Dave's favorite guests?

dyo...@ksu.edu

Jul 23, 2008, 12:11:34 PM7/23/08
Brady's synopsis and Tom Wolper's comment on Amanda Peet ("She
certainly brought out the best in Dave.") got me thinking.

Did everyone notice how Dave whined when Amanda said she needed to
depart? This brings me to the question: Who are Dave's favorite
guests? Anyone want to play? I don't necessarily mean the most
frequent guests, although I'm sure there's an effort to book Dave's
favorites.

I'm thinking:

LADIES

Amanda Peet
Julia Roberts
Sarah Jessica Parker
Amy Sideris
Barbara Walters
Isabella Rossellini
Teri Hatcher
Natalie Portman
Danica Patrick ?
Elizabeth Berkley (lap dance)
Drew Barrymore (naughty dance)
Should we include Charlize Theron now?
Perhaps Dave's all-time favorite: Darlene Love

GENTLEMEN

Tom Brokaw
Bill Murray
Billy Crystal
Harrison Ford
Tom Hanks
Regis
Bruce Willis
Jack Hanna (sort of)
Bay Area Bob Sarlatte

Obviously this has evolved over the years, as we rarely see Marv
Albert, Mary Tyler Moore, Marilu Henner or Elle Macpherson anymore.

I wonder how much my own preferences are influencing my guesswork on
Dave.

Or, you could go the other direction and opine on who give Dave the
biggest tummyaches; for example:

Andy Dick
Harvey Pekar
Richard Simmons
Madonna
Charles Grodin
Spencer Pratt ?

David D

DDY's Late Show Fan Page
http://www.ddy.com/dl3.html

Donz5

Jul 23, 2008, 1:37:07 PM7/23/08

I'd add Michael Keaton to the "favorite guests" list; on almost every
panel since 1982, Michael's had Dave in stitches. They have a common
history: "Mary" (1978).

Gary

Jul 23, 2008, 1:58:40 PM7/23/08
You forgot... oh what's her name?? Lots of failed sitcoms she always
jokes about with Dave.. I can't believe I've forgotten... Anyway, Dave
loves her.

Please put me out of my misery.

Gary

Donz5

Jul 23, 2008, 2:01:04 PM7/23/08

Bonnie Hunt!

Gary

Jul 23, 2008, 2:02:31 PM7/23/08

....... from Chicago! Damn it I'm gone blank!

Gary

Gary

Jul 23, 2008, 2:04:15 PM7/23/08

Ding!

Gary

Jul 23, 2008, 2:08:23 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 5:11 pm, dyo...@ksu.edu wrote:

> Or, you could go the other direction and opine on who give Dave the
> biggest tummyaches; for example:

> Charles Grodin

But I think Dave actually likes Grodin really.

Gary

.

Jul 23, 2008, 3:05:18 PM7/23/08
<dyo...@ksu.edu> wrote in message

> Or, you could go the other direction and opine on who give Dave the
> biggest tummyaches; for example:
>
> Andy Dick
> Harvey Pekar
> Richard Simmons
> Madonna
> Charles Grodin
> Spencer Pratt ?
>

> David D
>
> DDY's Late Show Fan Page
> http://www.ddy.com/dl3.html

No one's yet mentioned Crispin Glover!?

Coggy13

Jul 23, 2008, 3:26:19 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 9:11 am, dyo...@ksu.edu wrote:
> Brady's synopsis and Tom Wolper's comment on Amanda Peet ("She
> certainly brought out the best in Dave.") got me thinking.
>
> Did everyone notice how Dave whined when Amanda said she needed to
> depart? This brings me to the question: Who are Dave's favorite
> guests? Anyone want to play? I don't necessarily mean the most
> frequent guests, although I'm sure there's an effort to book Dave's
> favorites.
>
> I'm thinking:
>
> LADIES
>
> Amanda Peet
> Julia Roberts
> Sarah Jessica Parker
> Amy Sideris
> Barbara Walters
> Isabella Rossellini
> Teri Hatcher
> Natalie Portman
> Danica Patrick ?
> Elizabeth Berkley (lap dance)
> Drew Barrymore (naughty dance)
> Should we include Charlize Theron now?
> Perhaps Dave's all-time favorite: Darlene Love

Maybe not as much lately, but I think Dave has a fondness for Claire
Danes. On her first visit he ended it with, "Can you come back every
night?" and she's stayed for other guests on at least one show.

