CBS News: WikiLeaks claims to release thousands of CIA documents of computer activity

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Mar 7, 2017, 3:04:36 PM3/7/17
CBS News reported that WikiLeaks on Tuesday published thousands of
documents purportedly taken from the Central Intelligence Agency’s
Center for Cyber Intelligence, a dramatic release that appears to
expose intimate details of America’s cyberespionage toolkit.
WikiLeaks said the material came from “an isolated, high-security
network situated inside the CIA’s Center for Cyber Intelligence in
Langley, Virginia.” It didn’t say how the files were removed, such
as possibly by a rogue employee, by hacking a federal contractor
working for the CIA or breaking into a staging server where such
hacking tools might be temporarily stored.

full article at:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wikileaks-cia-documents-released-cyber-intelligence/

sidd

Mar 7, 2017, 7:17:57 PM3/7/17
In article <744ab824-3f36-4f5f...@googlegroups.com>,
<hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:
>CBS News reported that WikiLeaks on Tuesday published thousands of
>documents purportedly taken from the Central Intelligence Agency

wikileaks dump at

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

sidd

JimP.

Mar 8, 2017, 10:01:22 AM3/8/17
Ya ever notice how WikiLeaks doesn't post stuff from Russia ? Claims
around that WikiLeaks is a Russian front.
--
Jim

Dave Garland

Mar 8, 2017, 12:09:08 PM3/8/17
So have you tried sending them your wad of FSB files to see if they'll
publish them?

It's true they haven't posted much from Russia (though they have from
other countries). But it might just be that Russian secrets are
handled by actual Russian agents, not private contractors who bid
lowest for the job. Or that they'd post more if the US govt started
funneling them Russian stuff to post, like the Russians may do with US
stuff.

Osmium

Mar 8, 2017, 12:34:52 PM3/8/17
If there is a difference between USA and Russia, I think it is not
because of lowest bidder or something such as that. It would be due to
an innate fear of what the government might do if they catch you.
Retribution or punishment is not thought of as a good deterrent in the
USA, the focus is on rehabilitation; maybe his mommy didn't love him
enough or he drank too much HFCS as a child.

Scott Lurndal

Mar 8, 2017, 12:39:10 PM3/8/17
Or perhaps, it's because the US government being _of the people_, _by the people_
and _for the people_ shouldn't be _spying on the people_ and keeping
arbitrary secrets _from the people_.

Osmium

Mar 8, 2017, 1:23:22 PM3/8/17
That's an entirely different subject than the one I was addressing. I
think secrecy is sometimes necessary as in the atom bomb situation. I
think that comes down to "there are no absolutes, except, maybe, the
speed of light. I don't have an actual position in the case at hand, and
don't really see the point in developing one.

I think nobility is way down towards the bottom of one's hierarchy of
needs while self-preservation is kinda high on the same list. Chelsea
Manning was sentenced to 35 years which was commuted to time served by
President Obama and he is now a free agent. This is not a good message
to send to the spy people, they can google as well as I can.

Peter Flass

Mar 8, 2017, 1:29:52 PM3/8/17
Like the scene in _The Americans_ where Nina was told she had been
convicted of treason and immediately shot in the back of the head in the
warden's office.

--
Pete

Peter Flass

Mar 8, 2017, 1:29:53 PM3/8/17
Maybe. I tend to lean pretty far right on these issues but stuff like
secret FISA courts sound like Fascism to me.

--
Pete

Scott Lurndal

Mar 8, 2017, 1:43:19 PM3/8/17
Osmium <r124c...@comcast.net> writes:
>On 3/8/2017 11:39 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Osmium <r124c...@comcast.net> writes:

>>> If there is a difference between USA and Russia, I think it is not
>>> because of lowest bidder or something such as that. It would be due to
>>> an innate fear of what the government might do if they catch you.
>>> Retribution or punishment is not thought of as a good deterrent in the
>>> USA, the focus is on rehabilitation; maybe his mommy didn't love him
>>> enough or he drank too much HFCS as a child.
>>>
>> Or perhaps, it's because the US government being _of the people_, _by the people_
>> and _for the people_ shouldn't be _spying on the people_ and keeping
>> arbitrary secrets _from the people_.
>
>That's an entirely different subject than the one I was addressing. I
>think secrecy is sometimes necessary as in the atom bomb situation.

