Enya reference, was A/D discussion

Lorien Flinn

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

> If I am not mistaken (Verdant?) Enya came out of Clannad which is a
> traditional Irish group and is where she got many of her influences.
Anyway,
> she's not bad - I even own a couple of her CD's (just as I owned a few
Disco
> records). The genre, as a whole however, is still in my opinion very weak.
> Who's OPM? - or what is it?
>
> John
Actually, Enya is Maire Brennan's sister, Maire bieng the lead singer for
Clannad. Don't think she played with them, but she probably made some sort
of contribution at some point, long ago, though at this point I'm pretty much
talking out my ass.

Lorien

Dale Kirby

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96
>bit of a fan of Celtic music. . .and Enya was in Clannad and on early
>recordings. Fyi tidbit. Steve Perry (Journey) also sang a duet with Maire
>Brennan on a Clannad disk. Great song.
>
>barb

Did anybody else enjoy Braveheart despite the carnage? It was almost like
reading a good novel.

Dale

Barb Karman

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

Uli Niebergall

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

>Nope... I thought Mel Gibson was ridiculously old for the part, historically
>it was a little more than creative, and the storytelling was manipulative.
>But that's just me. I can't remember the last Hollywood movie I genuinely
>liked.
>
>Verdant
> I don't know what's gotten into me lately, I'm, a regular cuss, ain't
>I?... :} but really, a smiley one

Veronica,
Don't go changing, to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore
I'll take you just the way you are.

Summarizing the country-lyrics-80s-being-a-cuss-threads: Billy, just another
fossil from those 80s, yes-yes-yes, the song is 70s, but Billy definitely
spells 80s to me.

uli

Sean Yeomans

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

<snip>
> girl singers' to Alanis Morrisette, or The Presidents of the USA to
Pearl
> Jam. It's not that they don't have a certain amount of talent and
craft,
<snip>

we're not gonna make it
'cause we don't have the time
and we don't have the talent
and we don't know how rhyme
presidents of the usa, i forget the song title

anybody who compares presidents of the usa to pearl jam has only
heard them on the radio and is thinking of lump and peaches.

of course that's just my opinion and i stand guilty of making
judgment when i don't know pearl jam well.

sean

Verdant

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

>> If I am not mistaken (Verdant?) Enya came out of Clannad which is a
>> traditional Irish group and is where she got many of her influences.
>Anyway,
>> she's not bad - I even own a couple of her CD's (just as I owned a few
>Disco
>> records). The genre, as a whole however, is still in my opinion very weak.
>> Who's OPM? - or what is it?
>>
>> John
>Actually, Enya is Maire Brennan's sister, Maire bieng the lead singer for
>Clannad. Don't think she played with them, but she probably made some sort
>of contribution at some point, long ago, though at this point I'm pretty much
>talking out my ass.
>
>Lorien

Enya is one of those artists I just never got into, don't know why, I
just don't. However, she is probably a good reference in terms of new age
music. I may not care for her, but she is the real thing. Lovely ethereal
voice combined with gifted songwriting, beautifully produced. Then there's
'new age' music... pre-planned, packaged, researched to be ethereal and
lovely and poetic, but it's aim is to replicate, not to create. Sort of
like comparing the Spice Girls to Salt n Pepa, or most of the new 'angry

girl singers' to Alanis Morrisette, or The Presidents of the USA to Pearl
Jam. It's not that they don't have a certain amount of talent and craft,
but their fame is only achieved on the coattails of someone else, which is
not the same thing as one artist breaking ground that another plays on.
Yes, this is a grey area... very grey

Verdant

Verdant

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

>>>In a message dated 96-12-13 22:03:26 EST, you write:

>>>Anyway,
>>>Disco

>>>Actually, Enya is Maire Brennan's sister, Maire bieng the lead singer for
>>>Clannad. Don't think she played with them, but she probably made some sort
>>>of contribution at some point, long ago, though at this point I'm pretty much
>>>talking out my ass.
>>>
>>>Lorien
>>

>>bit of a fan of Celtic music. . .and Enya was in Clannad and on early
>>recordings. Fyi tidbit. Steve Perry (Journey) also sang a duet with Maire
>>Brennan on a Clannad disk. Great song.
>>
>>barb
>
>Did anybody else enjoy Braveheart despite the carnage? It was almost like
>reading a good novel.
>
>Dale

Dale Kirby

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

Gee, an old fart who gets to bed beautiful young women and be a hero.
I'm not sure what the appeal to me was???

