DOOM & Ensoniq SoundScape problem

Message has been deleted

Jay Wilbur

Dec 13, 1994, 10:31:41 AM12/13/94
du...@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Dudek) wrote:

> (text deleted)
> Is there something special that I have to do to get this soundcard to work
> with DOOM?

The crew at Ensonic have worked out a fix for the card via a software driver.
Please give their tech. support a call or archie Ensoniq to see if
they maintain a place on the net where you can score the driver.

-j

Ryan McGinnis

Dec 13, 1994, 2:31:30 PM12/13/94

The fix will be posted to the BBS on Wednesday. As far as I know there
is no spot on the net that maintains Ensonic drivers... at least, thats
what Ensonic said.

-------------------
Ryan McGinnis
Sioux City, IA USA
-------------------
Standard Disclaimer: All opinions are that of my brain, and not that of
my fingers. My fingers are merely keyboard service providers and have no
input into what goes into my messages.

Frank J. Pichler

Dec 13, 1994, 3:52:46 PM12/13/94
In article <D0qn5...@acsu.buffalo.edu>, du...@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Dudek) says:

>I just got a Gateway Pentium-90 PC with the Ensoniq SoundScape wavetable
>card. It is supposed to be SoundBlaster compatible.
>Is there something special that I have to do to get this soundcard to work
>with DOOM? ...

We should start our own news group, maybe alt.screwed.by.Ensoniq.and.Gateway.
I've had nothing but trouble with the P5-90 / SoundScape combination since I got my
system in September. The limited success I've had running any SoundBlaster compatible
software is after a minimal DOS boot (just enough loaded to run the CD-ROM and set the
soundboard variables). I've spent scores of minutes in Gateway-TechSupport-Hold-Hell waiting
for help, only to hang up in frustration. Ensoniq themselves say the problem is Gateway's,
although they are releasing a new set of drivers soon (for SALE, no less!!!). They may sell
ONE before I (oops, I mean someone...) smears it all over the network for the rest of the
victims to download. Check out the 'tech' soundcard newsgroup for further developments.

Frank

Bruce Geerdes

Dec 13, 1994, 2:52:18 AM12/13/94
In article <Pine.SCO.3.90.941213112954.1165A-100000@quest> Ryan McGinnis <mcg...@quest.witcc.cc.ia.us> writes:
> The fix will be posted to the BBS on Wednesday. As far as I know there
>is no spot on the net that maintains Ensonic drivers... at least, thats
>what Ensonic said.

I found the 1.10 drivers on wuarchive at /pub/msdos_uploads/ensoniq. If the
first person to get the 1.20 drivers could upload them there, I'm sure a lot
of people would appreciate it.
---
Bruce Geerdes (bgee...@rmii.com)

Eric D. Wolfgang

Dec 14, 1994, 11:32:07 AM12/14/94
David Dudek (du...@acsu.buffalo.edu) wrote:

: I just got a Gateway Pentium-90 PC with the Ensoniq SoundScape wavetable
: card. It is supposed to be SoundBlaster compatible. I can get the
: SoundBlaster mode to work with most games except DOOM v1.666.

: I run the setup programs for the Ensoniq, and then I run setup for DOOM and
: select the SB option at the proper addresses, IRQ's etc.. This machine is
: for my office. My 486 at home has a genuine SB, and I have no problems.

: Is there something special that I have to do to get this soundcard to work
: with DOOM?
: --
: David Thomas Dudek, Coordinator of Student Consultants __ _ The Cybard
: Academic Services, Computing & Information Technology / `-' ) ,,,
: State University of New York at Buffalo | | ()|||||||[:::}
: du...@acsu.buffalo.edu, du...@ubvms.buffalo.edu `__.-._) '''

David,

The SC-600 doesn't work with doom. Ensoniq is supposedly Beta-testing a
patch now. I'm hoping to see it soon.

How do you like this card. The sound is great, but I've been having a lot
of troubles getting FX with various games, and my recording doesn't work
correctly. I'm on my third board, and each one has had a different problem.

Eric

sp...@ix.netcom.com

Dec 15, 1994, 1:34:35 AM12/15/94
In <D0qn5...@acsu.buffalo.edu> du...@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Dudek)
writes:

>I just got a Gateway Pentium-90 PC with the Ensoniq SoundScape

>wavetable card. Is there something special that I have to do to get

>this soundcard to work with DOOM?

Yes.

According to the file update.txt, which I downloaded from the Ensoniq
bbs on monday, Ensoniq has completed the soundfx fix patch. The text
file stated that Ensoniq would post the patch to their bbs on wednesday
(12/14). The file also said Ensoniq would forward the patch to Gateway
and Reveal for posting on their respective boards as well as to their
forums on the major on-line services. I logged off the Ensoniq bbs
about two hours ago(11:30 P.M. eastern standard time, 12/14).
Unfortunately, the patch was nowhere to be found. I do not know what
Ensoniq is trying to pull. I just hope Ensoniq and Reveal get their
acts together, stop telling un-truths, and get the patch to their paying
customers.