B. Peg

Jul 23, 2008, 3:18:19 PM7/23/08
I'd add the stripper who got into "Dave's Bookclub" and then became
playwright to "Juno."
He sure sucked up to her second appearance after the award.

I don't know about Danica Patrick.. She's a little painful to watch her
interview sometimes. Maybe when she was on his racing team.

B~

R H Draney

Jul 23, 2008, 4:08:08 PM7/23/08
. filted:

><dyo...@ksu.edu> wrote in message
>
>> Or, you could go the other direction and opine on who give Dave the
>> biggest tummyaches; for example:
>>
>> Andy Dick
>> Harvey Pekar
>> Richard Simmons
>> Madonna
>> Charles Grodin
>> Spencer Pratt ?
>
>No one's yet mentioned Crispin Glover!?

One I think has only been on one time, but really seemed to annoy Dave big-time,
was Marilyn vos Savant....

On the faves list, add comedians Jimmy "J.J." Walker and George Wallace....r

--
Evelyn Wood just looks at the pictures.

katycren

Jul 23, 2008, 4:15:19 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 12:11 pm, dyo...@ksu.edu wrote:
> Brady's synopsis and Tom Wolper's comment on Amanda Peet ("She
> certainly brought out the best in Dave.") got me thinking.
>
> Did everyone notice how Dave whined when Amanda said she needed to
> depart? This brings me to the question: Who are Dave's favorite
> guests? Anyone want to play? I don't necessarily mean the most
> frequent guests, although I'm sure there's an effort to book Dave's
> favorites.
>
> I'm thinking:
>
> LADIES
>
> Amanda Peet
> Julia Roberts
> Sarah Jessica Parker
> Amy Sideris
> Barbara Walters
> Isabella Rossellini
> Teri Hatcher
> Natalie Portman
> Danica Patrick ?
> Elizabeth Berkley (lap dance)
> Drew Barrymore (naughty dance)
> Should we include Charlize Theron now?
> Perhaps Dave's all-time favorite: Darlene Love

Martha Stewart.

> GENTLEMEN
>
> Tom Brokaw
> Bill Murray
> Billy Crystal
> Harrison Ford
> Tom Hanks
> Regis
> Bruce Willis
> Jack Hanna (sort of)
> Bay Area Bob Sarlatte

Matt Damon?

> Or, you could go the other direction and opine on who give Dave the
> biggest tummyaches; for example:
>
> Andy Dick
> Harvey Pekar
> Richard Simmons
> Madonna
> Charles Grodin
> Spencer Pratt ?

Bill O'Reilly.

I'm not sure which side to put that quack Dr. Phil on, but Dave *did*
kiss his bald head.

Kate

pfl...@mac.com

Jul 23, 2008, 4:24:41 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 2:18 pm, "B. Peg" <bent_pe...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I'd add the stripper who got into "Dave's Bookclub" and then became
> playwright to "Juno."
> He sure sucked up to her second appearance after the award.

Diablo Cody.

dyo...@ksu.edu

Jul 23, 2008, 4:57:52 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 3:15 pm, katycren <Katyc...@aol.com> wrote:
> Bill O'Reilly.

Yes! I feel completely incompetent that I left O'Reilly off the
tummyache list. Excellent! However, I think it should be pointed out
that it was Dave who caused most of the friction in his last visit.
Dave went into that interview loaded for bear.

I came very close to putting Claire Danes on the favorites list. I
agree that Dave really warmed up to her. Furthermore, they share a
birthday. I didn't ultimately put her on the list because she's not
been a frequent guest.

I thought about adding Crispin Glover to the tummyache list. I sat and
looked at his name for a while, but didn't, as he only had the one
crazy appearance, and it was on "Late Night" 21 years ago. On the
other hand, Dave walked off the set!! Paul thought it was a
"conceptual piece." There's a whole 'nother topic: Did Crispin intend
to play a far-out character, or was that the real Crispin at that time
in his life?

I almost added Bonnie Hunt. I really have no good reason for not doing
so, as they always get on well, as (I think) the British say.

I have Amanda Peet's visit last night in the Video Archives. In
watching it again today, I was even more struck by Dave's clear
affection for Amanda. Daddy has excellent taste, I think. I can watch
"Saving Silverman" repeatedly.

