Interservice derogatory nicknames

David Conner

May 23, 1994, 12:58:38 PM5/23/94
Does anybody have a list of derogatory nicknames used by members of
different services to describe the others? I know Marines are "jarheads,"
Navy personnel are "squids," are there any other memorable ones? I like
the way submariners refer to the rest of the Navy as the "skimmer Navy."

James L. Coffey

May 23, 1994, 1:46:45 PM5/23/94
David Conner (dco...@clark.net) wrote:
: Does anybody have a list of derogatory nicknames used by members of
: different services to describe the others? I know Marines are "jarheads,"
: Navy personnel are "squids," are there any other memorable ones? I like
: the way submariners refer to the rest of the Navy as the "skimmer Navy."

That's skimmer pukes.
Nukes -> bubbleheads
USAF -> Air Farce, Bus Drivers

Jim

KAYAL DAVID NICHOLAS

May 23, 1994, 9:10:14 PM5/23/94
c58...@showme.missouri.edu (Scott Burris) writes:

>In article <2rqnbu$u...@clarknet.clark.net> dco...@clark.net (David Conner) writes:
>>From: dco...@clark.net (David Conner)
>>Subject: Interservice derogatory nicknames
>>Date: 23 May 1994 16:58:38 GMT

>Cannon fodder & grunts for Marines or Army, jy-rene (sp?) from jarhead, Air
>Farce, Air Heads, zoomie, or just plain "civilian" for the Air Force.

>Targets for the surface navy, glow worms, bubble-heads for the submariners.

DAT = dumb assed tanker

Stainless Steel Rat

May 23, 1994, 3:44:31 PM5/23/94
And, of course, the Voting Member in the chair of an F-16.

\||| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |||/
== Rat <rat...@ccs.neu.edu> WWW Page: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ratinox ==
== I'd rather be a pig than a fascist. --Porco Rosso (The Crimson Pig) ==
/||| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |||\

Scott Burris

May 23, 1994, 1:41:30 AM5/23/94
In article <2rqnbu$u...@clarknet.clark.net> dco...@clark.net (David Conner) writes:
>From: dco...@clark.net (David Conner)
>Subject: Interservice derogatory nicknames
>Date: 23 May 1994 16:58:38 GMT

>Does anybody have a list of derogatory nicknames used by members of

Cannon fodder & grunts for Marines or Army, jy-rene (sp?) from jarhead, Air

Farce, Air Heads, zoomie, or just plain "civilian" for the Air Force.

Targets for the surface navy, glow worms, bubble-heads for the submariners.

And there are tons of nicknames for all the carriers, or I guess just about
any unit in the various services.

Scott Burris: c58...@showme.missouri.edu
(a native Texan trying to work his way back home) | Guinnea pig for
University of Missouri-Columbia | the program.
International Studies: Post-Soviet Emphasis

Samuel P. Johnson

May 23, 1994, 5:18:06 PM5/23/94
Subject: Interservice derogatory nicknames
From: David Conner, dco...@clark.net

Date: 23 May 1994 16:58:38 GMT
In article <2rqnbu$u...@clarknet.clark.net> David Conner, dco...@clark.net
writes:

Surface ships = Targets
Yard Birds = civilian refit crews
Airforce = Wing nuts

Sam Johnson ex !Fresh Air Snipe!

Jim

May 24, 1994, 4:55:04 AM5/24/94
James L. Coffey (jco...@crl.com) wrote:

: Jim

In the army, tanker are known as "Tread Heads".

Jim

--
The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than
in what we are free not to do. -- Eric Hoffer

Brian Rueger

May 24, 1994, 7:25:51 AM5/24/94

USAF -> Wing Wippers, Zoomies

| Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Division of Fire & Rescue |"Who dares win" |
| Medic/Firefighter | Medic-7 | |
| Hampton, VA. | Email - bru...@infi.net | |

Chunae Zoh

May 24, 1994, 9:45:25 AM5/24/94
Some Army ones:

Chemical Corps Personnel: Retort Rangers

Any Combat Service Support Personnel: REMFs (Rear Echelon Mother F*****) or
Chairborne Rangers

Infantry: Grunt, Groundpounder

Tanker: Tread head, DAT (Dumb A**ed Tanker)

Non-Airborne Personnel: Leg

Air Assault Personnel: Dope on a rope

Chunae Zoh
zo...@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago

robert edward topping

May 24, 1994, 8:56:58 AM5/24/94
Air Force: Wing Nuts
Marines: Jar Heads, Neanderthals
Navy: Squids, Guppies (usually reserved for low ranking officers)

Military Police: Mop Pushers, Multi-Purpose, Military Pricks,
Mud Puppies, Assholes.

