Pet Xp

Leo

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00

How does pet XP work? I know that they get up to 50% but what is it applied to?

Does the xp/lvls carry over when you upgrade spells to a new pet?

How can you tell how much xp your pet has acquired?

Lance Berg

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00

Leo wrote:

Pets do not accumulate xp, they merely reduce the amount you
get as a PC. If you solo, they can take a hefty chunk, particularly
if you are not careful to make sure you do more than half
the damage. In a group, they take just 1%, assuming that
they don't do over half the damage, which is quite unlikely
unless you are letting them fight a low blue while the entire
party watches, swilling blackburrow stout and placing bets.

As your pet dies each time you log, each time you zone,
and each time things get a little out of hand and you decide
he should die rather than you, its hard to imagine one
ever stealing enough xp to actually level. Still, if you
really want to try this, set up a situation where the pet
can fight and win against some blues with no help,
then check his level. Make pets repeatedly until you
get one at the lowest level compared to you, then
let that one do all the killing singlehandedly. Check
his con to you occaisionally, if it ever changes before
you level, get on here and report back. I promise to
be amazed.

Pente

Sandjumper

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
yeah .. was taking on an elite gnoll in BB with my necro .. i was getting a
sliver of exp for each 2 kills cuz my pet kept outdamaging me ;)

--
Sandjumper Jones
Halfling Druid of the 40th Circle

"Lance Berg" <emp...@success.net> wrote in message

Lance Berg

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00

Sandjumper wrote:

> yeah .. was taking on an elite gnoll in BB with my necro .. i was getting a
> sliver of exp for each 2 kills cuz my pet kept outdamaging me ;)

The beauty of this is that if you group, even with one partner, this
effect pretty much disappears; since your pet now has to outdamage
the entire group to steal half, instead of just you.

Its even more fun to group with another pet handler; say you work
side by side, each killing a mob a minute, never touching each
other's mobs at all. Your pets, naturally, do over half the damage
in each case. If you are not grouped, both of you take serious
xp penalty. Grouped, the same thing. But if you direct your
efforts to one target at a time, both pets, both mages... suddenly
even if you kill exactly the same number of mobs, using exactly
the same amount of mana, you will see the pets taking just 2% of the
exp instead of 50%, since neither pet did more than half the damage.

Pente

Dan Harmon

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
Leo <leo...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

> How does pet XP work? I know that they get up to 50% but what is it
applied to?

Realistically, your pet doesn't get any experience, he simply steals some of
yours. He doesn't get stronger/better, nor do any future pets.

The experience stolen doesn't apply to anything...it just goes up in smoke
(that's probably what those UFOs in Oasis are made of).

Dorian Brytestar (KoTC)

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
Have the tests changed regarding pets? From the data I saw, if you are
grouped, the pets take 0-1% no matter if they do all the damage.

Dorian Brytestar
51st lvl High Elf Cleric of Tunare
Povar
http://www.knightsofthecreed.com
(need flash installed to view correctly)

"Lance Berg" <emp...@success.net> wrote in message

Lance Berg

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00

"Dorian Brytestar (KoTC)" wrote:

> Have the tests changed regarding pets? From the data I saw, if you are
> grouped, the pets take 0-1% no matter if they do all the damage.

> uty of this is that if you group, even with one partner, this
>

> > efforts to one target at a time, both pets, both mages... suddenly
> > even if you kill exactly the same number of mobs, using exactly
> > the same amount of mana, you will see the pets taking just 2% of the
> > exp instead of 50%, since neither pet did more than half the damage.
> >
> > Pente

I don't have access to actual data, I know that
they indeed don't take much if you behave normally,
but haven't field tested the conflicting rumors as to
whether they take more if they do over half damage
while grouped.

So, if me and a buddy park our pets in a light blue
spawn site, sit down to med nearby, and go out
for burgers, we should come back leveled? Well,
this already works, but if the pets don't care whether
they did over half damage, it would work much
better...

Pente
working on his faction GameMechanicsResearchers