I didn't include J. J. Walker, primarily because I don't recall him
being well received on AFL. I do know that the two gents go way back.
I believe Daddy used to write jokes for Kid Dy-No-Mite.

gotta get back to work now...

DTSmith

Jul 23, 2008, 5:27:22 PM7/23/08
I would reluctantly like to add Tom Dreesen's name to the favorite
list, only because I dislike him so much.

sandi...@hotmail.com

Jul 23, 2008, 5:28:32 PM7/23/08
What about Teri Garr.

Gary

Jul 23, 2008, 5:59:17 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 5:11 pm, dyo...@ksu.edu wrote:

> GENTLEMEN
>
> Tom Brokaw
> Bill Murray
> Billy Crystal
> Harrison Ford
> Tom Hanks
> Regis
> Bruce Willis
> Jack Hanna (sort of)
> Bay Area Bob Sarlatte

Howard Stern. Dave has always been a big fan of Howard, and always
seems to get a kick out of him, and give him three segments.

Gary

R H Draney

Jul 23, 2008, 6:06:30 PM7/23/08
dyo...@ksu.edu filted:

>I thought about adding Crispin Glover to the tummyache list. I sat and
>looked at his name for a while, but didn't, as he only had the one
>crazy appearance, and it was on "Late Night" 21 years ago. On the
>other hand, Dave walked off the set!! Paul thought it was a
>"conceptual piece." There's a whole 'nother topic: Did Crispin intend
>to play a far-out character, or was that the real Crispin at that time
>in his life?

He was on again about two weeks after the kicking incident, ostensibly to
apologize...he even brought Dave a little peace offering, a musical jewelry box
in which he had arranged a tableau of figurines covered in tar....

(Wouldn't Crispin have made the most *perfect* Willy Wonka, though?)...r

Maybe

Jul 23, 2008, 6:16:15 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 12:08�pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> One I think has only been on one time, but really seemed to annoy Dave big-time,
> was Marilyn vos Savant....

Didn't she ask him out while she was on the show? Dave seemed to be
annoyed by that whole lthing.

And, I don't know whether Jack Hanna is a fav of Dave's but Jack likes
appearing on the show. This is from a recent interview with him:

<What's it like to appear on Letterman, and what's he really like?

A: Letterman is by far the most quick-witted TV personality that I've
worked with. ... One of the reasons I love the "Late Show" is I have
the opportunity to reach ... perhaps an audience that wouldn't
typically watch "Jack Hanna's Into the Wild."

Although my appearances with animals can seem a little haphazard, we
always have everything under control. ...

Letterman is a very private person. ... We both have homes in Montana,
not too far from each other, and we've never gotten together for
dinner. I respect his privacy.>

Here is the whole interview:
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/stories/2008/07/22/jack_hanna_animals.html

Maybe...it doesn't seem like they are always in control

Alan Page

Jul 23, 2008, 6:18:53 PM7/23/08

"Maybe" wrote...

> ...it doesn't seem like they are always in control

I think the animals are always in control...it's Jack that's not in
control!

--

Alan

www.best-page.us

~WWWWW~
What a Wonderful Web We Weave

Steve Curtis

Jul 23, 2008, 7:39:00 PM7/23/08
>GENTLEMEN

>Tom Brokaw
>Bill Murray
>Billy Crystal
>Harrison Ford
>Tom Hanks
>Regis
>Bruce Willis
>Jack Hanna (sort of)
>Bay Area Bob Sarlatte

The late Tony Randall?
Nathan Lane?
Martin Short?
Robin Williams?
Don Rickles?

To name a few more possible favorites of DL.

boston...@yahoo.com

Jul 23, 2008, 8:19:05 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 7:39 pm, iamh2o...@webtv.net (Steve Curtis) wrote:
> >GENTLEMEN

Frank Caliendo

Bill

boston...@yahoo.com

Jul 23, 2008, 8:41:03 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 12:11 pm, dyo...@ksu.edu wrote:

> Elizabeth Berkley (lap dance)

Im sorry I have no memory of this.

Bill

Steve Curtis

Jul 23, 2008, 9:29:51 PM7/23/08
"boston...@yahoo.com" wrote:

>(Steve Curtis) wrote:

>>GENTLEMEN

>Frank Caliendo

>Bill

Mujibar and Sirajul?
Paul Sr. and Jr. Teutal?

