to pick that one up myself... Just curious, how did you feel
> about Kid A and Amnesiac, just to know your taste? (If you like
> Radiohead at all, I already know your feelings regarding OK Computer).

Heh, yeah, it's pretty hard to be a fan of Radiohead and not like OK
Computer. I really liked Kid A, and have always had a hard time deciding if
I like that one more than OK Computer. I liked Amnesiac as well, but not
nearly as much as the other two. It felt too unweildy and unorganized as
music (if that makes any sense). Some pretty good tracks on there, but
definately not as good as Kid A. Hail to the Thief is a little like Kid A,
in that you can here a lot of synthesized sounds going on in a lot of their
songs, but much more like OK Computer in that it's a lot more "musical" and
not as much out there. I don't think it really sounds like any of their
other albums, but that's the best I can come up with right now for
comparison's sake.

> In other news, I picked up the new Harry Potter book, and so far it is
> good, but I've resisted reading as much of it as I'd like to, or I'd end
> up reading it for like 6 hours or something.

I never did get on the Potter bandwagon. The ideas seem way too cliché, but
it's hard for me to judge it when I've never read it. I've been told by
some Potter fans that Goblet of Fire was mediocre at best, so I guess this
one's a lot better?

In other other news, I also picked up JFK, which I had only seen one time
before buying it. Oliver Stone's commentary adds a lot of extra information,
if that's really possible in a 3 hour 20 min movie.

Balthasar

Jun 26, 2003, 12:27:35 AM6/26/03

"khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote in message

I like it best when they take the first 20 seconds of a song, and loop it
for the length of the actual track, just to fucking spite you. Goddamn
mouth breeders.

khai

Jun 26, 2003, 12:44:29 AM6/26/03

> "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote in message
> > "Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> > > And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since.
> Great
> > > album.
> >
> > Those songs you recommedned were cool, except myxsywhateverthefyuck.
> > Corrupt tune, and I was too lazy to re-download it.
>
> I like it best when they take the first 20 seconds of a song, and loop it
> for the length of the actual track, just to fucking spite you. Goddamn
> mouth breeders.

quite.

Balthasar

Jun 26, 2003, 2:22:07 AM6/26/03

"Jonathan McArthur" <dynamit...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message

> "Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
> "Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"
> >> And I haven't been able to get myself to stop listening ever since.
> >> Great album.
> > Those songs you recommedned were cool, except myxsywhateverthefyuck.
> > Corrupt tune, and I was too lazy to re-download it.
>
> That song sucks anyway.

FUCK YUO THAT SONG ROCKS!!!111

Rob Browning

Jun 26, 2003, 2:58:59 AM6/26/03
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:27:57 -0400, "Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu>
wrote:

>I never did get on the Potter bandwagon. The ideas seem way too cliché, but
>it's hard for me to judge it when I've never read it. I've been told by
>some Potter fans that Goblet of Fire was mediocre at best, so I guess this
>one's a lot better?

I thought the quality of the series got better as it went along. And
the series is hardly cliche in comparison to most other children's
books, not to mention better than most mainstream fantasy (e.g. The
Wheel of Time, The Sword of Truth, Xanth).

khai

Jun 26, 2003, 8:44:56 AM6/26/03

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:27:57 -0400, "Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >I never did get on the Potter bandwagon. The ideas seem way too cliché,
but
> >it's hard for me to judge it when I've never read it. I've been told by
> >some Potter fans that Goblet of Fire was mediocre at best, so I guess
this
> >one's a lot better?
>
> I thought the quality of the series got better as it went along. And
> the series is hardly cliche in comparison to most other children's
> books, not to mention better than most mainstream fantasy (e.g. The
> Wheel of Time, The Sword of Truth, Xanth).

my biased opinion is that WoT can't be beaten. Of course, it's made with
the fact in mind that I haven't read any of the Potter books, so its then an
uninformed opinion.

I'll get around to it.

