TV Report for TUESDAY 5/25 (REPOST)

1 view

Likem

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
GRRRR, once again I'm not seeing this on my news server. Since I
won't be able to check later on, I'm reposting this. Please forgive
me if you got it twice (just delete one):

Hi Hi-

Here's my TV Report for Tuesday May 25, 1999. All times listed are
PACIFIC, so be sure to check local listings for the times in YOUR
area:

12:30 a.m. Tu-Sat Disney Channel "THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB" (:30)
(Most of these shows feature something of AFTI interest. Sometimes
they show "Hardy Boys" mysteries, featuring "Spin and Marty"'s Tim
Considine; sometimes they show "Spin and Marty" episodes and other
things of note. In any case, if you're up, or if you don't have
conflicts with other things you want to tape, take a gander at this
every night)

1:30 a.m. AMC "YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES" (1:55)
(Fans of older teens might enjoy this one, starring Nicholas Rowe and
Alan Cox)

2:45 a.m. Disney Channel "SAFETY PATROL" (1:35)
(I acutally MISSED this in the TV Guide the first time it was on, but
just a bit later, WHILE writing a TV Report, I saw a promo for it, and
it was obvious I HAD to list it and SEE it!! This is a 1998
Made-For-TV Movie, co-starring BUG HALL and PHILLIP VAN DYKE!! Based
solely on birthdates and the original 1998 air date, Bug would have
been about 12-13, and Phillip would have been about 13-14. There's
some speculation in the group that this may have been made at an
earlier date than thought, and that the young actors are even younger
than we think. STILL, I saw the promos for this, and I *DO* recommend
you take a look at it, if you haven't already!)

3:00 p.m. KTLA "THE DREAM MACHINE" (2:00)
(Starring role for Corey Haim in this 1991 film! Evan Richards at
20-ish is also in this)

4:45 a.m. Showtime "JOYRIDE" (1:35)
(Starring Tobey Maguire, and featuring Wilson Cruz, who played the
young gay teen on the tv show "My So-Called Life". Mark L 02 gave
this film a good review in an earlier post. :-) )

ALERT!!!!! ALERT!!!!! ALERT!!!!! ALERT!!!!!
6:00 a.m. Cinemax "THE STONE BOY" (1:35)
(A GREAT film!!! This 1984 film features a stunningly powerful
performance by JASON PRESSON as a boy who finds his own way to deal
with a family tragedy. Most people think that an actor has to be
verbal, noticeable, loud, demonstrative, etc., to be "acting," but
such is not the case. Jason Presson is FANTASTIC here, w/o saying
much of anything. He's captivating, powerful, and *deep* in this
movie, and I can't recommend his performance highly enough. Without
his being overtly emotional, we feel his pain and torment, just
because HE feels it. A *SUPERB* performance by Jason Presson in a
*SUPERB* movie. Philo D says, "One of my favorite films of all time."
*VERY HIGHLY* RECOMMENDED!!!!!)

6:40 a.m. The Movie Channel "SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET" (2:20)
(I never really had much interest in seeing this film. However, I was
flipping channels a couple of weeks ago, and I saw that one segment of
the film includes a young actor playing the Dalai Lama at age 8, and
another young actor playing the Dalai Lama at age 14!!! [Okay,
there's still ANOTHER young actor who plays the Dalai Lama at age 4,
but I didn't really think it necessary to mention that in a TEEN Idols
newsgroup. <g> ] Anyway, take a look at this film!)

7:00 a.m. AMC "BLACK BEAUTY" (1:55)
(It doesn't say so in the listing in TV Guide, but I'm sure this is
the lovely 1971 version, starring a 12-ish Mark Lester of the film
"Oliver!" Very much recommended!)

7:00 a.m. History Channel "SHAKA ZULU" (2:00)
(This is Part 2 of a highly-acclaimed mini-series that I had the good
fortune to see when it was first broadcast back in 1984. There are a
number of young actors in this, portraying both Shaka Zulu himself as
a young person, members of the tribe, Shaka's son[s?], etc. As I
said, this was highly acclaimed when it was first broadcast, and made
for mesmerizing television. I was riveted to it for the entire
series, not just the ones with T-I interest. This episode will repeat
today at 12 Noon, and the rest of the mini-series will be aired the
rest of this week, showing at 7:00 a.m. and 12 Noon Pacific time each
day through Friday. I don't know if any of you saw this before, but I
recommend it highly!!)

SYNDICATED (8:30 a.m. Ch.9 in L.A.) "POPULAR MECHANICS FOR KIDS"
(:30)
(Co-stars the fun, enthusiastic, and cute Tyler Kyte!!!! Find out
when it airs in your area [www.pm4kids.com/], usually over the
weekends, and then *DON'T MISS IT*!!)

