Kensai/Mage weapons query

Mikey 5-0

Dec 17, 2000, 12:18:44 PM12/17/00
Hello all,
I have just started BG2, and Im wondering, before I decide to
dual-class my kensai, what weapons a dual-class kensai/mage could use.
If I put all my proficiency pips into blade weapons - long sword and
katana specifically - would the mage ever be able to use those weapons
again? Or is the kensai/mage limited to staves and such?

Any info appreciated.
Mike
Mikey 5-0
=====
'In heaven you become what you hope. In hell you
become what you fear...' - Von Bek, Michael Moorcock
=====
Remove 'nospam' and replace with 'kestril' to email me

Rune Christensen

Dec 17, 2000, 12:37:14 PM12/17/00
"Mikey 5-0" <nos...@echidna.id.au> skrev i en meddelelse

> Hello all,
> I have just started BG2, and Im wondering, before I decide to
> dual-class my kensai, what weapons a dual-class kensai/mage could
use.
> If I put all my proficiency pips into blade weapons - long sword and
> katana specifically - would the mage ever be able to use those
weapons
> again? Or is the kensai/mage limited to staves and such?

Once your mage level rises above your kensai level - say, if you
dual-class at level 9, you must reach mage level 10 - you will be able
to use whatever weapons the kensai used. Note that while your
character is a low-level mage who has not risen above his kensai
level, any weapon proficienes you invest in weapons which the kensai
already knows are lost when you regain your kensai skills. For maximum
benefit, put all your kensai proficiencies into one bladed weapon -
longsword, say - and two-weapon style. When you dual, put
proficiencies into dagger and quarterstaff. If you put kensai skills
into quarterstaff, then put your wizard skill into quarterstaff as
well, that skill point is lost when you become a kensai again.

Rune Christensen

Geoffrey Brent

Dec 17, 2000, 6:40:14 PM12/17/00
Mikey 5-0 wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have just started BG2, and Im wondering, before I decide to
> dual-class my kensai, what weapons a dual-class kensai/mage could use.
> If I put all my proficiency pips into blade weapons - long sword and
> katana specifically - would the mage ever be able to use those weapons
> again? Or is the kensai/mage limited to staves and such?

Your kensai class will go 'dormant' until your mage level
exceeds your old kensai level - the proficiencies you gained
while you were a kensai will be suspended, and you'll only
be able to use mage weapons.

But when your kensai class 'reactivates', you'll get those
proficiencies back, and the ability to use the full range of
weapons available to kensai. So go ahead, spend your pips on
long swords etc, once your kensai class activates you'll get
to use them again. Just don't waste your mage pips on darts/
slings, or on any weapon you already bought kensai profs in.

Geoffrey Brent

Christian Bonde

Dec 18, 2000, 10:32:49 AM12/18/00
Put all stars in 2H and staffs and get the staff of magi, then you are
unstopable....

Geoffrey Brent <g.b...@student.unsw.edu.NOS.PAM.au> skrev i en
nyhedsmeddelelse:3A3D4EDE...@student.unsw.edu.NOS.PAM.au...

Jesse Yeager

Dec 22, 2000, 9:09:10 PM12/22/00
> If you put kensai skills
> into quarterstaff, then put your wizard skill into quarterstaff as
> well, that skill point is lost when you become a kensai again.
>
> Rune Christensen

But who would EVER want to play a kensai with a quarterstaff?

Ping

Dec 22, 2000, 9:22:18 PM12/22/00
"Jesse Yeager" <rej...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> But who would EVER want to play a kensai with a quarterstaff?

don't knock it, it might be good. especially if you could kit him out with
the staff of the magi which gives +2 ac, +2 saving throws, invisibile,
immune to charm, protected from evil, each hit dispels magic, plus it has
spell trap and some other stuff in there that you can cast, AND it acts as a
+5 weapon. it could make for a pretty nifty character...

-Ping
http://www.creatureslife.net
icq: 6283750
http://skizzers.org/ping/
email: Ping AT subdimension DOT com
[PING! The magic duck!]

Graeme Dice

Dec 22, 2000, 9:28:42 PM12/22/00
Ping wrote:

> "Jesse Yeager" <rej...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>

> > But who would EVER want to play a kensai with a quarterstaff?
> >

> don't knock it, it might be good. especially if you could kit him out with
> the staff of the magi which gives +2 ac, +2 saving throws, invisibile,
> immune to charm, protected from evil, each hit dispels magic, plus it has
> spell trap and some other stuff in there that you can cast, AND it acts as a
> +5 weapon. it could make for a pretty nifty character...

That's what I'm planning to do with my soloing F/M/T. I plan to have 2
stars in Quarterstaff, Short bows, Two-handed Weapons. Two-Handed
Swords, katanas, and dependng on what level get to, some in single
weapon style.