Looking for Mage / Enchanter opinions.

DriftingDust

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
I will be joining two friends of mine for what will most often be 3 person
groups.

We have one Druid, and one Necro.

Seems like an Enchanter or a Mage might be the best way to complete the
trio.

Any opinions?

DriftingDust

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
Some additional detail that may help: With just three of us, I imagine that
we will concentrate on outdoor spawns primarily, venturing occasionally into
dungeons, but avoiding fighting more than a couple of mobs at once.

"DriftingDust" <du...@xnet.com> wrote in message

Chffan1

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
i would go enchanter or necro. enchanter could give clarity to all 3, a
necro could use call of bones/lich and add a nasty pet to the trio, i have a
54 necro and i group with another necro often, we have little downtime.

enchanters would allow you to fight 2-3 mobs at once with ease, but a 2nd
necro adds much more damage. shaman might be a consideration for you as
well. as for mages, i just dont think i'd go there, just my opinion.

enchanter or necro, both would be great, maybe shaman, dunno, good luck tho

Arthur Nierenberg

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
ummmm...what happened to having a tank in the group? get a warrior! 2 pets
doesnt really sub for one warrior. my 2 cp

Tyfin

Billy Shields

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
Chffan1 <Chf...@aol.com> wrote:
: i would go enchanter or necro. enchanter could give clarity to all 3, a

: necro could use call of bones/lich and add a nasty pet to the trio, i have a
: 54 necro and i group with another necro often, we have little downtime.

Just to clarify: clarity and CoB/lich do not stack.

: enchanters would allow you to fight 2-3 mobs at once with ease, but a 2nd

: necro adds much more damage. shaman might be a consideration for you as
: well. as for mages, i just dont think i'd go there, just my opinion.

: enchanter or necro, both would be great, maybe shaman, dunno, good luck tho

I think shaman would be an excellent addition. It does however
kinda conflict (or at least cross over) with the druid. Necro +
shaman + tank is an *excellent* trio.

Mage has pros and cons to it. It would certainly balance out the
necro pet (in terms of one pet doing too much damage; that you
want to avoid).

With shaman + necro I'd suggest rogue or monk (or even warrior).
With necro + druid its a little more difficult. Mage might be
OK.

Dagoril

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
> : i would go enchanter or necro. enchanter could give clarity to all 3, a
> : necro could use call of bones/lich and add a nasty pet to the trio, i have a
> : 54 necro and i group with another necro often, we have little downtime.
>
> Just to clarify: clarity and CoB/lich do not stack.

Clarity used to stack with cob and lich, but they fixed that several
months ago. Cob and lich are much more efficient for the necro than
clarity is.

> With shaman + necro I'd suggest rogue or monk (or even warrior).
> With necro + druid its a little more difficult. Mage might be
> OK.

Indeed. A tank would round out this group better than a magician or
enchanter. But play what you want! Invite a tank to join the three of
you if you don't want to play a tank.

--Dag

ken

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
You can also be a warrior or monk. There are some situation where pet would
be humbug and puller is useful.

Since other 2 is pretty balanced you can play any class you enjoy. For
example cleric will help exp. loss at higher level too... etc.

Morgan

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
DriftingDust wrote:

> I will be joining two friends of mine for what will most often be 3 person
> groups.
>
> We have one Druid, and one Necro.
>
> Seems like an Enchanter or a Mage might be the best way to complete the
> trio.
>
> Any opinions?

The Magician would be fairly redundant with the Necromancer. I would
choose a real fighter over the Magician. A Warrior, Ranger, Paladin,
Shadowknight or Monk would work well. Bards are not great tanks, and
pretty redundant with the Druid. I would not trust the Necro pet to
taunt well enough to make a Rogue viable. Since you are making a
permanent group, you can rely on the Druid and Necro to bind you or run
to town to buy things for you when you need it and for the Druid to
move the whole group around later on, so the limitations of a tank
should not be too tough on you.

The Enchanter is a terrific class to play and makes a great partner
to the Druid and Necromancer later on because of crowd control and
Clarity.

Druid and Necromancer cover just about every basic ability between
them. Any class you choose to play should work well with them. Pick
whatever you think will be the most fun for you.

--
Morgan
(crossposting to rec.games.computer.everquest just to annoy bizbee)

Someone

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Got to agree, a tank would go well in this group.
A bard might be worth considering.
OK, they dont tank as well as warriors, but with healing song and eventually
mana song (which I believe does work with the necros mana spells) you will
have less downtime.
Bard is likely to be more fun anyway (than a warrior)

"Dagoril" <nos...@forme.com> wrote in message

Billy Shields

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Dagoril <nos...@forme.com> wrote:
:> : i would go enchanter or necro. enchanter could give clarity to all 3, a

:> : necro could use call of bones/lich and add a nasty pet to the trio, i have a
:> : 54 necro and i group with another necro often, we have little downtime.
:>
:> Just to clarify: clarity and CoB/lich do not stack.
:>

: Clarity used to stack with cob and lich, but they fixed that several
: months ago. Cob and lich are much more efficient for the necro than
: clarity is.

I believe it goes:

Clarity: tops out at 7mana/tick
Clarity 2: tops out at 11mana/tick
Allure of Death: 4mana/tick (forget the hp cost)
Call of Bones: 8mana/tick (for 20hp/tick)
Lich: 16mana/tick (for 32hp/tick)
Demilich: 31mana/tick (for 48hp/tick)

I'm not sure of Breeze but I suspect its 3-4mana/tick. Likewise
I can't recall the stats of Dark Pact.

:> With shaman + necro I'd suggest rogue or monk (or even warrior).

:> With necro + druid its a little more difficult. Mage might be
:> OK.

: Indeed. A tank would round out this group better than a magician or
: enchanter. But play what you want! Invite a tank to join the three of
: you if you don't want to play a tank.

The thing you need to avoid with small groups is having a pet
which will outdamage the only other damage dealer in the group
(the druid really isn't there for damage dealing; they're
more utility/healing). A monk or rogue is a good choice for
a small group with a good pet.

: --Dag

Mtene

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Magician lower down time just as much in an out door hunting party.
Enchanter will only make a huge difference in a dungeon. So if you plan to
hunt outside a lot go with the mage, inside go with the enchanter.