Certainly the PAL codes should be kept secure[*]. Physics, on the other
hand, can't by definition, be kept secure. The engineering can be
obfuscated, but as shown by experience, what one man can figure out
another can replicate.

[*] Fools setting the PAL codes to 0000, well that's just incompetence.

>I think nobility is way down towards the bottom of one's hierarchy of
>needs while self-preservation is kinda high on the same list. Chelsea
>Manning was sentenced to 35 years which was commuted to time served by
>President Obama and he is now a free agent. This is not a good message
>to send to the spy people, they can google as well as I can.

35 years was way overkill. His life has basically been ruined
for the rest of his existence - shouldn't that, on top of time served,
be sufficient?

Look - 35,000 americans die each year in car accidents. Far fewer have
died on american soil from foreign terrorism since the country was
founded. Let's get our priorities straight and recognize a boogyman as
such.

The idiot-in-chief is now proposing to savage the US Coast Guard
(who save hundreds of lives each year) to pay for his silly wall. That's
just plain fucked up.

Scott Lurndal

Mar 8, 2017, 1:43:44 PM3/8/17
Be careful what you wish for.

Peter Flass

Mar 8, 2017, 1:58:53 PM3/8/17
Or maybe not.

I don't have an actual position in the case at hand, and
> don't really see the point in developing one.
>
> I think nobility is way down towards the bottom of one's hierarchy of
> needs while self-preservation is kinda high on the same list. Chelsea
> Manning was sentenced to 35 years which was commuted to time served by
> President Obama and he is now a free agent. This is not a good message
> to send to the spy people, they can google as well as I can.

--
Pete

Dan Espen

Mar 8, 2017, 2:00:26 PM3/8/17
You must be confusing the USA with Sweden.
Rehabilitation in the USA went out of style in the 70s.

There are some minimal efforts to impart job skills to young
offenders but that's pretty much it.

I think that's about right.

--
Dan Espen

JimP.

Mar 8, 2017, 2:13:22 PM3/8/17
On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 18:43:18 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
And they protect him when he is at his estate... southern White House
in Florida.
--
Jim

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Mar 8, 2017, 3:33:53 PM3/8/17
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 1:43:19 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Certainly the PAL codes should be kept secure[*]. Physics, on the other
> hand, can't by definition, be kept secure. The engineering can be
> obfuscated, but as shown by experience, what one man can figure out
> another can replicate.

Except that the enemy could save tremendous amounts of time and
money in researching the effort themselves by stealing the secrets.

Klaus Fuchs and other gave away critical atomic bomb secrets to
the Soviets, which greatly expedited their effort. (Ref, Dark Sun
by Richard Rhodes).

I'm only speculating, but I wonder if the Korean War would've been
avoided if the Soviets didn't have the bomb.

> >I think nobility is way down towards the bottom of one's hierarchy of
> >needs while self-preservation is kinda high on the same list. Chelsea
> >Manning was sentenced to 35 years which was commuted to time served by
> >President Obama and he is now a free agent. This is not a good message
> >to send to the spy people, they can google as well as I can.
>
> 35 years was way overkill. His life has basically been ruined
> for the rest of his existence - shouldn't that, on top of time served,
> be sufficient?

IMHO, Manning was released too soon. Maybe 35 years was too much,
but his time served wasn't enough.

[snip]

> The idiot-in-chief is now proposing to savage the US Coast Guard
> (who save hundreds of lives each year) to pay for his silly wall. That's
> just plain fucked up.

Yes, the "wall" is a bad idea.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Mar 8, 2017, 3:41:32 PM3/8/17
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 12:39:10 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Or perhaps, it's because the US government being _of the people_, _by the people_
> and _for the people_ shouldn't be _spying on the people_ and keeping
> arbitrary secrets _from the people_.