Rob Browning

Jun 26, 2003, 10:34:42 AM6/26/03
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:44:56 GMT, "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote:

>"Rob Browning" <rbr...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:27:57 -0400, "Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I never did get on the Potter bandwagon. The ideas seem way too cliché,
>but
>> >it's hard for me to judge it when I've never read it. I've been told by
>> >some Potter fans that Goblet of Fire was mediocre at best, so I guess
>this
>> >one's a lot better?
>>
>> I thought the quality of the series got better as it went along. And
>> the series is hardly cliche in comparison to most other children's
>> books, not to mention better than most mainstream fantasy (e.g. The
>> Wheel of Time, The Sword of Truth, Xanth).
>
>my biased opinion is that WoT can't be beaten. Of course, it's made with

Maybe you should read some real books.

khai

Jun 26, 2003, 10:54:28 AM6/26/03

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:44:56 GMT, "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote:
>
> >"Rob Browning" <rbr...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote in message

> >but
> >this
> >>
> >> I thought the quality of the series got better as it went along. And
> >> the series is hardly cliche in comparison to most other children's
> >> books, not to mention better than most mainstream fantasy (e.g. The
> >> Wheel of Time, The Sword of Truth, Xanth).
> >
> >my biased opinion is that WoT can't be beaten. Of course, it's made with
>
> Maybe you should read some real books.

opinion or fact?

Mike Robinson

Jun 26, 2003, 10:59:04 AM6/26/03
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:54:28 +0000, khai wrote:

> "Rob Browning" <rbr...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:44:56 GMT, "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote:
>>
>> >"Rob Browning" <rbr...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote in message

> cliché,
>> >but
> by
>> >this

>> >my biased opinion is that WoT can't be beaten. Of course, it's made with
>>
>> Maybe you should read some real books.
>
> opinion or fact?

Fact

khai

Jun 26, 2003, 6:31:48 PM6/26/03
"Mike Robinson" <pulse...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

ill-founded generalization. you lose ;.;

Nathan M

Jun 26, 2003, 6:49:55 PM6/26/03
"khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> said in a deathly whisper...:

I couldn't even finish the first 50 pages of the first WoT book (which I
can't remember the name of).

WoT is much worse than Harry Potter.

Rob Browning

Jun 26, 2003, 7:38:24 PM6/26/03
On 26 Jun 2003 22:49:55 GMT, Nathan M
<nmont...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote:

>I couldn't even finish the first 50 pages of the first WoT book (which I
>can't remember the name of).

That seems to drive off a bunch of people. The ones that get past
those first fifty pages are hopelessly sucked in until they've read
seven or eight books.

Ramen Junkie: Your Company's Computer Guy

Jun 26, 2003, 8:23:36 PM6/26/03

> "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> said in a deathly whisper...:
>
> > "Rob Browning" <rbr...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote in message

> > but
> > this
> >>
> >> I thought the quality of the series got better as it went along. And
> >> the series is hardly cliche in comparison to most other children's
> >> books, not to mention better than most mainstream fantasy (e.g. The
> >> Wheel of Time, The Sword of Truth, Xanth).
> >
> > my biased opinion is that WoT can't be beaten. Of course, it's made
> > with the fact in mind that I haven't read any of the Potter books, so
> > its then an uninformed opinion.
>
> I couldn't even finish the first 50 pages of the first WoT book (which I
> can't remember the name of).
>
> WoT is much worse than Harry Potter.

Harry Potter is decent but it is a bit repetitive. The story in every book
can be summed up as...

- Harry is miserable at the Dursley's and almost doesn't make it back to
school.
- Harry gets to school in the nick of time, hijinks ensue.
- A new Defense against the Dark Arts Teacher.
- Hijinks result in the discovery of a nefarious plot.
- The Evil plot unfolds and a false villain is thought to be the culprit.
The plot will involve the new Dark Arts Teacher in some way.
- Harry wins the Quiddich match.
- The plot turns out to be Voldemort's doing, Harry saves the day through
some last minute Deus Ex plot device.
- Due to some result of the saving of the day the Dark Arts Teacher will
have to be replaced.
- Gryfffindor wins the House Cup due to Harry's good deeds.

They all follow that pattern. I imagine in book 5 there is Quiddich and
Voldemort is the villain.
--
Ramen

Series should be called "Th Hermione Granger Stories", cause she is ten
times cooler then Potter.

Ramen Junkie: Your Company's Computer Guy

Jun 26, 2003, 8:23:35 PM6/26/03

> On 26 Jun 2003 22:49:55 GMT, Nathan M
> <nmont...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> >I couldn't even finish the first 50 pages of the first WoT book (which I
> >can't remember the name of).
>
> That seems to drive off a bunch of people. The ones that get past
> those first fifty pages are hopelessly sucked in until they've read
> seven or eight books.

