Hello (Disc)world

Andrew Irish

Feb 28, 2001, 5:57:13 AM2/28/01
Hello

Just introducing myself -> I'm a computer science student who is a Terry
Pratchett fan.

I've read nine of his books so far, but I can't remember all of their
titles at the moment so I won't bother listing them.

Just thought I ought to let you guys know I've been reading the group for
a few days.

Oh, well,

HAVE FUN

Andrew

Steve Hurley

Feb 28, 2001, 7:22:39 AM2/28/01

"Andrew Irish" <agi...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Hello
>
> Just introducing myself -> I'm a computer science student who is a Terry
> Pratchett fan.

Pleased to meet you.

> I've read nine of his books so far, but I can't remember all of their
> titles at the moment so I won't bother listing them.

I'd keep that quiet if I were you; everyone else on this newsgroup has the
entire collection in first edition hardback.
If you list the books you've read, the others on here will quote
relentlessly from the ones you haven't, in an attempt to make you look
stupid.

> Just thought I ought to let you guys know I've been reading the group for
> a few days.

I'd advise you to go away until you have at least one big floppy hat and can
speak fluent Klatchian.

OK, only joking...

...The hat's optional.

Richard Bos

Feb 28, 2001, 8:31:40 AM2/28/01
"Steve Hurley" <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> "Andrew Irish" <agi...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > Just introducing myself -> I'm a computer science student who is a Terry
> > Pratchett fan.
>
> Pleased to meet you.

Meet Too.

> > I've read nine of his books so far, but I can't remember all of their
> > titles at the moment so I won't bother listing them.
>
> I'd keep that quiet if I were you; everyone else on this newsgroup has the
> entire collection in first edition hardback.

Do they? Gosh, I wonder where I put them...

Seriously, though, that would be a very pretty collection. Those first
edition TCOM's are rare.

Richard

Spooky

Feb 28, 2001, 9:12:41 AM2/28/01

"Richard Bos" <in...@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote in message

Howdy, Andrew.

<points> cat, chair, chocolate, bananana.
Feel free to do assorted things with all or any of them.
That log you are about to sit on is Sweetheart, the chocolate
minder. Please don't try painting with body choc - crocs
don't like it. ;o)
As for first edition copies - I think many on here are either students
and so perpetually hard up or have an arrangement with a financial
society in the form of a mortgage :o(
I do happen to have TCOM US Edition though :o)

--
Spooky :o)
"Come, Mister tallyman, tally me bananana"

Steve Hurley

Feb 28, 2001, 10:28:31 AM2/28/01

"Spooky" <laptop...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> <points> cat, chair, chocolate, bananana.
> Feel free to do assorted things with all or any of them.
> That log you are about to sit on is Sweetheart, the chocolate
> minder. Please don't try painting with body choc - crocs
> don't like it. ;o)

This group is like the "care in the community" of Usenet.:-(

goblin

Feb 28, 2001, 10:57:04 AM2/28/01
In article <zO8n6.556$x81....@news2.cableinet.net>, "Steve Hurley"
<hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

dum-de-dum

if you don't like it, the door (and alt.pointless.insults) is
thataway -------------------------->

HTH HAND
--
goblin
AFPianced to Andrew, April's AFPvalentine

gabg14078

Feb 28, 2001, 10:58:10 AM2/28/01

"Andrew Irish" <agi...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message

Hello World? As a first thing to say?
He's a computer science student alright.

Spooky

Feb 28, 2001, 11:21:24 AM2/28/01

"goblin" <goblin@*helpfulelf*.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <zO8n6.556$x81....@news2.cableinet.net>, "Steve Hurley"
> <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > "Spooky" <laptop...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > > <points> cat, chair, chocolate, bananana.
> > > Feel free to do assorted things with all or any of them.
> > > That log you are about to sit on is Sweetheart, the chocolate
> > > minder. Please don't try painting with body choc - crocs
> > > don't like it. ;o)
> >
> > This group is like the "care in the community" of Usenet.:-(
>
> dum-de-dum
>
> if you don't like it, the door (and alt.pointless.insults) is
> thataway -------------------------->

Aaah, we don't take any notice of Steve the Silk.
He's on chocolate rations because he sulks.
Here, Steve, have my last Rollo . . .

Spooky
The 250lb Bunnywunny with teeth

Andrew West

Feb 28, 2001, 11:48:59 AM2/28/01
Hi ya,
I've beem sculking around reading this group for a while without posting
any messages. So I thought I might as well introduce myself so you all know
who the bloke hiding in the shadows has been.

Unlike the other Andrew, I've read pretty much all of Mr P's books, and
recently convinced a Pratchett virgin to read The Unadulterated Cat which
luckly I managed to find in the local library. It was hiding in the
non-fiction which I found a little strange, but thats Pratchett for you.

Anyway I really should be working at the moment, so I better go and fiddle
with something that looks complicated, lets hope I don't break it.

Bye.

Andrew West

Steve Hurley

Feb 28, 2001, 11:53:57 AM2/28/01

> Aaah, we don't take any notice of Steve the Silk.

So I see. Is that the royal "we"?

> He's on chocolate rations because he sulks.

You've lost me there. Although I am partial to chocolate... Hang on... Who's
this?

> Here, Steve, have my last Rollo . . .

Cheers Spook; my favourite.

Spooky

Feb 28, 2001, 12:05:23 PM2/28/01

"Andrew West" <c98...@dmu.ac.uk> wrote in message

Hiya Andrew,
Velcum to afp - where Pratchettism is alive and kickin'.
It's even a topic of discussion when we have run out of banananas :o)
Here's the cat, abuse the chair, stroke the Twiglets and smear on some
chocolate.
Have fun :o) but don't break it . . .

Steve Hurley

Feb 28, 2001, 12:00:12 PM2/28/01

"goblin" <goblin@*helpfulelf*.co.uk> wrote in message > if you don't like

it, the door (and alt.pointless.insults) is
> thataway -------------------------->

Glad you could make it Gobby. Better late than never.

Sylvain Chambon

Feb 28, 2001, 12:18:40 PM2/28/01
In article <wdan6.4045$sT1.8...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
Spooky wrote:

<snip all to sig>

>Spooky
>The 250lb Bunnywunny with teeth

Er... Do you know many bunnywunnies without teeth? In my experience,
they do have some, which they use to gnaw on just about everything
(bits of wood, tapestry, carpets, doors, power cables[1], their
owner's foot, ...)

Of course, it might be different with 250lb ones. I must admit I
don't know that many of those :-)

Sylvain.

[1] Not the one in Nebraska. The ones on the floor, connecting the
computer to the 220V.

--
Sylvain Chambon - gou...@lepcf.org
http://lepcf.org

Spooky

Feb 28, 2001, 12:13:53 PM2/28/01

"Steve Hurley" <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Oh, Steve :o(
And there's me thinking the shoulder massage was working.

Spooky

Feb 28, 2001, 12:24:01 PM2/28/01

"Sylvain Chambon" <sgpch...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I'm a bunnywunny in the shape of a panther - hence the 250lb.
I think I'd be the bunnywunny from Monty Python and the Holly Grail.
The one that rips their throats out.
Blame my afpfiance for this - sigged him times three - sad he's not
here to defend himself at the mo' ;o))
I will own up . . . I will own up . . .