In the closing scene of the film, Three Days of the Condor, Robert
Redford tells his boss of his indignation over the spy games that
some in the agency were playing and got carried away with. But
Cliff Robertson (the boss) points out that if there was a true
oil shortage and people couldn't drive and were cold in their homes,
they'd be DEMANDING something be done, right away, whatever it took.

The point is that we do need a defense of our country from hostile
elements, and some secrets and spying are necessary to do that. This
is necessary to protect the lives of our citizens and soldiers and
those of our allies.

The hard part is finding a balance between legitimate security
interests and nasty stuff. It's not easy.

Since 9/11 finding a balance has been even harder. It certainly
seemed overkill when they traced NYS Gov. Spitzer's banking
activity under national security law, only to learn he was
hiring a hooker, something that had ZERO to do with national
security.

Dave Garland

Mar 8, 2017, 5:53:39 PM3/8/17
On 3/8/2017 2:33 PM, hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> IMHO, Manning was released too soon. Maybe 35 years was too much,
> but his time served wasn't enough.

Damn straight. If US aircrews are going to gun down journalists and
passersby who stop to render aid to the injured, it should remain a
state secret.

Like the bombing of Cambodia, it won't fool the locals. But it makes
it harder to maintain enthusiasm on the home front.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Mar 8, 2017, 9:19:10 PM3/8/17

at recent talk on sr-71, flew at 75k-80k ft at mach 3.2 (outside
ground-to-air missile range) ... one of the comments about sr-71 being
retired ... however that for desert storm, Schwarzkoph had request for
sr-71 photo recon (even there was enormous amount of sat. and other photo
recon).

desert storm lasted 42 days ... but only the last 100hrs were land war;
US had quickly achieved air superiority and GAO Desert Storm Air Power
study that US were destroying tanks, vehicles, installations effectively
at will ... and Iraqi tank crews were walking away from their tanks
because their tanks were such easily being targeted and destroyed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War

Later there were accounts of fierce tank battles where coalition forces
received no damage ... but they don't mention if the Iraqi tanks had
anybody home. Their are several accounts that Schwarzkopf had originally
planned frontal tank battles until last tank standing.

Boyd is credited with the "left hook" desert storm battle plan ... which
required a force to get behind the Republican Guard cutting them off
from retreating. The left hook didn't arrive in time and Republican
Guard managed to escape. I've pontificated that while Abrahms M1 specs
indicated that they could have easily accomplished the mission, possibly
Boyd didn't realized how tightly tethered to supply/maintenance (aka for
short distances they have speed but they needed frequent refueling and
maintenance).

I use to sponsors Boyd's briefings at IBM ... past posts and URLs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subboyd.html

Note that US had supported Iraq in the Iran/Iraq war (Bush1 was vp and
former CIA director)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93Iraq_War
including WMDs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_support_for_Iraq_during_the_Iran%E2%80%93Iraq_war

Sat. photo recon analyst (no SR-71) had notified the white house (Bush1)
that Iraq was marshaling forces for invasion of Kuwait. White House said
that Saddam had told them he would do no such thing and proceeded to
discredit the analyst. Then the analyst notified the white house that
Saddam was marshaling forces for invasion of Saudia Arabia, now the
white house has to choose between Saddam and Saudia Arabia.
http://www.amazon.com/Long-Strange-Journey-Intelligence-ebook/dp/B004NNV5H2/

last decade, cousin of (Bush2) White House chief of staff Card ... was
dealing with the Iraqis at the UN and was given evidence that WMDs had
been decommissioned and provided info to Card, Powell and others. She
wrote a book about then getting locked up in Texas military hospital
when she tried to take it public ... book published 2010.
http://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-PREJUDICE-Terrifying-Story-Patriot-ebook/dp/B004HYHBK2/

it turns out that the decommissioned WMDs tracing back to the US were
found shortly after the invasion ... but the information wasn't
declassified until 2014 (four yrs after Card's cousin book was
published)
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html

this references that military-industrial complex wanted the Iraq2 war so
badly that corporate reps were telling former soviet block countries
that if they voted for the invasion in the UN, they would get NATO
membership and (directed appropriation) USAID (that could only be used
for purchase of US arms)
http://www.amazon.com/Prophets-War-Lockheed-Military-Industrial-ebook/dp/B0047T86BA

now there is apaprently nearly perfect status ... "perpetual war", from
one of Boyd "acolytes"
http://chuckspinney.blogspot.com/p/domestic-roots-of-perpetual-war.html
like an old "Star Trek" episode
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_war

military-industrial complex posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#military.industrial.complex
perpetual war posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#perpetual.war

