THEY FOUND ANOTHER WAY TO MAKE THE GAME BORING

Jwrb1

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Why does verant try so hard to come up with ways to have you sit on your
ass and do nothing? As if the game, at times, wasn't tedious enough, they have
found yet another way to slow it down. I'm referring to the fact that after a
death now, you sometimes randomly come back with zero mana. Apparently verant
felt that it wasn't torturing it's players enough by having them lose
experience, have to track down there corpse, and re-memorize spells. Now a
player has to also wait to med back to full. Are you kidding me? This sucks.
A magician then has to med, cast a pet, and med again. This is ridiculous. I
already spent enough time staring at that stupid spellbook but they have found
a way to make me look at it even more.
I have been told that the reason this was implemented was because players
in group were killing each other to get their mana back to full quicker. Why
doesn't the mana loss only occur when death is due to dueling then?
Come on Blizzard. Finish your game so I can get off my ass.

JackiePrice

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
The mana loss only occurs when a death is PVP. You respawn with full mana
if you die in combat.

Note that accepting a resurrection does now and always did drop your mana to
zero.

"Jwrb1" <jw...@aol.com> wrote in message

secret

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
They shortly will be implementing a new Kunark advertisement etched on
your spellbook, later to be followed by banner adds from doubleclick...

Jwrb1 wrote:

> Why does verant try so hard to come up with ways to have you sit on your
> ass and do nothing? As if the game, at times, wasn't tedious enough, they have
> found yet another way to slow it down. I'm referring to the fact that after a
> death now, you sometimes randomly come back with zero mana. Apparently verant
> felt that it wasn't torturing it's players enough by having them lose
> experience, have to track down there corpse, and re-memorize spells. Now a
> player has to also wait to med back to full. Are you kidding me? This sucks.
> A magician then has to med, cast a pet, and med again. This is ridiculous. I
> already spent enough time staring at that stupid spellbook but they have found
> a way to make me look at it even more.
> I have been told that the reason this was implemented was because players
> in group were killing each other to get their mana back to full quicker. Why
> doesn't the mana loss only occur when death is due to dueling then?
> Come on Blizzard. Finish your game so I can get off my ass.

mida...@my-deja.com

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
In article <20000418093634...@ng-cn1.aol.com>,

jw...@aol.com (Jwrb1) wrote:
> Why does verant try so hard to come up with ways to have you
> sit on your ass and do nothing? As if the game, at times, wasn't
> tedious enough, they have found yet another way to slow it down. I'm
> referring to the fact that after a death now, you sometimes randomly
> come back with zero mana. Apparently verant felt that it wasn't
> torturing it's players enough by having them lose experience, have to
> track down there corpse, and re-memorize spells.

Actually, whenever I've come back with no mana, I've had no XP loss
either...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Arcturus

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
There are circumstances other than that which drop your mana to 0.

I was not in a PVP fight, died an odd way to a Gnoll (bled to death or some
such) and came back with nada.

Only has happened once though.

"JackiePrice" <nos...@NOSPAM.ca> wrote in message

> The mana loss only occurs when a death is PVP. You respawn with full mana
> if you die in combat.
>
> Note that accepting a resurrection does now and always did drop your mana
> zero.
>

> "Jwrb1" <jw...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > Why does verant try so hard to come up with ways to have you sit on
> your
> > ass and do nothing? As if the game, at times, wasn't tedious enough,
they
> have
> > found yet another way to slow it down. I'm referring to the fact that
> after a
> > death now, you sometimes randomly come back with zero mana. Apparently
> verant
> > felt that it wasn't torturing it's players enough by having them lose
> > experience, have to track down there corpse, and re-memorize spells.

Jwrb1

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
That is simply not true. I have, on numerous occasions, suffered non-pvp
deaths which caused me to spawn with zero mana.

Dark Tyger

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
On 18 Apr 2000 13:36:34 GMT, jw...@aol.com (Jwrb1) wrote:

> Why does verant try so hard to come up with ways to have you sit on your
>ass and do nothing? As if the game, at times, wasn't tedious enough, they have
>found yet another way to slow it down. I'm referring to the fact that after a
>death now, you sometimes randomly come back with zero mana. Apparently verant
>felt that it wasn't torturing it's players enough by having them lose
>experience, have to track down there corpse, and re-memorize spells. Now a
>player has to also wait to med back to full. Are you kidding me? This sucks.
>A magician then has to med, cast a pet, and med again. This is ridiculous. I
>already spent enough time staring at that stupid spellbook but they have found
>a way to make me look at it even more.
> I have been told that the reason this was implemented was because players
>in group were killing each other to get their mana back to full quicker. Why
>doesn't the mana loss only occur when death is due to dueling then?
> Come on Blizzard. Finish your game so I can get off my ass.

