Dinah Shore + black baby?

Gregory Haddock

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

DaveHatunen <hat...@netcom.com> wrote in article
> Except, of course, that terms like "caucasian" and "African" are being
> used here as racial terms, and the concept "race" has no scientific
> basis. Of course, if you define "caucasian" as meaning "having no
> African-like genetic characteristics" you have simply set up a
> circumlocution.

True. And don't forget, a good portion of North Africa *is* Caucasian.
--gh

Carabosse

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

I first read about this in a magazine called 'Interrace', in
their issue about 'outing' mixed-race people. (Other than
that it was the kind of thing my mother told me. "Well,
everybody knew that.") Anyway, there's a racial tradition
in America called the One Drop Rule. If anyone in your
family was African-American, you are African-American.
It was to ensure that children of slaves would most likely
stay slaves. Apparently someone remembered that there
was a Black person in her ancestry and got it publicized
as a scandal, which magnified at the birth of her child. It
a common (and stupid) belief about mixed-people that no
matter how light of skin they may be, their blackness will
always be obvious in their children. Does anyone have
any more on this? I can't find my copy of the magazine...

Mike Rejsa

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

Let me preface by saying 1) I'm a newbie to the group, but have read
the FAQ (well, a lot of it...); and 2) it was my wife that put me
up to this, tho I'm genuinely curious about the answer.

She is sure that Dinah Shore, while married to George Montgomery,
(both lily-white individuals), had a very black-appearing baby.
The story continues to say that divorce soon followed, altho
Dinah denied any "fooling around".

Anybody know the truth of this? Is it even possible?

(Disclaimer: I mean no upset or insult to anyone, I'm just interested
in whether or not its possible. I particularly do not intend any racial
slurs. No judgement implied on Ms. Shore, whatever she did or didn't do
is her business. If she produced a martian I'd be equally curious. Or
even more so...)

mi...@primenet.com

Camilla shrieked in horror, he was saying it again...
"I'm Chuckie... let's PLAY!"

GrapeApe

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

Dinah has an olive complexion, but I've never heard that story.

In the case of test tube twins in which one of the children were darker
than the other, it took the parents a few days to notice the difference.

GrapeApe

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

GrapeApe

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

GrapeApe

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

GrapeApe

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

GrapeApe

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

GrapeApe

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

GrapeApe

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

GrapeApe

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

DaveHatunen

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

In article <5beo3n$d...@nnrp1.news.primenet.com>,

Mike Rejsa <mi...@primenet.com> wrote:
>Let me preface by saying 1) I'm a newbie to the group, but have read
>the FAQ (well, a lot of it...); and 2) it was my wife that put me
>up to this, tho I'm genuinely curious about the answer.
>
>She is sure that Dinah Shore, while married to George Montgomery,
>(both lily-white individuals), had a very black-appearing baby.
>The story continues to say that divorce soon followed, altho
>Dinah denied any "fooling around".
>
>Anybody know the truth of this?

Why on earth would any of us consider our business?

Is it even possible?

Yes. With certain qualifications.

>(Disclaimer: I mean no upset or insult to anyone, I'm just interested
>in whether or not its possible. I particularly do not intend any racial
>slurs. No judgement implied on Ms. Shore, whatever she did or didn't do
>is her business. If she produced a martian I'd be equally curious. Or
>even more so...)

Since we don't have any Martians around, I'd be curious why you're that
curious.

--

********** DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@netcom.com) **********
* Daly City California *

snopes

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

GrapeApe <grap...@aol.com> wrote:

> Dinah has an olive complexion, but I've never heard that story.

I have, however, seen this response before. About four times now.

- snopes

Mike Rejsa

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

DaveHatunen <hat...@netcom.com> wrote:
: Since we don't have any Martians around, I'd be curious why you're that
: curious.

'Cause it implies alien visitors or tele-insemination!

Paul Tomblin

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

One of the AOLers on rec.aviation.piloting was having the same problem
yesterday. I suspect a system glitch. Either that, or microsoft.com is up to
its old tricks again.

--
Paul Tomblin (ptom...@xcski.com), Rochester Flying Club
RFC is selling one of our PA28-181 Piper Archer IIs. Contact me for details.