Andrew West

Feb 28, 2001, 12:30:43 PM2/28/01
> >Spooky
> >The 250lb Bunnywunny with teeth
>
> Er... Do you know many bunnywunnies without teeth? In my experience,
> they do have some, which they use to gnaw on just about everything
> (bits of wood, tapestry, carpets, doors, power cables[1], their
> owner's foot, ...)

Ohhh, bunnywunnies definitely have teeth (cue wobbling feeling and flash
back to my youth), my little cute bunny I had as a kid definitely had teeth
and didn't like being picked up, as I found out when the thing bit me on the
arm and managed to go right through the coat and jumper I was wearing.

Bunny's have teeth and they are <Monty Python> big point teeth like this
</Monty Python>.

Andrew.

Steve Hurley

Feb 28, 2001, 12:56:38 PM2/28/01

> Oh, Steve :o(
> And there's me thinking the shoulder massage was working.

Throw me another Rolo Spook.

Jenny Radcliffe

Feb 28, 2001, 1:11:06 PM2/28/01
Steve Hurley <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote

Trit-trot-trit-trot.
What are you trying to achieve?

--
"About as long as a pull across your chest" - Andy Beales

Spooky

Feb 28, 2001, 1:14:06 PM2/28/01

"Steve Hurley" <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

<fx. rustling gold foil>

On yer 'ed son!
At least this one has no fluff . . . see, new pack.

Steve Hurley

Feb 28, 2001, 1:25:27 PM2/28/01

"Jenny Radcliffe" <j.s.ra...@dur.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Trit-trot-trit-trot.
> What are you trying to achieve?

Wazzup Jen?

Just gettin' a party together... Wot you 'avin?

Grymma

Feb 28, 2001, 1:47:41 PM2/28/01

| "Jenny Radcliffe" <j.s.ra...@dur.ac.uk> wrote

| > Trit-trot-trit-trot.
| > What are you trying to achieve?
|
| Wazzup Jen?
|
| Just gettin' a party together... Wot you 'avin?

I'm not Jenny, but mine's a bacardi and coke if you're buying, thanks :o)

Not used to seeing you here, Steve. I've been busy around the blueyonder
groups where I *normally* see you being friendly, civil and helpful...
anyway, I'm on a diet, and I can't offer you any Rolos, but there is this
here slab of Galaxy my well meaning but misguided child bought me, if
you'd like it?

Oh, better make that bacardi and diet coke *g*

--
Grymma AFPOh Goddess Of Hangovers; B.F.(use 'reply to')
AFPiancée to Tap, DP, Miq, XM & Chris H.; AFPhaghag;

Steve Hurley

Feb 28, 2001, 2:19:23 PM2/28/01

"Grymma" <Gry...@wibble.invalid> wrote in message > I'm not Jenny, but

mine's a bacardi and coke if you're buying, thanks :o)

I'll have to see how it goes after paying my BY bill.:-)

> Not used to seeing you here, Steve. I've been busy around the blueyonder
> groups where I *normally* see you being friendly, civil and helpful...

What are you saying? I'm *always* helpful. They don't appreciate me on here
though. Oh well, that's students for you.
I don't think we've spoken before, but I've seen your postings on the BY
NGs. I remember your discworld sig. file.

> anyway, I'm on a diet, and I can't offer you any Rolos, but there is this
> here slab of Galaxy my well meaning but misguided child bought me, if
> you'd like it?

Another favourite of mine.:-)

> Oh, better make that bacardi and diet coke *g*

Hee hee.

My cable modem's working great tonight; I'll have to get some surfing in
while I can.:-)

Steve Hurley

Feb 28, 2001, 2:24:08 PM2/28/01

> On yer 'ed son!

Gulp!

> At least this one has no fluff . . . see, new pack.

As long as you save me the last one.

Spooky

Feb 28, 2001, 3:11:59 PM2/28/01

Steve Hurley <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

With or without fluff?

David Ferguson

Feb 28, 2001, 5:20:41 PM2/28/01

"Spooky" <laptop...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> That log you are about to sit on is Sweetheart, the chocolate
> minder. Please don't try painting with body choc - crocs
> don't like it. ;o)

Ah, but how do Ally-gaiters feel about it?

Andrew Irish

Mar 1, 2001, 6:28:51 AM3/1/01
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, gabg14078 wrote:

> Hello World? As a first thing to say?
> He's a computer science student alright.

Sorry, I guess in the few months of being here something had to sink in.

Pity it was the sense of humour.

(or, !(sense of humour)

in case you aren't a CompSci student, '!' means 'not' or inverse)

Mike Knell

Mar 1, 2001, 8:02:51 AM3/1/01

"Spooky" <spo...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>Steve Hurley <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Spooky" <laptop...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

(etc)

Ah, great. More people who can't tell the difference between "personal
conversation" and "interesting stuff to more than two people".

One of these things should be posted to Usenet. The other one shouldn't.
I'll let you work out which is why for yourselves.

Mike "getting in touch with my inner curmudgeonly old fart" K.

Spooky

Mar 1, 2001, 9:19:53 AM3/1/01

"Mike Knell" <user...@vanitydomain.org> wrote in message

> "Spooky" <spo...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >Steve Hurley <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> "Spooky" <laptop...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
> (etc)
>
> Ah, great. More people who can't tell the difference between "personal
> conversation" and "interesting stuff to more than two people".

replied by mail

--
Spooky :o)
Afpfiance to Andrew's pink and fluffy wossnames

Steve Hurley

Mar 1, 2001, 10:37:03 AM3/1/01

"Mike Knell" <user...@vanitydomain.org> wrote in message
> Ah, great. More people who can't tell the difference between "personal
> conversation" and "interesting stuff to more than two people".

A good description of a typical TV chatshow.

> One of these things should be posted to Usenet. The other one shouldn't.
> I'll let you work out which is why for yourselves.

I give up. What's the answer?

> Mike "getting in touch with my inner curmudgeonly old fart" K.

Oh... and on the subject of thing's one should or should not do. Please
refrain from using words that are not part of everyday English.

Peter Ellis

Mar 1, 2001, 10:57:28 AM3/1/01
On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Steve Hurley wrote:

>Oh... and on the subject of thing's one should or should not do. Please
>refrain from using words that are not part of everyday English.

That *is* everyday English. Maybe not for you, but your ignorance is
scarcely our problem. In's not everyday speech for billions of Chinese
either, but I don't see *them* complaining.

Peter

Spooky

Mar 1, 2001, 11:49:40 AM3/1/01

"Daniel Goldsmith" <anti...@eircom.net> wrote in message

> I'm really not picking on Peter[1], but...
>
> *Please* can we stop the troll-feeding now? ISTM that at the moment
> around 20% of afp appears to be rightly indignant followups to this
> person. Counter-insult follows insult, to predictable and wholly
> tiresome result.

OK, I'm admitting defeat here.
I was just trying to get the guy interested in something
other that barbed comments but as has rightly been
pointed out it was a two-folk conversation and has now
turned into yet another barb.
It seems I do more harm than good - and for that I'm
sorry :o(
Martyn, if you read this, thanks for everything.