8:30 a.m. TCM "THE JOURNEY" (2:05)
(This is a 1959 film, being shown now in letterbox format. In the
cast are Ron Howard at age 4-5, and Flip Mark at age 10-11. I'm not
familiar with this; has anyone seen it?)

9:30 a.m. HBO "SUMMER RENTAL" (1:30)
(1985 movie co-starring Joey Lawrence)

10:30 a.m. Cinemax "LAST ACTION HERO" (2:15)
(A first-time listing here! This film co-stars Austin O'Brien at age
11-12. This got trashed by reviewers, but everyone I know who saw it
enjoyed it. I liked it well enough to recommend it, though you
shouldn't expect great cinema. You CAN expect to be entertained,
though. My friend [and yours, too] Alasdair absolutely LOVES this
film, and loves Austin IN it)

12 Noon KTLA "LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE" (2:00) <----NOTE
(Wonderful but rarely-seen young actor RADAMES PERA is one of the
guest stars on this 2-Part story [2 episodes running back-to-back].
We recently saw Radames on an episode of "Hawaii Five-O," and now we
have another opportunity!!!)

12 Noon FX "THE SANDLOT" (2:00)
(This is a VERY, VERY good movie! I don't CARE that TV Guide only
gives it 2 stars. They are WRONG! This film actually got very good
reviews when it came out, so I don't know how TV Guide's compilators
came up w/ only 2 stars for it. Anyway, if you haven't seen this
movie, and you don't get FX, go rent it! It's worth your time. If it
will help motivate you, consider this: The film stars Thomas Guiry,
and co-stars a very handsome Mike Vitar, Chauncey Leopardi, Patrick
Renna, Marty York, Brandon Quintin Adams, Grant Gelt, Shane
Obedzinski, and Victor DiMattia. Get the point?)

12 Noon History Channel "SHAKA ZULU" (2:00)
(See 7:00 a.m. above)

12:30 p.m. E! Channel "BEHIND THE SCENES" (:30)
(Behind the scenes look at the new "Star Wars" movie. I'd guess that
there will be substantial screen time here of Jake Lloyd)

1:00 p.m. Showtime "GEORGE BALANCHINE'S 'THE NUTCRACKER'" (1:35)
(This full-length ballet film stars the enchanting and WONDERful
Macaulay Culkin! Boy, can that boy dance!! :)) One of the few times
I've ever bought a brand-new VHS tape off the shelf. I very much
recommend this. Yes, that's "VERY MUCH recommend"!!)

1:00 p.m. TNT "DREAM A LITTLE DREAM" (2:00)
(COREY HAIM!!!!!! Oh yeah, Corey Feldman is in this too. [Did I
mention that Corey Haim is in this?? In fact, he co-stars!])

2:30 p.m. Cinemax "DISTANT THUNDER" (1:55)
(Starring the wonderful, talented, and gorgeous Ralph Macchio)

ALERT!! ALERT!!
3:35 p.m. The Movie Channel "VALMONT" (2:20)
(A 16-17-year-old HENRY THOMAS co-stars! A FINE performance by a
TERRIFIC young actor! *Visual bonuses* here too!)

4:00 p.m. Comedy Central "DUTCH" (2:00)
(Enjoyable movie, though not as funny as it should be. Stars a 13-ish
Ethan Randall, who later screwed me up by changing his name to Ethan
Embry. ;-) He is very good in this, and a pleasure to watch! When I
previously listed this film, Maddog said that there are "two scenes
co-starring a foul-mouthed Will Nipper Estes." That in and of itself
is reason enough to see this film, though I understand that Comedy
Central has cut out the profanity)

4:30 p.m. Cinemax "JUST ONE OF THE GUYS" (1:40)
(I don't know why I like this movie as much as I do; it's one of those
inexplicable mysteries of the universe, I guess. It is about a high
school girl who dresses as a boy to enter a journalism contest. Her
brother is played very nicely by Billy Jayne, AKA: BILLY JACOBY, at
about age 15. Also in the cast are William Zabka and Leigh McCloskey.
Some *VERY* nice visuals in this, as well. If you haven't seen this,
you should)

5:00 p.m. Bravo (Sucks) "BRIGHTON BEACH MEMOIRS" (2:30)
(Stars older teen Jonathan Silverman. Good movie, but Bravo will
probably ruin it with incessant commercials. Go rent this film, and
watch it uninterrupted and unedited)