Army Infantry: 11 Bang-Bang, 11 Bulletstopper (comes from the Military
Occupational Specialty (MOS) for infantry of 11-B or 11
Bravo)

Aloha,
Bob. (ex-MP, USAR)

--
* The most beautiful thing we can exp- ** From Bob Topping at: *
* erience is the mysterious. It is the ** topp...@umich.edu *

David Conner

May 24, 1994, 10:23:47 AM5/24/94
Scott Burris (c58...@showme.missouri.edu) wrote:
: And there are tons of nicknames for all the carriers, or I guess just about
: any unit in the various services.

What are some of the memorable carrier nicknames?

Scott Burris

May 23, 1994, 10:11:14 PM5/23/94
In article <2rt2lj$j...@clarknet.clark.net> dco...@clark.net (David Conner) writes:
>From: dco...@clark.net (David Conner)
>Subject: Re: Interservice derogatory nicknames
>Date: 24 May 1994 14:23:47 GMT

Without putting much thought to this, the ones that stand out are:

Sorry Sara (Saratoga), Forest Fire (Forrestal), Miserable Midway
(Midway), Kitty cock (Kitty Hawk), Danger Ranger (Ranger),....dang! I
just looked at that list and realize how many of those aren't in service
anymore <sigh>.

Oh and one of my favs that isn't a carrier, the Happy Jose (San Jose AFS-7),
named after a rather unfortunate episode involving several sailors of
"alternate" lifestyles and their Lt.

David Conner

May 24, 1994, 4:21:43 PM5/24/94
I just got another one from my friend's brother, who is in Army ROTC at
Vanderbilt.

Air Force ROTC members: "Postal ROTC"

Scott Burris

May 24, 1994, 2:14:54 AM5/24/94
In article <2rtnkn$o...@clarknet.clark.net> dco...@clark.net (David Conner) writes:
>From: dco...@clark.net (David Conner)
>Subject: Re: Interservice derogatory nicknames
>Date: 24 May 1994 20:21:43 GMT

>I just got another one from my friend's brother, who is in Army ROTC at
>Vanderbilt.

>Air Force ROTC members: "Postal ROTC"

I've always called anybody in ROTC, "Nazi ROTC's" or "Aryan Youth."
But only in jest I assure you :>)

Daniel B Case

May 24, 1994, 8:31:00 PM5/24/94
In article <2rqq65$r...@crl.crl.com>, jco...@crl.com (James L. Coffey) writes...

>David Conner (dco...@clark.net) wrote:
>: Does anybody have a list of derogatory nicknames used by members of
>: different services to describe the others? I know Marines are "jarheads,"
>: Navy personnel are "squids," are there any other memorable ones? I like
>: the way submariners refer to the rest of the Navy as the "skimmer Navy."

There are two kinds of ships...subs, and targets.

I also have heard (well, seen on Usenet) the Marines' self-description
as the MEN's division of the Navy.

"'My country right or wrong' is like saying,
'My mother drunk or sober'"-G.K. Chesterton
Daniel Case
State University of New York at Buffalo Prodigy:WDNS15D
V140...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu dc...@acsu.buffalo.edu

Samuel P. Johnson

May 24, 1994, 4:19:51 PM5/24/94
Subject: Re: Interservice derogatory nicknames
From: David Conner, dco...@clark.net

Date: 24 May 1994 14:23:47 GMT
In article <2rt2lj$j...@clarknet.clark.net> David Conner,

dco...@clark.net writes:
>Scott Burris (c58...@showme.missouri.edu) wrote:
>: And there are tons of nicknames for all the carriers, or I guess just
about
>: any unit in the various services.
>
>What are some of the memorable carrier nicknames?

