Entered Apprentice Questions

1 view

Nick Guerra

Mar 10, 2003, 1:54:35 PM3/10/03
Can anyone tell me what to expect or what is expected from me when I
go to my first Degree? As of this time all I know is I will be given
a gown and be blindfolded. After that Im not sure if I need to
prepare for anything or what.

Thank you
Nick

Dave Hicks

Mar 10, 2003, 2:07:48 PM3/10/03
To be honest Nick, knowing nothing is probably the best preparation you can
have. That way you will have no preconceived expectations.

Have an open mind, try and relax and enjoy. Remember that everyone in the
room has undergone the same ceremony

Best wishes

Dave
Vale 6632 UGLE

erik

Mar 10, 2003, 2:33:43 PM3/10/03
Nick Guerra <ngu...@lucent.com> wrote:
: Can anyone tell me what to expect or what is expected from me when I

: go to my first Degree?

Good Afternoon Nick,
Your sponser and the officers helping to prepare you for the
Degree will be able to explain what will go on and what is expected of
you. If the area that you are in is similar to mine you are expected to
listen and learn. Also, to ask questions afterwards should you feel the
need for clarification. Hope this helps. Have a good day.

--
ttfn

------------

Erik J. Meyer

Constellation Lodge AF&AM (no, we don't have numbers)
Hermann-Dexter Lodge IOOF #133 Dedham, MA
www.mychip.org are you a turtle?

Joshua Rosenblatt

Mar 10, 2003, 5:27:52 PM3/10/03
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:54:35 -0500, Nick Guerra wrote
(in message <4362a8c.0303...@posting.google.com>):

As someone who recently went through his Entered Apprentice degree, I can
assure you it will be far more poignant and enjoyable the less you know about
it. I had done much research prior and was aware of the bluk of the degree
ritual prior to mine, and honestly I regret not going in truly hoodwinked...
it was still veyr enjoyable and very affective - and I'll never forget it -
but I do wish I embarked on it with less knowledge than i did.

I will say that you have nothing to worry about... everyone in the room has
been through it before you. And most lodges give the goat a good scrubbing
down forst so no worries there either .

tee hee

Seriously though, have fun and keep an open mind. :) Oh yeah, and
afterwards, pay close attention to their description of the symbolism of the
ritual you just experienced. You may be very excited and have alot of
adrenaline going, I did, but stay focused because when you start your work
afterwards it's really nice to reflect on those moments when it was first
described to you in the lodge itself, imediately after you get your degree.
Just my experience.

Joshua
EA Landmark Lodge #442
Wilkes-Barre PA

''Peachy'' Driver

Mar 10, 2003, 6:03:37 PM3/10/03
ngu...@lucent.com (Nick Guerra) wrote in message news:<4362a8c.0303...@posting.google.com>...

There's nothing for you to prepare, other than yourself. ;)

Just spend the day looking forward to it; your Brothers-to-be will
take good care of you, and your life will never quite be the same
again.

Ed King

Mar 10, 2003, 6:24:22 PM3/10/03
In article <4362a8c.0303...@posting.google.com>, Nick Guerra
wrote:

Hi Nick,

May I recommend you take a peek at
http://www.masonicinfo.com/preparation.htm

I think you'll find it to be helpful. <smile>

In addition - as a bit more background reading - you may also want to
check out http://www.masonicinfo.com/beforeyouenter.htm

I hope these will be helpful and that we'll be calling you Brother Nick
in the very near future.

Fraternally,
Ed King

http://www.masonicinfo.com -- Anti-Masonry: Points of View

Internet newsgroup posting. Copyright 2003. All rights reserved.

JBennette

Mar 10, 2003, 6:52:36 PM3/10/03
That would be like telling you the ending of a good movie. Relax and try to
remember the best you can the things that go on in the lodge, that will make it
easier when you do your profiecency.
Let us know how you liked it
Jim Bennette JW
Plymouth Lodge AF&AM

Bill Maddox

Mar 10, 2003, 7:30:11 PM3/10/03
Good evening Nick.

The advice of the others have been timely and true. Let me add one more
thing.

You will be standing in the same place, in much the same manner, as many
other Masons. You will be provided a guide who will assist you.