Spook

Steve Hurley

Mar 1, 2001, 12:06:55 PM3/1/01
"Peter Ellis" <pj...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

> That *is* everyday English. Maybe not for you, but your ignorance is
> scarcely our problem.

Is that the royal "our"?

>In's not everyday speech for billions of Chinese
> either, but I don't see *them* complaining.

You say, "Chinese either". I assume this has a similar meaning to, "Chinese
as well". As well as *English* perhaps?

Jenny Radcliffe

Mar 1, 2001, 12:21:10 PM3/1/01
Spooky <laptop...@ntlworld.com> wrote
> "Daniel Goldsmith" <anti...@eircom.net> wrote

> > I'm really not picking on Peter[1], but...
> > *Please* can we stop the troll-feeding now? ISTM that at the
moment
> > around 20% of afp appears to be rightly indignant followups to
this
> > person. Counter-insult follows insult, to predictable and wholly
> > tiresome result.
> OK, I'm admitting defeat here.
> I was just trying to get the guy interested in something
> other that barbed comments but as has rightly been
> pointed out it was a two-folk conversation and has now
> turned into yet another barb.
> It seems I do more harm than good - and for that I'm
> sorry :o(
> Martyn, if you read this, thanks for everything.

<hugs Spooky>

Good for you for trying.

--
"I don't want wild cavortments with German girls. I want my chemicals
to behave." James Asher

Steve Hurley

Mar 1, 2001, 12:21:44 PM3/1/01

> OK, I'm admitting defeat here.
> I was just trying to get the guy interested in something
> other that barbed comments but as has rightly been
> pointed out it was a two-folk conversation and has now
> turned into yet another barb.

You just can't win on here. You're alright Spook. Tell 'em to shove it.

> It seems I do more harm than good - and for that I'm
> sorry :o(

Why appologe to these facists?

As we say in this part of the world, " They don't like it up 'em".

goblin

Mar 1, 2001, 12:14:35 PM3/1/01
In article <84vn6.571$e83....@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
"Spooky" <laptop...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

Spoooooooooooky, don't be sad... I like your happy posts.

If everyone on Usenet had your patience, forbearance and entertaining
standard of posting.. the online bit of the world would be a happier
place.

I wish I could do half as well. :)
--
goblin
AFPianced to Andrew, April's AFPvalentine
AFPego c/o Eric

Steve Hurley

Mar 1, 2001, 12:38:39 PM3/1/01

"Daniel Goldsmith" <anti...@eircom.net> wrote in message

> I'm really not picking on Peter[1], but...

Wait for it...

> *Please* can we stop the troll-feeding now? ISTM that at the moment
> around 20% of afp appears to be rightly indignant followups to this
> person.

20% ay? Not bad. I bet you wish you were as popular Dan?

> I hate to crank out a hoary old chestnut, but on-line time does
> cost money for many, and this is just becoming ridiculous.

Shut up then.

David Chapman

Mar 1, 2001, 3:05:36 PM3/1/01

> If everyone on Usenet had your patience, forbearance and
entertaining
> standard of posting.. the online bit of the world would be a happier
> place.

Sadly, though, we have to put up with mother-pimping bastard trolls
like Hurley. Utopia Strikes Again, I fear.

--
These things are not the beliefs of madmen
but the beliefs of sane men and women trying

Steve Hurley

Mar 1, 2001, 4:35:37 PM3/1/01

"David Chapman" <anti...@evildeath.madasafish.com> wrote in message

> Sadly, though, we have to put up with mother-pimping bastard trolls
> like Hurley. Utopia Strikes Again, I fear.

It seems not everyone agrees with you judging by my popularity.

Dalton

Mar 1, 2001, 4:41:25 PM3/1/01

Farm animals do not count.

--
Rob Dalton
http://daltonator.net

"Remember, you can't polish a turd." ---Wayne Poe

Steve Hurley

Mar 1, 2001, 4:52:45 PM3/1/01

"Dalton" <r...@nospam.daltonator.net> wrote in message

> Farm animals do not count.

I don't think they can read either.

Dalton

Mar 1, 2001, 5:01:22 PM3/1/01

That's exploitation that is, Mr. Hurley. Leave the poor things alone and
pull your pants up.

Carol Hague

Mar 1, 2001, 5:11:49 PM3/1/01
Steve Hurley <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Oh... and on the subject of thing's one should or should not do. Please
> refrain from using words that are not part of everyday English.

I don't often do this - annoying people generally slide unremarked into
my killfile - but I feel that such extreme Clue-Resistance should be
marked in some way, therefore :-

*plonk*

Carol Hague
--
"It's a big rock. I can't wait to tell my friends. They haven't got a
rock this big." - Spike, BtVS

Eric Jarvis

Mar 1, 2001, 5:35:51 PM3/1/01
Dalton wrote:
> Steve Hurley wrote:
> >
> > "David Chapman" <anti...@evildeath.madasafish.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Sadly, though, we have to put up with mother-pimping bastard trolls
> > > like Hurley. Utopia Strikes Again, I fear.
> >
> > It seems not everyone agrees with you judging by my popularity.
>
> Farm animals do not count.

though judging by the stuff attributed to S Hurley Esq, they can
post to Usenet

--
eric - afprelationships in headers
"live fast, die only if strictly necessary"

Robert J Green

Mar 1, 2001, 5:48:17 PM3/1/01

"Steve Hurley" <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
Who told you, you were popular?

No one around here.

Go away.

--
R J Green

(This space intentionally left blank)

Miq

Mar 1, 2001, 6:00:39 PM3/1/01

*** SPOILER WARNING: this post contains bad language. Mr Churley will
*** not, of course, know these words, since they're not in everyday use,
*** but I'm hoping he'll get the gist.

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Steve Hurley <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote

Most of the time, I'd rather shove cocktail sticks into my penis than
agree with David Chapman. Once in a while, however, he's right, and
this is one of those occasions.

I take my hat off to you, Steve. In three years on AFP and less
welcoming groups, I have never seen such a consistent combination of
thick skin and thin wit as you have shown. In ten years of interviewing
managers and politicians, I have never encountered quite such a
pointless, brainless, talentless, bilious, drivelling, drooling, puling,
farting, flaccid twat as you.

Does it not worry you that your mindless ripostes combine the precision
of a drunken hippopotamus with the strength of a dying slug? Does it
not bother you that not one single person in the whole world, not even
you, thinks you're anything but a witless, worthless cunt? Are you
happy now that, among the general contempt and derision, you've managed
to goad just one genuine human being into showing you real *pity*?

Why don't you just retire to the bathroom with that sticky jazz-mag?
You'll feel better for it.

--
Miq

MP

Mar 1, 2001, 6:38:48 PM3/1/01
Hmm, he may be wrong, but MP thinks that Andrew Irish
<agi...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote, on Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:28:51 +0000,
that:

<snip>

>Pity it was the sense of humour.
>
>(or, !(sense of humour)
>
>in case you aren't a CompSci student, '!' means 'not' or inverse)

<> always. For example, perl... (oh, come on. You can spot that one,
without me pointing it out, surely...)
However, strange recollections of the distant post (oh, at least two
weeks now) debating Ź...
Anyway, virtually all the stuff I do is quite high level, so just
uses, um, the word not. Boring, isn't it.