Forrestal = Forest Fire (bad flight deck fire in !60!s)
Independence = End of Penis
Saratoga = Sorry Sara
Coral Sea = ?
America = ?

That!s all that come to mind at the moment but I!m sure there is more.

Sam

Steve Sample

May 24, 1994, 11:14:30 PM5/24/94
jco...@crl.com (James L. Coffey) writes:

>Jim

Hmm...
Coast Guard -> Puddle Pirates
Marines -> Bullet Sponges

those are my favorites... don't really know many others...

Scott Burris

May 24, 1994, 9:32:16 AM5/24/94
In article <1994May24.1...@msus1.msus.edu> Samuel P. Johnson <joh...@tigger.stcloud.msus.edu> writes:
>Subject: Re: Interservice derogatory nicknames
>From: Samuel P. Johnson <joh...@tigger.stcloud.msus.edu>
>Date: 24 May 94 15:19:51 -0500

>Subject: Re: Interservice derogatory nicknames
>From: David Conner, dco...@clark.net
>Date: 24 May 1994 14:23:47 GMT
>In article <2rt2lj$j...@clarknet.clark.net> David Conner,
>dco...@clark.net writes:

>Coral Sea = ?

The Oral Sea of course! I had almost forgotten that one.

>America = ?

Can't think of any for the America, that's a tough one to screw with.
Although I'm sure the guys on the boat could tell you some, perhaps "Amerika"
or something.

>Sam

Thomas Schoene

May 25, 1994, 10:31:25 AM5/25/94
In article <c585642.3...@showme.missouri.edu>,
c58...@showme.missouri.edu (Scott Burris) wrote:

> I've always called anybody in ROTC, "Nazi ROTC's" or "Aryan Youth."
> But only in jest I assure you :>)

I spent a week at the Naval Acad in HS. (Part of a recruiting effort)
There were also a bunch of Junior ROTC types around and the Mid who was our
group leader refered to them as "Junior Nazis" They were just a bit TOO
gung ho.
--
Tom Schoene
"I'm starting to think you're almost as smart as everyone says you think

Seth Chazanoff

May 25, 1994, 11:24:10 AM5/25/94

Back 20 years ago when I was in AFROTC we occasionally, would call it:

Afro Teachers College

Seth

Sean Malloy

May 25, 1994, 11:41:27 AM5/25/94
In article <c585642.2...@showme.missouri.edu>,

Scott Burris <c58...@showme.missouri.edu> wrote:
>>What are some of the memorable carrier nicknames?
>
>Without putting much thought to this, the ones that stand out are:
>
>Sorry Sara (Saratoga), Forest Fire (Forrestal), Miserable Midway
>(Midway), Kitty cock (Kitty Hawk), Danger Ranger (Ranger),....dang! I
>just looked at that list and realize how many of those aren't in service
>anymore <sigh>.

I never heard "Kitty Cock", and my father served aboard her for a year and
a half, and another year and a half on the Bonny Dick [Bonhomme Richard],
both based out of North Island here in San Diego; the one I always heard
used to refer to her was the "Shitty Kitty".

--
random sig #129:
Sean Malloy Navy Personnel R&D Center | Now that you have taken the pin

James Smilanich

May 25, 1994, 10:51:55 AM5/25/94
Scott Burris (c58...@showme.missouri.edu) wrote:

: In article <2rqnbu$u...@clarknet.clark.net> dco...@clark.net (David Conner) writes:
: >From: dco...@clark.net (David Conner)
: >Date: 23 May 1994 16:58:38 GMT

: Cannon fodder & grunts for Marines or Army, jy-rene (sp?) from jarhead, Air

: Farce, Air Heads, zoomie, or just plain "civilian" for the Air Force.

: Targets for the surface navy, glow worms, bubble-heads for the submariners.

Let's not forget my favorite from Vietnam for anyone not actually in the
field:

REMF: Rear Echelon (Well, you can guess the rest)

Air Force enlisted: wing nuts

Enlisted Men's Club (Navy): animal locker, zoo

A female ET I knew in Hawaii was dating a Marine aviator. After hearing
her refer to him as her favorite juggie, I asked her what she thought the
difference was between a jarhead and a grunt. She said, "That's easy.
The jugheads are smart enough to avoid being a bulletstopper!"

