I trolled, and no one bit!

danny burstein

Oct 11, 1993, 1:58:42 AM10/11/93

sniff. In an earlier thread about Waltzing Matilda I referred to the movie
"On the Waterfront," a post world war three scenario which followed the
lives of folk in Australia as the radiation from the War in teh North came
down to kill them. Actors included (I said) Gregory Peck, Marlon Brando,
and lots of others.

And here I was hoping for some fish....

--
----------------------------------
dan...@panix.com adds: all the usual disclaimers regarding liability,

William VanHorne

Oct 11, 1993, 7:29:59 AM10/11/93
In article <29asmi$g...@panix.com> dan...@panix.com (danny burstein) writes:

>sniff. In an earlier thread about Waltzing Matilda I referred to the movie
>"On the Waterfront," a post world war three scenario which followed the
>lives of folk in Australia as the radiation from the War in teh North came
>down to kill them. Actors included (I said) Gregory Peck, Marlon Brando,
>and lots of others.
>
>And here I was hoping for some fish....

Danny, speaking as a veteran fisherperson (yes I know it is a witless and
pointless pursuit....I just can't stop...*sob*) in order to land the big
ones you will need to use better bait. You see, messing-up a movie title
was a good idea, and subtle too, but people just don't care much about
movies. You need to hit 'em where they live (eg. Jon Papai's "Blow Jays"
comment).

However, to make you feel better: you st*p*d f*ck*ng b*st*rd, that was
On the BEACH! On the *BEACH*!!!!!

---Bill "and don't forget to crosspost into a soc.culture group" VanHorne

Dan Mckinnon

Oct 11, 1993, 2:33:00 PM10/11/93
DA>sniff. In an earlier thread about Waltzing Matilda I referred to the movie
DA>"On the Waterfront," a post world war three scenario which followed the
DA>lives of folk in Australia as the radiation from the War in teh North came
DA>down to kill them. Actors included (I said) Gregory Peck, Marlon Brando,
DA>and lots of others.

DA>And here I was hoping for some fish....

Well, there was the part where Brando lamented his lost chance to
own a fish ranch - "I coulda been a cod tender".

And the part where the Diet Pepsi bottle tapped out "Arnie", "Arnie"
over and over in Morse.

Dan "antipodially challenged" MCKinnon

---
ş OLX 2.1 TD ş All of my REALLY GOOD taglines are 1 character too lon

Robert W. Hall

Oct 11, 1993, 11:21:00 PM10/11/93

That movie is "On the Beach". On the waterfront has Brando and Karl Malden
and is about dockyard workers and a priest.

Rob

Fred Christiansen

Oct 13, 1993, 7:24:16 PM10/13/93
In article <29d7qs$h...@usenet.mcs.kent.edu> rh...@Nimitz.mcs.kent.edu (Robert W. Hall) writes:
>That movie is "On the Beach".

Based upon the book of the same name. Can't seem to remember the author.
He also wrote "Trustee from the Tool Room", "The Pied Piper", etc.
--
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") Email: fre...@phx.mcd.mot.com
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Robert Allison

Oct 14, 1993, 1:25:55 PM10/14/93

In a previous article, fre...@phx.mcd.mot.com (Fred Christiansen) says:

>In article <29d7qs$h...@usenet.mcs.kent.edu> rh...@Nimitz.mcs.kent.edu (Robert W. Hall) writes:

>>That movie is "On the Beach".
>

>Based upon the book of the same name. Can't seem to remember the author.
>He also wrote "Trustee from the Tool Room", "The Pied Piper", etc.

I should know better than to swim up to this one, but ...

"On the Beach", by Nevil Shute - in the mid to late '50s sometime?

Robert "or some similar spelling" Allison
--
Robert Allison

William R. Ward

Oct 14, 1993, 3:11:25 PM10/14/93
In article <1993Oct13.2...@phx.mcd.mot.com>, fre...@phx.mcd.mot.com (Fred Christiansen) writes:
) In article <29d7qs$h...@usenet.mcs.kent.edu> rh...@Nimitz.mcs.kent.edu (Robert W. Hall) writes:
)) That movie is "On the Beach".
) Based upon the book of the same name. Can't seem to remember the author.
) He also wrote "Trustee from the Tool Room", "The Pied Piper", etc.

Nevil Shute (sp?).

--Bill.
--
William R Ward __o __o 1803 Mission St. #339
Bay View Software and Consulting _-\<,-\<,_ Santa Cruz CA 95060 USA

a.B. Mayers; BOTsmith

Oct 15, 1993, 7:09:50 PM10/15/93
ab...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Robert Allison) writes:
>"On the Beach", by Nevil Shute - in the mid to late '50s sometime?

>Robert "or some similar spelling" Allison

Rohbert? Robbert? Roberd? Tell tell!

-aB "Or some similar acronym" Mayers

--
The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the center we
find the South End. This is not to be confused with South Boston which lies

Derek Tearne

Oct 16, 1993, 12:56:16 AM10/16/93
In article <CEwDr...@freenet.carleton.ca> ab...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Robert Allison) writes:

>In a previous article, fre...@phx.mcd.mot.com (Fred Christiansen) says:
>
>>In article <29d7qs$h...@usenet.mcs.kent.edu> rh...@Nimitz.mcs.kent.edu (Robert W. Hall) writes:
>>>That movie is "On the Beach".
>>
>>Based upon the book of the same name. Can't seem to remember the author.
>>He also wrote "Trustee from the Tool Room", "The Pied Piper", etc.
>
>I should know better than to swim up to this one, but ...
>
>"On the Beach", by Nevil Shute - in the mid to late '50s sometime?

He also wrote 'A town like Alice' which, like 'On the Beach' is set in
Austria. It was distressing in the extreme to read this book as it
kept referring to 'gators. Not that I have anything against 'gators (little
or otherwise) it's just that they only live in the Americas. Every where
else, including australia, they have crocodiles. No self respecting
Aussie would ever talk about a 'gator.

Derek "All his books have the same names as Chris Rea songs" Tearne

--
Derek Tearne. -- de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz -- Fujitsu New Zealand --
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the

David Lesher

Oct 16, 1993, 10:11:32 AM10/16/93
Others said:
# He also wrote 'A town like Alice' which, like 'On the Beach' is set in
# Austria.
{}
# --
# Derek Tearne. -- de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz -- Fujitsu New Zealand --
Hmm.
Those damm scientists, fooling around with things they don't
understand. They've gone & MOVED the entire continent!
--
A host is a host from coast to coast..wb8foz@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(301) 56-LINUX

Robert Allison

Oct 17, 1993, 4:05:56 PM10/17/93

In a previous article, ab...@crux5.cit.cornell.edu (a.B. Mayers; BOTsmith) says:

>ab...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Robert Allison) writes:
>>"On the Beach", by Nevil Shute - in the mid to late '50s sometime?
>
>>Robert "or some similar spelling" Allison
>
>Rohbert? Robbert? Roberd? Tell tell!
>
>-aB "Or some similar acronym" Mayers

A friend of mine from university days used to claim his first
name (see if you can guess it from The Clue (sm)) was spelled
"Rod3ger" - but the "3" was silent. I was amazed at the number
of sweet young things that seemed to believe him. What a line!

Rob3ert "but the 3 is silent" Allison
--
Robert Allison