MP

David Chapman

Mar 1, 2001, 7:36:25 PM3/1/01
"Miq" <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> *** SPOILER WARNING: this post contains bad language. Mr Churley
will
> *** not, of course, know these words, since they're not in everyday
use,
> *** but I'm hoping he'll get the gist.

Are you

> happy now that, among the general contempt and derision, you've
managed
> to goad just one genuine human being into showing you real *pity*?

Who the hell did that? I must have missed it.

Steve Hurley

Mar 2, 2001, 4:42:00 AM3/2/01

"Miq" <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Have you finished?

Steve Hurley

Mar 2, 2001, 4:44:36 AM3/2/01

> Who the hell did that? I must have missed it.

Please try to pay attention Chappy.

Tangawizi

Mar 2, 2001, 7:17:07 AM3/2/01

"Eric Jarvis" <er...@last.dircon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Dalton wrote:
> > Steve Hurley wrote:
> > >
> > > "David Chapman" <anti...@evildeath.madasafish.com> wrote in message

> > > It seems not everyone agrees with you judging by my popularity.
> >
> > Farm animals do not count.
> >

> though judging by the stuff attributed to S Hurley Esq, they can
> post to Usenet

Oh come on.... I think thats a bit unfair- they have to put up with BSE,
foot and mouth *and* being compared to Troll Exhibit No 1? Its just not
right. I've never been insulted by a cow, personally...

Tangawizi

Spuddie

Mar 2, 2001, 10:06:57 AM3/2/01
It's a purple Pop Tart! No, it's a hiccuping glodfish! Nah, it's only
Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> wibbling in a tumbleweed, hollering:

>Most of the time, I'd rather shove cocktail sticks into my penis than
>agree with David Chapman.

:-O

One assumes you've actually *tried* this, then? Eeek! :)