DESPITE WHAT SOME THINK, THIS IS A SAD DAY BECAUSE OF THIS:
8:00 p.m. ABC "HOME IMPROVEMENT" (1:30) <-----NOTE TIME!!
(I know that this show has been the subject of GREAT controversy the
past few months. I also know that it's been one of my favorite shows
for the past 8 years. Whether or not the 3 young co-stars appeared on
the show each week, I almost always found the shows funny,
well-written, and entertaining. In fact, I've often said this is one
of the most consistently well-written comedies on TV. It's a damned
shame that JTT won't be part of the final episode, but we WILL get to
see him in clips and outtakes from past shows. And of course, we'll
be seeing Zachery Ty Bryan and Taran [Noah] Smith in the finale. I
marked this in my TV Guide with the highest possible mark I can give
any show or movie: T-AAC [Tape At All Costs]; that means that it gets
priority taping on my best VCR over anything else on TV that day; I
expect to keep it forever. Luckily, I still have 2 working VCRs, so I
won't miss the other important show on today at 8:00 p.m. I consider
this a *DON'T MISS*)

8:00 p.m. NBC "3rd ROCK FROM THE SUN" (1:00) <----NOTE LONGER TIME
(This is the season-ending episode for this excellent comedy. Of
course, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is in this, and I'm sure he'll have a lot
of screen time tonight!!)

8:00 p.m. A&E "LAW & ORDER" (1:00)
(TV Guide's description: "A nun is accused of molesting a teen
addict." I have no idea who plays the teen)

9:00 p.m. HBO-Plus (Formerly HBO2) "ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING"
(1:45)
(Co-stars Keith Coogan and Anthony Rapp, BOTH WORTH SEEING! I LOVE
Anthony's scenes in the fraternity party the kids end up in!)

RETRO LISTING FOR WaLa AND OTHER RS FANS:
9:00 p.m. Fox Family Channel "RETURN TO LONESOME DOVE" (2:00)
(Ricky [It's Okay to Call Me That] Shroder is in this 1993
mini-series. This is the conclusion)

9:00 p.m. Nickelodeon "THE BRADY BUNCH" (:30)
(GREAT episode in which Peter's voice starts changing just as the kids
enter a singing contest! This is one of the classic episodes, and as
a bonus, it features Peter, played by Christopher Knight!)

9:00 p.m. The Movie Channel "LAST ACTION HERO" (2:15)
(See 10:30 a.m. on Cinemax above)

9:00 p.m. "BEHIND THE MUSIC" (1:00)
(This one is a profile of probably the most popular Teen Idol of all
time, Leif Garrett! Yes, he looks not-so-good now, but there are tons
of still and clips of him at his height of popularity, in the mid-late
70s. He was awesome then, had perhaps the greatest head of hair in
history, and dominated his time totally. If you don't believe me,
check out the volume of material from those days, where he appeared on
virtually every T-I magazine cover, month-after-month,
year-after-year. He was special, and deserves whatever attention we
care to devote to him. Tape this, and keep it)

11:05 p.m. Showtime "EDEN" (1:50)
(I think I've seen this before, but I'm not sure. Here's what TV
Guide says about this: "A frustrated professor's wife...befriends a
radical, introspective student [Sean Patrick Flannery] at a boys
school in 1960s New England." Has anyone else seen this? Are there
young actors of interest in this (I can't remember)? IMDb doesn't
list much of the cast. Help, anyone?)

11:15 p.m. The Movie Channel "SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET" (2:20)
(See 6:40 a.m. above)

11:30 p.m. Bravo (Sucks) "BRIGHTON BEACH MEMOIRS" (2:30)
(See 5:00 p.m. above)

Not a bad day, wouldn't you say? (That rhymed!) Please add in!!

Happy Viewing!

Likem

Tigrrr

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

Add one more for you night owls (or early birds as the case may be). MOMAX
is airing "TEX" at 3:00 AM Pacific. This is a bad boy role for Matt Dillon
and was made in 1982, a year before "The Outsiders".

Tigrrr

Mark L 02

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
On 24 May 1999 11:41:28 PDT, g...@geocities.com (Likem) wrote:

>Here's my TV Report for Tuesday May 25, 1999.

And a few more...

7:00AM (Eastern), ABC, Good Morning America. Tim Allen and Patricia
Richardson are guests. Of course they'll have something to say about
the HI boys, and perhaps they'll shed some light on the story about
the missing Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

9:00AM, USA, Jeff Foxworthy. The Halloween show with a spotlight on
Haley Joel Osment and Jonathan Lipnicki.

Syndicated, check your listings, Live with Regis and Kathie Lee. TI
alumni Jordan Knight, former NKOTB star, now trying to climb back on
the charts with a solo career.