Oh yes, the patch has appeared on neither the Reveal
bbs nor the Reveal forum on CompuServe.

By the way, the patch is supposed to fix problems with no less than 39
games.

One more note: The Netcom News server has been down for awhile. If
this info has already been circulated, I apologise for wasting your
time.
--
Sean Potter Miami, Fl USA

Scott J. Mark

Dec 15, 1994, 10:13:28 AM12/15/94
In article <bgeerdes.6...@rmii.com>,
Bruce Geerdes <bgee...@rmii.com> wrote:

>I found the 1.10 drivers on wuarchive at /pub/msdos_uploads/ensoniq. If the
>first person to get the 1.20 drivers could upload them there, I'm sure a lot
>of people would appreciate it.

wuarchive is so incredibly difficult to get onto -- and I get three chances
per day via ftpmail, at the most.

Isn't there some other machine that would be suitable?

Scott
--
They laughed at Einstein. They laughed at Columbus. *Nobody* laughed at Tesla.

Scott Mark (219) 262-7452 8:00 - 4:30 EST
s...@se01.elk.miles.com

F.Cabral

Dec 16, 1994, 9:47:16 AM12/16/94
In article <D0qn5...@acsu.buffalo.edu>,

David Dudek <du...@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:

>I just got a Gateway Pentium-90 PC with the Ensoniq SoundScape wavetable
>card. It is supposed to be SoundBlaster compatible. I can get the
>SoundBlaster mode to work with most games except DOOM v1.666.

I have a TB Tropez and I too was having trouble with doom on my p90. It turns
out by changing the IRQ to 5 instead of 7 for the SB setup in doom I was able
to get it to work (with GM for music). What I've heard is pentium motherboards
use IRQ 7 for printer support. This causes conflicts with some games and the SB
mode in wave table cards. AN interaction between the SB mode and the GM IRQ's
along with the pentium MB seem to cause this problem.

I don't know how true this is but it works for me :-)

--
* Felix Cabral {fel...@hoscd.ho.att.com} "Give me nukin winds, *
* AT&T Bell Labs { att!hoscd!felixc } a rad board, rad waves, *

Ryan McGinnis

Dec 13, 1994, 1:31:30 AM12/13/94
On 13 Dec 1994, Jay Wilbur wrote:

The fix will be posted to the BBS on Wednesday. As far as I know there

is no spot on the net that maintains Ensonic drivers... at least, thats
what Ensonic said.

G. David Frye

Dec 16, 1994, 2:24:26 PM12/16/94
In article <1994Dec15.1...@se01.elk.miles.com>,

Scott J. Mark <s...@se01.elk.miles.com> wrote:
>wuarchive is so incredibly difficult to get onto -- and I get three chances
>per day via ftpmail, at the most.
>
>Isn't there some other machine that would be suitable?

Once I receive a good copy of the 1.2 drivers, I will make them available
via FTP on my own system -- for a couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

G. David Frye
University of Illinois
g...@uiuc.edu

William Smargiassi

Dec 16, 1994, 11:02:02 AM12/16/94
In article <D0wrq...@nntpa.cb.att.com>, fel...@hoscd.ho.att.com (F.Cabral) says:
>I have a TB Tropez and I too was having trouble with doom on my p90. It turns
>out by changing the IRQ to 5 instead of 7 for the SB setup in doom I was able
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>to get it to work (with GM for music). What I've heard is pentium motherboards
>use IRQ 7 for printer support. This causes conflicts with some games and the SB

>I don't know how true this is but it works for me :-)

Last I checked IRQ 7 is pretty much standard for LPT1 on PCs, and
always has been. IRQ 5 is for LPT2 if you have one, but most people
don't. Incidentally, IRQ 5 is the factory preset for SB (if you get the
retail version, no telling what it's set to if it comes pre-installed).

bill

Sanford Evans Walke IV

Dec 16, 1994, 3:34:54 PM12/16/94
On 15 Dec 1994 sp...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Oh yes, the patch has appeared on neither the Reveal
> bbs nor the Reveal forum on CompuServe.
>
> By the way, the patch is supposed to fix problems with no less than 39
> games.

So are reveal cards ensoniq cards?

Sandy

se...@izzy.net

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebullum."

I don't speak for anyone but me, and sometimes not even that.