Heheh. Most of the MUDs I've played ALWAYS start a character at 1 HP,
0 Mana, and you have to track down your corpse after a death.... Quit
whining.

--
Change "Tyger" to "half" to email me.
=^..^=

A place between time and space, everywhere and nowhere
http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/psychic/876/den.html
Friendly staff, beautiful gaming/chat environment. Check it out!

John M Clancy

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00

> That is simply not true. I have, on numerous occasions, suffered non-pvp
> deaths which caused me to spawn with zero mana.

Well figure out how you died and send in a bug report. Its a bug.
If you don't tell them about it they can't fix it.

Jwrb1

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
What a dumbass. You've been fucked this way before so you dont mind it
now?? What the hell is wrong with you people that call people whiners? You
wouldn't prefer playing the game with less down time?? You like medding??
I'll never understand why so many people feel it is necessary to defend this
game. How anyone could not think this sucks is incomprehensible.

bmc...@no.spam.ca

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00

Try playing a multi-class. That way you can at least watch your mana
regen as you run back to retrieve your corpse ;=)

- Boone

Mason Barge

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00

>Actually, whenever I've come back with no mana, I've had no XP loss
>either...

Hmmm. This has never happened to me. But I'm thinking, if I reloaded
post-mortum with 0 mana and no xp loss, I would be very, very quiet about it.

I'm wondering if this has something to do wiht the zoning bugs? I have
occasionally noticed, when zoning (and especially in a gate or evac) that some
or all of my buffs would disappear. And of course, zoning will sometimes cause
guild tags to drop.

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me
some coffee."
- Abraham Lincoln

mida...@my-deja.com

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
In article <20000418125431...@ng-ch1.aol.com>,
mason...@aol.comnospam (Mason Barge) wrote:

>>Actually, whenever I've come back with no mana, I've had no XP loss
>>either...
>
> Hmmm. This has never happened to me. But I'm thinking, if I reloaded
> post-mortum with 0 mana and no xp loss, I would be very, very quiet
> about it.

It's happened to me three times....never exactly occurred to me to
petition "the problem". One time I even got the "You have lost a level"
message only to respawn with no mana and my level intact.

I believe its a bug that occasionally occurs with death via DoT. In
fact, I sometimes wonder if it is the infamous DoT bug itself wieghing
in for the player instead of the MoB. If so, the DOT bug has saved me
more experience than it has cost...heh.

John the Thorny

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
On 18 Apr 2000 16:54:31 GMT, mason...@aol.comnospam (Mason Barge)
wrote:

>>Actually, whenever I've come back with no mana, I've had no XP loss
>>either...
>
>Hmmm. This has never happened to me. But I'm thinking, if I reloaded
>post-mortum with 0 mana and no xp loss, I would be very, very quiet about it.
>

>I'm wondering if this has something to do wiht the zoning bugs? I have
>occasionally noticed, when zoning (and especially in a gate or evac) that some
>or all of my buffs would disappear. And of course, zoning will sometimes cause
>guild tags to drop.

I "zone-died" once going from Sol A to Sol B. I was in no immediate
danger of dying when I zoned, but popped up at my bind point naked, with
half my HP's gone and zero mana. Still, I lost no exp at all from it. I
just had to run over to the Sol B side of the zone near the Sol A rug
room and retrieve my belongings.

Weird...I reported it as a bug, but heard nothing about it since (not
that I'm expecting to).

Platypus John
-------------

John the Thorny

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
On 18 Apr 2000 16:22:46 GMT, jw...@aol.com (Jwrb1) wrote:

> What a dumbass. You've been fucked this way before so you dont mind it
>now?? What the hell is wrong with you people that call people whiners? You
>wouldn't prefer playing the game with less down time?? You like medding??
>I'll never understand why so many people feel it is necessary to defend this
>game. How anyone could not think this sucks is incomprehensible.

Look...some of it is bugs and some of it is game mechanics. The bugs we
report and move on. The game mechanics you live with or you don't play
the game. Does staring at the spell book while medding suck? Yes, but
you get to forego that at level 35, or you can get a friendly (or
greedy) enchanter to give you clarity and you can then med on the move.
It's a game machanic; live with it.

