[TGWTG] The Nostalgia Critic Looks at Saiilor Moon . . .

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 8, 2013, 2:04:12 AM8/8/13

Travoltron

Aug 12, 2013, 1:49:38 AM8/12/13
I've only seen a handful of episodes of Sailor Moon. Were the girls
really sexually objectified like he says? Or is it the usual hysterical
overreaction people seem to succumb to with regards to anime and Japan?

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Aug 12, 2013, 7:17:27 AM8/12/13
If you see long, long legs with skirts barely covering the virtal areas
as "objectified", then yes, they were.

They were not, however, generally subject to the usual exposure, views
upskirt or down-blouse, etc., as in many anime.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Travoltron

Aug 12, 2013, 12:41:36 PM8/12/13
On 8/12/2013 4:17 AM, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> On 8/12/13 1:49 AM, Travoltron wrote:
>> I've only seen a handful of episodes of Sailor Moon. Were the girls
>> really sexually objectified like he says? Or is it the usual hysterical
>> overreaction people seem to succumb to with regards to anime and Japan?
>
> If you see long, long legs with skirts barely covering the virtal
> areas as "objectified", then yes, they were.

I personally do not. Sure, men see that and think one thing, but girls
see that and see something else. I know Japanese girls often try to push
the boundaries of their school's minimum skirt length.

David Johnston

Aug 12, 2013, 1:23:43 PM8/12/13
On 8/11/2013 11:49 PM, Travoltron wrote:
> I've only seen a handful of episodes of Sailor Moon. Were the girls
> really sexually objectified like he says?

Only as much as he showed in the transformation sequences and resulting
costumes.

Bobbie Sellers

Aug 12, 2013, 3:44:35 PM8/12/13
So do private including Catholic parochial school girls here in the
USA. And the skirts are according to my ancient standards too short to
start with. But the Sailor Senshi costumes are superhero
costumes and those are always outside the limits of everyday wear.
It helps to set them apart from the people they are protecting and often
those whom they are defending against. The male superhero costumes were
taken from the vaudeville and circus strong men in the late 19th and
early 20th Century, the female costumes from the acrobats and flyers and
showgirls of the same period originally. The artists were drawing
directly on the iconography of the time. I get this from reading the
recent dual biography of the creators of the Man of Steel, "Super Boys".

bliss

Bobbie Sellers

Aug 12, 2013, 3:59:24 PM8/12/13
On 08/12/2013 04:17 AM, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> On 8/12/13 1:49 AM, Travoltron wrote:
>> I've only seen a handful of episodes of Sailor Moon. Were the girls
>> really sexually objectified like he says? Or is it the usual hysterical
>> overreaction people seem to succumb to with regards to anime and Japan?
>
> If you see long, long legs with skirts barely covering the virtal
> areas as "objectified", then yes, they were.
>
> They were not, however, generally subject to the usual exposure,
> views upskirt or down-blouse, etc., as in many anime.

Well I found the series erotically sterile which may say something
about me but also about those who believe it to be sexual
objectifying. People who are looking for erotic stimulation tend
to find it in the most innocuous stories and shows. So the Hentai
is all in the mind of the prudes.

Now I am over 60 years removed from teenage years when
anything would be erotically stimulating but I still think that people
will find nearly anything erotic especially if they feel it is
forbidden. Those who are ashamed of the stimulation they feel will
blame the medium by which they were aroused. You know that "Huckleberry
Finn" the Mark Twain novel was denounced in its time as obscene, I hope.

bliss

Galen

Aug 12, 2013, 4:27:37 PM8/12/13
"Late in November of that year a bloodcurdling discovery was made in
the New York publishing house. Some playful engraver had altered one
of the plates, thereby turning an innocent illustration on Page 283
into an indecent picture, and this appeared in 30,000 copies of the
book in the plant; production had to be stopped while a new plate was
prepared. "The offending pages were snipped from bound copies and a
new one was pasted on the stubs. In unbound copies several pages, one
containing the picture in its repaired state, was inserted."

"But he notes," the University of California Press asserts, "that
Twain, Webster and famed author William Dean Howells, a friend of
Twain's all saw the proofs of the defective book (one copy of which
still exists) but didn't notice the obscene alteration. Salesmen's
copies, some 250 of them, were also sent out before the discovery of
the prank - at least one of them exists also, and any further copies
discovered would bring a high price.

"Although Twain was himself fond of bawdy wit, he had carefully kept
all ribaldry out of his printed works. Blair says, 'One would like to
have a record of the profanity inspired by the revelation.' "

Galen

Aug 12, 2013, 4:29:12 PM8/12/13
On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 16:27:37 -0400, Galen <Galen> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:59:24 -0700, Bobbie Sellers
><bliss-...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>>> If you see long, long legs with skirts barely covering the virtal
>>> areas as "objectified", then yes, they were.
>>>
>>> They were not, however, generally subject to the usual exposure,
>>> views upskirt or down-blouse, etc., as in many anime.
>>>

>> Well I found the series erotically sterile which may say something
>>about me but also about those who believe it to be sexual
>>objectifying. People who are looking for erotic stimulation tend
>>to find it in the most innocuous stories and shows. So the Hentai
>>is all in the mind of the prudes.
>>
>> Now I am over 60 years removed from teenage years when
>>anything would be erotically stimulating but I still think that people
>>will find nearly anything erotic especially if they feel it is
>>forbidden. Those who are ashamed of the stimulation they feel will
>>blame the medium by which they were aroused. You know that "Huckleberry
>>Finn" the Mark Twain novel was denounced in its time as obscene, I hope.
http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_640x430/public/uncle-silas_5.jpg
pic related. NSFW.