Churchill wrote series of (supposedly) history books ... that got Nobel
prize for literature (fiction?, not for history). In one he describes
how Great Britain got into the mess in the middle east (needing supply
of oil). started with planning to move from 13.5in to 15in guns;
loc2012-14:

From the beginning there appeared a ship carrying ten 15-inch guns, and
therefore at least 600 feet long with room inside her for engines which
would drive her 21 knots and capacity to carry armour which on the
armoured belt, the turrets and the conning tower would reach the
thickness unprecedented in the British Service of 13 inches.

loc2087-89:

To build any large additional number of oil-burning ships meant basing
our naval supremacy upon oil. But oil was not found in appreciable
quantities in our islands. If we required it, we must carry it by sea in
peace or war from distant countries.

loc2151-56:

This led to enormous expense and to tremendous opposition on the Naval
Estimates. Yet it was absolutely impossible to turn back. We could only
fight our way forward, and finally we found our way to the Anglo-Persian
Oil agreement and contract, which for an initial investment of two
millions of public money (subsequently increased to five millions) has
not only secured to the Navy a very substantial proportion of its oil
supply, but has led to the acquisition by the Government of a
controlling share in oil properties and interests which are at present
valued at scores of millions sterling, and also to very considerable
economies, which are still continuing, in the purchase price of
Admiralty oil.

... snip ...

Then in the 50s, an Iran popular elected government wanted to examine
the terms of the British oil contract. Kermit Roosevelt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_Roosevelt,_Jr.
helps with coup that installs the Shaw
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat
... and Schwarzkoph (senior) training of the secret police to help keep
Shah in power
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAVAK

Charlie Gibbs

Mar 8, 2017, 10:25:09 PM3/8/17
On 2017-03-08, Scott Lurndal <sc...@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

> Osmium <r124c...@comcast.net> writes:

Except among the alt-right, who get an almost orgasmic pleasure in
meting it out.

>>> Or perhaps, it's because the US government being _of the people_,
>>> _by the people_ and _for the people_ shouldn't be _spying on the people_
>>> and keeping arbitrary secrets _from the people_.

Ah, but it's for the greatest good of the greatest number - which, all
too often, is interpreted as "the greatest good for a number of the great".

>> That's an entirely different subject than the one I was addressing. I
>> think secrecy is sometimes necessary as in the atom bomb situation.
>
> Certainly the PAL codes should be kept secure[*]. Physics, on the other
> hand, can't by definition, be kept secure. The engineering can be
> obfuscated, but as shown by experience, what one man can figure out
> another can replicate.

Someone once said something to the effect of "Mother Nature is a
blabbermouth - she'll tell her secrets to anyone who asks the right
questions."

> [*] Fools setting the PAL codes to 0000, well that's just incompetence.

Richard Feynman wrote some amusing stories about that.

>> I think nobility is way down towards the bottom of one's hierarchy
>> of needs while self-preservation is kinda high on the same list.

This applies to paranoids too - and gives, uh, interesting results there.

>> Chelsea Manning was sentenced to 35 years which was commuted to time
>> served by President Obama and he is now a free agent. This is not a good
>> message to send to the spy people, they can google as well as I can.
>
> 35 years was way overkill. His life has basically been ruined
> for the rest of his existence - shouldn't that, on top of time served,
> be sufficient?
>
> Look - 35,000 americans die each year in car accidents. Far fewer
> have died on american soil from foreign terrorism since the country was
> founded. Let's get our priorities straight and recognize a boogyman as
> such.