Bill Maddox
Perfect Union Lodge #10, AF&AM, GL of Texas

"Nick Guerra" <ngu...@lucent.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Steve

Mar 10, 2003, 9:35:52 PM3/10/03
Nick,

Soon we can call youi brother. As far as being prepared for your EA just keep
and open mind and pay attention to what happens aroudn you. You will be doing
what everyone who has gone before you has done. I think you will get more
appreciation for the lessons taught and the evening overall if you dont read
too much and "prepare" yourself. Just go into it blind...easy for me to say ha
ha. Take care ...trust me...it will be a night you will never forget!! If I
can be of any help to youi plese let me know

Steve Wiley,MM
Junior Warden
Proctorville, Ohio Lodge #550
Valley of Cincinnati AASR
Cincinnati, Ohio
Visit us on the Web at: WWW.Geocities.com/BuckeyeMason

R.W.Ruiz (Booger)

Mar 10, 2003, 10:23:56 PM3/10/03
GOAT??? Heck.... I had a greased donkey when I went through EA ...You are
lucky!!!

Sincerely & Fraternally,

Robert Ruiz
Morning Star #68 F&AM
Stockton, California, USA
RLTa...@sbcglobal.net

"Joshua Rosenblatt" <joshuaro...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Jack Hickey

Mar 10, 2003, 11:02:21 PM3/10/03
On 10 Mar 2003 10:54:35 -0800, ngu...@lucent.com (Nick Guerra) wrote:

>Can anyone tell me what to expect or what is expected from me when I
>go to my first Degree?

I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, Nick.

>As of this time all I know is I will be given
>a gown and be blindfolded. After that Im not sure if I need to
>prepare for anything or what.

No, not really. If you habitually wear any jewelry (necklaces,
rings, that sort of thing), leave it home. You won't be wearing
shoes, so if you suffer from athlete's foot, a little foot hygiene and
clean socks will be important (saying this with a VERY unpleasant
degree in mind, when we were praying for a window to open) ...

Just keep an open mind, and LISTEN carefully to what's happening
around you. You won't remember most of it, and don't be desperate
to try -- just relax and enjoy.

Best wishes.

Jack Hickey
Master, Isaiah Thomas Lodge AF&AM Worcester MA
ethan's grandpa
www.geocities.com/isaiahthomas2001/

"People can sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Nick Guerra

Mar 11, 2003, 9:45:24 AM3/11/03
Jack Hickey <hic...@netzero.com> wrote in message news:<gvmq6v0l8lsu4ditf...@4ax.com>...

Everyone Thank you!

Tonight is the night and based on your reply's I will stop looking for
answers on what to expect.

Best Regards
Nick

KIV11

Mar 11, 2003, 3:56:11 PM3/11/03
RW Ruiz wrote:

>GOAT??? Heck.... I had a greased donkey when I went through EA ...You are
>lucky!!!

Yeah, and you probably walked 5 miles uphill to school and back in the snow!
<VBWG>

George K.

Gene Goldman

Mar 11, 2003, 4:27:05 PM3/11/03

It was seven miles, in the dark, and we didn't have shoes!

--
|O| Be well. Travel with a light heart.

Brother Gene .*.
H.M.S.H.
Q.P.H.D.
Regular 1,765 degree Mason
http://www.blackmountainlodge.net
http://www.freemason.org
http://www.mastermason.com/BrotherGene
http://www.mastermason.com/BrotherGene/frequently_asked_questions.htm
MBBFMN #387
************************************
"Are you guys ready? Let's Roll!!"
Todd Beamer, Flight 93
************************************

Remember: Your Masonry may be different from someone else's.

Internet newsgroup posting. Copyright 2003. All rights reserved.

Any Mason may use the contents for any valid Masonic purpose, permission may be granted to others upon request.
No platypi were harmed in this transmition
Objects in this post are funnier than they appear
Does this .sig make my butt look big?
Be seeing you

Joshua Rosenblatt

Mar 11, 2003, 4:32:14 PM3/11/03
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 9:45:24 -0500, Nick Guerra wrote
(in message <4362a8c.03031...@posting.google.com>):

> Everyone Thank you!
>
> Tonight is the night and based on your reply's I will stop looking for
> answers on what to expect.

Have fun (I know you will) baaa baaa

:)

I go for my FC degree tomorrow night. can't wait to see Dolly Llama again.
I missed her so. :)

Joshua Rosenblatt

Mar 11, 2003, 4:31:23 PM3/11/03
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:56:11 -0500, KIV11 wrote
(in message <20030311155611...@mb-fh.aol.com>):

:)

uphill BOTH WAYS

Dave Hicks

Mar 12, 2003, 2:52:26 AM3/12/03
A local publican proposed one of his regulars into a London Lodge.