R H Draney

Jul 23, 2008, 9:43:18 PM7/23/08
Maybe filted:

>On Jul 23, 12:08=EF=BF=BDpm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>> One I think has only been on one time, but really seemed to annoy Dave bi=

>g-time,
>> was Marilyn vos Savant....
>
>Didn't she ask him out while she was on the show? Dave seemed to be
>annoyed by that whole lthing.

Seems like an odd thing for her to do...she's been married since 1987 to Dr
Robert Jarvik of artificial-heart fame....

>Although my appearances with animals can seem a little haphazard, we
>always have everything under control. ...

Does that include the time the squirrel chowed down on the cricket that preceded
it out?...r

Justi...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2008, 9:55:33 PM7/23/08

Definitely....Martin Short and Don Rickles to add to the list.

katycren

Jul 23, 2008, 10:29:41 PM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 9:29 pm, iamh2o...@webtv.net (Steve Curtis) wrote:

Not a terribly frequent guest, but one Dave always seems to enjoy.
Didn't Dave pronounced him the "coolest guest ever"?
Johnny Depp, of course.

Would Depp qualify as a favorite?

Kate

Helen Read

Jul 23, 2008, 11:15:57 PM7/23/08
Steve Curtis wrote:
>> GENTLEMEN
>
>> Tom Brokaw
>> Bill Murray
>> Billy Crystal
>> Harrison Ford
>> Tom Hanks
>> Regis
>> Bruce Willis
>> Jack Hanna (sort of)
>> Bay Area Bob Sarlatte
>
> The late Tony Randall?
> Nathan Lane?
> Martin Short?
> Robin Williams?
> Don Rickles?

The late Warren Zevon

--
HPR

http://homepages.together.net/~hpr/daveorama/

Brad Hill

Jul 24, 2008, 12:11:33 AM7/24/08
On Jul 23, 5:59 pm, Gary <garycolin_cliff...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Howard Stern. Dave has always been a big fan of Howard, and always
> seems to get a kick out of him, and give him three segments.

Stern's takeover segment, when he grilled Dave about not getting
married, was classic.

Brad

Maybe

Jul 24, 2008, 12:32:13 AM7/24/08
On Jul 23, 5:43�pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> Maybe filted:

> >Didn't she ask him out while she was on the show? �Dave seemed to be
> >annoyed by that whole lthing.
>
> Seems like an odd thing for her to do...she's been married since 1987 to Dr
> Robert Jarvik of artificial-heart fame....

She married the heart guy after her appearance on Late Night. She was
on Late Night on March 11, 1986. I even found a transcript of her
appearance:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.letterman/browse_thread/thread/474df80a8e4c3c8c/f86b2560f6fafdca?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=jarvik%2C+heart+guy#f86b2560f6fafdca

or
http://tinyurl.com/5uuxy8

Maybe...it is pretty interesting

Steve Curtis

Jul 24, 2008, 12:22:09 AM7/24/08
"Helen Read" wrote:

>Steve Curtis wrote:

>>>GENTLEMEN

>>>Tom Brokaw
>>>Bill Murray
>>>Billy Crystal
>>>Harrison Ford
>>>Tom Hanks
>>>Regis
>>>Bruce Willis
>>>Jack Hanna (sort of)
>>>Bay Area Bob Sarlatte

>>The late Tony Randall?
>>Nathan Lane?
>>Martin Short?
>>Robin Williams?
>>Don Rickles?

>The late Warren Zevon

The late George Miller?
Not sure if the late George Carlin would be included.

R H Draney

Jul 24, 2008, 12:40:15 AM7/24/08
Maybe filted:

>She married the heart guy after her appearance on Late Night. She was
>on Late Night on March 11, 1986. I even found a transcript of her
>appearance:
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.letterman/browse_thread/thread/474df=
>80a8e4c3c8c/f86b2560f6fafdca?hl=3Den&lnk=3Dgst&q=3Djarvik%2C+heart+guy#f86b=

>2560f6fafdca
>
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/5uuxy8
>
>Maybe...it is pretty interesting

Without actually reading it, let's check my memory:

She tries to teach Dave how to count to ten in Japanese....

How'd I do?...r

R H Draney

Jul 24, 2008, 12:42:35 AM7/24/08
Justi...@gmail.com filted:

>Definitely....Martin Short and Don Rickles to add to the list.