Dale

Jim LaPierre

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

> > I don't know what's gotten into me lately, I'm, a regular cuss, ain't
> >I?... :} but really, a smiley one
> >
> It's the holidays. Every year I swear I'm going to get into the Xmas spirit
> but then the first store I go shopping in makes it such a hassle that POOF,
> the spirit goes right out the window. One of these years I'm going to take
> the money we spend on presents and donate it to some worthwhile charity in
> each person's name. Probably will piss them off, though it would be much
> more in the true meaning of the season.
>
> John

John I would be thrilled (if I were on your gift list)
It certainly beats Old Spice!!!!!!!!!

Seriously,I think anyone who would be pissed off by such a gift is a
terribly shallow person.

I donate to several charities.It feels better than most things I do.

I honestly believe that those who have more than they need
have a responsibility to those who do not have enough.

Wanna get in the spirit? Go to the Salvation Army and give them whatever
you can.(time,money etc)

I have Christmas spirit only 2x a year
watching my kids open their presents
donating to those down and out.

Jim

Dale Kirby

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

Uli Niebergall wrote:

> >Nope... I thought Mel Gibson was ridiculously old for the part, historically
> >it was a little more than creative, and the storytelling was manipulative.
> >But that's just me. I can't remember the last Hollywood movie I genuinely
> >liked.
> >
> >Verdant
> > I don't know what's gotten into me lately, I'm, a regular cuss, ain't
> >I?... :} but really, a smiley one
> >
> Veronica,
> Don't go changing, to try and please me
> You never let me down before
> Don't imagine you're too familiar
> And I don't see you anymore
> I'll take you just the way you are.
>
> Summarizing the country-lyrics-80s-being-a-cuss-threads: Billy, just another
> fossil from those 80s, yes-yes-yes, the song is 70s, but Billy definitely
> spells 80s to me.
>
> uli

I've been noticing a lot ambiguity about decades around here. I guess
starting the sixties in '67 through everybody off by a few years.

Dale

Jim LaPierre

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

Sean Yeomans wrote:

> <snip>

> > girl singers' to Alanis Morrisette, or The Presidents of the USA to
> Pearl
> > Jam. It's not that they don't have a certain amount of talent and
> craft,
> <snip>
>
> we're not gonna make it
> 'cause we don't have the time
> and we don't have the talent
> and we don't know how rhyme
> presidents of the usa, i forget the song title
>
> anybody who compares presidents of the usa to pearl jam has only
> heard them on the radio and is thinking of lump and peaches.
>
> of course that's just my opinion and i stand guilty of making
> judgment when i don't know pearl jam well.
>
> sean

Both are good bands IMHO The Pres. don't take themselves too seriously
but take their songs (mindless lyrics and all) seriously.

Pearl Jam is without question IMHO one of the very best bands performing
today
Their lyrics are excellent They are talented in every facet.
Comparing the 2 bands is ludicrous.

Any thoughts on BUSH (the band people!)
RUSH(the greatest band ever IMHO)
Ozzy?

Any fans of classic metal? Sabbath,Iron Maiden et al ?

on a completely different style anyone love Jethro Tull like I do ?

Turnin' the stereo up,

Jim

John Harris

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

At 07:12 PM 12/16/96 +1300, you wrote:

>>>bit of a fan of Celtic music. . .and Enya was in Clannad and on early
>>>recordings. Fyi tidbit. Steve Perry (Journey) also sang a duet with Maire
>>>Brennan on a Clannad disk. Great song.
>>>
>>>barb
>>
>>Did anybody else enjoy Braveheart despite the carnage? It was almost like
>>reading a good novel.
>>
>>Dale
>>

>Nope... I thought Mel Gibson was ridiculously old for the part, historically
>it was a little more than creative, and the storytelling was manipulative.
>But that's just me. I can't remember the last Hollywood movie I genuinely
>liked.
>
>Verdant
> I don't know what's gotten into me lately, I'm, a regular cuss, ain't
>I?... :} but really, a smiley one

Uli Niebergall

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

At 20:28 1996-12-16 -0800, you wrote:

