Pet aggro: 7/10/01 Patch

Ray Nine

Jul 11, 2001, 10:06:04 AM7/11/01
Looks like the pet aggro is back to the way it was before. <Sigh> It was
nice for a couple of weeks to be able to nuke the snot out of mobs that were
engaged with the pet and not have them come after me. Now if I just sneeze
in their direction they start bitch slapping me and making me cry.

-Ray

Dark Tyger

Jul 11, 2001, 11:19:36 AM7/11/01
"Ray Nine" <ray...@NOSPAM.newsguy.com> wrote:

Odd thing is, I never saw the mobs stick only to my pet with my necro.
*shrug*

--
Dark Tyger, the slightly eccentric, railgun-toting kitty kat
Change "mindspring.com" to "knology.net" to email

The night is my companion...solitude my guide.

Dan Harmon

Jul 11, 2001, 1:44:57 PM7/11/01

"Ray Nine" <ray...@NOSPAM.newsguy.com> wrote in message

Our guild uses the phrase, "run away screaming like a little girl."

hughes

Jul 11, 2001, 1:46:05 PM7/11/01
> >Looks like the pet aggro is back to the way it was before. <Sigh> It was
> >nice for a couple of weeks to be able to nuke the snot out of mobs that
were
> >engaged with the pet and not have them come after me. Now if I just
sneeze
> >in their direction they start bitch slapping me and making me cry.
>
> Odd thing is, I never saw the mobs stick only to my pet with my necro.
> *shrug*

Yep lying sacks of sh^t . Before the patch casting a slow spell would aggro
the mob onto me for about 4 rounds of combat before pet taunted it off .
After the patch its back to just using tash and letting pet whack it in the
back while it chases me through the countyside .

It wasnt broke they just felt like stealth nerfing pet classes back .

Cam

Jul 11, 2001, 4:03:46 PM7/11/01
My low level necro (level 6 on Sullon) never really has to worry about
that...They always stick, only time a monster doesnt is when I walk up and
melee it...

Even after I posion bolt, disease cloud it then lifetap it wont turn to me.
Guess im just fighting stupid mobs

--
~"You're dead when your forgotten..."~
"Dark Tyger" <dark...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Dan Day

Jul 11, 2001, 4:48:30 PM7/11/01
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:44:57 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Our guild uses the phrase, "run away screaming like a little girl."

Hehe -- it's been a long time since anything in the "old world" zones
made that phrase applicable to my 52 Paladin (even most things that
can kill me take long enough to do it that I can simply jog
in a leisurely fashion to the zone and make it out without much risk).

But a week ago he definitely "ran away screaming like a
little girl" from the Avatar of Fear in the bottom of the Temple
of Cazic-Thule. (And died before I had made it a third of the way
out.)

Took me by surprise, too, because I could easily solo everything
else in CT, including the other "bosses", so I thought,
"how hard can the Avatar of Fear be?" Run away, run away!

But I got my revenge. After I located a Cleric for a Rez,
the two of us went back down and killed the AoF. Twice in a row.

Sean Kennedy

Jul 12, 2001, 10:51:47 AM7/12/01

hughes <hugh...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

From a 39 magician - It was BROKEN. Big time. When
a minor water conjuration (max level = 29) can out taunt
mid 30's rangers, sk's and warriors, and the mob sticks to
them regardless of what they do, it's broken. In order to
keep my pet for more than a few combat rounds (a sabertooth
tiger can pound a focused water pet down in a very short
time) I was chain casting renew summoning. No nuke, and
way more mana than I should have been spending.

Granted, it was nice for the soloers, but for grouping mages
it was a serious bug. When soloing, I can still manage my
aggro well enough to only get hit a little, it's one of the skills
you learn soloing as a mage, unless you insist on using the
earth pet for a bit of root and nuke.

Dan Harmon

Jul 12, 2001, 10:34:17 PM7/12/01

"Dan Day" <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote in message

I took my 51 enc and 50 druid to CT to farm stuff (seriously underutilized
zone...I don't take any spawn that an experience group wants) thinking it'd
be as easy as SolA is...after all, they're both aimed at the same level
player. And hell, lizards generally leave you alone if you're too high,
unlike SolA!

Oh, I died...both my characters did. Lizard bastards.

I learned not to underestimate CT.

Dan Day

Jul 13, 2001, 3:32:20 PM7/13/01
On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 02:34:17 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>I took my 51 enc and 50 druid to CT to farm stuff (seriously underutilized
>zone...I don't take any spawn that an experience group wants) thinking it'd
>be as easy as SolA is...after all, they're both aimed at the same level
>player. And hell, lizards generally leave you alone if you're too high,
>unlike SolA!
>
>Oh, I died...both my characters did. Lizard bastards.
>
>I learned not to underestimate CT.