Spuddie
~~~How come there aren't "B" size batteries?~~~

Suzi

Mar 2, 2001, 4:44:02 PM3/2/01
In article <44LZgnAX...@kew1.demon.co.uk>, Miq
(Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk) wibbled...

[Snip fairly well-rendered flame, although a little too much bad
language to make it a classic (sorry Miq)]

Can I suggest that we all now stop feeding the troll... a good technique
I've seen used elsewhere is that of the "shun"? - ie. whatever the troll
says and whatever the troll does, no-one but no-one follows up. Just a
thought... it could return some sanity to the place :-)

OK - to get back on track - what are peoples feelings about blancmange?
Better than custard? Worse?

Suzi
(email addie changed for this post to keep some of the snipers happy)
--
AFP Help? <afp-...@lspace.org> & LSpace Web http://www.lspace.org/
Online Guide at http://www.aber.ac.uk/~cap96/afpguide/afpguide.html

Richard Eney

Mar 2, 2001, 4:58:24 PM3/2/01
In article <MPG.150a23bd9...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>,

Suzi <ptr...@youbastard.co.uk> wrote:

>OK - to get back on track - what are peoples feelings about blancmange?
>Better than custard? Worse?

First, what exactly _is_ blancmange? I don't think I've ever had it.
The only description I've read makes it sound like a sort of bread
pudding. If so, I definitely prefer custard.

=Tamar

Steve Hurley

Mar 2, 2001, 5:10:24 PM3/2/01

"Suzi" <spam...@lovegoddess.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message

> Can I suggest that we all now stop feeding the troll... a good technique
> I've seen used elsewhere is that of the "shun"? - ie. whatever the troll
> says and whatever the troll does, no-one but no-one follows up. Just a
> thought... it could return some sanity to the place :-)

Nice idea Suzi. Trouble is they can't resist it. No will-power.

> OK - to get back on track - what are peoples feelings about blancmange?
> Better than custard? Worse?

Who cares?

Steve Hurley

Mar 2, 2001, 5:18:57 PM3/2/01

"Richard Eney" <dic...@Radix.Net> wrote in message

> In article <MPG.150a23bd9...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>,
> Suzi <ptr...@youbastard.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >OK - to get back on track - what are peoples feelings about blancmange?
> >Better than custard? Worse?
>
> First, what exactly _is_ blancmange?

It's like custard, but using different flavourings. e.g. chocolate,
strawberry etc.

Miq

Mar 2, 2001, 6:23:13 PM3/2/01
On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Richard Eney <dic...@Radix.Net> wrote

>First, what exactly _is_ blancmange? I don't think I've ever had it.
>The only description I've read makes it sound like a sort of bread
>pudding. If so, I definitely prefer custard.

There may be foodstuffs that are *less* like bread pudding than
blancmange, but right now I can't think of any.

It's a bit, though not much, like a cross between jelly (or whatever you
Leftpondians call it) and a mousse. It's opaque, white (made with milk)
and flavoured with vanilla. Or, of course, whatever other flavouring
takes your fancy.

--
Miq

Robert J Green

Mar 2, 2001, 6:39:59 PM3/2/01

"Richard Eney" <dic...@Radix.Net> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.150a23bd9...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>,
> Suzi <ptr...@youbastard.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >OK - to get back on track - what are peoples feelings about blancmange?
> >Better than custard? Worse?
>
> First, what exactly _is_ blancmange?

It's a form of jelly made using milk (and possibly corn-flour.)
It was invented/popularised during the war to make sugar rations go a little
further. It is also IMHO absolutely revolting

Ambitious_Wench

Mar 2, 2001, 10:09:13 PM3/2/01
In article <l%Un6.3817$lw1.1...@news2.cableinet.net>, "Steve Hurley"
<hur...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> It's like custard, but using different flavourings. e.g. chocolate,
> strawberry etc.

I thought it was "white", as per the "blanc-" part. How can chocolate or
strawberry be white?

--
Ambitious Wench
"Ignorance is curable. Stupidity isn't."

Christin Keck

Mar 2, 2001, 11:45:30 PM3/2/01
On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:23:13 +0000, Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> spewed:

Is this something like tapioca pudding?
CK, or as they say in Spain, "Yes, what?"
Visit my Universe: www.seekaye.com
Or visit my Alternate Universe: Geocities.com/SoHo/Square/4033

David Sander

Mar 3, 2001, 3:03:15 AM3/3/01
Ambitious_Wench wrote:

> In article <l%Un6.3817$lw1.1...@news2.cableinet.net>, "Steve Hurley"
> <hur...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > It's like custard, but using different flavourings. e.g. chocolate,
> > strawberry etc.
>
> I thought it was "white", as per the "blanc-" part. How can chocolate or
> strawberry be white?

Ever heard of white chocolate?

And strawberries! White - shows they're ... er .. ripe ... yeah, ripe
... <fx: nods frantically>

:-P

IGMC

David

Mike Stevens

Mar 3, 2001, 2:56:44 AM3/3/01

Richard Eney <dic...@Radix.Net> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.150a23bd9...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>,
> Suzi <ptr...@youbastard.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >OK - to get back on track - what are peoples feelings about blancmange?
> >Better than custard? Worse?
>
> First, what exactly _is_ blancmange?

It's a name that has meant quite different things at different times. The
Oxford English Dictionary says :

"? a. Formerly: A dish composed usually of fowl, but also of other meat,
minced with cream, rice, almonds, sugar, eggs, etc. Obs.

b. Now: A sweetmeat made of dissolved isinglass or gelatine boiled with
milk, etc., and forming an opaque white jelly; also a preparation of
cornflour and milk, with flavouring substances."

--
Mike Stevens
The old farts' old fart.

Mike Stevens

Mar 3, 2001, 2:52:39 AM3/3/01

Steve Hurley <hur...@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Probably quite good for feeding to trolls.

Suzi

Mar 3, 2001, 4:27:03 AM3/3/01
In article <97p520$knd$1...@saltmine.radix.net>, Richard Eney
(dic...@Radix.Net) wibbled...

> First, what exactly _is_ blancmange? I don't think I've ever had it.
> The only description I've read makes it sound like a sort of bread
> pudding. If so, I definitely prefer custard.

Like bread pudding?! <eek> Where've you been getting your descriptions
from? Blancmange is a thick custard with flavourings (like strawberry,
raspberry, etc) which is poured into a jelly mould and left to set. Best
serving suggestion I've seen is for pink rabbits... use a pink
blancmange and a rabbit jelly mould. Once the blancmange has set turn
the pink rabbit out onto some green jelly (jello for the 'merkins) and
add currents for eyes and a swirl of cream for the tail.

Suzi

Steve Hurley

Mar 3, 2001, 4:57:00 AM3/3/01

"Ambitious_Wench" <Ambitio...@elfden.co.uk> wrote in message > I

thought it was "white", as per the "blanc-" part. How can chocolate or
> strawberry be white?

It may have started off that way (see the other responses on this thread),
but I usually assume it to mean something with the same consistency as set
custard, but not yellow. Usually as an alternative to the set custard used
on trifles. I have no preference; I hate them both.

Here's a definition from Merriam-Webster online dictionary
www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary : -

Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English blancmanger, from Middle French blanc manger,
literally, white food
Date: 14th century
: a usually sweetened and flavored dessert made from gelatinous or starchy
ingredients and milk

Would it be right to assume, from this definition, that custard is actually
a type of blancmange?

Ambitious_Wench

Mar 3, 2001, 8:27:58 AM3/3/01
In article <3AA0A337...@bigpond.net.au>, "David Sander"
<sur...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Ever heard of white chocolate?
>
> And strawberries! White - shows they're ... er .. ripe ... yeah, ripe
> ... <fx: nods frantically>

Just after I posted, white chocolate crossed my mind. However, I prefer
red strawberries to the white kind.

MP

Mar 3, 2001, 10:24:34 AM3/3/01
Hmm, he may be wrong, but MP thinks that she...@concentric.net

(Christin Keck) wrote, on 03 Mar 2001 04:45:30 GMT, that:

>On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:23:13 +0000, Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> spewed:
>
