Bone Chips (lots thereof)

Ben

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
I'm just curious really. I occasionally here about people handing in X
thousand bone chips to some NPC e.g. to get faction up in Cabalis.

How do they do that?

I mean, are there some high level large skeletons that drop lots of bone
chips, or have they been buying them off of newbies or farming low level
skeletons (lots)?

OK, obviously you don't know what anyone else has done, but what sounds like
the most plausable explanation?

Cheers
Ben

Y2Bogus

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00

"Ben" <ben.r...@REMOVETHIS.mailcity.com> wrote in message

Well, when I started working on Cabilis faction, I started by buying from
newbies, but it was taking too long, so I headed up to Kurns tower, and set
up shop in the dining room. I pulled a nice huge train of scalebones on
myself, then I unleashed my Sword of the Skyfire. A few procs, and the
entire room came down, leaving me with many bone chips. Another good weapon
with AE proc is the Pain Bringer, or better yet, if you know a wizard with
some nice AE nukes.

eguad

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
Find an enterprising newbie with a little cash, let him
know you'll pay 4pp per stack and you want 20 backpacks
of stacks. He'll go from zone to zone auctioning to buy
at 2pp per stack and pretty quick, you've got your thousands
of chips.

> I'm just curious really. I occasionally here about people handing in X
> thousand bone chips to some NPC e.g. to get faction up in Cabalis.
>
> How do they do that?
>
> I mean, are there some high level large skeletons that drop lots of bone
> chips, or have they been buying them off of newbies or farming low level
> skeletons (lots)?
>
> OK, obviously you don't know what anyone else has done, but what sounds
like
> the most plausable explanation?
>

> Cheers
> Ben

Tukka Yoot

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
> I'm just curious really. I occasionally here about people handing in X
> thousand bone chips to some NPC e.g. to get faction up in Cabalis.
>
> How do they do that?
>
> I mean, are there some high level large skeletons that drop lots of bone
> chips, or have they been buying them off of newbies or farming low level
> skeletons (lots)?
>
> OK, obviously you don't know what anyone else has done, but what sounds like
> the most plausable explanation?

Go to the Paineel newbie yard. You are probably KOS there unless you
are anything but an Cazic-worshipping erudite, but the guards are green
there by level 35 or so anyway, and they won't bother you. Presuming
there isn't somebody else already there farming bone chips, there will
almost ALWAYS be a decaying skeleton within sight. If you're a pet
class (and there are no newbies in the area that you would be KSing,)
make a hotkey: /pet attack decaying skeleton (yes, your pet will go
attack the nearest decaying skeleton, even if you don't have one
targeted.) There's tons of bone chips to be had. It still would take a
long time to accumulate thousands of them, but this is the quickest way
that I know.
It's also a good place to obtain snake eggs and bat wings in bulk
quantities (yes, I'm aware of the fact that there are vendors which sell
bat wings.)

Elliot Williams

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00

Tukka Yoot <tu...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
<lots of snipping>

> make a hotkey: /pet attack decaying skeleton (yes, your pet will go
> attack the nearest decaying skeleton, even if you don't have one
> targeted.) There's tons of bone chips to be had. It still would take a
<still more snipping>

I have never heard of this before. (Not really surprising, my highest
pet casting character is level 5). I wonder what are the limits of this
ability? Will this work anywhere in a zone? This could make any pet class a
great tracker. Basically, isn't this what happens with the Langsaxe quest?
Basil or Paglan spawn, and Frostbite tracks him across the zone. Can this be
used to find any spawns in a zone? Can a necro type /pet attack werewolf in
WK and just follow his pet to the spawn if it's up? Actually, if this does
have unlimited range, I think it would make a pet class a better tracker
than a ranger, since the list would presumably not be cut off as it is for
trackers. How easy would it be to check for rare spawns, stick your head in
the zone, summon a low level pet, type /pet attack karg icebear, if it
doesn't move, gate out to the next zone.

I expect this is not what happens, it probably has a visual or
aggro-type range, I'm sure someone has tried it before, but... Anyone know
for sure?

