Error message: Error decompressing sprite

Kai Ulrich

Nov 2, 2002, 4:21:47 PM11/2/02

last week i bought "Diablo II" and the expansion pack "Lord of Destruction".
After a view minutes of playing, i get following error message

Diablo II Error
Halt
Location : D2CMP\SRCCodec.cpp, line #1627
Expression: Error decompressing sprite

On the Blizzard support website, they say, that i should reinstall Diablo II
and if this dosen't help, i have to copy the d2char.mpq.
Both solutions dosen't help me.

I get this error messages with Diablo II 1.03, 1.07 & 1.09 (local game or
Battle.Net) and I tried the game under Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP.

Can somebody tell me, what else can I do?

Sorry for my bad english.

Kai

Hacksaw

Nov 2, 2002, 4:47:04 PM11/2/02

"Kai Ulrich" <furvan-n-o-s-p-...@xmail.net> wrote in message
> Hi,

Hi.

> last week i bought "Diablo II" and the expansion pack "Lord of
Destruction".
> After a view minutes of playing, i get following error message
>
> Diablo II Error
> Halt
> Location : D2CMP\SRCCodec.cpp, line #1627
> Expression: Error decompressing sprite
>
> On the Blizzard support website, they say, that i should reinstall Diablo
II
> and if this dosen't help, i have to copy the d2char.mpq.
> Both solutions dosen't help me.

First, make sure you are running the latest video drivers for your video
card. Second, reinstall DirectX. I've had both of those steps solve similar
problems for me.

> Sorry for my bad english.

Your english is fine. If you hadn't said this I wouldn't have guessed it
wasn't your native language.

Good luck!

--- Hacksaw

Kai Ulrich

Nov 3, 2002, 6:45:47 AM11/3/02

"Hacksaw" <nos...@nospam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Kai Ulrich

Nov 3, 2002, 6:48:16 AM11/3/02

thanks for your fast answer. I tried your suggestions. For my old video
card, there are no new video drivers available (I use a old Diamond
Stealth). Then I installed MS DirectX 8.1. After a view minutes of playing,
I get the errormessage aggain.

Is this a software or a hardware problem?

Kai

Rajii

Nov 3, 2002, 7:55:02 AM11/3/02
Kai Ulrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your fast answer. I tried your suggestions. For my old
> video card, there are no new video drivers available (I use a old
> Diamond Stealth). Then I installed MS DirectX 8.1. After a view
> minutes of playing, I get the errormessage aggain.
>
> Is this a software or a hardware problem?
>
> Kai

I used to get this regularly, the only way I found to fix it was to
write protect all the .mpq files except for the patch one.

Rajii

Hacksaw

Nov 3, 2002, 3:42:24 PM11/3/02

> Hi,
>
> thanks for your fast answer. I tried your suggestions. For my old video
> card, there are no new video drivers available (I use a old Diamond
> Stealth). Then I installed MS DirectX 8.1. After a view minutes of
playing,
> I get the errormessage aggain.

Wow, a Diamond Stealth. There's a blast from the past. I haven't used that
series of video cards in years. Which exact model of card is it? There were
several in the stealth series.

It may very well be that the card is old enough not to work correctly with
D2. Hard to say for sure. Try these:

1. Run the tests in the dxdiag utility. To start it go the the "run" entry
on your start menu and type in "dxdiag". Running the tests there may give
you a clue if the video card is the problem.

2. Run the video test option in the diablo folder in the start menu. If it
runs successfully and gives you more than one option for video modes to run
in try them all to see if you can get one to work.

--- Hacksaw