TV Report for WEDNESDAY 9/15 (Deja)

g...@geocities.com

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
hi Hi HI!

Here's my TV Report for Wednesday September 15, 1999. All times listed
are PACIFIC, so be SURE to check local lisitings for the times in YOUR
area:

(PLEASE SEE MY REPORT FROM MONDAY OF THIS WEEK FOR LISTINGS AND
DETAILS ABOUT SHOWS THAT AIR ON A DAILY BASIS)

OOPS! I FORGOT THIS YESTERDAY:
12:30 a.m. (Tues-Sat) Disney Channel "MICKEY MOUSE CLUB" (:30)
(The original series! Lots of good stuff, including episodes of "Spin
and Marty" and "The Hardy Boys Mysteries")

ALERT!!!
1:00 a.m. A&E "HOPE AND GLORY" (2:00)
(One of the better films I've EVER seen. A truly *GREAT* film,
deserving of the 4-stars it got in TV Guide, and of every other
accolade that's been tossed it's way. This is the story of a boy's
experiences in England during the Blitz of WWII. The boy is played
AMAZINGLY WELL by SEBASTIAN RICE EDWARDS. Of course, boys have
friends who are boys, so there are other young actors in this. Again,
this is a *GREAT* film, and in this case it's not cliché to say so!!)

2:00 a.m. Comedy Central "AUTHOR! AUTHOR!" (2:00)
(This film is about a guy whose wife leaves him with 3 or 4 kids; he
also has his own son, who is I would guess about 13-14. I took a look
at this the other day, to see if I could figure out who plays the
kids. I believe that ERIC GURRY plays the 13-14 y.o. This is a
"comedy-drama," and has it's moments)

6:30 a.m. Showtime "RIGHT CONNECTIONS" (1:40)
(BRIAN HART and sisters in a movie about middle class white kids who
compete in a hip-hop contest. Doubtless one of the more silly movies
ever made, but Brian is very cute, and fun to watch)

6:45 a.m. AMC "ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM" (2:15)
(Excellent non-musical version of the classic story. In this 1946
version, the son of Anna is played by RICHARD LYON, the Prince
[younger] is played by MICKEY ROTH, and the Prince [older] is played
by TITO RENALDO. Of course, there are dozens of other young actors in
the background!)

ALERT!
8:15 a.m. Showtime "BIG & HAIRY" (1:35)
(NO, this is NOT a porno film! On 11/1/98 I posted about a promo I
had seen for this Showtime Original film. Here's what I said then:
"The film features a blond-haired boy of about 13, who plays on a
basketball team with boys of the same age. [Scenes look a like the
team Kevin Zegers plays on in the first Air Bud film, but maybe a year
older.] This boy's hair is long-ish (shoulder length), just as I
think looks best." Okay, well now I know that the boy is played by
ROBERT BURKE. The picture link I used to have, from Showtime, no
longer works. There are no pictures on Star Galaxy OR Star Oasis
either, unfortunately. :-(
Anyway, I eventually saw this movie, and here's what I said about it
then: "*ADDENDUM*: I saw the film a couple of weeks ago, as I taped
it. The boy is actually a bit younger than I thought originally; he's
about 12. The basketball team is comprised of junior high-aged kids,
about 12-14 years old. This doesn't have anywhere near the emotional
depth of 'Air Bud,' but it's a nice enough story. Even if it's not
going to win any awards, it's star, ROBERT BURKE, is sure a winner,
and I hope we'll get to see a lot more of him in the future! Bottom
line, I'm recommending you see this!" So SEE it, already!)

8:55 a.m. The Movie Channel "SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET" (2:20)
(I never really had much interest in seeing this film. However, I was
flipping channels a couple of months ago, and I saw that one segment of
the film includes a young actor playing the Dalai Lama at age 8, and
another young actor playing the Dalai Lama at age 14!!! [Okay,
there's still ANOTHER young actor who plays the Dalai Lama at age 4,
but I didn't really think it necessary to mention that in a TEEN Idols
newsgroup. <g> ] Anyway, take a look at this film!)

9:30 a.m. Bravo (Sucks) "TIME BANDITS" (2:30)
(This fun but WAY-too-long 1981 film stars CRAIG WARNOCK as the
11-year-old main character. I enjoyed this movie, but would have
liked it better if it were shorter, and had a bit of a quicker pace.
Don't forget, too, that Bravo, which sucks [have I mentioned that
before?], will likely interrupt the film inCESsantly for commercials,
so if you really want to see this film intact, go rent it!)