If Verant gave us what we all wanted a first level untwinked character
would start the game with the abilities of a level 50
druid-warrior-enchanter-wizard-necro; would have a pet that was a
combination of all the mage pets and the most powerful necro pet, but
looked like a wolf; we would all be of a combined race called a
trogerling (troll/ogre/halfling); our factions would be such that
everyone in the world would just plain looooove us, even as we were
butchering them; and we would start the game with a FA/BFG-9000 hybrid
as standard equipment.

And it would only get better by level 2...

Platypus John
-------------

Dark Tyger

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
On 18 Apr 2000 16:22:46 GMT, jw...@aol.com (Jwrb1) wrote:

> What a dumbass. You've been fucked this way before so you dont mind it
>now?? What the hell is wrong with you people that call people whiners? You
>wouldn't prefer playing the game with less down time?? You like medding??
>I'll never understand why so many people feel it is necessary to defend this
>game. How anyone could not think this sucks is incomprehensible.

First of all, quote, it makes it a lot easier to know who you're
talking to. Anyone who's not a "dumbass" should know that...

Second, I'm simply saying that the system is really a standard of the
style of games EQ was obviously inspired by. It's part of the game.
Live with it.

Charles

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
On 18 Apr 2000 13:36:34 GMT, jw...@aol.com (Jwrb1) wrote:

> Why does verant try so hard to come up with ways to have you sit on your
>ass and do nothing? As if the game, at times, wasn't tedious enough, they have
>found yet another way to slow it down. I'm referring to the fact that after a
>death now, you sometimes randomly come back with zero mana. Apparently verant
>felt that it wasn't torturing it's players enough by having them lose
>experience, have to track down there corpse, and re-memorize spells. Now a
>player has to also wait to med back to full. Are you kidding me? This sucks.
>A magician then has to med, cast a pet, and med again. This is ridiculous. I
>already spent enough time staring at that stupid spellbook but they have found
>a way to make me look at it even more.
> I have been told that the reason this was implemented was because players
>in group were killing each other to get their mana back to full quicker. Why
>doesn't the mana loss only occur when death is due to dueling then?
> Come on Blizzard. Finish your game so I can get off my ass.

This only happened to me once. Was running down the pass in East
Karana when I need to go afk for a sec. I stopped (or so I thought)
and turned only to hear myself die from running off the pass. I
appeared at my bind spot with no mana but no exp loss either.

Dan Harmon

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00

Dark Tyger <dark...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Heheh. Most of the MUDs I've played ALWAYS start a character at 1 HP,
> 0 Mana, and you have to track down your corpse after a death.... Quit
> whining.

Back when I was a kid I had to walk 2 miles to and from school, uphill both
ways, in 2 feet of snow, year round. Quit whining.

Brian Evans

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
On 18 Apr 2000 13:36:34 GMT, jw...@aol.com (Jwrb1) wrote:

> Why does verant try so hard to come up with ways to have you sit on
your
>ass and do nothing? As if the game, at times, wasn't tedious enough, they
have
>found yet another way to slow it down. I'm referring to the fact that
after a
>death now, you sometimes randomly come back with zero mana. Apparently
verant
>felt that it wasn't torturing it's players enough by having them lose
>experience, have to track down there corpse, and re-memorize spells. Now a
>player has to also wait to med back to full. Are you kidding me? This
sucks.
>A magician then has to med, cast a pet, and med again. This is ridiculous.
>already spent enough time staring at that stupid spellbook but they have
found
>a way to make me look at it even more.
> I have been told that the reason this was implemented was because
players
>in group were killing each other to get their mana back to full quicker.
Why
>doesn't the mana loss only occur when death is due to dueling then?
> Come on Blizzard. Finish your game so I can get off my ass.

Any method of no exp loss death has a potential to be exploited. Using a
mana
stone to suicide just before something would kill you anyway was an old one.
A recent one they fixed was dueling to get FM quickly. They seem to have
made
it so several methods of dieing cause no exp loss, in each case you will
respawn
with no mana to prevent exploitation.

This actually works out to your advantage, you basically get a free 100% exp
res with no res effects besides no mana and half health. You also don't have
to pester any clerics to get it.

Noslom

DragonMagikus

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
ROFL!!!!!!

I can see it now...

I'm memming spells and reminded that I can "GET PAID WHILE YOU MED - ALL
ADVANTAGE"

LOL
***begin signature***
DragonMagikus