Couple of guys who fit in so well they've become regulars:

Jeff Altman
Johnny Dark
Jay Thomas

(And once again I ask: where the hell is Shannon Eis?)...r

Brady

Jul 24, 2008, 12:49:14 AM7/24/08
R H Draney wrote:

> Justi...@gmail.com filted:
>> Definitely....Martin Short and Don Rickles to add to the list.
>
> Couple of guys who fit in so well they've become regulars:
>
> Jeff Altman
> Johnny Dark
> Jay Thomas
>
> (And once again I ask: where the hell is Shannon Eis?)...r

She'll be on tomorrow night (Thursday)!

(Tonight they promo'ed a 'Summer Toys Demonstration' for tomorrow. I
assume she'll be the demonstrator.)

Brady

Alan Page

Jul 24, 2008, 12:48:39 AM7/24/08

"Maybe" wrote...
> ...or
http://tinyurl.com/5uuxy8

> Maybe...it is pretty interesting

With a still-alive link to the LimoLadies...

http://members.aol.com/stevetimko/

I ask again...where's Timko?

Donz5

Jul 24, 2008, 12:59:23 AM7/24/08
On Jul 24, 12:32 am, Maybe <Maybeso...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 5:43�pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > Maybe filted:
>
> > >Didn't she ask him out while she was on the show? �Dave seemed to be
> > >annoyed by that whole lthing.
>
> > Seems like an odd thing for her to do...she's been married since 1987 to Dr
> > Robert Jarvik of artificial-heart fame....
>
> She married the heart guy after her appearance on Late Night.  She was
> on Late Night on March 11, 1986.  I even found a transcript of her
> appearance:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.letterman/browse_thread/thread...
>
> orhttp://tinyurl.com/5uuxy8
>
> Maybe...it is pretty interesting

Good times -- before Cyber met his maker.

Steve Curtis

Jul 24, 2008, 1:56:59 AM7/24/08
"R H Draney" wrote:

>Couple of guys who fit in so well they've
>become regulars:

>    Jeff Altman
>  Johnny Dark
>  Jay Thomas

Don't forget Lyle the intern. :)

sea...@altavista.com

Jul 24, 2008, 6:50:58 AM7/24/08
On Jul 23, 9:11 am, dyo...@ksu.edu wrote:
> Brady's synopsis and Tom Wolper's comment on Amanda Peet ("She
> certainly brought out the best in Dave.") got me thinking.
>
> Did everyone notice how Dave whined when Amanda said she needed to
> depart? This brings me to the question: Who are Dave's favorite
> guests? Anyone want to play? I don't necessarily mean the most
> frequent guests, although I'm sure there's an effort to book Dave's
> favorites.
>
> I'm thinking:
>
> LADIES

He always raves about Cate Blanchett when she's on.

> GENTLEMEN

I think he appreciates that Steve Martin usually brings something
extra to his appearances. He usually gets a kick out of Will Smith.
I can also remember a long-ago time when he really seemed to enjoy
visits from Jay Leno.

Tom W

Jul 24, 2008, 11:58:25 AM7/24/08
Steve Curtis wrote:

> Not sure if the late George Carlin would be included.

Carlin refused to do standup on network TV in his later years. He could sit with
Tom Snyder or Charlie Rose and talk about comedy and his career, but he wouldn't
perform. From Dave Yoder's logs, I find Carlin's last LS standup (and last
appearance) at 11/16/01.

I get the impression that Carlin didn't hang out with other comics. You know who
Dave hung out with back in his Comedy Store days and I don't see anybody who was
in a crowd like that for Carlin. Some of it is due to the fact that he was older
and broke in the sixties and was already established by the times the comedy
clubs started in the seventies.

So I wouldn't call Carlin a favorite guest. I'm sure that Dave respected him,
and George respected Dave, but there was no special chemistry there.

Tom W

R H Draney

Jul 24, 2008, 12:14:27 PM7/24/08
sea...@altavista.com filted:

>He always raves about Cate Blanchett when she's on.

Every time Kate Beckinsale is on, he calls her "Ket Baconsale"....

Okay, maybe not *every* time, but he's done it on two separate occasions....r

Justi...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2008, 12:35:22 PM7/24/08
Was Bill Murray mentioned? Or Steve Martin? It's obvious there's a
comraderie between these guys when they're on the show...