Syndicated, check your listings, Donnie and Marie. Jake Lloyd is a
guest today.

4:00PM, Starz, "Last Action Hero." Austin O'Brien and Ah-nold.

6:00PM, TNT, E.R. Kevin Connolly might have lost his full-time gig on
Unhappily Every After this weekend, but tonight you get to see him
guest star as a high school wrestler who is starving himself.

9:00PM, USA, "Sudden Death." Ross Malinger is in the crowd at a
hockey game where the Vice President is seized by terrorists. But
you'll be watching the sudden death overtime episode of Home
Improvement, won't you?

12:05AM Early Wednesday, ABC, Politically Incorrect. Sorry Likem, if
I'm stealing any thunder by sneaking this one on early, but it's worth
an early mention (and it's still gonna be Tuesday in the Central time
zone!) The panel includes Will Friedle, Ben Savage, Rider Strong, and
Danielle Fishel of Boy Meets World fame! I wonder what their politics
will shape up to be??

Mark
mar...@aol.com

Likem

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
On Mon, 24 May 1999 23:09:41 GMT, mar...@aol.com (Mark L 02) wrote:

>12:05AM Early Wednesday, ABC, Politically Incorrect. Sorry Likem, if
>I'm stealing any thunder by sneaking this one on early, but it's worth
>an early mention (and it's still gonna be Tuesday in the Central time
>zone!) The panel includes Will Friedle, Ben Savage, Rider Strong, and
>Danielle Fishel of Boy Meets World fame! I wonder what their politics
>will shape up to be??

You know, Mark, I came --->||<--- THIS close to doing an early listing
for that, but for some reason decided not to.

As to their politics, I have a couple of thoughts:

First, I have no clue about Wil Friedle's or Danielle Fishel's
politics. Second, FRED Savage has been on PI before, and has come
across as fairly conservative, but not rabidly so as Ricky Schroder
has seemed to.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ben is also on the conservative side.
HOWEVER, I know that Ben was seen in a local West Hollywood restaurant
a couple months ago greeting and hugging people; it's not the kind of
place a rabid conservative would likely go.

As to Rider Strong, considering his family background, and a few
things I've heard or read him saying, I'd bet that he's a left-wing
liberal (maybe that's why I like him so much <G> ).

We shall see.

Likem

Tailsman

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99

Likem wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 1999 23:09:41 GMT, mar...@aol.com (Mark L 02) wrote:
>

> >12:05AM Early Wednesday, ABC, Politically Incorrect. Sorry Likem, if
> >I'm stealing any thunder by sneaking this one on early, but it's worth
> >an early mention (and it's still gonna be Tuesday in the Central time
> >zone!) The panel includes Will Friedle, Ben Savage, Rider Strong, and
> >Danielle Fishel of Boy Meets World fame! I wonder what their politics
> >will shape up to be??
> >

> You know, Mark, I came --->||<--- THIS close to doing an early listing
> for that, but for some reason decided not to.
>
> As to their politics, I have a couple of thoughts:
>
> First, I have no clue about Wil Friedle's or Danielle Fishel's
> politics. Second, FRED Savage has been on PI before, and has come
> across as fairly conservative, but not rabidly so as Ricky Schroder
> has seemed to.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if Ben is also on the conservative side.
> HOWEVER, I know that Ben was seen in a local West Hollywood restaurant
> a couple months ago greeting and hugging people; it's not the kind of
> place a rabid conservative would likely go.

If Ben is conservative he's my favorite kind of conservative. The last time
Ben was on PI they were discussing the Calvin Klein Kid's underwear ads,
Ben and Kid (the guy from Kid n PLay I wish I could remember his name) were
wearing Calvin Klein underwear and showed off the waist bands in
support.... and solidarity.

--Gary

Likem

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
On Tue, 25 May 1999 13:22:29 -0700, Tailsman <tail...@sprintmail.com>
wrote:

>Likem wrote:
>

>> It wouldn't surprise me if Ben is also on the conservative side.
>> HOWEVER, I know that Ben was seen in a local West Hollywood restaurant
>> a couple months ago greeting and hugging people; it's not the kind of
>> place a rabid conservative would likely go.
>>

>If Ben is conservative he's my favorite kind of conservative. The last time
>Ben was on PI they were discussing the Calvin Klein Kid's underwear ads,
>Ben and Kid (the guy from Kid n PLay I wish I could remember his name) were
>wearing Calvin Klein underwear and showed off the waist bands in
>support.... and solidarity.

Kewl. Maybe he's a liberal! Maybe Rider has influenced Ben to veer
away from any residual family conservatism! :)

Likem