John B. Gabel

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

In article <5bgrri$2...@nntp1.best.com> snopes <sno...@best.com> writes:
The UL about Dinah Shore is a very old one. In my small hometown in eastern
Pennsylvania in the 1940s, we all "knew" the account to be true, just as a
couple of decades later we all "knew" it to be true that Rock Hudson and Jim
Nabors (sp?) were a couple. God, I wish I were as confident of anything today
as I used to be about the truth of our legends in those days!

Charles Lieberman

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

In <5beo3n$d...@nnrp1.news.primenet.com> did Mike Rejsa (mi...@primenet.com)
decree:

> She is sure that Dinah Shore, while married to George Montgomery,
> (both lily-white individuals), had a very black-appearing baby.
> The story continues to say that divorce soon followed, altho
> Dinah denied any "fooling around".

This is in a list of ULs at the very end of "How to Talk Dirty and Influence
People."

--
Charles A. Lieberman http://members.tripod.com/~calieber/index.htm
Brooklyn, New York, USA

Mike Rejsa

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Just to (hopefully) wrap this up, I spent some time in the library
ref section.

1. Is Dinah black? Well, she was Jewish and from Tennessee, whatever
that means. Much of her music appears to be black influenced (Shoo Fly
Pie, blues stuff) but lots of white performers were doing that too
at that time. From her picture, I could believe she was a mix or not,
hard to say.

2. Dinah was married to George Montgomery in 1943, had her first
baby (daughter) in 1948, adopted a son in 1954, and was divorced
in 1962. So it *wouldn't* appear that a 'surprise' child carried
by her caused a divorce. Interesting tho - the entry said that she
took a year off "to be with her kids more" at the time of her divorce.
No indication of a third child from any source I've found.

FWIW, she married another man in May '63, and was divorced from him
in 1964.

Ok, I'm done.

Simon Slavin

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

In article <5beo3n$d...@nnrp1.news.primenet.com>,
Mike Rejsa <mi...@primenet.com> wrote:

> Let me preface by saying 1) I'm a newbie to the group, but have read
> the FAQ (well, a lot of it...);

I'd advise you to finish it, even though it's long. You don't have
to read the entire web site, though.

> (both lily-white individuals), had a very black-appearing baby.
> The story continues to say that divorce soon followed, altho
> Dinah denied any "fooling around".
>

> Anybody know the truth of this? Is it even possible?

No idea if it's true, since I have no idea who the two individuals
concerned are, but it is possible. There's an Irish DJ who calls
himself 'Melanin' (or something like that) who was the result of
such a union. He looks like someone of mixed-race, rather than a
pure-African or -Jamaican person. The genes involved can lie low
for a generation, but if both parents have black ancestry the
enforcement can produce a black child.

Simon "All o'er turban folk." Slavin.
--
Simon Slavin -- Computer Contractor. | You're thinking of phenylketonuria.
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk | Aspartame doesn't contain lithium.
| -- wi...@netcom.com (Wim Lewis)

Simon.
--
Simon Slavin -- Computer Contractor. | You're thinking of phenylketonuria.
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk | Aspartame doesn't contain lithium.
Check email address for spam-guard. | This information is not useful. I'm
Junk email not welcome at this site. | not sure about escalators, really.
| -- wi...@netcom.com (Wim Lewis)

Salt

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

GrapeApe wrote:

> Dinah has an olive complexion, but I've never heard that story.
>
> In the case of test tube twins in which one of the children were darker
> than the other, it took the parents a few days to notice the difference.

The legend in my black community is that the child's future skin tones,
hair color, and hair texture change until the child is 3 or 4 years
old. My African and Norwegian nephew's tones and textures have
certainly shifted since his birth 4 years ago (blue eyes to brown, light
reddish hair to dark titian, skin 2 or 3 shades darker.)

I know that my own hair texture and skin tone was quite different at
birth and during my early childhood.

Salt

Pat Braden

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 20:16:48 +0000, sla...@hearsay.demon.co.uk.NOJUNK
(Simon Slavin) wrote:

>No idea if it's true, since I have no idea who the two individuals
>concerned are, but it is possible. There's an Irish DJ who calls
>himself 'Melanin' (or something like that) who was the result of
>such a union. He looks like someone of mixed-race, rather than a
>pure-African or -Jamaican person. The genes involved can lie low
>for a generation, but if both parents have black ancestry the
>enforcement can produce a black child.
>
>Simon "All o'er turban folk." Slavin.