My only comment was to ask her boyfriend if his sharpshooter quals were
still up to date.....

George Blair

May 26, 1994, 8:13:50 AM5/26/94
>In article <2rt2lj$j...@clarknet.clark.net> dco...@clark.net (David Conner) writes:
>>From: dco...@clark.net (David Conner)
>>Subject: Re: Interservice derogatory nicknames
>>Date: 24 May 1994 14:23:47 GMT
>
>>Scott Burris (c58...@showme.missouri.edu) wrote:
>>: And there are tons of nicknames for all the carriers, or I guess just about
>>: any unit in the various services.
>
>>What are some of the memorable carrier nicknames?

Not a carrier but a Tin Can. Take Brickley Bass and drop the B's and you
get the rickley ass (wrinkley). She steamed into Hong Kong in the late 60's
or early 70's with the B's on her fantail painted over. Had to be a snipe
job.

George (formerly IC2 on USS Hanson DD832)

*
* | | geo...@indirect.com (home)
| |_| | *
|___| |_| | geo...@bopper2.phx.mcd.mot.com (work)
` | |___|
_| |_` George Blair Motorola Computer Group Tempe Arizona
-------------

Thomas W. Strong, Jr.

May 27, 1994, 6:11:07 PM5/27/94
Here's a summary of what's been posted so far:

Army: cannon fodder, grunts
Tankers: DAT (dumb assed tanker), tread heads

Chemical Corps Personnel: Retort Rangers

Any Combat Service Support Personnel: REMFs (Rear Echelon Mother F*****),

Chairborne Rangers
Infantry: Grunt, Groundpounder

Non-Airborne Personnel: Leg
Air Assault Personnel: Dope on a rope

Army Infantry: 11 Bang-Bang, 11 Bulletstopper (comes from the Military
Occupational Specialty (MOS) for infantry of 11-B or 11
Bravo)

Navy: squids, Guppies (usually reserved for low ranking officers)
Surface Navy: skimmer pukes, skimmer navy, targets
Submariners: glow-worms, bubbleheads
Enlisted Men's Club: animal locker, zoo
Marines: jarheads, jy-rene, cannon fodder, grunts, Neanderthals,
men's division of the navy, Bullet Sponges

USAF: Air Farce, Bus Drivers, zoomie, air heads, civilian,
wing nuts (enlisted), wing zippers
civilian refit crews: Yard Birds

Air Force ROTC members: "Postal ROTC"

the Voting Member in the chair of an F-16

Military Police: Mop Pushers, Multi-Purpose, Military Pricks,
Mud Puppies, Assholes.

Coast Guard: Puddle Pirates

Midway = Miserable Midway

Forrestal = Forest Fire (bad flight deck fire in !60!s)
Independence = End of Penis
Saratoga = Sorry Sara

Kitty Hawk = Kitty cock, Shitty Kitty
Ranger = Danger Ranger
Coral Sea = The Oral Sea
Bonhomme Richard = Bonny Dick

the Happy Jose (San Jose AFS-7), named after a rather unfortunate
episode involving several sailors of "alternate" lifestyles and their Lt.

Not a carrier but a Tin Can. Take Brickley Bass and drop the B's and you

get the rickley ass (wrinkley). She steamed into Hong Kong in the late
60's or early 70's with the B's on her fantail painted over. Had to be a
snipe job.

Tom Strong N3NBB ts...@andrew.cmu.edu

Richard A. De Castro

May 28, 1994, 11:16:55 PM5/28/94

>Coast Guard: Puddle Pirates

Abraham Lincoln - Stinkin' Lincoln
Theodore Rosevelt - The big stick

Attack Subs - Bottom Gun

>the Happy Jose (San Jose AFS-7), named after a rather unfortunate
>episode involving several sailors of "alternate" lifestyles and their Lt.

>Not a carrier but a Tin Can. Take Brickley Bass and drop the B's and you
>get the rickley ass (wrinkley). She steamed into Hong Kong in the late
>60's or early 70's with the B's on her fantail painted over. Had to be a
>snipe job.