But it's so _useful_! (Not to mention fun.)

> The idiot-in-chief is now proposing to savage the US Coast Guard
> (who save hundreds of lives each year) to pay for his silly wall.
> That's just plain fucked up.

Yup.

I just heard something fun on the radio; a comedian, going on
about something totally different, threw in a reference to a
"Make America great again" sombrero. :-)

--
/~\ cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

Charlie Gibbs

Mar 8, 2017, 10:25:09 PM3/8/17
Not to mention the way it totally screws up air traffic in the area.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Mar 9, 2017, 2:29:12 AM3/9/17
On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 12:33:52 -0800 (PST)
hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 1:43:19 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>
> > Certainly the PAL codes should be kept secure[*]. Physics, on the
> > other hand, can't by definition, be kept secure. The engineering can
> > be obfuscated, but as shown by experience, what one man can figure out
> > another can replicate.
>
> Except that the enemy could save tremendous amounts of time and
> money in researching the effort themselves by stealing the secrets.

There is that, I read recently that some parts of the Orion project
are still classified because they involve clever ways of making *small*
nukes.

> Klaus Fuchs and other gave away critical atomic bomb secrets to
> the Soviets, which greatly expedited their effort. (Ref, Dark Sun
> by Richard Rhodes).
>
> I'm only speculating, but I wonder if the Korean War would've been
> avoided if the Soviets didn't have the bomb.

Perhaps, but we would also not have had MAD and the USA may well
have nuked the USSR in order to prevent Europe getting invaded by the, very
large, Soviet conventional forces.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

jmfbahciv

Mar 9, 2017, 8:19:14 AM3/9/17
Or Russia still hasn't computerized their intell.

/BAH

Walter Banks

Mar 9, 2017, 8:52:05 AM3/9/17
On 2017-03-08 9:25 PM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

>> The idiot-in-chief is now proposing to savage the US Coast Guard
>> (who save hundreds of lives each year) to pay for his silly wall.
>> That's just plain fucked up.
> Yup.
>
> I just heard something fun on the radio; a comedian, going on about
> something totally different, threw in a reference to a "Make America
> great again" sombrero. :-)

I was hiking in Utah a couple weeks ago. A BLM ranger commented that
Global Warming will be noticed when the sea rises to the point a dike is
constructed around Mar-A-Lago.

w..

Michael Black

Mar 9, 2017, 11:45:53 AM3/9/17
I saw the article. Because he doesn't want to be like the average
President, it's costing a lot in security, not just the Secret Service but
local law enforcement.

SO the wife and kid in New York city runs up a tab, the trips to Florida
run up a tab (they say that the golf club down there is especially hard to
protect, unlike Camp David that is relatively secure to begin with), the
kids going off to work business deals (I can't remember what happened with
adult children of previous Presidents).

You'd think he'd give consideration to that waste, he's entitled to
security but he could show some consideration. I'm not sure it's good
that "politician" becomes a career title, but Rich Guy doesn't seem to be
as humbling as even long term politicians who make it to the White House.

Michael

Andrew Swallow

Mar 9, 2017, 12:31:21 PM3/9/17
On 08/03/2017 20:33, hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
{snip}

> I'm only speculating, but I wonder if the Korean War would've been
> avoided if the Soviets didn't have the bomb.

No. Apparently Stalin said no to war but Kim still went ahead.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Mar 9, 2017, 2:41:59 PM3/9/17

re:
http:///www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#33 CBS News: WikiLeaks claims to release thousands of CIA documents of computer activity

entites have been dancing through gov. secure networks for years,
including retrieving detailed classified specifications on
major weapon systems.

Report: China gained U.S. weapons secrets using cyberespionage
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/28/world/asia/china-cyberespionage/
Confidential report lists U.S. weapons system designs compromised by
Chinese cyberspies
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/confidential-report-lists-us-weapons-system-designs-compromised-by-chinese-cyberspies/2013/05/27/a42c3e1c-c2dd-11e2-8c3b-0b5e9247e8ca_story.html

Also on the list is the most expensive weapons system ever built
-- the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, which is on track to cost about
$1.4 trillion. The 2007 hack of that project was reported previously.