Sanford Evans Walke IV

Dec 16, 1994, 6:04:54 PM12/16/94
On Fri, 16 Dec 1994, Stephen Carter Morgan wrote:

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.games you write:
>
> >So are reveal cards ensoniq cards?
>

> The Reveal SoundFX Wave 32 is. It has the exact same software too. One store
> is selling both with the Reveal card $35 cheaper, though. (Ripoff!). I think
> the other Reveal cards are Aztechs or somebody elses.

so where can I get this driver upgrade?

-----

Sandy

se...@izzy.net

"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live
in the real world." -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

Brian Kidby

Dec 16, 1994, 10:19:57 PM12/16/94
fel...@hoscd.ho.att.com (F.Cabral) writes:

>I have a TB Tropez and I too was having trouble with doom on my p90. It turns
>out by changing the IRQ to 5 instead of 7 for the SB setup in doom I was able
>to get it to work (with GM for music). What I've heard is pentium motherboards
>use IRQ 7 for printer support. This causes conflicts with some games and the SB
>mode in wave table cards. AN interaction between the SB mode and the GM IRQ's
>along with the pentium MB seem to cause this problem.

>I don't know how true this is but it works for me :-)

Actually, IRQ 7 is commonly used for the printer, and not just on Pentium
baseboards. You will ALWAYS have sound problems if you set your SB (or
SB emulator) to use the same IRQ that another baseboard subsystem is trying
to use. This is what we in the industry call "cockpit error". Your Pentium
had nothing to do with it.

(Sigh...)

Brian K.
The Kid My thoughts and actions are strictly my own.
the...@ornews.intel.com Do not hold my employers responsible.

Tim Knowlton

Dec 17, 1994, 1:08:00 PM12/17/94
-=> Now quoting what David Dudek yelled at All <=-

DD> I just got a Gateway Pentium-90 PC with the Ensoniq SoundScape
DD> wavetable card. It is supposed to be SoundBlaster compatible. I can
DD> get the SoundBlaster mode to work with most games except DOOM v1.666.

DD> I run the setup programs for the Ensoniq, and then I run setup for
DD> DOOM and select the SB option at the proper addresses, IRQ's etc..
DD> This machine is for my office. My 486 at home has a genuine SB, and I
DD> have no problems.
DD> Is there something special that I have to do to get this soundcard to
DD> work with DOOM?

Wait for DOOM 1.8 and/or get the new TSR's from Ensoniq from Gateway's BBS.
That should help...

-Tim

... Aibohphobia-(n.): the fear of palindromes.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Forest Pearson

Dec 18, 1994, 11:11:16 AM12/18/94
William Smargiassi (wsmar...@acm.org) wrote:
: >to get it to work (with GM for music). What I've heard is pentium motherboards

: >use IRQ 7 for printer support. This causes conflicts with some games and the SB

: Last I checked IRQ 7 is pretty much standard for LPT1 on PCs, and

: always has been. IRQ 5 is for LPT2 if you have one, but most people
: don't. Incidentally, IRQ 5 is the factory preset for SB (if you get the
: retail version, no telling what it's set to if it comes pre-installed).

If you have the IRQ set to 7 (as on old soundblasters) there usually
shouldn't be a problem because most people do not try to print and play
games at the same time!!!

--
Ferret, fs...@ludd.luth.se
http://www.ludd.luth.se/~fsfkp

It's really quite a simple choice: Life, Death, or Los Angeles.

Dr. Steven Herf

Dec 18, 1994, 8:16:28 PM12/18/94
In article <3coo1r$e...@ixnews2.ix.netcom.com> sp...@ix.netcom.com writes:
>In <D0qn5...@acsu.buffalo.edu> du...@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Dudek)
>writes:
>>I just got a Gateway Pentium-90 PC with the Ensoniq SoundScape
>>wavetable card. Is there something special that I have to do to get
>>this soundcard to work with DOOM?

The patch is available in the Washington University, St Louis Archives
under pub/MS_DOS/Ensoniq/s2k_updt.zip. When unzipped and loaded per
instructions it runs on Doom without any problems.

Steve

William Smargiassi

Dec 19, 1994, 10:45:37 AM12/19/94
In article <3d1mv4$2...@omega.ludd.luth.se>, fs...@ludd.luth.se (Forest Pearson) says:
>If you have the IRQ set to 7 (as on old soundblasters) there usually
>shouldn't be a problem because most people do not try to print and play
>games at the same time!!!