Wait a second here. If by black we're referring to skin color, isn't
the gene for dark skin color dominant? A cell either produces melanin
or it doesn't. I realize that the dominant/ recessive concept is a
bit over simplified but skin color comes about as close as possible to
following classical mendelevian genetics. A child can't be
genetically darker than the darkest of its parents.

The idea that caucasian parents can have a child that has African
features is folklore, rooted more in myths about race than any real
genetics.

Pat Braden
bra...@ix.netcom.com

colleenj...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2017, 8:30:28 PM7/30/17
She may have had or her husband may have had some family member in the past that were black & they didn't know about it,don't think ancestry DNA was around then.

cmlo...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2018, 10:07:06 PM1/17/18
I was just talking about this with my family. All of our parents & grandparents are gone now, but I DEFINITELY remember hearing them talk about this 'scandal' while I was growing up. They said she was almost ruined in Hollywood because of it. It was said that her grandmother had an affair with her family's slave. They had a baby (Dinah's mom) who was white, then Dinah came along... Clearly white, & then her baby came out and shocked everyone. It almost destroyed her marriage also. It came down to her mom getting the family 'closet skeletons' out in the open for it to be verified. YES, it was a real Hollywood scandal back in the day. PS, I am 46 & know of this. I bet if you ask an older generation person they could confirm this.

Bill Gill

Jan 18, 2018, 9:09:26 AM1/18/18
On 1/17/2018 9:07 PM, cmlo...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was just talking about this with my family. All of our parents & grandparents are gone now, but I DEFINITELY remember hearing them talk about this 'scandal' while I was growing up. They said she was almost ruined in Hollywood because of it. It was said that her grandmother had an affair with her family's slave. They had a baby (Dinah's mom) who was white, then Dinah came along... Clearly white, & then her baby came out and shocked everyone. It almost destroyed her marriage also. It came down to her mom getting the family 'closet skeletons' out in the open for it to be verified. YES, it was a real Hollywood scandal back in the day. PS, I am 46 & know of this. I bet if you ask an older generation person they could confirm this.

I don't remember this, but I do recall rumors that she was partly
black.

Bill

ri...@poop.rug

Feb 1, 2018, 12:43:48 PM2/1/18
This urban myth is false, just like those suggesting 'Paul is dead' and
satanic messages are embedded in rock songs. These urban myths seemed to
have been a early form of trolling. Thank gods we now have the internets
for such things now - progress!

Don Freeman

Feb 6, 2018, 8:01:46 PM2/6/18
Her parents were Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe, so none of her
ancestors fit the timeline for having black slaves.

--
__
(oO) www.cosmoslair.com

---

cour...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 4:11:19 AM3/13/18
Dinah Shore always had her mom with her at most shows and she accompanied her daughter all over. Believed to be her nurse maid the lady in question was actually Ms Shore’s mother, hence her real name Fannie Rose Shore. Also evident in her recovery from polio at a young age due to her mother’s insistence upon massaging her legs back to health as was the scenario with African belief in herbs and the powerful healing attributes of touch.

zcls...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2018, 6:46:18 PM3/23/18
I heard the story when I was young. As it went, the family kept it a secret that there was African American in Dinah's heritage that was kept secret until now. It was, supposedly, settled in a very large court action

lolo...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2018, 7:10:33 AM3/26/18
On Monday, January 13, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Mike Rejsa wrote:
> Let me preface by saying 1) I'm a newbie to the group, but have read
> the FAQ (well, a lot of it...); and 2) it was my wife that put me
> up to this, tho I'm genuinely curious about the answer.
>
> She is sure that Dinah Shore, while married to George Montgomery,
> (both lily-white individuals), had a very black-appearing baby.
> The story continues to say that divorce soon followed, altho
> Dinah denied any "fooling around".
>
> Anybody know the truth of this? Is it even possible?
>
> (Disclaimer: I mean no upset or insult to anyone, I'm just interested
> in whether or not its possible. I particularly do not intend any racial
> slurs. No judgement implied on Ms. Shore, whatever she did or didn't do
> is her business. If she produced a martian I'd be equally curious. Or
> even more so...)
>
> --
> mi...@primenet.com
>
> Camilla shrieked in horror, he was saying it again...
> "I'm Chuckie... let's PLAY!"