... snip ...

REPORT: Chinese Hackers Stole Plans For Dozens Of Critical US Weapons
Systems
http://www.businessinsider.com/china-hacked-us-military-weapons-systems-2013-5
A list of the U.S. weapons designs and technologies compromised by
hackers
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/a-list-of-the-us-weapons-designs-and-technologies-compromised-by-hackers/2013/05/27/a95b2b12-c483-11e2-9fe2-6ee52d0eb7c1_story.html

From a press standpoint ... all these major compromises reportedly have
come from Asia ... but for some reason, major news is constantly
pointing fingers in other directions. There also seems to be
misdirection with all the uproar about compromises of consumer goods
... when there is all this stuff about serious weapons systems.

Weapon systems will remain vulnerable to hackers for "decades," Air
Forces Cyber Commander says
https://www.fedscoop.com/weapon-systems-will-remain-vulnerable-to-hackers-for-decades-air-forces-cyber-commander-says/
China's State-Sponsored Cyber Attacks Must Stop
https://www.theglobalist.com/china-united-states-cyber-crime-politics/
Chinese hacked U.S. military contractors: Senate panel
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-military-cyberspying-idUSKBN0HC1TA20140918
Why China hacks the world
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2016/0131/Why-China-hacks-the-world

of course part of this is enormous outsourcing (frequently to "for
profit" private-equity subsidiaries, that are under intense pressure to
cut corners and provide revenue to their owners) that occured last
decade

AMEX had been in competition with KKR for private-equity LBO of RJR,
KKR wins, but runs into some problems and hires away the president
of AMEX to help
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbarians_at_the_Gate:_The_Fall_of_RJR_Nabisco
IBM has gone into the red and is being reorganized into the
13 baby blues for breaking up the company. The board then brings
in the former AMEX president to revese the breakup and resurrect
the company, using some of the same techniques at RJR
http://www.ibmemployee.com/RetirementHeist.shtml

then the former AMEX president leaves IBM to head up major
private-equity company that buys the beltway bandit that will employ
Snowden. in intelligence, 70% of the budget and over half the people
http://www.investingdaily.com/17693/spies-like-us
and the rapidly spreading "success of failure" culture (aka more
money from series of failures)
http://www.govexec.com/excellence/management-matters/2007/04/the-success-of-failure/24107/

... OPM had also outsourced to one of the private-equity owned
subsidiaries
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/06/24/opm-contractor-veritas/
https://fcw.com/articles/2015/06/24/house-oversight-opm.aspx

a lot of this seems similar to the motivation of the cal. data breach
notification legislation ... the institutions with the major breaches
were doing little or nothing about it, because the breaches didn't
(directly) put the institution at risk ... it was the their customers or
the public put at risk (aka normally institutions/individuals take
security measures in self-protection)
success of failure posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#success.of.failure
private equity posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#private.equity
data breach notification
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#data.breach.notification

at one end of the spectrum are claims enabling the enemy, helps support
the military-industrial complex strategy of "perpetual war"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#perpetual.war

some past posts about being cyberdumb
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015f.html#21 Credit card fraud solution coming to America...finally
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016b.html#4 Cyberdumb
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016b.html#8 Cyberdumb
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016b.html#19 Does Cybercrime Really Cost $1 Trillion?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016b.html#20 DEC and The Americans
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016b.html#91 Computers anyone?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016b.html#95 Computers anyone?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016e.html#104 E.R. Burroughs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016f.html#104 How to Win the Cyberwar Against Russia
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016h.html#0 Snowden
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016h.html#28 China's spies gain valuable US defense technology: report
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016h.html#40 The F-22 Raptor Is the World's Best Fighter (And It Has a Secret Weapon That Is Out in the Open)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016h.html#67 "I used a real computer at home...and so will you" (Popular Science May 1967)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2016h.html#76 The F-35 Stealth Fighter Is Politically Unstoppable----Even Under President Trump
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017.html#62 Big Shrink to "Hire" 25,000 in the US, as Layoffs Pile Up
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#15 China's claim it has 'quantum' radar may leave $17 billion F-35 naked

Peter Flass

Mar 9, 2017, 4:22:12 PM3/9/17
He darn near won, too. One of my earliest memories is listening to a radio
news report on the Inchon landing. Of course I didn't understand what was
going on, but I understood it was good news.