Hmm page 50 is into chapter 4, no... I didn't get that far.I would be very
surprised if I made it to page 18 (chapter 2). I would say it was more like
page 10. THE BOOK SUCKS HORRIBLE

Animeg3282

Jun 26, 2003, 11:39:26 PM6/26/03
rob said

>I thought the quality of the series got better as it went along. And
>the series is hardly cliche in comparison to most other children's
>books, not to mention better than most mainstream fantasy (e.g. The
>Wheel of Time, The Sword of Truth, Xanth).

That's true- the 3rd, 4th and 5th books are really strong, although the 1st and
2nd were merely decent. I do prefer them to the wheel of time, tho.
--
Hana no Kaitou
http://animeg.blogspot.com/ <--yet another shitty blog.

khai

Jun 27, 2003, 12:49:08 AM6/27/03
"Nathan M" <nmont...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message

> "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> said in a deathly whisper...:
>
> > "Rob Browning" <rbr...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote in message

> > but
> > this
> >>
> >> I thought the quality of the series got better as it went along. And
> >> the series is hardly cliche in comparison to most other children's
> >> books, not to mention better than most mainstream fantasy (e.g. The
> >> Wheel of Time, The Sword of Truth, Xanth).
> >
> > my biased opinion is that WoT can't be beaten. Of course, it's made
> > with the fact in mind that I haven't read any of the Potter books, so
> > its then an uninformed opinion.
>
> I couldn't even finish the first 50 pages of the first WoT book (which I
> can't remember the name of).
>
> WoT is much worse than Harry Potter.

for you.

--
Khai
-SHURG OMG *CRY*-

Balthasar

Jun 27, 2003, 2:24:05 AM6/27/03

"Rob Browning" <rbr...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote in message

> On 26 Jun 2003 22:49:55 GMT, Nathan M
> <nmont...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> >I couldn't even finish the first 50 pages of the first WoT book (which I
> >can't remember the name of).
>
> That seems to drive off a bunch of people. The ones that get past
> those first fifty pages are hopelessly sucked in until they've read
> seven or eight books.

What exactly about this book is so bad, in your opinion?

Rob Browning

Jun 27, 2003, 3:05:56 AM6/27/03
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:24:05 -0400, "Balthasar" <kdj...@nyu.edu>
wrote:

>"Rob Browning" <rbr...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote in message
>> On 26 Jun 2003 22:49:55 GMT, Nathan M
>> <nmont...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >I couldn't even finish the first 50 pages of the first WoT book (which I
>> >can't remember the name of).
>>
>> That seems to drive off a bunch of people. The ones that get past
>> those first fifty pages are hopelessly sucked in until they've read
>> seven or eight books.
>
>What exactly about this book is so bad, in your opinion?

Pretty much the same thing that's bad about DBZ. Though even WoT is a
lot better than DBZ.

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 27, 2003, 3:35:01 AM6/27/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even Balthasar has never

seen!"
>>> Those songs you recommedned were cool, except myxsywhateverthefyuck.
>>> Corrupt tune, and I was too lazy to re-download it.
>> That song sucks anyway.
> FUCK YUO THAT SONG ROCKS!!!111

Good lyrics. Everything else about it is horribly ugly.

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 27, 2003, 3:36:00 AM6/27/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"

>>> my biased opinion is that WoT can't be beaten. Of course, it's
>>> made with
>> Maybe you should read some real books.
> opinion or fact?

Suggestion?

Fact: Robert Jordan is suck.

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 27, 2003, 3:36:43 AM6/27/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even Rob Browning has never
seen!"

>> I couldn't even finish the first 50 pages of the first WoT book
>> (which I can't remember the name of).
> That seems to drive off a bunch of people. The ones that get past
> those first fifty pages are hopelessly sucked in until they've read
> seven or eight books.

It's true! But at least I didn't pay for any of them.

Nathan M

Jun 27, 2003, 3:45:48 AM6/27/03
"Jonathan McArthur" <dynamit...@paradise.net.nz> said in a deathly
whisper...:

> "Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"

> "Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"
>>> Maybe you should read some real books.
>> opinion or fact?
>
> Suggestion?
>
> Fact: Robert Jordan is suck.

_TEH_ suck.

khai

Jun 27, 2003, 8:26:52 AM6/27/03

> "Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
> "Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"
> >> Maybe you should read some real books.
> > opinion or fact?
>
> Suggestion?