> Tom Strong N3NBB ts...@andrew.cmu.edu

deca...@netcom.com Warning: I am a trained professional. No, Really!
Rick N6RCX EMT-A ATP Do Not try this yourself - it could get ugly......
Richard A. De Castro - California, but not for ever. Home wanted.

Nadir A. El Farra

May 28, 1994, 12:22:23 PM5/28/94
Thomas W. Strong, Jr. (str...@CMU.EDU) wrote:
: Here's a summary of what's been posted so far:

[snip]
: Marines: jarheads, jy-rene, cannon fodder, grunts, Neanderthals,

: men's division of the navy, Bullet Sponges

how 'bout "self-propelled sand bags" or "bullet stoppers"
[snip]

: Military Police: Mop Pushers, Multi-Purpose, Military Pricks,
: Mud Puppies, Assholes.

also "Mouse Patrol"

-Nadir
--
na...@netcom.com = Nadir A. El Farra in Los Angeles
"Let us rise up tonight with a greater readiness. Let us stand with

Robert K. Davis

May 30, 1994, 12:16:06 AM5/30/94
Thomas W. Strong, Jr. (str...@CMU.EDU) wrote:
: Here's a summary of what's been posted so far:

: Midway = Miserable Midway

You forgot "Midway Magnet". This came from the 1980 collision with the
Cactus. (The same freighter also hit the Ranger.) I was stationed
aboard the Midway at this time, and if anyone would like to hear the
story, let me know.

--
arky...@netcom.com

"VII. Work thou not on energized equipment without proper procedures,
for if thou dost so, thy shipmates will surely be buying beers for thy
widow and consoling her in ways not generally acceptable to thee."

From the Ten Commandments of Electrical/Electronic Safety.

Greg Cox

Jun 13, 1994, 9:41:10 PM6/13/94
In article <chris.richar...@vt.edu> chris....@vt.edu wrote:
> >Forrestal = Forest Fire (bad flight deck fire in !60!s)
> >Independence = End of Penis
> >Saratoga = Sorry Sara
> >Coral Sea = ?
> >America = ?
>
> John F . Kennedy = Big John
>

> Chris Richard, IS2(SW/AW), USN
> ECP Officer Candidate
> Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State U.
> __ ________
> \ \/ __ __/
> \ / / /
> chris.richard@ \/ /_/.edu

Oriscany (I know it's spelled wrong) = Toasty O (bad flight deck fire...)

gr...@microsoft.com I don't speak for Microsoft, blah, blah, blah...

Brian Witchey

Jun 15, 1994, 6:08:23 PM6/15/94
In article <CrD60...@microsoft.com>, gr...@microsoft.com (Greg Cox)
wrote:

(snip (damn news server requirements)

> Oriscany (I know it's spelled wrong) = Toasty O (bad flight deck fire...)
>
> gr...@microsoft.com I don't speak for Microsoft, blah, blah, blah...

Willamette (sp?) = Will Ram It (accident with the Jason during games or
some such. At least that's what Dad said)

rgord...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2016, 10:34:26 PM6/10/16
On Monday, May 23, 1994 at 9:58:38 AM UTC-7, David Conner wrote:
> Does anybody have a list of derogatory nicknames used by members of
> different services to describe the others? I know Marines are "jarheads,"
> Navy personnel are "squids," are there any other memorable ones? I like
> the way submariners refer to the rest of the Navy as the "skimmer Navy."

ARMY means Aint Ready to be a Marine Yet.

Robertw...@live.com

Mar 25, 2018, 11:01:06 AM3/25/18
Non air assault personnel. Idiot with a hanky.
Infantry. Legs, grunts, ground pounders.
Artillery. Gun bunnies
Green berets. Sir.

likeab...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2018, 3:30:07 PM7/14/18
On Monday, May 23, 1994 at 10:58:38 AM UTC-6, David Conner wrote:
> Does anybody have a list of derogatory nicknames used by members of
> different services to describe the others? I know Marines are "jarheads,"
> Navy personnel are "squids," are there any other memorable ones? I like
> the way submariners refer to the rest of the Navy as the "skimmer Navy."

Don't forget Uncle Sam's canoe club aka the little sister of The Navy aka The Coast Guard.