A few locals knowing the candidate arrived at the pub ( a little too early
one might may say ) to enjoy an odd drink or so before leaving for the
train.

During the drinking session the candidate was given the usual stories about
the GOAT.

However, when the train stopped at Wendover, who should get on but a
miliatry guy with regimental Goat !

It was as much as we could do to keep the candidate on the train, his bottle
had totally gone.

True story !

jlruble

Mar 12, 2003, 12:36:57 PM3/12/03
Yeah, but you were in Kalifornia.

Try that in Virgina. (BWG)

SCOTTY

"Gene Goldman" <br_...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

David Simpson

Mar 12, 2003, 12:54:41 PM3/12/03
On 11 Mar 2003 20:56:11 GMT, ki...@aol.com (KIV11) typed

Snow? We couldn't afford snow.

--
Regards
David Simpson

Gene Goldman

Mar 12, 2003, 1:01:07 PM3/12/03

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:36:57 GMT, "jlruble" <jlr...@cox.net> wrote:

>Yeah, but you were in Kalifornia.

It was in Minnesota, buddy! Uf da!
I live in California NOW, mostly because my family is from Minnesota!

>Try that in Virgina. (BWG)

They don't even know what winter IS in Virginia.

Howard Page

Mar 12, 2003, 6:41:13 PM3/12/03
Does anyone now where the "GOAT" stories originated. It seems they are
everywhere.
"Dave Hicks" <dah...@aylesburyoffice.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

Steve

Mar 12, 2003, 10:38:05 PM3/12/03
Nick: I have read several of the replies you have already
received. The best of them, in my estimation, is relax and enjoy,
listen closely to what is said and remember what you can so that
you can ask questions. Trust in those who thought enough of you
to recommend you for membership in our ancient and honorable
fraternity. To put it another way, trust in those who will be
your brothers.

-- Steve, Past Master
29 Palms California.

Ed King

Mar 13, 2003, 5:53:11 AM3/13/03
In article <tAPba.68303$sf5....@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>, Howard Page
wrote:

> Does anyone now where the "GOAT" stories originated. It seems they are
> everywhere.

While I can't tell you specifically where they originated (you've never been
to Scotland, I'm guessing?), it would be a mistake to think that they referred
only to Freemasonry. In fact, it appears that the Odd Fellows were FAR more
ready to use such allusions and a book from the late 1800s is adorned with Odd
Fellow regalia to emphasize the point.

I've got an essay on this at http://www.masonicinfo.com/thegoat.htm

Ed King

http://www.masonicinfo.com -- Anti-Masonry: Points of View

David Simpson

Mar 13, 2003, 8:17:03 AM3/13/03
wrote:
> Does anyone now where the "GOAT" stories originated. It seems they are
> everywhere.

It's a play/pun on the GAOTU lettering.

jlruble

Mar 13, 2003, 4:29:40 PM3/13/03
Well, it had been a while, but we got re-introduced this year. Hey, it's
nice for two weeks.

SCOTTY

"Gene Goldman" <br_...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

jlruble

Mar 13, 2003, 4:31:26 PM3/13/03
You mean that thing I rode with the horns and white skin wasn't a goat?
They told me it was.

SCOTTY

"David Simpson" <faro...@picknowl.com.au> wrote in message

pjw

Mar 13, 2003, 7:09:48 PM3/13/03
I don't know. Before my EA init, someone mentioned something that was a mix
between a bicycle and a goat that I'd have to ride - the only ride I had was
to get to the Lodge, and it was in my Jeep. Also, at a local hardware store
(where some friends are Masons), I was told to put a penney in my shoe on
the night of my EA degree. Not needed.

Paul

JB

Mar 13, 2003, 7:54:43 PM3/13/03
> Also, at a local hardware store
> (where some friends are Masons), I was told to put a penney in my shoe on
> the night of my EA degree. Not needed.

Doesn't that mean your EA wasn't genuine? Or am I being pedantic again?

erik

Mar 14, 2003, 11:26:39 AM3/14/03
jlruble wrote:
: You mean that thing I rode with the horns and white skin wasn't a goat?

: They told me it was.

Well, sort of. You being in an area with many Greco-Roman believers you
were actually on a Satyr. They are much like goats, only they can play a
pipe. For a goat to do that you have to lop off their head, turn them
inside out and make bag-pipes. It is just not the same tho. Hope this
helps. Have a good day.

--
ttfn