There's a presumption made that I don't already. If he doesn't know what
else I read, coupled with his opinion of what is 'real', then really it's an
opinionated statement. Not saying you have any to do with it..

> Fact: Robert Jordan is suck.

Now the onus is on you to provide proof it is a fact, rather than opinion.
Have fun.

Rob Browning

Jun 27, 2003, 1:13:54 PM6/27/03
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:36:43 +1200, "Jonathan McArthur"
<dynamit...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
>"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even Rob Browning has never
>seen!"
>>> I couldn't even finish the first 50 pages of the first WoT book
>>> (which I can't remember the name of).
>> That seems to drive off a bunch of people. The ones that get past
>> those first fifty pages are hopelessly sucked in until they've read
>> seven or eight books.
>
>It's true! But at least I didn't pay for any of them.

I paid for all of the ones I read. ;_;

Rob Browning

Jun 27, 2003, 1:16:39 PM6/27/03
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:26:52 GMT, "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote:

>"Jonathan McArthur" <dynamit...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
>> "Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
>> "Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"
>> > opinion or fact?
>>
>> Suggestion?
>
>There's a presumption made that I don't already. If he doesn't know what

You yourself said that "WoT can't be beaten." This strongly suggests
that you don't read real books.

khai

Jun 27, 2003, 3:30:14 PM6/27/03

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:26:52 GMT, "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote:
>
> >"Jonathan McArthur" <dynamit...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> >> "Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
> >> "Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"
> >>
> >> Suggestion?
> >
> >There's a presumption made that I don't already. If he doesn't know what
>
> You yourself said that "WoT can't be beaten." This strongly suggests
> that you don't read real books.

.. if you enjoy faulty logic, sure. I made an admittedly biased comment
(which I explained in the original statment), but your ill-founded
generalization only exemplifies you don't know what else I read. Hence,
without proof of what else I read coupled with your own opinion of what is
real or not, your line of reasoning is faulty. Sorry ;.;

DarkSheer

Jun 27, 2003, 9:45:11 PM6/27/03

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:36:43 +1200, "Jonathan McArthur"
> <dynamit...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
> >"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
> >"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even Rob Browning has never
> >seen!"
> >> That seems to drive off a bunch of people. The ones that get past
> >> those first fifty pages are hopelessly sucked in until they've read
> >> seven or eight books.
> >
> >It's true! But at least I didn't pay for any of them.
>
> I paid for all of the ones I read. ;_;
>
> Rob

Sadly, me too. And even more sadly I'll prolly keep buying them for the
story sake.....I have to see the last battle.

Still, read george r r martin. Worth every penny paid for each one.

Ryan

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 27, 2003, 10:43:34 PM6/27/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"
>> Fact: Robert Jordan is suck.
> Now the onus is on you to provide proof it is a fact, rather than
> opinion. Have fun.

Okay then. Robert Jordan's _Wheel of Time_ series, while having some
merits [world-creation, mainly], is plagued with failure. Here is a
list:
* Paper-thin characters without personalities [Rand, Rand, always
Rand...] and simplistic motives [pick almost anyone].
* Woefully pedestrian pacing. Did anything actually happen in
_Crossroads to Twilight_?
* Stale, unrefined dialogue. Not David Eddings levels of shite, but
Jordan just doesn't get into his characters enough.
* Repetitive, pointless plot devices. For instance, the Children of
the Light are completely superfluous and only show up to justify
fighting now and again. Mat's gambling, whoring and famous big mouth
always gets him into "wacky" hi-jinks -- what will that hilarious
rapscallion get himself into next? [Hint: I don't care.] Whenever the
young Aes Sedai [or Accepted, or whatever it was] girls get to a new
town on their intrepid hunt for some stupid artifact [I think that
happened about 12 times in books six through nine], they are at first
shocked to see how exposed the women's breasts are, but soon warm to the
more revealing costumes [while Jordan lovingly describes the look of
their newly-exposed chests]. As they travel about, each city has less
bodice than the last. It's too bad the girls have been sidetracked by
this silly Aes Sedia conflict; eventually they would've been
gallavanting around completely naked and the series could've descended
into all-out lesbian nonsense.
* Pandering to his audience [that would be geeky teenaged boys,
predominantly]. Breast-exposure. Rand's harem -- I have to say I'm
surprised that Elayne, Min and Avienda [I think those were the ones] are
still taking turns with him. I would have expected that Jordan,
sex-crazed nutter and cash-cow extraordinaire that he is, would've had
the three of them conspire to jump Rand at once. Maybe he's still
building up to that. Oh, and is it just me, or does almost every young
female character who gets more than a chapter or two of time -- I can
only think of a couple of exceptions -- have large breasts, a pretty
face, a nice figure and revealing clothes? Something is going on here,
and I don't think it's quality writing.