Since Dinah Shore's parents were both Russian immigrants, it is extremely unlikely that she had any Sub-Saharan African DNA.

janlali...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2018, 3:44:58 PM4/3/18
Well, I am 71, and I remember the adults talking about the scandal that she had a black baby, causing her husband to divorce her. Talk at the time was that after the oregnsncy, no baby appeared, so they said she gave it up. People here are questioning her ancestry, but she could have given birth to a black baby, if she had an affair. I guess well never know.

rethaba...@gmail.com

May 19, 2018, 3:32:58 PM5/19/18
I remember this tabloid at the time. I guess this dates me. But Dinah gave birth to a baby that was dark like of African American ethnicity. Her husband George at the time I believe became very upset and accused her of cheating which lead to his rejection of the child and divorce. Dinah swore she was not cheating. She also had almost a nervous breakdown. I believe she ended up having a genetic test done that she found out she was either an eighth or sixteenth African American of which she had no knowledge of. Apparently her parents neglected to tell her about her lineage or didn't know themselves. The geneticist who performed the test explained that back 100 years or so there was probably in great great grandparents a marriage to someone that was mixed. And due to the mixed lineage it showed up at this time and produced a darker complected child. Dinahs career came to almost a halt because of the scandal. But she stood by the story and afterthis if you look close enough you can see she does have some mixed heritage looks about her. She always had that deep sultry blusy voice and was a great singer and olive completed. But what does it matter now? She is an american icon in show business.

peggy...@aol.com

May 23, 2018, 3:07:56 AM5/23/18
On Monday, January 13, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Mike Rejsa wrote:
> Let me preface by saying 1) I'm a newbie to the group, but have read
> the FAQ (well, a lot of it...); and 2) it was my wife that put me
> up to this, tho I'm genuinely curious about the answer.
>
> She is sure that Dinah Shore, while married to George Montgomery,
> (both lily-white individuals), had a very black-appearing baby.
> The story continues to say that divorce soon followed, altho
> Dinah denied any "fooling around".
>
> Anybody know the truth of this? Is it even possible?
>
> (Disclaimer: I mean no upset or insult to anyone, I'm just interested
> in whether or not its possible. I particularly do not intend any racial
> slurs. No judgement implied on Ms. Shore, whatever she did or didn't do
> is her business. If she produced a martian I'd be equally curious. Or
> even more so...)
>
> --
> mi...@primenet.com
>
> Camilla shrieked in horror, he was saying it again...
> "I'm Chuckie... let's PLAY!"

She did have negroid features.

charle...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2018, 5:46:57 PM9/8/18
On Monday, January 13, 1997 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Mike Rejsa wrote:
> Let me preface by saying 1) I'm a newbie to the group, but have read
> the FAQ (well, a lot of it...); and 2) it was my wife that put me
> up to this, tho I'm genuinely curious about the answer.
>
> She is sure that Dinah Shore, while married to George Montgomery,
> (both lily-white individuals), had a very black-appearing baby.
> The story continues to say that divorce soon followed, altho
> Dinah denied any "fooling around".
>
> Anybody know the truth of this? Is it even possible?
>
> (Disclaimer: I mean no upset or insult to anyone, I'm just interested
> in whether or not its possible. I particularly do not intend any racial
> slurs. No judgement implied on Ms. Shore, whatever she did or didn't do
> is her business. If she produced a martian I'd be equally curious. Or
> even more so...)