I didn't buy a Pentium to play games (I bought it because a 486-50 will
seem pretty slow in 12 months, a 66MHz might last a little longer...).
I may not play games while I print, but I *do* use sound in Windows,
and guess what...I print from Windows as well! Imagine that. What
a novel idea, a Pentium, a CD-ROM and a sound card and I don't just
want to play Doom. If that's all I wanted, I'd buy a Jaguar and save
about $1,000 (or more, I don't know what a good Jaguar setup will cost).

bill

Gregory C. Jenkins

Dec 20, 1994, 8:46:41 PM12/20/94
Tim Knowlton (tim.kn...@mgmtsys.com) wrote:
: -=> Now quoting what David Dudek yelled at All <=-

: -Tim

Version 1.2 of the Ensoniq Soundscape drivers are now available. They fix the
problems with Doom II. They are available for FTP at wuarchive.wustl.edu in
the /pub/msdos-upload/ensoniq directory. File name: S2K12-16.ZIP
--
\ \|/
/| \ -O-

Gregory C. Jenkins gcje...@starbase.spd.louisville.edu
University of Louisville
Electrical Engineering

bmcd...@cedar.cic.net

Dec 21, 1994, 12:25:28 PM12/21/94

I fingered he...@idsoftware.com and as of Dec 12 (or thereabouts), Gateway is
supposed to post a patch for the DOOM fix. Hope it's up there soon.

-------------------------------------
Brian McDonald
bmcd...@cedar.cic.net

Mick J Hellstrom

Dec 20, 1994, 5:02:50 PM12/20/94

So what you're trying to say here Willy, is that you bought your PC not
to play games.... who cares? This is an alt.games.doom newsgroup where
most of the people here have bought PCs to play DOOM on. Mind you there's
no point buying a Pentium for playing DOOM, I have a 486DX2-66 with a
VESA Local Bus #9 64 bit GXEPro and the video is as smooth as a baby's
bottom. No need whatsoever to upgrade to a Pentium.

--
+--------------FROM: Mick J Hellstrom-------------+
| Email:mi...@jtec.com.au | Cruci dum spiro fido |
| | Venimus, |-+
| Ph: +61 2 390 0188 | Vidimus, | |
| P.O. Box 109 | Dolavimus | |
| Lindfield, NSW 2072 | | |
| Australia | #include <std_discl.h> | |
+-------------------------------------------------+ |
| http://joshua.jtec.com.au:8000/~mick/home.html |

David Mackintosh

Dec 21, 1994, 12:55:09 AM12/21/94
In article <3d2mtc$m...@cedar.evansville.edu> he...@uenics.evansville.edu (Dr. Steven Herf) writes:
>The patch is available in the Washington University, St Louis Archives
>under pub/MS_DOS/Ensoniq/s2k_updt.zip. When unzipped and loaded per
>instructions it runs on Doom without any problems.

I haven't been able to get into wuarchive, what is the Wash. U. address?

David Mackintosh Germantown, MD, USA DoD #1360
mack...@oasys.dt.navy.mil '92 Santana Sovereign '89 Hawk GT

Mark A. Lynch

Dec 21, 1994, 10:31:48 PM12/21/94
William Smargiassi (wsmar...@acm.org) wrote:

: bill

Bill, I think that you will find that windoze uses a different
configuration that does dos. I have my Turtle beach using IRQ 7, 220, 1
and I reconfigured my P90 bios to use irq 5 with lpt1, but don't change
it's port address.

Windoze used irq 9, for my card and some other dma...... at least that's
what windoze says....

BTW: I also print, get clip art, and listen to sounds from my P90 all
while making money with those actions. But doom is real nice on a p90,
it's my only game.

| Mark Lynch | I can't believe I was able to get along for so long |
| | without a P90/24m/1gig! |
| m...@infinet.com | Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my Pepsi |

William Smargiassi

Dec 22, 1994, 11:12:19 AM12/22/94
m...@infinet.com (Mark A. Lynch) wrote:
>Bill, I think that you will find that windoze uses a different
>configuration that does dos. I have my Turtle beach using IRQ 7, 220, 1
>and I reconfigured my P90 bios to use irq 5 with lpt1, but don't change
>it's port address.
>
>Windoze used irq 9, for my card and some other dma...... at least that's
>what windoze says....

IRQ levels have nothing to do with DOS or Windows. They have to do with
way PCs are built. You can't use different IRQs with the same devices in
DOS and Windows, or OS/2 and Unix. There are loose de facto standards
and some strict ones that define what IRQs and port addresses are used
for what devices, but not all. In the end, machines are configured with
whatever works for that specific machine. It has nothing to do with your
choice of operating system.

Your card may use two IRQs (it is a good one, so I think it's likely). The Ensoniq
they are selling now does. One for midi and one for digital audio. Which of
course means you can do both at the same time...

>BTW: I also print, get clip art, and listen to sounds from my P90 all
>while making money with those actions. But doom is real nice on a p90,
>it's my only game.

I never registered Doom, it seemed too easy. I got to the end in a weekend so
I can't justify paying $40 just to see Barney get blown away. I kind of got bored
with it. (Uh-Oh, this is cross-posted to some Doom groups, I've just committed
major flame bait... ;-)

bill