I could go on, but there's not really much point. If you disagree with
any of the above, explain why and I will dig up copies of the books and
find some examples [assuming I can be bothered]? On the other hand, if
you agree with the above, would you agree that the above problems,
manifesting simultaneously, would justify the labelling of the writer as
"suck"? If not, why?

khai

Jun 28, 2003, 2:03:54 AM6/28/03
"Jonathan McArthur" <dynamit...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message

I'd started out replying to each point you'd made. While I don't agree with
some, I do agree with at least half. I was amused by your post hoc, ergo
propter hoc on the nakedness leading to lesbianism.

I thought a lot about where this would lead, and due to the fact that I read
the series (except the newest) over an 11 year span with many books in
between (mostly borrowed) I've not the material to post proof with in each
book.

I'm at least open to the possibility that if those issues, if they do indeed
occur as actuality rather than mere interpretation (at least for some
points, not all), may very well justify... /in one person's opinion/..
labelling the writer as 'suck'. I couldn't say it's fact, as the majority
would have to concur, before it could be considered as fact. Then again,
saying that, I will concede that it very well may be a 'fact of agff' that
WoT, hell even Jordan, sucks, as the majority here seem to think so. As I
had originally stated, my biased comment that WoT could not be beat rested o
n just what I thought of the series as a whole from what I remember. I had
thought about countering initially with 'a fact can only be so if the
majority of the world agrees it to be so', but I worried about this turning
into a thread regarding semantics, which I've not the care to do so.

Ah well. I'm not above conceding I'm outvoted in this matter. No biggie.

--
Khai
-meh-

Rob Browning

Jun 28, 2003, 2:59:19 AM6/28/03
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:03:54 GMT, "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote:

>labelling the writer as 'suck'. I couldn't say it's fact, as the majority
>would have to concur, before it could be considered as fact. Then again,

A fact does not have to be agreed upon by the majority, nor is
anything that the majority agrees upon necessarily a fact.

Eyeglazer

Jun 28, 2003, 5:17:04 AM6/28/03
In defiance of the Ennui Edicts, Rob Browning posted the following:

>On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:03:54 GMT, "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote:
>
>>labelling the writer as 'suck'. I couldn't say it's fact, as the majority
>>would have to concur, before it could be considered as fact. Then again,
>
>A fact does not have to be agreed upon by the majority, nor is
>anything that the majority agrees upon necessarily a fact.

"100,000 lemmings can't be wrong!"

And let's not forget that, not so very long ago, a majority --
consensus even -- concurred that the world was in fact flat.

Then again, I suspect that's the semantics he was trying to avoid.

And for the record, (since it seems to have been the point under
discussion....woot for thread drift) I like WoT, even though the
glacial pace of the last few books has irked me tremendously. It hit a
peak around book four or so and hasn't been quite as good since.

I've noticed that he's started spending several chapters on the leadup
to and occurance of single events, great or small. Probably an
unwelcome side effect of detail overkill, so to speak.

--

Eyeglazer, Lord of Boredom.

"People tend to make rules for others and exceptions for themselves."
- Unknown.

khai

Jun 28, 2003, 8:14:13 AM6/28/03
"Eyeglazer" <no-...@nowhere.nothing> wrote in message

> In defiance of the Ennui Edicts, Rob Browning posted the following:
>
> >On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:03:54 GMT, "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote:
> >
> >>labelling the writer as 'suck'. I couldn't say it's fact, as the
majority
> >>would have to concur, before it could be considered as fact. Then
again,

> >A fact does not have to be agreed upon by the majority, nor is
> >anything that the majority agrees upon necessarily a fact.
>
> "100,000 lemmings can't be wrong!"
>
> And let's not forget that, not so very long ago, a majority --
> consensus even -- concurred that the world was in fact flat.
>
> Then again, I suspect that's the semantics he was trying to avoid.

Yes, quite.

