The evil that cancel-magic is...

James M. O'Hara

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
Well, depending on the guide or GM you talk to, they either don't give a
shit because it's allowed or it's harassment and they can get banned :)
(pretty big diff. there) If it only happens once then they're allowed
to do it, but if you see this person going around to many other people
and doing the same thing, get them all to petition.

--
Tylfon
Wood Elf Rogue on Povar

Doc lnsane

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
Cancel magic is a great spell! Its saved my troll butt many times. Whenever I
get "Creeping Crud" from one of those nasty Treants, the resident mage will
cancel magic on me. Its very handy if you don't have a cleric around.
Ziuk Frogsmasher
Level 24 Troll Warrior
Fennin Ro

Adam Russell

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
/petition him and /report him.

Amir B.K <yb...@isdn.net.il> wrote in message

Amir B.K

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

Shane Bole

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
some asshole did that to me and a high level cleric while we were fighting
crocs and the cleric was dying so she starts cancelling magic on us....
afterwards we caster it on her, she wasnt so happy. but she deserved it

Keil

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
I used this tactic in High Keep down in the raider area on a druid
that no one wanted to team with and would come in invis and steal our
kills, now this wasn't for any reasons other than to steal kill.
Raiders don't have anything special for loot. so i would bring out
some food and walk around the area trying to bring up the trade window
due to fact no one had see invis, then would find him and dispell him,
so he dispelled our hole group no big deal do to fact our buff weren't
really needed but it waisted all his mana to do so, plus fact he
finally left us alone because the sencond thing to go was his wolf
form. now this i think was a justified attempt to prevent kill
stealing

Carlo Mosca

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
That's all well and good, but I think the questions is why it should be
possible to use a spell in this way on non-PvP players. After all, you can
easily get people killed doing it so I'd think that would rate as a fairly
negative effect.

IMO, Cancel Magic cast on non-PvPs should only cancel out mob spell effects,
otherwise it's kinda useless anyway since you cancel your own buffs trying
to unRoot yourself. Unless it always cancels the most recent effect, in
which case it is useful I suppose (I solo most of the time so I v. rarely
use it)...
--
Paedur, Erudite Wizard, Rodcet Nife

Keil <now...@anytime.com> wrote in message

L. Drew Davis

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:35:47 +0100, "Carlo Mosca"
<ca...@moscacr.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>IMO, Cancel Magic cast on non-PvPs should only cancel out mob spell effects,
>otherwise it's kinda useless anyway since you cancel your own buffs trying
>to unRoot yourself. Unless it always cancels the most recent effect, in
>which case it is useful I suppose

Seems to be first-in, first out. It would be really powerful if it
only took out "negative" spell effects on the party and "positive"
ones on the bad guys. As it is, it's fairly useful on bad guys,
and close to useless on friends, as you say, due to buffs
in the way. (Occasionally, we'll just tear the buffs down,
generally by prior agreement. "If that thing charms you,
you want me to cancel it?" Charmed people attacking
me that don't know to sit down are also fair game :)

One option is to "reserve" the first slot in your icon
list for the bad guys. Cast a spell that you can cancel
(by clicking on it), buff up, and then cancel the first
spell, leaving the first hole for the bad guys to fill.
Bards are best for this, since they can pop up a
temporary spell on the whole party easily, without
wasting mana.

Donny Trimm

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
I find it so funny that a month ago there was a big debate on this newsgroup
because a troll (with roleplay on) canceled magic on a druid kiting Troll
guards. It was a long disscussion and I think most posts thought it was working
around the PvP switch and thus bannable. I disagreed. But isn't it funny that
now that the "good" races are having their guards killed they like the idea?

Richard Cortese wrote:

> But...
>
> I may already be in trouble for this one, haven't logged into EQ this
> weekend yet to see if I am in trouble for harassment.
>
> Doing my usual magnamous char thing of free binds and summons in Freeport.
> Saw a guard glow green, then red<?> sparklies, then took off running and
> dropped dead. DE necro I believe looting the corpse in the darkness.
>
> I was thinking one down guard, no big deal, there is the other one newbies
> can run to for shelter.
>
> Then the 2nd guard lights ups green, I am thinking snare/root type necro
> spell. I cancel magic.
>
> Then the guard lights up again with his hit points dropping like shit though
> a goose! I cancel magic while he still has 1/2 his hit points.
>
> Next thing I know, guard hits the ground running straight into the darkness
> right for where I last saw the DE necro.
>
> Few seconds later I ran into the desert to see what happened and no one
> around, but eventually the guard wandered back to the gate. I /who for the
> necro and they aren't in the zone any longer, guess they had enough fun for
> one night.
>
> I kind of like cancel magic right now. At least save it for NPCs.