--
Pete

J. Clarke

Mar 10, 2017, 4:39:52 AM3/10/17
In article <ahYvA.74536$561....@fx42.iad>,
sc...@slp53.sl.home says...
The amount that he wants to take out of their
budget, curiously, is almost exactly the amount
that they want for drug enforcement.

He's an idiot, but before you throw around words
like "savaging", find out what is actually being
proposed.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Mar 10, 2017, 10:59:12 AM3/10/17
"J. Clarke" <j.clark...@gmail.com> writes:
> The amount that he wants to take out of their
> budget, curiously, is almost exactly the amount
> that they want for drug enforcement.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#33 CBS News: WikiLeaks claims to release thousands of CIA documents of computer activity
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#34 CBS News: WikiLeaks claims to release thousands of CIA documents of computer activity

I remember when DHS first absorbed secret service ... there was
complaints that DHS had redirected something like 30% of secret service
budget to help pay for DHS hdqtrs overhead ... and that diverting that
much money would seriously affect secret service capability (people,
operations, moral, etc). There were number of reports that DHS
had created enormous, expensive bureaucratic overhead.

misc. past posts mentioning secret service
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001c.html#54 PKI and Non-repudiation practicalities
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006p.html#9 New airline security measures in Europe
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#33 New attacks on the financial PIN processing
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#0 Patent buster for a method that increases password security
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#11 Secret Service plans IT reboot
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#12 Secret Service plans IT reboot
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#13 Secret Service plans IT reboot
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#18 Secret Service plans IT reboot
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#37 More calumny: "Secret Service Uses 1980s Mainframe"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#59 More calumny: "Secret Service Uses 1980s Mainframe"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#63 More calumny: "Secret Service Uses 1980s Mainframe"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#1 More calumny: "Secret Service Uses 1980s Mainframe"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#59 More calumny: "Secret Service Uses 1980s Mainframe"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010p.html#0 CARD AUTHENTICATION TECHNOLOGY - Embedded keypad on Card - Is this the future
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010p.html#2 Fun with ATM Skimmers, Part III
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011i.html#0 Cyberwar vs. Cyber-Espionage vs. Cybercrime
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013d.html#74 What Makes an Architecture Bizarre?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014b.html#69 Why is the US a decade behind Europe on 'chip and pin' cards?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014f.html#17 Online Debit, Credit Fraud Will Soon Get Much Worse
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014k.html#51 LA Times commentary: roll out "smart" credit cards to deter fraud

Jon Elson

Mar 10, 2017, 6:39:32 PM3/10/17
Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:

> entites have been dancing through gov. secure networks for years,
> including retrieving detailed classified specifications on
> major weapon systems.
Yeah, some years ago, like maybe just after the first gulf war, I was poking
around learning about a few weapon systems, when i came upon a section of
what must have been the tech manual for the hellfire missile. It had a HUGE
amount of detail on the guidance system, the arming safety system and all
sorts of other things. I was rather shocked that this was all public. Some
of this info could have been REALLY useful to anybody who might be a target
of such a weapon. Such details as there was a certain distance from the
firing aircraft where the missile would not arm. Presumably, if you stayed
that close, the aircraft would know not to fire at you.

A while later I went back and tried to find that manual, and it was gone.
No surprise. I suspect there's a HUGE amount of info that should not have
been available to the public, but at least a few copies of those documents
have gotten out.

Jon

ma...@mail.com

Mar 11, 2017, 4:19:30 AM3/11/17
The British government has bought ships and some aircraft from the US. as
part of the deal, if anyting breaks down, as complicated things do, they
cannot be repaired locally, but have to be towed to port, and repaired
by the US companys that built them.

--
greymaus.ireland.ie
Just_Another_Grumpy_Old_Man