Donz5

Jul 24, 2008, 12:51:50 PM7/24/08

Of Carlin's 19 LNwDL appearances (from 1984 to 1992), all were
homebase only.

Of Carlin's eight LS appearances, five of them included a stand-up
routine:

January 13, 1994: Stand-Up and Homebase
October 28, 1994: Homebase only
September 26,1995: Homebase only
June 16, 1997: Stand-Up and Homebase
June 5, 1998: Stand-Up and Homebase
November 25, 1999 Stand-Up and Homebase
March 26, 2001: Homebase only
November 16, 2001: Stand-up only

So, at least with Dave's show(s), Carlin did no stand-ups throughout
the mid-80s and early-90s, but returned to doing them on LS.

Bill Kawalec

Jul 24, 2008, 1:26:06 PM7/24/08

<Justi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Was Bill Murray mentioned? Or Steve Martin? It's obvious there's a
> comraderie between these guys when they're on the show...

I think Dave also connects well with Morgan Freeman. And the one time I saw
Dustin Hoffman on the show, they seemed to be mutually amused.

.

Jul 24, 2008, 1:34:40 PM7/24/08
<dyo...@ksu.edu> wrote in message

> Brady's synopsis and Tom Wolper's comment on Amanda Peet ("She
> certainly brought out the best in Dave.") got me thinking.
>
> Did everyone notice how Dave whined when Amanda said she needed to
> depart? This brings me to the question: Who are Dave's favorite
> guests? Anyone want to play? I don't necessarily mean the most
> frequent guests, although I'm sure there's an effort to book Dave's
> favorites.
>
> I'm thinking:
>
> LADIES
>
> Amanda Peet
> Julia Roberts
> Sarah Jessica Parker
> Amy Sideris
> Barbara Walters
> Isabella Rossellini
> Teri Hatcher
> Natalie Portman
> Danica Patrick ?
> Elizabeth Berkley (lap dance)
> Drew Barrymore (naughty dance)
> Should we include Charlize Theron now?
> Perhaps Dave's all-time favorite: Darlene Love

> GENTLEMEN
>
> Tom Brokaw
> Bill Murray
> Billy Crystal
> Harrison Ford
> Tom Hanks
> Regis
> Bruce Willis
> Jack Hanna (sort of)
> Bay Area Bob Sarlatte
>
> Obviously this has evolved over the years, as we rarely see Marv
> Albert, Mary Tyler Moore, Marilu Henner or Elle Macpherson anymore.
>
> I wonder how much my own preferences are influencing my guesswork on
> Dave.
>
> Or, you could go the other direction and opine on who give Dave the
> biggest tummyaches; for example:
>
> Andy Dick
> Harvey Pekar
> Richard Simmons
> Madonna
> Charles Grodin
> Spencer Pratt ?
>

> David D
>
> DDY's Late Show Fan Page
> http://www.ddy.com/dl3.html

More in the role of character than guest, there were
also "Gruff but loveable Gus" (the forklift driver) and
Larry "Bud" Melman (aka Calvert DeForest) whom
he appeared to display a fondness toward ;^)

Coggy13

Jul 24, 2008, 3:19:21 PM7/24/08
On Jul 23, 3:16 pm, Maybe <Maybeso...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 12:08�pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > One I think has only been on one time, but really seemed to annoy Dave big-time,
> > was Marilyn vos Savant....

> Didn't she ask him out while she was on the show?  Dave seemed to be
> annoyed by that whole lthing.

If I recall correctly Dave asked her to say something intelligent and
she replied with something like, "What are you doing later?" The
interview was going poorly from the start so I hardly thought Dave
truly wanted her to impart some wisdom. It's as if he were a guest on
a show and the host said, "Say something funny." It's a condescending
request.

Coggy13

Jul 24, 2008, 3:28:15 PM7/24/08
On Jul 24, 12:19 pm, Coggy13 <Galvin.Gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I recall correctly Dave asked her to say something intelligent and
> she replied with something like, "What are you doing later?" The
> interview was going poorly from the start so I hardly thought Dave
> truly wanted her to impart some wisdom. It's as if he were a guest on
> a show and the host said, "Say something funny." It's a condescending
> request.

Ok, in looking back at the transcript, I didn't recall all that
correctly. She kind of brought a lot of it on herself.

I think it's safe to say they never threw baseballs at targets
together on Saturday nights.