>>On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Richard Eney <dic...@Radix.Net> wrote
>>>First, what exactly _is_ blancmange?

<snip>

>>It's a bit, though not much, like a cross between jelly (or whatever you
>>Leftpondians call it) and a mousse. It's opaque, white (made with milk)
>>and flavoured with vanilla. Or, of course, whatever other flavouring
>>takes your fancy.
>>

>Is this something like tapioca pudding?

Um, what's tapioca? Have seen it on supermarket shelves, and thought
"WTH is that?".
Incidentally, why has no-one mentioned semolina?

MP

Steve Hurley

Mar 3, 2001, 11:08:08 AM3/3/01

"MP" <m...@unseenuniversity.org> wrote in message

> Incidentally, why has no-one mentioned semolina?

Even the thought of it is known to induce immediate uncontrollable vomiting.

Excuse me... gotta go...

Christin Keck

Mar 3, 2001, 12:07:39 PM3/3/01

Tapioca is basically cassava root starch, formed into little beads, or
"pearls" as it is euphemistically termed on the package. When it
absorbs water, it turns into slightly slimy pudding (what we Merkians
call pudding--actually a sort of creamy stuff) with tiny little lumpy
bits that remind me of very tiny fish eyes. It's flavoured with
vanilla or "generic". It's not bad when you're ill--it's very easy on
the stomach, but a lot of people get it when it's been sitting around
for a while, and it gets really rubbery. Also, some people make it
rather dry (you can add or subtract its liquid content when you cook
it) and it is vile as a dry, pasty substance.
CK, or as they say in Spain, "Yes, What?"
Visit my Universe: www.seekaye.com
Or visit my Alternate Universe in Geocities: SoHo/Square/4033

esmi

Mar 3, 2001, 2:14:22 PM3/3/01
On 03 Mar 2001, "Ambitious_Wench" <Ambitio...@elfden.co.uk>
wrote
>"Steve >Hurley"wrote:

>> It's like custard, but using different flavourings. e.g.
>> chocolate, strawberry etc.

>I thought it was "white", as per the "blanc-" part. How can
>chocolate or strawberry be white?

I think the "blanc" part comes from the fact that the basic sauce is
pure white as it only contains milk and gelatine (or
cornflour?). Traditionally the flavourings are added after the sauce
is cooked. So it's rather like a basic white sauce that then goes on to
become cheese or mushroom suace - except this version is sweet rather
than savoury and the additions tend to be strawberry, chocolate or
vanilla etc.

Custard, OTOH, (and there is a whole variety of "custards") by
definition should contain egg - so the basic traditional custard sauce
would be very pale yellow rather than pure white.

Does that make more sense? :-)

esmi
--
* "2002: A Discworld Odyssey" * The Discworld Convention *
* Hanover International, Hinckley * August 16th-19th, 2002 *

Richard Eney

Mar 3, 2001, 3:07:33 PM3/3/01
In article <Qs1o6.9054$GB4....@news11-gui.server.ntli.net>,
Mike Stevens <michael...@mail.which.net> wrote:

>Richard Eney <dic...@Radix.Net> wrote
>> First, what exactly _is_ blancmange?
>
>It's a name that has meant quite different things at different times.
>The Oxford English Dictionary says :
>
>"? a. Formerly: A dish composed usually of fowl, but also of other meat,
>minced with cream, rice, almonds, sugar, eggs, etc. Obs.

Aha, I thought it had some chicken in it somewhere. So... cream, sugar,
eggs = custard; add rice => rice pudding. add chicken and almonds ...
chicken rice pudding almondine. Yum. :-)

>b. Now: A sweetmeat made of dissolved isinglass or gelatine boiled with
>milk, etc., and forming an opaque white jelly; also a preparation of
>cornflour and milk, with flavouring substances."

I think I've had that, but the person called it something else
<dig in recipe box>: "Sweet Cakes of Rose Flavored Milk Jelly".
It was made with 16 oz hot milk, 5 tsp unflavored gelatin, 4 oz sugar,
and an unspecified (oops) amount of rosewater, and set
to a soft finger-food texture. Very delicate stuff.

=Tamar

Ambitious_Wench

Mar 3, 2001, 3:33:47 PM3/3/01
In article <3aa125ab....@news.concentric.net>, "Christin Keck"
<she...@concentric.net> wrote:

> It's not bad when you're ill--it's very easy on the stomach, but a lot
> of people get it when it's been sitting around for a while, and it gets
> really rubbery. Also, some people make it rather dry (you can add or
> subtract its liquid content when you cook it) and it is vile as a dry,
> pasty substance.
> --

I've heard (read?) that tapioca is one of those foods that takes care of
the "other end", if you have either problem. It firms things up, or
softens, as needed. I've had it a couple of times, and it's bland at
best, just plain yucky-slimey at worst.

Gimme good old Jello brand gelatin any day.
BTW, I finally got Pan 0.9.4 up and running... very nice interface.
Still can't attach binaries, though. :::shrug:::

MP

Mar 3, 2001, 4:55:47 PM3/3/01
Hmm, he may be wrong, but MP thinks that "Ambitious_Wench"
<Ambitio...@elfden.co.uk> wrote, on Sat, 03 Mar 2001 15:33:47
-0500, that:

>In article <3aa125ab....@news.concentric.net>, "Christin Keck"
><she...@concentric.net> wrote:
>
>> It's not bad when you're ill--it's very easy on the stomach, but a lot
>> of people get it when it's been sitting around for a while, and it gets
>> really rubbery. Also, some people make it rather dry (you can add or
>> subtract its liquid content when you cook it) and it is vile as a dry,
>> pasty substance.
>> --
>
>I've heard (read?) that tapioca is one of those foods that takes care of
>the "other end", if you have either problem. It firms things up, or
>softens, as needed. I've had it a couple of times, and it's bland at
>best, just plain yucky-slimey at worst.

I must stop reading afp whilst eating! I am definately giving this one
a miss - fish eyes that help with the output side of your system don't
appeal to me. Even if they're actually starchy balls[1].
Please: Change Subject Now!
Lets get back to some nice food: how about carob? Carob coated
wholemeal biscuit, anybody?

MP

[1] Oh, damn! Back to Marmite...[2] Or chocolate and salt, if you
prefer.
[2] ref. that sig that mentions how to cure scrotal dermatitis...
(sorry if it's yours - I can't find it)

MP

Mar 3, 2001, 4:55:45 PM3/3/01
(Christin Keck) wrote, on 03 Mar 2001 17:07:39 GMT, that:

>><snip>

>>>Is this something like tapioca pudding?
>>
>>Um, what's tapioca? Have seen it on supermarket shelves, and thought
>>"WTH is that?".
>>Incidentally, why has no-one mentioned semolina?
>>

>Tapioca is basically cassava root starch, formed into little beads, or
>"pearls" as it is euphemistically termed on the package. When it
>absorbs water, it turns into slightly slimy pudding (what we Merkians
>call pudding--actually a sort of creamy stuff) with tiny little lumpy
>bits that remind me of very tiny fish eyes.

<snip>
Think I'll give that one a miss then, if it's all the same with you.
And you say people eat this voluntarily? Fish eye lookalike food...
:-{
Cassava? (My dictionary is singularly unhelpful "plant with starchy
root or flour from these, used e.g. in tapioca", then tapioca is
"starchy substance obtained from cassava"... Bloody reciprocal
entries!)

MP

Sandriananana

Mar 3, 2001, 6:12:04 PM3/3/01
On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 09:27:03 -0000, su...@lspace.org (Suzi) wrote:

>snip

>Like bread pudding?! <eek> Where've you been getting your descriptions
>from? Blancmange is a thick custard with flavourings (like strawberry,
>raspberry, etc) which is poured into a jelly mould and left to set. Best
>serving suggestion I've seen is for pink rabbits... use a pink
>blancmange and a rabbit jelly mould. Once the blancmange has set turn
>the pink rabbit out onto some green jelly (jello for the 'merkins) and
>add currents for eyes and a swirl of cream for the tail.

The recipe for blancmange ( if I remember rightly without looking in
the back of the kitchen cupboard) is on the side of the Brown and
Polsons cornflour box.: mix cornflour, sugar and some cold milk to a
paste, boil the rest of the milk, pour onto the cornflour mixture,
whisk till thickened over a low heat, add flavourand/or colouring,
pour into a mould and chill still set. eat, feel sick.
--

>--
>AFP Help? <afp-...@lspace.org> & LSpace Web http://www.lspace.org/
>Online Guide at http://www.aber.ac.uk/~cap96/afpguide/afpguide.html
>New to Usenet? go to http://psg.com/emily.html [E-E!E>W] TOTSuzi
>The Irrelevant page: http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~gidnsuzi/index.html

Sandriana
---------
"Take Two Parts Sand, One Part Girl, And Stir"
SJ Perelman, 'The Most of SJ Perelman'

Tangawizi

Mar 3, 2001, 7:11:38 PM3/3/01