I grew up in the 60s and always heard the story that Dinah had been raised white but was actually Mulatta, and, that she had a dark-skinned child who was supposedly quite a shock. I guess the story was considered a scandal, I dunno, my generation didn't really care, it was hers and her husband's business and we just loved her on TV so we thought, so what? The little girls like me thought she was so poised and elegant! But I did hear that story as being true. Now, the bios state that it was a rumor spread by a competing singer who was jealous-and I know why: she could sing a bird right out of its nest!
I do, however, remember everyone being shocked about her dating Burt, I think that affected my generation more so than the mulatta rumor. My mom always said, 'well, if she makes him happy, who cares how stinkin old she is (and he isn't)!" Then, when he started up with Lonnie Anderson, we, the uninformed, were all saying 'but what about Dinah? We thought they were gonna get married!' LOL

whyf...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2018, 7:39:45 PM9/18/18
Dina's great, great grandma is black. Thought everyone who knew the name knew that?

alisawe...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2019, 10:56:08 PM1/7/19
I grew up hearing that story from my mom who was a Hollywood fanatic. She said it as a historical story how racism was back in those days. Also that abortions were not legal so there was no way for Dinah Shote to hide the evidence of an affair or a possible black child. It was not said to implicate immortality or slut shaming Ms Shore. My culture supports women. I have no idea if it was true lol

Lee Ayrton

Jan 11, 2019, 10:01:52 AM1/11/19
On 1/7/2019 22:56 PM, alisawe...@gmail.com wrote:
> I grew up hearing that story from my mom who was a Hollywood fanatic. She said it as a historical story how racism was back in those days. Also that abortions were not legal so there was no way for Dinah Shote to hide the evidence of an affair or a possible black child. It was not said to implicate immortality or slut shaming Ms Shore. My culture supports women. I have no idea if it was true lol

I glanced in the archive and we did discuss this in 1997, so the story
has been known to AFU at least that long. Various sites report similar
claims about Shore, or that she herself was biracial, dating from the
mid-20th century.

I'm intrigued by why the story would re-surface now.

Thank for bringing it to us.

Drew Lawson

Jan 11, 2019, 5:06:06 PM1/11/19
In article <q1ab4v$1ci$1...@reader2.panix.com>
Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com> writes:

>I'm intrigued by why the story would re-surface now.

Because, while Google is staged to control the world, its nerdboys
have never been able to figure out how to handle a Usenet archive.

If they would put a "This is over N years old. Are you sure you
want to reply?" screen in, most of these would go away, without
costing hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.

Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.

Drew "Time for a rerun thread on circumspection or mensuration" Lawson
--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.

danny burstein

Jan 11, 2019, 5:14:27 PM1/11/19
In <q1b409$26sh$1...@cloud.furrfu.com> dr...@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson) writes:

>Because, while Google is staged to control the world, its nerdboys
>have never been able to figure out how to handle a Usenet archive.

>If they would put a "This is over N years old. Are you sure you
>want to reply?" screen in, most of these would go away, without
>costing hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.

>Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
>hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.

17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?

dan...@panix.com

David DeLaney

Jan 14, 2019, 1:51:04 PM1/14/19
On 2019-01-11, danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
> dr...@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson) writes:
>>Because, while Google is staged to control the world, its nerdboys
>>have never been able to figure out how to handle a Usenet archive.
>
>>If they would put a "This is over N years old. Are you sure you
>>want to reply?" screen in, most of these would go away, without
>>costing hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.
>
>>Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
>>hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.

Depends which froup. r.a.sf.written is going strong.

> 17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?

2 of Ed Rice's whats?

Dave, using sekrit teknologiez, I can ask him for clarification if need be, &
return an answer here in under a month

Drew Lawson

Jan 14, 2019, 4:16:07 PM1/14/19
In article <rqKdnYPYKOaPR6HB...@earthlink.com>
David DeLaney <dbda...@gmail.com> writes:
>On 2019-01-11, danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:

>> 17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?
>
>2 of Ed Rice's whats?

Ed Rice's green grocers, ovbiously.

Drew "or is that green grocer's?" Lawson
--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind
| Had no spare

Lee Ayrton

Jan 25, 2019, 2:26:19 PM1/25/19
On 1/11/2019 5:06 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
> In article <q1ab4v$1ci$1...@reader2.panix.com>
> Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com> writes:
>>
>> I'm intrigued by why the story would re-surface now.
>>

> Because, while Google is staged to control the world, its nerdboys
> have never been able to figure out how to handle a Usenet archive.
>
> If they would put a "This is over N years old. Are you sure you
> want to reply?" screen in, most of these would go away, without
> costing hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.
>
> Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
> hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.