Suden, 24 warrior

Tukka Yoot

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
Okay, I just tested it, and there is a pretty strict range limit on
it. If you type /pet attack grimfeather, for example, it will not run
off and attack GrimFeather (and will give no indication whatsoever about
whether or not GrimFeather is in the zone)... but once the pet gets
close to GrimFeather (unless you belay the order somewhere along the
line,) it will attack ("close enough" is pretty close... usually you
would spot the mob first with your own eyes, but perhaps not)
So pets aren't going to replace rangers as trackers anytime soon. :)

Tukka Yoot

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
> I have never heard of this before. (Not really surprising, my highest
> pet casting character is level 5). I wonder what are the limits of this
> ability? Will this work anywhere in a zone? This could make any pet class a
> great tracker. Basically, isn't this what happens with the Langsaxe quest?
> Basil or Paglan spawn, and Frostbite tracks him across the zone. Can this be
> used to find any spawns in a zone? Can a necro type /pet attack werewolf in
> WK and just follow his pet to the spawn if it's up? Actually, if this does
> have unlimited range, I think it would make a pet class a better tracker
> than a ranger, since the list would presumably not be cut off as it is for
> trackers. How easy would it be to check for rare spawns, stick your head in
> the zone, summon a low level pet, type /pet attack karg icebear, if it
> doesn't move, gate out to the next zone.
>
> I expect this is not what happens, it probably has a visual or
> aggro-type range, I'm sure someone has tried it before, but... Anyone know
> for sure?

There is a range limitation. I tried charming a wolf with my druid in
Lesser Faydark to help me track down Thistle Underbrush when my own
tracking skill just wasn't cutting it. :) Although I'm not sure how
well this would work anyway, since the wolf is too low a level to want
to attack Thistle. But anyway, what happened was the wolf just started
pacing back and forth a lot.
I'll have to test it a bit more thoroughly with one of my pet classes.

evilsofa

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
In article <3a083cf5$1...@primark.com>, "Ben"
<ben.r...@REMOVETHIS.mailcity.com> wrote:

> I'm just curious really. I occasionally here about people
> handing in X thousand bone chips to some NPC e.g. to get
> faction up in Cabalis.
>
> How do they do that?
>
> I mean, are there some high level large skeletons that drop
> lots of bone chips, or have they been buying them off of
> newbies or farming low level skeletons (lots)?
>
> OK, obviously you don't know what anyone else has done, but
> what sounds like the most plausable explanation?

Kurn's Tower.

There must be, I dunno, what, 100, 200? fast skeleton spawns in
there... when my DE necro runs out of bone chips, rather than pay
for bone chips (I'm a cheapskate), I just go there and collect a
few backpacksful.

--
"Ninety percent of everything is crap." - Theodore Sturgeon
There is now over 550 billion pages of info on the World Wide Web.

Mekron

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
It only works when the mob is in aggro range of the pet - which isn't a very
large radius.

"Elliot Williams" <su...@look.ca> wrote in message

> Tukka Yoot <tu...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> <lots of snipping>
> > make a hotkey: /pet attack decaying skeleton (yes, your pet will go
> > attack the nearest decaying skeleton, even if you don't have one
> > targeted.) There's tons of bone chips to be had. It still would take a
> <still more snipping>
>

> I have never heard of this before. (Not really surprising, my highest
> pet casting character is level 5). I wonder what are the limits of this
> ability? Will this work anywhere in a zone? This could make any pet class
> great tracker. Basically, isn't this what happens with the Langsaxe quest?
> Basil or Paglan spawn, and Frostbite tracks him across the zone. Can this
be
> used to find any spawns in a zone? Can a necro type /pet attack werewolf
in
> WK and just follow his pet to the spawn if it's up? Actually, if this does
> have unlimited range, I think it would make a pet class a better tracker
> than a ranger, since the list would presumably not be cut off as it is for
> trackers. How easy would it be to check for rare spawns, stick your head
in
> the zone, summon a low level pet, type /pet attack karg icebear, if it
> doesn't move, gate out to the next zone.
>
> I expect this is not what happens, it probably has a visual or
> aggro-type range, I'm sure someone has tried it before, but... Anyone know
> for sure?
>

> Suden, 24 warrior

El Diablo

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
evilsofa wrote:

> Kurn's Tower.
>
> There must be, I dunno, what, 100, 200? fast skeleton spawns in
> there... when my DE necro runs out of bone chips, rather than pay
> for bone chips (I'm a cheapskate), I just go there and collect a
> few backpacksful.

Errrr... Kurn's tower... I know this name but I can't remind where is
it.

--
---------- El Diablo ----------

Life is a dream and the rest is silence...
Change your eyes and your mind follows.

Sylath

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Its in the Iksar newbie starting zone Field of Bone.

Sylath

"El Diablo" <El.D...@Welcome.Hell.com> wrote in message

Robert Miller

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Kurn's Tower beside the Pit in Field of Bone is great. It's what I
use. Someone with better transport should go to Paineel. faster
kills and even more of 'em