Donny Trimm

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
G Wilson wrote:

> > Remove that damned spell!!!
> > I have seen LOT'S of level 12 wizards moving around the world (even in the
> > high-level areas... ) casting cancel magic on whom ever they say!!!
> > today I just stood with my group the both of us were just sitting and
> > talking about the recent undead reaver ( neither of us ever saw one) when
> > little jerk magician comes and casts cancel magic on me , enforcing me to
> > cast all of my ranger buffs again , but what if it was a warrior who
> > couldn't re-buff himself? or some one who paid well for some one to SoW
> him
> > ?
>

> Nah. They shouldn't remove it. Just make it a group-only spell like
> INVIS is now. Problem solved.
>
> G Wilson
> gwil...@home.com

Then how do you take the damage shield off you target before attacking. That's
the main use of the spell, besides cancelling Root.

Richard Cortese

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
But...

I may already be in trouble for this one, haven't logged into EQ this
weekend yet to see if I am in trouble for harassment.

Doing my usual magnamous char thing of free binds and summons in Freeport.
Saw a guard glow green, then red<?> sparklies, then took off running and
dropped dead. DE necro I believe looting the corpse in the darkness.

I was thinking one down guard, no big deal, there is the other one newbies
can run to for shelter.

Then the 2nd guard lights ups green, I am thinking snare/root type necro
spell. I cancel magic.

Then the guard lights up again with his hit points dropping like shit though
a goose! I cancel magic while he still has 1/2 his hit points.

Next thing I know, guard hits the ground running straight into the darkness
right for where I last saw the DE necro.

Few seconds later I ran into the desert to see what happened and no one
around, but eventually the guard wandered back to the gate. I /who for the
necro and they aren't in the zone any longer, guess they had enough fun for
one night.

I kind of like cancel magic right now. At least save it for NPCs.
Amir B.K <yb...@isdn.net.il> wrote in message

> Remove that damned spell!!!
> I have seen LOT'S of level 12 wizards moving around the world (even in the
> high-level areas... ) casting cancel magic on whom ever they say!!!
> today I just stood with my group the both of us were just sitting and
> talking about the recent undead reaver ( neither of us ever saw one) when
> little jerk magician comes and casts cancel magic on me , enforcing me to
> cast all of my ranger buffs again , but what if it was a warrior who
> couldn't re-buff himself? or some one who paid well for some one to SoW
him
> ?

G Wilson

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

> Remove that damned spell!!!
> I have seen LOT'S of level 12 wizards moving around the world (even in the
> high-level areas... ) casting cancel magic on whom ever they say!!!
> today I just stood with my group the both of us were just sitting and
> talking about the recent undead reaver ( neither of us ever saw one) when
> little jerk magician comes and casts cancel magic on me , enforcing me to
> cast all of my ranger buffs again , but what if it was a warrior who
> couldn't re-buff himself? or some one who paid well for some one to SoW
him
> ?

James M. O'Hara

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Try only on NPC's and group members, that would work.

Donny Trimm wrote:

> Then how do you take the damage shield off you target before attacking. That's
> the main use of the spell, besides cancelling Root.

Olivier Bucaille

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
G Wilson a écrit:

> > Remove that damned spell!!!

> Nah. They shouldn't remove it. Just make it a group-only spell like
> INVIS is now. Problem solved.
>
> G Wilson
> gwil...@home.com

Herr... if you that, then you couldn't cast it on the mobs ????
Problem remains...

Jeff Hoppe

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Problem:

What if you are being attacked by someone who is charmed?

Answer: Cancel Magic

I know it has other uses, but BY GOD, it this capacity it is a life saver.

Jeff
Cadfael, Xegony

G Wilson <gwil...@home.com> wrote in message

> > Remove that damned spell!!!
> > I have seen LOT'S of level 12 wizards moving around the world (even in
the
> > high-level areas... ) casting cancel magic on whom ever they say!!!
> > today I just stood with my group the both of us were just sitting and
> > talking about the recent undead reaver ( neither of us ever saw one)
when
> > little jerk magician comes and casts cancel magic on me , enforcing me
> > cast all of my ranger buffs again , but what if it was a warrior who
> > couldn't re-buff himself? or some one who paid well for some one to SoW
> him
> > ?

Richard Cortese

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Donny Trimm <pio...@lightspeed.net> wrote in message

> I find it so funny that a month ago there was a big debate on this
newsgroup
Me too.

> because a troll (with roleplay on) canceled magic on a druid kiting Troll
> guards. It was a long disscussion and I think most posts thought it was
working
I tried to stay out of that one as much as possible, grey area so pointless.
I was on the troll's side anyway.

> around the PvP switch and thus bannable. I disagreed. But isn't it funny
that
> now that the "good" races are having their guards killed they like the
idea?
Actually I thought they were both always being killed.

Right now I am guessing as long as you don't directly effect the party
involved by debuffing them, it is ok. That is, I don't know if it would
work, but casting SoW on your own guards would be ok. Moving target though,
could change at the drop of a hat.

BTW: Played Sunday night and my account wasn't blocked. It's Monday now and
I will log in to see if I am still in good stead with the folks at EQ.