> And for the record, (since it seems to have been the point under
> discussion....woot for thread drift) I like WoT, even though the
> glacial pace of the last few books has irked me tremendously. It hit a
> peak around book four or so and hasn't been quite as good since.
>
> I've noticed that he's started spending several chapters on the leadup
> to and occurance of single events, great or small. Probably an
> unwelcome side effect of detail overkill, so to speak.

I've a friend who compares Jordan to Stephen King regarding the level of
detail used. Especially 'It'.

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 28, 2003, 10:23:57 AM6/28/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even DarkSheer has never
seen!"

> Still, read george r r martin. Worth every penny paid for each one.

Have you read _Fevre Dream_? It's purty good [but nothing like _A Song
of Ice and Fire_].

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 28, 2003, 10:38:56 AM6/28/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"
> I'd started out replying to each point you'd made. While I don't
> agree with some, I do agree with at least half. I was amused by your
> post hoc, ergo propter hoc on the nakedness leading to lesbianism.

Well, that was a joke, but it's not post hoc [consider the writer's
whims -- the characters are imagined, after all].

> I thought a lot about where this would lead, and due to the fact that
> I read the series (except the newest) over an 11 year span with many
> books in between (mostly borrowed) I've not the material to post
> proof with in each book.

You read a whole lot of books and still love the _Wheel of Time_? What
sort of stuff do you read?

> I'm at least open to the possibility that if those issues, if they do
> indeed occur as actuality rather than mere interpretation (at least
> for some points, not all), may very well justify... /in one person's
> opinion/.. labelling the writer as 'suck'. I couldn't say it's fact,
> as the majority would have to concur, before it could be considered
> as fact. Then again, saying that, I will concede that it very well
> may be a 'fact of agff' that WoT, hell even Jordan, sucks, as the
> majority here seem to think so. As I had originally stated, my
> biased comment that WoT could not be beat rested o n just what I
> thought of the series as a whole from what I remember. I had thought
> about countering initially with 'a fact can only be so if the
> majority of the world agrees it to be so', but I worried about this
> turning into a thread regarding semantics, which I've not the care to
> do so.

Um. I'm going to take my turn at the fallacy game and hand you an
"argumentum ad populum" card for this one. ^_^

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 28, 2003, 10:41:25 AM6/28/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even Eyeglazer has never
seen!"
<ker-schnip of Wheel of Time of hell of yes>

> I've noticed that he's started spending several chapters on the leadup
> to and occurance of single events, great or small. Probably an
> unwelcome side effect of detail overkill, so to speak.

Unwelcome side effect of NO IDEAS ANY MORE

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 28, 2003, 10:42:21 AM6/28/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"
> I've a friend who compares Jordan to Stephen King regarding the level
> of detail used. Especially 'It'.

Hack vs. hack.

Who will win the war of bad writereering?

Animeg3282

Jun 28, 2003, 2:11:41 PM6/28/03
jonathan said

>Unwelcome side effect of NO IDEAS ANY MORE

well, at least he had one idea once, most people don't even have that.

Rob Browning

Jun 28, 2003, 3:07:59 PM6/28/03
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:17:04 -0500, Eyeglazer <no-...@nowhere.nothing>
wrote:

>In defiance of the Ennui Edicts, Rob Browning posted the following:
>
>>On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:03:54 GMT, "khai" <kh...@privacy.nu> wrote:
>>
>>>labelling the writer as 'suck'. I couldn't say it's fact, as the majority
>>>would have to concur, before it could be considered as fact. Then again,
>>
>>A fact does not have to be agreed upon by the majority, nor is
>>anything that the majority agrees upon necessarily a fact.
>
>"100,000 lemmings can't be wrong!"
>
>And let's not forget that, not so very long ago, a majority --
>consensus even -- concurred that the world was in fact flat.

Actually, that was a fact in ancient times. "Fact" is not a synonym
for "truth," either.

A fact is something that observation shows to a high degree of
certainty to be true. In ancient times, it was a fact that the earth
was the center of the universe, because Ptolemy created a convincing
enough model for it that made common sense, and there was no opposing
theory at the time that could dispute it. Today, it is a fact that
natural selection is the driving force behind living things, but there
is always the possibility that that theory could be replaced by
something that fits observations of biological systems better. Still,
though, evolution is a fact despite most people in the world not
believing in it, and the existence of God is not a fact despite most
people in the world believing in Him.