10:00 a.m. Comedy Central "AUTHOR! AUTHOR!" (2:00)
(See 2:00 a.m. above)

10:00 a.m. Showtime "14 UP IN AMERICA" (1:40)
(I haven't seen this, though I recently saw that I have taped it. :-)
Anyway, here's what Mark had to say about this awhile back: "Another
very interesting movie is coming up this weekend [that was awhile
back]. If you've ever seen the British series '7 Up,' '14 Up,' '21
Up,' '28 Up,' or '35 Up,' you'll like this one. The series is a
lifelong project, interviewing a group of people at 7 year intervals
throughout their lives. The Brits may be up to '42 Up' by now, I'm
not sure. It's fascinating to watch the young kids grow through
teenage years, then see how their youthful dreams either work out,
change, or fail in adulthood.
"Anyway, there's a similar project going on in America now, and
[this is] the most recent installment, '14 Up in America.'" Thanks,
Mark!)

10:15 a.m. HBO-Plus "TWILIGHT ZONE--THE MOVIE" (1:45)
(A movie with some GREAT visual pleasures, as well as interesting
stories! Co-stars SCOTT NEMES, EVAN RICHARDS, and CHRISTOPHER
EISENMANN, and *stars* JEREMY LICHT in a terrific performance as a
sweet but evil boy!)

11:45 a.m. Showtime "THE SECRET KINGDOM" (1:30)
(This is a 1998 direct-to-video film. According to TV Guide: "While
rummaging behind the kitchen sink, a child stumbles upon a tiny city,
and requires his siblings' help to bring peace among the miniature
civilizations." There are actually TWO boys in this film. One is
BILLY O'SULLIVAN, and the other is ANDREW DUCOTE, the younger boy in
"Dave's World," here about 11-12. Philo D. says: "A routine kiddie
movie. Made for video. Andrew Ducote is there, so real fans may want
to yawn through the story....If you like this one [hard to believe...]
there is another one just like it [and maybe even next to it on the
video shelf] called THE SHRUNKEN CITY with Michael Malota." Thanks
for the info, Philo!)

12 Noon VH1 "TEEN IDOLS VIDEO COLLECTION II" (1:00)
(Music videos featuring Teen Idols!!! One of the earliest Teen-Idols of
the modern era, TONY DeFRANCO of the DeFranco family singing group, is
featured in this! Don't miss it)

ALERT!!!!????????
1:00 p.m. (Mon-Fri) CBS "AS THE WORLD TURNS" (1:00)
(According to an e-mail I got from a kind soul, JOSEPH CROSS's voice
was on the show on Friday August 20, in a phone call. This COULD
signal his impending return to the show!! I *DO* know that he went
into New York to film, on August 2nd; we are expecting that his father
will alert the Joseph Cross Fan Club to Joseph's actual appearance[s],
but it/they MUST be coming soon!! JUST IN CASE, I think it's time to
start taping this every day again!)

1:30 p.m. KTLA "FULL HOUSE" (:30)
(Young actor MIKO HUGHES is the guest-star in this episode. What was he
here, about 3 years old? ;-) )

2:30 p.m. HBO "GATTACA" (1:50)
(This film stars a [much] older ETHAN HAWKE, BUT... the cast also
includes young actors MASON GAMBLE, VINCENT NIELSON, CHAD CHRIST, and
WILLIAM LEE SCOTT, as younger versions of some of the adult
characters)

4:00 p.m. PAX TV "THE HOGAN FAMILY" (:30)
(TV Guide's description: "Mark turns into a mini-James Dean." Mark is,
of course, played by JEREMY LICHT! Also in this are DANNY PONCE and
JASON BATEMAN)

4:00 p.m. Comedy Central "PCU" (2:00)
(One of my entries for "Worst Film with T-I Appeal," this is watchable
JUST for the awesomely cute presense of CHRIS YOUNG!!!)

OOPS, I FORGOT AGAIN:
4:00 p.m. (Mon-Fri) USA "BAYWATCH" (1:00)
(For the first few seasons, "Hobie" was played by young actor BRANDON
CALL!! From that point on, he was played by JEREMY JACKSON!!! Though
Hobie wasn't in nearly as much of the show as I would personally have
liked, he WAS in it, and it was a GREAT pleasure to see him when he
was. Also, some GREAT, WONDERFUL guest appearances have taken place
over the years, including CHANCE MICHAEL CORBITT, MIKO HUGHES, CAMERON
FINLEY, a boy who is dying of cancer [actor's name unknown at the
moment], and my FAVORITE, a boy who's ashamed of his father, who is a
dwarf; the boy was played by young actor NICHOLAS BANKO. He was GREAT
in this show!!!] Recommended!)

*STILL* WAITING FOR HELP FROM YOU:
4:15 p.m. The Movie Channel "NATIONAL LAMPOON'S DAD'S WEEK OFF"
(1:40)
(This is a 1997 TV Movie. I think there are young actors in this, but
frankly I don't recognize any of their names at IMDb. Help, anyone?)

4:30 p.m. (Mon-Thurs) Disney Channel "READY OR NOT" (:30)
(According to Nomad, this is VERY much worth seeing! He said it's a
Canadian show from 1993-96, and co-stars brothers NOAH PLENER and
BENJAMIN PLENER, age unknown [to me]. Other young actors of note have
appeared in the show, according to Nomad. Thanks for the info!!)