Gary

Jul 24, 2008, 4:17:39 PM7/24/08
Folks, this thread is losing focus. Every guest is getting a mention.

How about everyone nominate just one guest you think is Daves all time
favourite?

I say, all told, Regis!

Gary

Marilyn

Jul 24, 2008, 4:34:29 PM7/24/08

Some guy named Johnny.

Tom W

Jul 24, 2008, 6:45:44 PM7/24/08

Paul Newman.

R H Draney

Jul 24, 2008, 7:01:22 PM7/24/08
Tom W filted:

Dorothy Letterman....r

R H Draney

Jul 25, 2008, 3:51:36 AM7/25/08
R H Draney filted:

>(And once again I ask: where the hell is Shannon Eis?)...r

Ah!...fulfillment at last!...

I saw "Summer Toys" in the list of upcoming shows and assumed it was the name of
some obscure indie band....r

ThatOtherGuy

Jul 25, 2008, 3:56:50 AM7/25/08

Without a doubt, Carson. Dave said many times, he was most nervous and
honored when Johnny was on both shows.

Also, probably Walter Cronkite was a big deal to him, though i think
he was on only once.

Everyone else has been mentioned, and it really depends how you define
"favorite" ?

N'est-ce pas ?

ThatOtherGuy

Jul 25, 2008, 4:02:46 AM7/25/08

Also, perhaps, some woman named Merrill...

I know I enjoyed that first visit, freakin' hysterical that was

Ex-gal pal and Mr. Funny

"He never stops being funny, 24 hours a day, it's really incredible.
You know I can't shut it off, it;'s a gift"... LOL

pfl...@mac.com

Jul 25, 2008, 8:41:18 AM7/25/08
ThatOtherGuy wrote:
> Also, perhaps, some woman named Merrill...
> I know I enjoyed that first visit, freakin' hysterical that was

Thanks for the reminder about Merrill; that was an absolute favorite
show.
Thanks to DDY's good work, we can see it again here:
http://www.k-statecats.com/dl29_Merrill_10-10-94.mov

foxysc...@yahoo.com

Jul 26, 2008, 11:20:51 AM7/26/08

I would put Bruce Willis in the Top Ten.

Sally

Jul 26, 2008, 3:39:48 PM7/26/08
On Jul 23, 9:43�pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> Maybe filted:
>

> >On Jul 23, 12:08=EF=BF=BDpm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> >> One I think has only been on one time, but really seemed to annoy Dave bi=

> >g-time,
> >> was Marilyn vos Savant....
>
> >Didn't she ask him out while she was on the show? �Dave seemed to be
> >annoyed by that whole lthing.
>
> Seems like an odd thing for her to do...she's been married since 1987 to Dr
> Robert Jarvik of artificial-heart fame....
>
> >Although my appearances with animals can seem a little haphazard, we
> >always have everything under control. ...
>
> Does that include the time the squirrel chowed down on the cricket that preceded
> it out?...r

> --
> Evelyn Wood just looks at the pictures.

I may be wrong, but I detected annoyance with Ted Koppel on one
occasion, and after that Dave only had him back once or twice. That
was way before Ted lost NIGHTLINE, but I noticed that Ted kept trying
to top Dave in making jokes and it became annoying.

So...on the pain-in-the-ass list, I'd add Ted Koppel. He hasn't been
on in a long time.

As for Kathie Lee, I'd have to put her in the favorites list, since
he's always invoking her memory by calling Regis "Regis Lee," and
Kelly Ripa, "Kelly Lee," lest we forget Kathie Lee. It pains me to
write it, but I think he has a fondness there for her. He will not let
us forget there was once a "Lee" in the battlefield.

On bad list: Ted Koppel
On good list: Kathie Lee.

Sally

R H Draney

Jul 26, 2008, 9:45:29 PM7/26/08
Sally filted:

>As for Kathie Lee, I'd have to put her in the favorites list, since
>he's always invoking her memory by calling Regis "Regis Lee," and
>Kelly Ripa, "Kelly Lee," lest we forget Kathie Lee. It pains me to
>write it, but I think he has a fondness there for her. He will not let
>us forget there was once a "Lee" in the battlefield.
>
>On bad list: Ted Koppel
>On good list: Kathie Lee.

If we consolidate all the suggestions, that means Howard Stern and Kathie Lee
Gifford are on the same team....

Boggle, mind, boggle!...r

Message has been deleted