"Christin Keck" <she...@concentric.net> wrote in message

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:23:13 +0000, Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> spewed:
[snip]

> >It's a bit, though not much, like a cross between jelly (or whatever you
> >Leftpondians call it) and a mousse. It's opaque, white (made with milk)
> >and flavoured with vanilla. Or, of course, whatever other flavouring
> >takes your fancy.

Toffee blacmange, with chopped mars bars and green apple mixed in is
yummy.... I used to eat that when I was about 14 and used to have midnight
feasts while on Guide camp.
Nostalgia....

Tangawizi

jeanibean

Mar 3, 2001, 7:45:09 PM3/3/01

> I must stop reading afp whilst eating! I am definately giving this one
> a miss - fish eyes that help with the output side of your system don't
> appeal to me. Even if they're actually starchy balls[1].
> Please: Change Subject Now!
> Lets get back to some nice food: how about carob? Carob coated
> wholemeal biscuit, anybody?
>
> MP
>
> [1] Oh, damn! Back to Marmite...[2] Or chocolate and salt, if you
> prefer.
> [2] ref. that sig that mentions how to cure scrotal dermatitis...
> (sorry if it's yours - I can't find it)

'Tis mine. And just for you, here it is again:

A 1951 British Army medical report confirmed that
Marmite was an effective treatment for scrotal dermatitis.

I found this little gem in Tasteless Lists by Karl Shaw. (My new sig is
from Cassells Dictionary of Superstitions. How do they find this stuff
out?!)

--
jeanibean

PS- Smoking a cigarette made from the
bones of a toad is said to cure insomnia.

Mary Messall

Mar 3, 2001, 9:44:44 PM3/3/01
MP wrote:
> Think I'll give that one a miss then, if it's all the same with you.
> And you say people eat this voluntarily? Fish eye lookalike food...

Come on, you'll eat mammal muscles and hoof extracts, embryonic chickens
and fungi, but you don't want tapioca because the little starchy balls
look like "fish eyes"?

Basically, it's vanilla pudding, but slightly gooey-er. The tapioca
balls are tasteless, and have the texture of cooked pasta. I thought it
*was* a kind of pasta ball. Anyway, I like tapioca, and don't find it
any more disgusting than any other kind of pudding. Except when my
grandpa made some and mistook the liquid smoke for the vanilla extract.
That was pretty disgusting. But usually it's nummy.

-Mary

--
http://www.bombadilmag.com
The green, green webzine.

Christin Keck

Mar 3, 2001, 10:20:56 PM3/3/01
On Sat, 03 Mar 2001 21:55:45 GMT, m...@unseenuniversity.org (MP) spewed:

Oooh, then this will make it even /more/ appetizing: cassava is a
variety of Spurge. Yum.
CK, or as they say in Spain, "Yes, what?"
Visit my Universe: www.seekaye.com
Or visit my Alternate Universe: Geocities.com/SoHo/Square/4033

Charlotte

Mar 4, 2001, 9:53:07 AM3/4/01

> [1] I live in the UK - all animals here carry deadly diseases. Not
> safe to eat them. IMO, anyway.
> [2] Hoof extracts?

Gelatine and other similar stuff is made from the hooves and bones of cows
and suchlike IIRC. If I'm wrong (which I could quite well be) someone should
be along to correct me any second...

Charlotte

Black Mechanic

Mar 4, 2001, 10:36:45 AM3/4/01

"Andrew Irish" <agi...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Just introducing myself -> I'm a computer science student who is a Terry
> Pratchett fan.
>
> I've read nine of his books so far, but I can't remember all of their
> titles at the moment so I won't bother listing them.
>
> Just thought I ought to let you guys know I've been reading the group for
> a few days.
>
> Oh, well,
>
> HAVE FUN
>
> Andrew

How long can a post get?

--
#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))

Miq

Mar 4, 2001, 11:04:26 AM3/4/01
On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Sandriananana <ag...@psa.orcon.net.nz> wrote

>The recipe for blancmange ( if I remember rightly without looking in
>the back of the kitchen cupboard) is on the side of the Brown and
>Polsons cornflour box.: mix cornflour, sugar and some cold milk to a
>paste, boil the rest of the milk, pour onto the cornflour mixture,
>whisk till thickened over a low heat, add flavourand/or colouring,
>pour into a mould and chill still set. eat, feel sick.

Ah, now there's your mistake. Cornflour has *no* place anywhere near a
blancmange.

It doesn't belong in custard, either.

In fact, there's a lot to be said for throwing the box of cornflour away
and banning the stuff from your house forever...

--
Miq

Edwin Brady

Mar 4, 2001, 11:15:49 AM3/4/01
Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In fact, there's a lot to be said for throwing the box of cornflour away
> and banning the stuff from your house forever...

Or, if you really must, you could try making some
ooblick... (cornflour mixed with water. It's strangely non Newtonian -
pours, but resists rapid motion and cracks when hit
hard.... http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/ooblick.html)

It serves no purpose except to frighten normal people and fascinate
geeky type people like me. A friend of mine took a tub of it to the
pub once and, surprisingly, didn't get thrown out as the landlord
seemed just as fascinated by the stuff as we were...

Edwin.
--
Edwin Brady - http://www.dur.ac.uk/e.c.brady/
"I'll have a pint of Kimmy please." - Tom York

Mary Messall

Mar 4, 2001, 12:43:11 PM3/4/01
Edwin Brady wrote:
> Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> writes:
> > In fact, there's a lot to be said for throwing the box of cornflour away
> > and banning the stuff from your house forever...
> Or, if you really must, you could try making some
> ooblick... (cornflour mixed with water. It's strangely non Newtonian -
> pours, but resists rapid motion and cracks when hit
> hard.... http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/ooblick.html)

Hey, that's what we called it when we played with it in elementary
school. I thought they just made that name up because we read the
delightful Dr. Seuss book "Bartholomew and the Oobleck".

> It serves no purpose except to frighten normal people and fascinate
> geeky type people like me. A friend of mine took a tub of it to the
> pub once and, surprisingly, didn't get thrown out as the landlord
> seemed just as fascinated by the stuff as we were...

I haven't thought about that in years. I think I may have seen it on a
Mister Wizard episode once... Something about really powerful surface
tension, isn't it?

You've brought back happy memories of my childhood *and* given me
something sciency to think about. Thanks.

Jenny Radcliffe

Mar 4, 2001, 12:54:35 PM3/4/01
Mary Messall <mmes...@ups.edu> wrote

> MP wrote:
> > Think I'll give that one a miss then, if it's all the same with you.
> > And you say people eat this voluntarily? Fish eye lookalike food...
> Come on, you'll eat mammal muscles and hoof extracts, embryonic
chickens
> and fungi, but you don't want tapioca because the little starchy balls
> look like "fish eyes"?
> Basically, it's vanilla pudding, but slightly gooey-er. The tapioca
> balls are tasteless, and have the texture of cooked pasta. I thought
it
> *was* a kind of pasta ball. Anyway, I like tapioca, and don't find it
> any more disgusting than any other kind of pudding. Except when my
> grandpa made some and mistook the liquid smoke for the vanilla
extract.
> That was pretty disgusting. But usually it's nummy.

Nah, they have the texture of *badly* cooked pasta which has been
over-cooked. Properly cooked, even dried pasta has a nice "bite" to it
(the technical term being "al dente") which tapioca, to the best of my
knowledge, lacks every time.

--
"I want Tom Calver" - Tim Packer

Edwin

Mar 4, 2001, 1:01:44 PM3/4/01
Mary Messall <mmes...@ups.edu> writes:

> > It serves no purpose except to frighten normal people and fascinate
> > geeky type people like me. A friend of mine took a tub of it to the
> > pub once and, surprisingly, didn't get thrown out as the landlord
> > seemed just as fascinated by the stuff as we were...
>
> I haven't thought about that in years. I think I may have seen it on a
> Mister Wizard episode once... Something about really powerful surface
> tension, isn't it?

Something like that, yes, although to be honest I was more interested
in poking my finger in it at various speeds and seeing what the effect
was ;).

> You've brought back happy memories of my childhood *and* given me
> something sciency to think about. Thanks.

Childhood? Coo. I'd never heard of it until I was 21... I think I may
have wasted my youth in all the wrong ways though...