I'm intrigued, but not handy enough to understand how a 17 year old post
got back into the feed as a new post. I confess that I hadn't thought
to look at the headers, and even if I had the only things that I would
recognize as amiss would be the presence of a bang!path, and of course,
Hatunen.

What are you seeing that points to the early date? I'm using Thunderbird
as a reader. Headers as seen here below.

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.urban
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 19:56:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Dinah Shore + black baby?
From: alisawe...@gmail.com

Lee Ayrton

Jan 25, 2019, 2:27:42 PM1/25/19
On 1/14/2019 1:50 PM, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2019-01-11, danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:

>> 17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?
>
> 2 of Ed Rice's whats?
>
> Dave, using sekrit teknologiez, I can ask him for clarification if need be, &
> return an answer here in under a month

Teknologiez? You found parts for the time machine?

Drew Lawson

Jan 25, 2019, 7:36:48 PM1/25/19
In article <q2fnsq$ca9$1...@reader2.panix.com>
Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com> writes:
>On 1/11/2019 5:06 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

>> Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
>> hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.
>
>I'm intrigued, but not handy enough to understand how a 17 year old post
>got back into the feed as a new post. I confess that I hadn't thought

Sorry for being more obtuse than usual. *You* did not respond to
a 17 year-old message. The message you responded to was from January
2019. However, *that* message was responding to a 1997 thread, of
course with no quoted context, since civilization has fallen into
ruin and no one knows such conventions anymore.

Drew "and get that poorly quoted social media off of my lawn!" Lawson
--
In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the
last resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened

David DeLaney

Feb 1, 2019, 11:11:38 PM2/1/19
On 2019-01-14, Drew Lawson <dr...@furrfu.invalid> wrote:
> David DeLaney <dbda...@gmail.com> writes:
>>On 2019-01-11, danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
>>> 17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?
>>
>>2 of Ed Rice's whats?
>
> Ed Rice's green grocers, ovbiously.

... do they sleestak furiously?

> Drew "or is that green grocer's?" Lawson

Dvae, "NO! This is WRONG!" - Bob the Angry Flower

David DeLaney

Feb 1, 2019, 11:12:52 PM2/1/19
We live in one! But adjusting the rate takes increasing amounts of fuel.

Dave, we're still looking for why the Death Ray has extra parts attached

Drew Lawson

Feb 3, 2019, 5:57:08 PM2/3/19
In article <9bidnfpZxtAjhcjB...@earthlink.com>
David DeLaney <dbda...@gmail.com> writes:

>Dave, we're still looking for why the Death Ray has extra parts attached

That's the one that got Steve Irwin, right?

--
Drew Lawson What would Brian Boitano do?

David DeLaney

Feb 5, 2019, 1:20:10 AM2/5/19
On 2019-02-03, Drew Lawson <dr...@furrfu.invalid> wrote:
> David DeLaney <dbda...@gmail.com> writes:
>>Dave, we're still looking for why the Death Ray has extra parts attached
>
> That's the one that got Steve Irwin, right?

Yep. We could tell.

Dave, and, FINALLY, Bob Hope

leslie....@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2019, 6:29:07 PM2/6/19
I was a child when this happened,and I remember the story and yes she delivered a child that was African American they did divorce and I remember my parents later speaking about the fact that apparently some of her ancestry had African American roots and I believe but not sure that they said that she had been adopted and I believe the child turned out to be her husband's had not known she was adopted as she passed as white she had no knowledge of her ancestral history I wish my parents were still alive so I could ask them I remember this conversation in our house

Lee Ayrton

Feb 18, 2019, 2:06:02 PM2/18/19
On 1/25/2019 7:36 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
> In article <q2fnsq$ca9$1...@reader2.panix.com>
> Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com> writes:
>> On 1/11/2019 5:06 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
>
>>> Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
>>> hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.
>>
>> I'm intrigued, but not handy enough to understand how a 17 year old post
>> got back into the feed as a new post. I confess that I hadn't thought
>
> Sorry for being more obtuse than usual. *You* did not respond to
> a 17 year-old message. The message you responded to was from January
> 2019. However, *that* message was responding to a 1997 thread, of
> course with no quoted context, since civilization has fallen into
> ruin and no one knows such conventions anymore.
>
> Drew "and get that poorly quoted social media off of my lawn!" Lawson

Ah. That makes better sense to me.