Yeah, it's still enough of a challenge to my 52 Paladin to
be exciting (even if every damned thing *is* green and I
get no exp), I've had fun exploring it, since I never
went there earlier in my "career". It's fun trying to
farm Ravenscale and Darkforge armor, too.

And the biggest train I've ever seen in the game was in CT,
a door flew open in the courtyard and what came out made it
look like someone was spraying lizards from a fire hose.

Dalavidu

Jul 16, 2001, 5:56:07 PM7/16/01
I've recently started hunting in Oasis and the hunting is good. Me and my
Pet, Ellie.

What I thought I noticed was that the various creatures there, crocs,
caimans, ghouls, etc do not even notice me. I actually enjoy going hand to
hand and often run in to whacka whack so that Ellie doesn't get annoyed that
she's always doing all the work. The critters never even pay attention to
me and I'm sometimes getting in better whacks than Ellie is. It's like I'm
jumping up and down, whacking away, right in its face yelling, "Hey you! I'm
whacking you here! Please stop killing Ellie!" And generally it just
ignores me.

If I'm frying it from afar, same thing. I'm starting to get my feelings
hurt.

BTW, Ellie is usually Air. I tried an Earth, but I LIKE it when the critter
starts to run away so that Ellie and I can chase its back and kill it at
leisure. I really don't like it when the Earth Pet roots the thing and then
it proceeds to stand there and beat us to kingdom come.

Oh, do you ever feel guilty for running for the Zone and leaving your poor
Pet all alone to die.

Dalavidu, Hands of Mercy
Mage 16th

David Navarro

Jul 16, 2001, 7:52:31 PM7/16/01
Dalavidu wrote:

> Oh, do you ever feel guilty for running for the Zone and leaving your poor
> Pet all alone to die.

That's nothing. I felt guilty for killing *Broon*, of all things. I
mean, the guy has a family... I haven't bothered him since.

Speaking of East Karana... I'm having loads of stupid fun smacking
Mucktail gnolls upside the head and then running them into the arms of a
lion or a giant spider. It's amazing the low faction they have with just
about every other creature in the zone.

--
Hanrahan Thornhide, Druid |
Rhialto, Enchanter | Living and Dying in Fennin Ro

Sean Kennedy

Jul 16, 2001, 9:44:21 PM7/16/01

Dalavidu <da...@madbbs.com> wrote in message

All my pets are named Spike (much to the confusion of some
of my group mates)

The air pet stun is an awesome taunt. It's one of the best
taunters you have. Also, some mobs are more pre-disposed
to pull off your pet on you. Any humanoid mobs *seem* to
be more willing to come after you than animals will.

Go find "an" orc warrior (not "a" orc warrior - big difference
in levels.) you should see a substantial difference in
behavior.

Grimbold

Jul 20, 2001, 9:32:19 AM7/20/01
I don't think it's changed much, Ray. As a 52 mage (with no alt and 93
stinkin playing hours...gotta lub running a guild) I am very aware of that
pet. Some mentionables:

- Mages who exclusively use earth pets live in a different world than all
other pet classes. Since the pet roots constantly and (most) mages use
their malaise series, those things stay in one place. Period. They don't
have to deal with the aggro stealing.

- There was a big nerf in that mobs prefer to hit the sitting mobs. A quick
adjustment (which, IMHO should have been made before anyway) to wait till
the main tank/pet builds up sufficient aggro before sitting is in order.

- Multiple mobs still tend to stick to your engaged-pet-with-mob. Evidently
seeing their friend die still holds more hate for them (don't siddown
though).

So if you're a mage, try switching pets to see the adjustment (and discover
the joy of what those other 3, lil elements can do. =D)

-Grim

Celaeno

Jul 21, 2001, 7:08:18 PM7/21/01
You will not evade me, "Grimbold" <grim...@notreal.address.com>:

>I don't think it's changed much, Ray. As a 52 mage (with no alt and 93
>stinkin playing hours...gotta lub running a guild) I am very aware of that
>pet.

Please say you meant days and not hours, or I'll get depressed :)

Celaeno Duskwalker
Fier'dal druid of Erollisi Marr

Grimbold

Jul 23, 2001, 9:29:26 AM7/23/01
Doh! Yep, dayz. Where's that stinkin coffee?!

"Celaeno" <cel...@shavenwookie.nospam.com> wrote in message