Classic Games (Re: The ZX spectrum was wonderful)

Stewart J. Stremler

Mar 19, 1993, 9:42:41 PM3/19/93
Thomas Beagle (tho...@datamark.co.nz) wrote:

: Sure, when modern games get it right, they're even more fun. Consider
: Lemmings on the Amiga - beautiful graphics, great sound and an
: interesting and intriguing game underneath all the glitz.

Or "Agony" -- beautiful graphics, beautiful sound, and the game is a major
source of damaged joysticks.... and I hate shoot-em-up games (poor reflexes).
:-)

"Rogue" still holds the record for most-played game on my Amiga, and it
doesn't take advantage of the hardware like it could. I suppose there's some-
thing to be said for concept, eh?

Stewart Stremler masc...@ucssun1.sdsu.edu
"What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man?"

Andreas Meyer

Mar 26, 1993, 12:49:37 AM3/26/93
In alt.folklore.computers, masc...@ucsnews.sdsu.edu (Stewart J. Stremler) writes:
> "Rogue" still holds the record for most-played game on my Amiga,

...and on my CP/M system too.

It's a lovely version written by David Goodenough, but I can't remember
where I got it. BTW, he's also written both an implementation of uucp and
a VT100 terminal emulator for CP/M, which are available on SIMTEL or any
of it's mirror sites.

Andy
--
Andreas Meyer, N2FYE a...@spatula.rent.com Ne dit jamais jamais.

Neil L Cook

Mar 29, 1993, 7:12:52 AM3/29/93
In article <1993Mar26.0...@spatula.rent.com>, a...@spatula.rent.com (Andreas Meyer) writes:
|> > "Rogue" still holds the record for most-played game on my Amiga,

Any Spectrum owners out there remember a fairly early game called
"Wheelie". Absolutely magic game where you had to get to the end of a series
of jumps/obstacles etc, find the ghost rider, and then race him back to the
start - he went fairly slowly, but THROUGH the obstacles. I remember
beautifully smooth animation, and it was just a classic game.

Neil.

Matthew Davey

Mar 30, 1993, 12:56:38 PM3/30/93
n...@trellis.cs.nott.ac.uk (Neil L Cook) writes:
>Any Spectrum owners out there remember a fairly early game called
>"Wheelie". Absolutely magic game where you had to get to the end of a series

>beautifully smooth animation, and it was just a classic game.

Well, I do remember it, but I think my (copied... weren't they all
then?) version had some kind of bug, because the ghost rider tended to
disappear in some coloured blocks and hang the computer periodically
-- mean, huh! Maybe this had something to do with a rather weird
effect of our machine: one particular (fairly obscure) rotate register
assembly instruction simply didn't work -- faulty CPU I'm sure, a
one-off, only affected some programs, esp. Hungry Horace series (way
back at the start of all Spectrum games, Psion software.)

The all time classic for me has to be Manic Miner which I managed to
complete, all the way through the Solar Power Generator (level 19)
which had a light beam that drained your oxygen supply......

<sigh> I can't even complete Mario Bros. on my brother's Nintendo
nowadays....

--

Matthew C. Davey What do you call a woman throwing bills in the fire?
mcd...@maths.tcd.ie Bernadette.

Thomas Beagle

Apr 1, 1993, 3:14:32 AM4/1/93

Definitely a classic.

It was interesting that the game would crash once in a blue moon -
with a basic error! Yep, some of it was written in Spectrum basic.

All time classic earl Spectrum game - 3D Deathchase. Wonderful...

--
Thomas Beagle | tho...@datamark.co.nz Work: 64 4 233 8186 __o
Technical Writer | tho...@cavebbs.welly.gen.nz Home: 64 4 499 3832 _-\<,

Chris Cannam

Apr 1, 1993, 6:58:28 AM4/1/93

In article <1993Apr1.0...@datamark.co.nz>
tho...@datamark.co.nz (Thomas Beagle) writes:

All time classic earl Spectrum game - 3D Deathchase. Wonderful...

Ah yes, certainly. And it has to be one of the best things ever to
have fit into 16K. I once motivated myself to start writing an even
more simple (graphically speaking) version that would hopefully run
somewhat faster -- Deathchase was a little slow --, but I never got as
far as getting it up and running. Shame -- it still sounds like a
good idea.

X version, anyone?

--

Le monde mental ment monumentalement.

The One True Dave

Apr 1, 1993, 11:42:11 AM4/1/93

Speaking of really really classic games, does anybody remember
Y-Wing? CP/M games were good because they HAD to be imaginitive.
And this one was great.

How many of you guys finished Zork and Adventure before MS-DOS
came out?

-Dave

M. Welsh

Apr 6, 1993, 9:35:32 AM4/6/93

That game has to be one of my all time faves too. In fact I think I'll
dust down my Speccy and have a go on it tonight ( If the keyboard will
work! ). I'm surprised you want it faster though, night 8 was
horrifically difficult as it stood! In case anyone's wondering the game
was just like the speeder bike chase in "Return of the Jedi". It's a
shame nobody has done a similar game on a modern system.
The Spectrum was pretty brilliant for motor bike games in general.
Remember Full Throttle (same programmer as 3D Deathcase), and later on the amazing conversions of Enduro Racer and Super Hang On?

Martin.

Alun

Apr 1, 1993, 7:25:49 AM4/1/93

Ahhh - those were the days my friend.
Unfortunately I had a very temperamental version of the game in which I had to
turn the volume of my tape deck down just at the right moment else the game
crashed in loading, but I would spend hours trying to load it - once it was
loaded then I would spend a couple of days playing it. I can't remember all
the passwords to it, sommat like XENON BEBOP SHARK ZX83B and a few more.

-Alun
--
| *I'm as bad as the worst - but thank God(?) I am as good as the best.* |
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------- |

Charles Lasner

Apr 6, 1993, 1:52:06 PM4/6/93

How about I was playing Advent (later Zork) on TOPS10 before there even
was a CP/M.

cjl

Jerryl Payne

Apr 8, 1993, 5:44:30 PM4/8/93
I recall that Advent was popular around DEC in the fall of 1977, just about
the time of VAX release. I passed by a key terminal room in Vaxland one
Friday before thanksgiving, and saw all these people hard at "work". I was
really impressed at the commitment to getting the job done. Upon entering
to look and see what kind of work was going on, I discovered how much
everyone was addicted to advent. At one point, the cave was even available
from the engineering drawings print window: something with -ADVENT- in the
code.

drop magazines

--
The Organ Keyboard of