In my occasional nostalgia-driven visits to UsenetLand I get the sense
that various servers have been wet-belching small chunks of the distant
past and presenting them as new.

Don Freeman

Feb 19, 2019, 7:06:33 PM2/19/19
On 2/18/2019 11:06 AM, Lee Ayrton wrote:

> In my occasional nostalgia-driven visits to UsenetLand I get the sense
> that various servers have been wet-belching small chunks of the distant
> past and presenting them as new.

The replies to old threads seem to always be propagated by Gmail users,
probably responding to old posts on Google Groups. But most of the time
I don't mind them though, kinda nostalgic actually.

Mark Shaw

Feb 20, 2019, 4:10:26 PM2/20/19
Don Freeman <free...@cosmoslair.com> wrote:
> On 2/18/2019 11:06 AM, Lee Ayrton wrote:

> > In my occasional nostalgia-driven visits to UsenetLand I get the sense
> > that various servers have been wet-belching small chunks of the distant
> > past and presenting them as new.
> >

> The replies to old threads seem to always be propagated by Gmail users,
> probably responding to old posts on Google Groups. But most of the time
> I don't mind them though, kinda nostalgic actually.

Me, I could do without the lack of line breaks. Ah well.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks

cbusylol

Feb 24, 2019, 10:11:23 PM2/24/19
I post via Google Groups and have been openly attacked by the line break thing. Hard to believe people get their panties in such a twist over it. People clenching onto 'unwritten rules' of a communication platform that's been dead for some 15 years. Since my ISP shut down its news server, and most public free servers don't retain a lot of history, GG is just a better fit for me. USEnetters should be happy that Google Groups existence allows an audience to participate in otherwise a hallowed boneyard.

Mark Shaw

Feb 25, 2019, 10:50:08 AM2/25/19
cbusylol <shin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 2:10:26 PM UTC-7, Mark Shaw wrote:
> > Don Freeman <free...@cosmoslair.com> wrote:

> > > The replies to old threads seem to always be propagated by Gmail users,
> > > probably responding to old posts on Google Groups. But most of the time
> > > I don't mind them though, kinda nostalgic actually.
> >
> > Me, I could do without the lack of line breaks. Ah well.

[text that should have been trimmed, trimmed]

[line breaks added via 'fmt']

> I post via Google Groups and have been openly attacked by the line
> break thing. Hard to believe people get their panties in such a
> twist over it.

Go away, Sonny, you bother me.

> People clenching onto 'unwritten rules' of a
> communication platform that's been dead for some 15 years.

Ha ha ha ha ha

> Since
> my ISP shut down its news server, and most public free servers
> don't retain a lot of history, GG is just a better fit for me.

Well, I'm glad you find it useful. But do please go somewhere else.

> USEnetters should be happy that Google Groups existence allows an
> audience to participate in otherwise a hallowed boneyard.

Oh, my.

cbusylol

Feb 25, 2019, 1:13:56 PM2/25/19
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:50:08 AM UTC-7, Mark Shaw wrote:

> Oh, my.
>
> --
> Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
> "All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks

Just killfile the shit and go back to staring at a dead group

Mark Shaw

Feb 25, 2019, 4:32:07 PM2/25/19
cbusylol <shin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:50:08 AM UTC-7, Mark Shaw wrote:

> > Oh, my.

> Just killfile the shit and go back to staring at a dead group

Go away, Sonny, you bother me.

Don Freeman

Feb 25, 2019, 7:03:41 PM2/25/19
On 2/25/2019 1:32 PM, Mark Shaw wrote:
> cbusylol <shin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:50:08 AM UTC-7, Mark Shaw wrote:
>
>>> Oh, my.
>
>> Just killfile the shit and go back to staring at a dead group
>
> Go away, Sonny, you bother me.

Since I only see the responses to cbusylol I must have killfiled him a
while back. Looks like for good reason.