Rob Browning

Jun 28, 2003, 3:13:19 PM6/28/03
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:42:21 +1200, "Jonathan McArthur"
<dynamit...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
>"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even khai has never seen!"
>> I've a friend who compares Jordan to Stephen King regarding the level
>> of detail used. Especially 'It'.
>
>Hack vs. hack.
>
>Who will win the war of bad writereering?

Stephen King is much better than Robert Jordan. For one thing, King
isn't obsessed with breasts.

Eyeglazer

Jun 28, 2003, 8:47:55 PM6/28/03
In defiance of the Ennui Edicts, khai posted the following:

>> I've noticed that he's started spending several chapters on the leadup
>> to and occurance of single events, great or small. Probably an
>> unwelcome side effect of detail overkill, so to speak.
>
>I've a friend who compares Jordan to Stephen King regarding the level of
>detail used. Especially 'It'.

Never read that one. Steven King's detail is considerably more vivid,
though, IMO.

(based on the Stand, Black House, and the Dark Tower series, which is
all the King I've read)

--

Eyeglazer, Lord of Boredom.

"Earth is a beta site."
- Unknown.

Eyeglazer

Jun 28, 2003, 8:51:16 PM6/28/03
In defiance of the Ennui Edicts, Rob Browning posted the following:

>>And let's not forget that, not so very long ago, a majority --

>>consensus even -- concurred that the world was in fact flat.
>
>Actually, that was a fact in ancient times. "Fact" is not a synonym
>for "truth," either.
>
>A fact is something that observation shows to a high degree of
>certainty to be true. In ancient times, it was a fact that the earth
>was the center of the universe, because Ptolemy created a convincing
>enough model for it that made common sense, and there was no opposing
>theory at the time that could dispute it. Today, it is a fact that
>natural selection is the driving force behind living things, but there
>is always the possibility that that theory could be replaced by
>something that fits observations of biological systems better. Still,
>though, evolution is a fact despite most people in the world not
>believing in it, and the existence of God is not a fact despite most
>people in the world believing in Him.

Hrm. I don't buy that argument, but a quick trip to the dictionary was
ambiguous enough that I can't say you're wrong either. <shrugs> Oh
well. Words mean what we use them to mean, in essense.

--

Eyeglazer, Lord of Boredom.

"If you ever see me getting beaten by the police, put down the video
camera and come help me instead."
- Bobcat Goldthwait.

DarkSheer

Jun 28, 2003, 11:16:18 PM6/28/03

"Rob Browning" <rbr...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote in message

Very true. That's why it's called a leap of faith, I guess. *shrugs*

Ryan

Jonathan McArthur

Jun 29, 2003, 8:08:13 AM6/29/03
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"
"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even Rob Browning has never

seen!"
>>> I've a friend who compares Jordan to Stephen King regarding the
>>> level of detail used. Especially 'It'.
>> Hack vs. hack.
>>
>> Who will win the war of bad writereering?
> Stephen King is much better than Robert Jordan. For one thing, King
> isn't obsessed with breasts.

GO HOME WHITE MAN FROM TOWN

Balthasar

Jun 30, 2003, 3:02:41 AM6/30/03

> In defiance of the Ennui Edicts, Rob Browning posted the following:
>
> >>And let's not forget that, not so very long ago, a majority --
> >>consensus even -- concurred that the world was in fact flat.
> >
> >Actually, that was a fact in ancient times. "Fact" is not a synonym
> >for "truth," either.
> >
> >A fact is something that observation shows to a high degree of
> >certainty to be true. In ancient times, it was a fact that the earth
> >was the center of the universe, because Ptolemy created a convincing
> >enough model for it that made common sense, and there was no opposing
> >theory at the time that could dispute it. Today, it is a fact that
> >natural selection is the driving force behind living things, but there
> >is always the possibility that that theory could be replaced by
> >something that fits observations of biological systems better. Still,
> >though, evolution is a fact despite most people in the world not
> >believing in it, and the existence of God is not a fact despite most
> >people in the world believing in Him.
>
> Hrm. I don't buy that argument, but a quick trip to the dictionary was
> ambiguous enough that I can't say you're wrong either. <shrugs> Oh
> well. Words mean what we use them to mean, in essense.

I'd say he was spot on. That's the way I learned it in science classes,
anyway.

Balthasar