4:30 p.m. Showtime "RIGHT CONNECTIONS" (1:40)
(See 6:30 a.m. above)

OOPS STILL AGAIN!
SYNDICATED (5:00 p.m. Ch. 11 in L.A.) "UNHAPPILY EVER AFTER" (:30)
(Hmmm. Well, I had noticed that this show was now airing in syndication
at 11:30 p.m. here in L.A. But I seem to have MISSED the fact that
episodes are also airing at THIS time, 5:00 p.m. Yes, that means TWO
episodes each and every day. I've confirmed, too, through episode
descriptions, that Ch. 11 is showing two DIFFERENT episodes a day.
Anyway, this series co-stars young actors JUSTIN BERFIELD and KEVIN
CONNOLLY)

5:00 p.m. Nickelodeon "ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK?" (:30)
(This is a really interesting episode. It's about a boy and his sister,
new to town, who are welcomed by local kids in a most unusual way. They
end up spending a fair amount of time in the cemetary. RECOMMENDED!!!)

ONE OF THOSE RARE TIMES THAT IMDb IS "RIGHTER" THAN TV GUIDE:
7:00 p.m. Disney Channel "P.U.N.K.S." (1:45)
(Disney has been promoting this film as a premier, and until a week or
so ago, I certainly had never heard of it before. TV Guide lists it
as a 1999 Made-for-Cable film, but IMDb lists it's date as 1998.
Further, IMDb has a review of it written in December of 1998, so
obviously the reviewer got to see it by renting it, as you folks have
pointed out. The stars are TIM REDWINE at about 13, and BRANDON
BAKER, 11-12-ish, whom we recently enjoyed in "Johnny Tsunami," and
currently enjoy in NBC's "One World" [see 8:30 a.m. or 9:00 a.m.
Saturdays on NBC]. The cast LOOKS great, but our friends here tell us
it's not that great. Watchable, visually appealing, but not very good.
At least that's what the current sentiment that I'm aware of says. I
haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I will soon, I hope)

8:00 p.m. Comedy Central "FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF" (2:30)
(Fun and very popular film about a high school student cutting school
and getting the best of the principal who's after him. Stars a much
younger MATTHEW BRODERICK)

9:00 p.m. FX "THE X-FILES" (1:00)
(TV Guide's description says: "Two teens recount an alien abduction."
I have no idea who the actors are, their gender[s], their age[s], or
anything else about them, since I'm an infrequent viewer of the show)

ALERT!!
10:00 p.m. NBC "LAW & ORDER" (1:00)
(A boy is traumatized by witnessing a murder. The boy is played by
CAMERON BOWEN. This is Part 2 of a 2-Part storyline. Part 1 aired last
Wednesday night at this time. I watched it, and I'd guess that Cameron
was in the vicinity of 8. He's a cute kid, and does a good job with
some difficult emotional "stuff" in this story)

10:30 p.m. Disney Channel "TRADING MOM" (1:30)
(I can't seem to decide if I like this film or not. Do you folks like
it? The movie stars AARON MICHAEL METCHIK, and his brother ASHER
METCHIK. I guess it's worth seeing for them, though. If you'd like to
see what Aaron looks like in this movie before you decide to watch it,
go to http://www.stargalaxy.com/img_page/IG/0/1/5/5/index.html
Then, click on "Trading Mom" pictures, page 1. That will probably
convince you to watch this film whether you LIKE it or not <g> )

10:30 p.m. VH1 "BEFORE THEY WERE ROCK STARS" (:30)
(Included in this episode is Alanis Morissette. Before she was a rock
star, she was one of the kids on "You Can't Do That On Television."
There will, I'd guess, be clips/stills from the show, which include some
of the young actors from the show, like Alasdair Gillis and/or Adam
Reid)

10:45 p.m. The Movie Channel "THE FIXER" (1:50)
(Until I listed this awhile back, I had never heard of this 1998
Made-for-Cable film. The film co-stars young actor JOHN WHITE as the
son of the lead, John Voight!! John White can also be seen each
weekend on "The Adventures of Shirley Holmes," and was also seen as
the star of "The Legend of Gatorface," a movie I hope to list for you
sometime! ONE WARNING: There is a scene in this film of John Voight's
character having sex; it's one of the more revolting things I've seen
in a long time. Skip that scene if you have to, but DO enjoy John
White's presence!)

SYNDICATED (11:30 p.m. Ch. 11 in L.A.) "UNHAPPILY EVER AFTER" (:30)
(See 5:00 p.m. above)

11:45 p.m. Showtime "BEGGARS AND CHOOSERS" (:50)
(I haven't seen him much, but supposedly KAJ-ERIK ERIKSEN is in this
sometimes, in a supporting role as the late teen son of one of the major
characters)

And that, my friends, is all. Please add stuff, add your answers, add
your opinions, comments, and reviews, and add YOURSELF into the
"discussion"!!

Happy Viewing!

Likem

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/