>Uli Niebergall wrote:
>>
>> >Nope... I thought Mel Gibson was ridiculously old for the part, historically
>> >it was a little more than creative, and the storytelling was manipulative.
>> >But that's just me. I can't remember the last Hollywood movie I genuinely
>> >liked.
>> >
>> >Verdant
>> > I don't know what's gotten into me lately, I'm, a regular cuss, ain't
>> >I?... :} but really, a smiley one
>> >
>> Veronica,
>> Don't go changing, to try and please me
>> You never let me down before
>> Don't imagine you're too familiar
>> And I don't see you anymore
>> I'll take you just the way you are.
>>
>> Summarizing the country-lyrics-80s-being-a-cuss-threads: Billy, just another
>> fossil from those 80s, yes-yes-yes, the song is 70s, but Billy definitely
>> spells 80s to me.
>>
>> uli
>
>I've been noticing a lot ambiguity about decades around here. I guess
>starting the sixties in '67 through everybody off by a few years.
>
>Dale

Haha, Dale, to me the 60's started exactly in August 1972.

uli

John Harris

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96
Thought the 50's ended with the death of Kennedy. The 60's ended with
Altamont. The 70's ended with the election of Reagan. The 80's with - hell,
they may still be going on. Realize those dates and events are very
ethnocentrically American.

John

Verdant

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96
Well then, the 90's began when I boarded the plane for NZ... at least
for me. This sure don't feel like the 80's. :}

Verdant

Dale Kirby

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

>>>I've been noticing a lot ambiguity about decades around here. I guess
>>>starting the sixties in '67 through everybody off by a few years.
>>>
>>>Dale
>>>
>>Thought the 50's ended with the death of Kennedy. The 60's ended with
>>Altamont. The 70's ended with the election of Reagan. The 80's with - hell,
>>they may still be going on. Realize those dates and events are very
>>ethnocentrically American.
>>
>>John
>>
>On my behalf, the 50's ended with the wedding of my parents, the 60's ended
>with the end of primary school and almost my own end after a late-detected
>appendicitis, the 70's ended with the end of secondary school, and the 80's
>ended with the end of the Wall and the end of my first marriage. That's how
>egocentrically I see it.
>
>uli

Man, those Greenwich guys are mean about time. They should consult with us
before they start a new decade.

Dale

Uli Niebergall

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

Verdant

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

>>Nope... I thought Mel Gibson was ridiculously old for the part, historically
>>it was a little more than creative, and the storytelling was manipulative.
>>But that's just me. I can't remember the last Hollywood movie I genuinely
>>liked.
>>
>>Verdant
>> I don't know what's gotten into me lately, I'm, a regular cuss, ain't
>>I?... :} but really, a smiley one
>>
>Veronica,
>Don't go changing, to try and please me
>You never let me down before
>Don't imagine you're too familiar
>And I don't see you anymore
>I'll take you just the way you are.
>
>Summarizing the country-lyrics-80s-being-a-cuss-threads: Billy, just another
>fossil from those 80s, yes-yes-yes, the song is 70s, but Billy definitely
>spells 80s to me.
>
>uli

aw Uli, you know how to make me blush and drive all the orneriness clear away.

Verdant
feeling corny not ornery

Roseann Gabrys

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Uli Niebergall wrote:

> >Man, those Greenwich guys are mean about time. They should consult with us
> >before they start a new decade.
> >
> >Dale
> >

> Consult with you? Remember, you guys are always at least 6 hours behind in
> history.
>
> uli

And those who do not reckon with the past are forced to repeat it.
RePeteing Rosie

Uli Niebergall

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96
>the 80's ended with the election of Clinton

Well...that's exactly what I meant...

uli

Dylan Rickards

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

Uli Niebergall

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

JCBillings

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96
> Well, you're all behind me. I'm almost done with today and some of you are
> still working on yesterday...
>
> Verdant

Yesterday? I'm still working on last week.
jes

Uli Niebergall

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96
Now THAT I've done all of my life. It's a business never finished.

uli

Verdant

Dec 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/20/96

Verdant

Dec 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/20/96

>On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Uli Niebergall wrote:
>
>And those who do not reckon with the past are forced to repeat it.
>RePeteing Rosie

Is it like doing 4th grade over? Or actually, I think I'd like to do
17 over, or no, 19, 24, 33, 38... Um, do I get more time, is really the
question. I woulndn't mind repeating as long as I wasn't losing anything on
this end.

Verdant