Edwin.
--
Edwin Brady - http://www.dur.ac.uk/e.c.brady/

"Two are me looming thrums, see how then jangle /
One's the grunge upon my splod, masking my cordwangle."

Jenny Radcliffe

Mar 4, 2001, 1:10:42 PM3/4/01
Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> wrote

I don't know, I've found it useful on a fair few occasions pertaining
especially to Béchamel sauces ... and it's the stuff they cover jelly
babies and Turkish delight with, too, which is a Good Thing.

--
"He is good and he is little" - Andy Beales about Carwyn Cox

Peter Ellis

Mar 4, 2001, 2:54:35 PM3/4/01
"Edwin" <e.c....@durham.ac.uk> wrote

> Something like that, yes, although to be honest I was more interested
> in poking my finger in it at various speeds and seeing what the effect
> was ;).

I have nothing to add, that line just needs quoting out of context.

:-)

Peter

MP

Mar 4, 2001, 5:56:24 PM3/4/01
Hmm, he may be wrong, but MP thinks that "jeanibean"
<jean...@lineone.net> wrote, on Sun, 4 Mar 2001 00:45:09 -0000,
that:
<snip>

>I found this little gem in Tasteless Lists by Karl Shaw. (My new sig is
>from Cassells Dictionary of Superstitions. How do they find this stuff
>out?!)
>

>PS- Smoking a cigarette made from the
>bones of a toad is said to cure insomnia.

I would say "what type of toad", as I am not sleeping well at the
moment, but it would go against my rules:
1. if it's good for you, you don't need to burn it
2. if it's not good for you, why have it?

Incidentally, has anyone else seen that article about new warnings on
cigarette packets: 30% of front and 40% of back would need to be
covered (as opposed to 4%) if accepted. Good, I say.

MP

MP

Mar 4, 2001, 7:19:14 PM3/4/01
Hmm, he may be wrong, but MP thinks that Edwin Brady

<e.c....@durham.ac.uk> wrote, on 04 Mar 2001 16:15:49 +0000, that:

>Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> In fact, there's a lot to be said for throwing the box of cornflour away
>> and banning the stuff from your house forever...
>
>Or, if you really must, you could try making some
>ooblick... (cornflour mixed with water. It's strangely non Newtonian -
>pours, but resists rapid motion and cracks when hit
>hard.... http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/ooblick.html)

Fun stuff! I never heard it being called ooblick (I think we called
it, erm, cornflour paste...) but it is fun to play with. You could
make speed bumps out if it - you hit them fast and get thrown about,
but go slow and it would squish out of the way. In fact, they tried
something similar once, IIRC, but not with cornflour, I would guess.

>It serves no purpose except to frighten normal people and fascinate
>geeky type people like me. A friend of mine took a tub of it to the
>pub once and, surprisingly, didn't get thrown out as the landlord
>seemed just as fascinated by the stuff as we were...

Your landlord is a sensible bloke then! Go make some of it if you've
never done it before. Ooblick virgins should be careful to get the
consistency right, because it is strangely difficult to clear up...
<FX: winces> :-}

MP

Dalton

Mar 5, 2001, 12:46:14 AM3/5/01

A thread on another NG I'm on stretched to well over 1,000 posts.

--
Rob Dalton
http://daltonator.net

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

Christin Keck

Mar 5, 2001, 1:30:56 AM3/5/01
On Sun, 4 Mar 2001 16:04:26 +0000, Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> spewed:

Oooh..not if you cook Orientally.

Jen Birren

Mar 5, 2001, 5:25:47 AM3/5/01
Christin Keck wrote:
> Tapioca is basically cassava root starch, formed into little beads, or
> "pearls" as it is euphemistically termed on the package. When it
> absorbs water, it turns into slightly slimy pudding (what we Merkians
> call pudding--actually a sort of creamy stuff) with tiny little lumpy
> bits that remind me of very tiny fish eyes. It's flavoured with
> vanilla or "generic".

It's nice! It's only "slimy" in the way that porridge is, with starch
released from the granules/oats to make a cohesive gloop. My mum makes
it with vanilla in it and a butterscotch sauce....mmmm....tapioca. Very
good bland nursery food. Blancmange is OK as well, but a mousse or fool
is nicer.
Jen

Edwin Brady

Mar 5, 2001, 6:04:43 AM3/5/01
"Peter Ellis" <pj...@cam.ac.uk> writes:

Heh. Thanks ;).

Edwin.
--
Edwin Brady - http://www.dur.ac.uk/e.c.brady/

- "Ah! Splendid."

Andrew Irish

Mar 5, 2001, 8:40:39 AM3/5/01
On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, MP wrote:

> >in case you aren't a CompSci student, '!' means 'not' or inverse)
> <> always. For example, perl... (oh, come on. You can spot that one,
> without me pointing it out, surely...)
> However, strange recollections of the distant post (oh, at least two
> weeks now) debating Ź...
> Anyway, virtually all the stuff I do is quite high level, so just
> uses, um, the word not. Boring, isn't it.
>
> MP

I was going to use that symbol but my email client (Pine) won't let
me! (no, that's <> not! Neithers that, oops..)

Richard Bos

Mar 5, 2001, 9:18:09 AM3/5/01
m...@unseenuniversity.org (MP) wrote:

> Incidentally, has anyone else seen that article about new warnings on
> cigarette packets: 30% of front and 40% of back would need to be
> covered (as opposed to 4%) if accepted. Good, I say.

Futile, I say. Anyone who is willing to risk the effects of smoking
isn't going to stop even if the packet is covered in nothing _but_
warnings. Anyone who doesn't want that risk is aware of it already.

Richard

Scott Hadley

Mar 5, 2001, 9:57:20 AM3/5/01
Richard Bos wrote:

I found the recent adverts on telly scary enough to make me quit. The
warnings on the packet didnt bother me.

Scott

Livia Mitson

Mar 5, 2001, 11:29:07 AM3/5/01
Richard Bos <in...@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote:

I'm reminded of the "Death" cigarettes, which came (come?) in a black box
with a silver skull and crossbones on it, and a warning that "These
cigarettes will kill you". Apparently they sell quite well.

Livia
--
Livia Mitson E36D 5841 3C18 0E16 1143 00B7 F688 6083
livia at wheelwright dot net http://www.wheelwright.net/livia/

Eric Jarvis

Mar 5, 2001, 1:54:06 PM3/5/01
Christin Keck wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2001 16:04:26 +0000, Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> spewed:
>
> >On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Sandriananana <ag...@psa.orcon.net.nz> wrote
> >>The recipe for blancmange ( if I remember rightly without looking in
> >>the back of the kitchen cupboard) is on the side of the Brown and
> >>Polsons cornflour box.: mix cornflour, sugar and some cold milk to a
> >>paste, boil the rest of the milk, pour onto the cornflour mixture,
> >>whisk till thickened over a low heat, add flavourand/or colouring,
> >>pour into a mould and chill still set. eat, feel sick.
> >
> >Ah, now there's your mistake. Cornflour has *no* place anywhere near a
> >blancmange.
> >
> >It doesn't belong in custard, either.
> >
> >In fact, there's a lot to be said for throwing the box of cornflour away
> >and banning the stuff from your house forever...
>
> Oooh..not if you cook Orientally.

I actually threw a box of cornflour out recently...it had been sat
on the shelf for at least three years...I just never have a use for
it anymore

--
eric - afprelationships in headers
"money can't buy you love, but sometimes dinner

Suzi

Mar 5, 2001, 2:04:53 PM3/5/01
In article <3AA32826...@daltonator.net>, Dalton
(r...@daltonator.net) wibbled...

> Black Mechanic wrote:
[Snip]

> > How long can a post get?
>
> A thread on another NG I'm on stretched to well over 1,000 posts.

Well - I'd only really be impressed by that if it stayed on the same
topic from post 1 all the way through to post 1,000 ;-)

<hint> It isn't that unusual </hint>

Suzi

Dalton

Mar 5, 2001, 2:09:14 PM3/5/01
Suzi wrote:

> In article <3AA32826...@daltonator.net>, Dalton
> (r...@daltonator.net) wibbled...
>
> > Black Mechanic wrote:
> [Snip]
> > > How long can a post get?
> >
> > A thread on another NG I'm on stretched to well over 1,000 posts.
>
> Well - I'd only really be impressed by that if it stayed on the same
> topic from post 1 all the way through to post 1,000 ;-)

Well, it started on-topic for the first few posts. Then it quickly
turned into one of the most massive flamewars I've ever seen. And that
was the topic for the remainder of the thread :)

> <hint> It isn't that unusual </hint>

What isn't? To be loved by anyone? [1]

"Remember, you can't polish a turd." ---Wayne Poe

[1] Ba-dum bum!

It is loading more messages.