Drew Lawson

Feb 25, 2019, 7:30:10 PM2/25/19
In article <f82857ea-543e-4f9e...@googlegroups.com>
cbusylol <shin...@gmail.com> writes:

>Just killfile the shit and go back to staring at a dead group

Have you considered decaf?

Drew "There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the
market that are just as tasty as the real thing." Lawson
--
Drew Lawson | "Look! A big distracting thing!"
| -- Crow T. Robot.

David DeLaney

Mar 1, 2019, 7:52:37 AM3/1/19
On 2019-02-26, Drew Lawson <dr...@furrfu.invalid> wrote:
> cbusylol <shin...@gmail.com> writes:
>>Just killfile the shit and go back to staring at a dead group
>
> Have you considered decaf?

We're not dead. We're just resting.

> Drew "There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the
> market that are just as tasty as the real thing." Lawson

Dave, the above compliment may contain snark. do not try this at home. trained
professional on a closed time loop.

Lee Ayrton

Mar 3, 2019, 6:50:38 AM3/3/19
On 2/1/2019 11:12 PM, David DeLaney wrote:

>> Teknologiez? You found parts for the time machine?
> We live in one! But adjusting the rate takes increasing amounts of fuel.

Who was that guy that would pop up occasionally looking for very
specific parts for his time machine? I'm unable to formulate a search
term that brings up one of his posts.

RH Draney

Mar 3, 2019, 1:39:42 PM3/3/19
No luck yet, but I did manage to find you posting the same demand on
7/03/09....r

fudd...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2019, 12:06:58 AM3/26/19
Dina's great grandmother was a Negro

Mark Shaw

Mar 26, 2019, 11:29:07 AM3/26/19
fudd...@gmail.com wrote:

> Dina's great grandmother was a Negro

You mean the chick from "Dumbing of Age?" How about that!

jaayc...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2019, 8:25:55 PM8/4/19
Mike Rejsa, I'm curious also because I remember hearing it in thr news years ago but don't remember the details and my husband hasn't heard it

idan...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2019, 1:42:45 PM8/23/19
True. Dinah had african american in her background. The baby took on those genes

daniel...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2020, 3:00:54 PM1/1/20
Yes this is the story I remember but actually it really doesn't matter it's just interesting about the Gene's how they travel down anyway I sure used to like to watch her show

jimmyw...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2020, 8:37:39 PM2/15/20
It is indeed possible to have a black baby when it is a known fact Dinah is part black.

Mark Shaw

Feb 15, 2020, 8:41:48 PM2/15/20
jimmyw...@gmail.com wrote:
> It is indeed possible to have a black baby when it is a known fact Dinah is part black.

Thank you, Google, for giving us a second dimension to Perpetual
September.

Drew Lawson

Feb 16, 2020, 8:23:11 PM2/16/20
In article <r2a6kr$gb9$1...@reader2.panix.com>
Mark Shaw <ms...@panix.com> writes:
>jimmyw...@gmail.com wrote:
>> It is indeed possible to have a black baby when it is a known fact Dinah is part black.
>
>Thank you, Google, for giving us a second dimension to Perpetual
>September.

Given the subject matter, that must be September 1975.

--
Drew Lawson | And to those who lack the courage
| And say it's dangerous to try
| Well they just don't know
| That love eternal will not be denied

E. H. Rice

Apr 8, 2020, 3:20:28 AM4/8/20
Re:
> 17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?

2 of Ed Rice's whats?

Dave, using sekrit teknologiez, I can ask him for clarification if need be, &
return an answer here in under a month

No need, David B DeLaneY — I can answer here myself. I wish 17 years was two Ed Rices.

Ed Rice

bill4...@yahoo.com

Apr 17, 2020, 8:25:28 AM4/17/20
ive heard it since i was a child in the 50s but have no facts

Mark Shaw

Apr 17, 2020, 8:46:33 AM4/17/20
bill4...@yahoo.com wrote:
> ive heard it since i was a child in the 50s but have no facts

Motto!

danny burstein

Apr 17, 2020, 10:10:33 AM4/17/20
In <r7c8f8$nh6$1...@reader2.panix.com> Mark Shaw <ms...@panix.com> writes:

>bill4...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> ive heard it since i was a child in the 50s but have no facts

>Motto!

Oh, the humanity!

dan...@panix.com