Tues. 3/24, Wed. 3/25 Big Show Synopses

Brady

Mar 26, 2009, 1:10:48 AM3/26/09
Hey, how's it goin'? Here we go ...

- Tuesday, March 24, 2009 -

*DESK CHAT HIGHLIGHTS*
Desk chat highlights included:

- Dave talking about the Ball State University women's basketball
team. Over the weekend, the Cardinals advanced to the second round of
the NCAA women's basketball tournament, beating two-time defending
champion Tennessee, 71-55.

- A new episode of 'At Home with the Madoffs.'

- Cameraman Dave Dorsett's 'message' ... to Dave's wife.

After the break, we had a Top Ten List -- 'Reasons I Got Married.'

*MARY TYLER MOORE*
She was lovely. It was good to see her. The book is "Growing Up Again:
Life, Loves, and Oh Yeah, Diabetes."

*BLAKE LIVELY*
She's on "Gossip Girl." It airs on something called the CW Television
Network.
--------

- Wednesday, March 25, 2009 -

*DESK CHAT HIGHLIGHTS*
Desk chat highlights included:

- A new episode of 'At Home with the Madoffs.' Now what's the music
they use in the opening of this? I think it's from an old sitcom or
something.

- A batch of 'Fun Facts.'

When Dave threw stuff through the window tonight, we heard transmissions
from Lt. Len Easton of the California Highway Patrol.

After the break, we had a Top Ten List -- 'Signs You Work for a Bad
Company.'

*CHRISTINA APPLEGATE*
The show is "Samantha Who?" It returns tonight (Thursday, March 26) at
8:30 PM ET on ABC.

*JIM GAFFIGAN*
His new stand-up special is "King Baby," airing this Sunday, March 29,
at 9:00 PM ET/PT on Comedy Central.

*JESSE HARRIS W/ NORAH JONES*
Harris' album is "Watching the Sky."

*MISCELLANEOUS MEANDERING*
What's happenin', people? I discovered a tick tonight on my back. I hope
I don't get the Rocky Mountain spotted fever or Lyme disease.

Here's something. Someone who lives here near Crescent Springs Village
will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next month.
Keyboardist Lyndon 'Spooner' Oldham will be inducted in the 'sidemen'
category on April 4. He'll be introduced by Paul Shaffer. I may go to
Cleveland for the ceremony. Or I may not. This year's ceremony airs live
on the Fuse network. More info here: www.rockhall.com/induction2009/.

I think I may need to make an appointment for a sleep study. I'm
wondering if I suffer from sleep apnea.

*Apnea* isn't in my spell check program. Suggestions: grapnel,
cheapness, neap, et al. It has *grapnel*, but not *apnea*? That seems odd.

Name of a hummingbird feeder I saw for sale in the supermarket this
evening: Hummers Galore.

I guess that's all I got. I'm going to go to bed soon.

Bye.

Brady

dsi...@yahoo.com

Mar 26, 2009, 3:42:57 AM3/26/09
On Mar 25, 10:10 pm, Brady <watercl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>   - Dave talking about the Ball State University women's basketball
> team. Over the weekend, the Cardinals advanced to the second round of
> the NCAA women's basketball tournament, beating two-time defending
> champion Tennessee, 71-55.

And promptly lost to Iowa St.

>   - A new episode of 'At Home with the Madoffs.'

Pete Fatovich or not, I'm officially tired of this bit.

>   - Cameraman Dave Dorsett's 'message' ... to Dave's wife.

And this one.

> *MARY TYLER MOORE*
> She was lovely. It was good to see her. The book is "Growing Up Again:
> Life, Loves, and Oh Yeah, Diabetes."

Blah blah blah. She's long past her sell-by date for me.

> *BLAKE LIVELY*

SKNNXXX.

>   - Wednesday, March 25, 2009 -

> When Dave threw stuff through the window tonight, we heard transmissions

> from Lt. Len Easton of the California Highway Patrol.

I get the feeling that they're capable of doing only three bits and
when one particular dead horse is beaten, they drag out one of the
other two. Inexcusable.

> *CHRISTINA APPLEGATE*

Good guest. Smart, funny, and a good actress.

> *JIM GAFFIGAN*

I've really come to hate standup-disguised-as-paneling. If they want
to bring a comic on to do prepared material, just give him or her the
time to perform it properly, rather than make Dave play straight man.

> *JESSE HARRIS W/ NORAH JONES*
> Harris' album is "Watching the Sky."

Nice tune, but dull to hear it repeated over and over and over. And
what was with his movement while playing? Is he autistic or something?

> *MISCELLANEOUS MEANDERING*

> Name of a hummingbird feeder I saw for sale in the supermarket this
> evening: Hummers Galore.

Heh. Brady said "hummers."

--Dave Sikula

Marilyn

Mar 26, 2009, 6:49:08 AM3/26/09
Brady wrote:
> Name of a hummingbird feeder I saw for sale in the supermarket this
> evening: Hummers Galore.

I was watching SpongeBob with my after school kids yesterday. As he left the
classroom of a mean teacher, he said "See you next Tuesday."
Now like Brady, I speak the language of today's youth and I gasped aloud.
The 11 year old asked me why I was shocked and I said "Why not Monday?"
Now to keep David from having to hit the urban dictionary, let me just say
SpongeBob called his teacher a vimy.

Traci

Mar 26, 2009, 8:34:50 AM3/26/09
Dake says...

> > *JIM GAFFIGAN*
>
> I've really come to hate standup-disguised-as-paneling. If they want
> to bring a comic on to do prepared material, just give him or her the
> time to perform it properly, rather than make Dave play straight man.

This is a trend across the board. As if comics aren't capable of having
regular conversations, in which they are funny, without doing written
bits. I HATE it. I know enough comics to know they can absolutely be
funny in casual conversation. It's forced and aggravating. And like
Dake, I would rather see them do a traditional standup rather than
scripted patter.

feh...

Traci
--
"Not only do I want an *elite* president. I want someone who is
embarrassingly superior to me. Somebody who speaks 16 languages and

foxysc...@yahoo.com

Mar 26, 2009, 9:45:48 AM3/26/09

I do not speak the language of today's youth, so I had to look all of
this up...I go to an exercise class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I've
been pleasantly calling my classmates vimys every Thursday!!!!! Thank
God they're as clueless as I (I hope).

Katy...@aol.com

Mar 26, 2009, 10:09:33 AM3/26/09

I was about to write much the same thing, Shirlee. The only thing I
know about the language of today's youth is what I hear my almost 12-
year-old say. I only hope that when he yells "See you next Tuesday" as
we leave his weekly chorus rehearsal, he doesn't mean anything else.

Kate -- also consulted the urban dictionary

Tom W

Mar 26, 2009, 12:05:02 PM3/26/09
Brady wrote:

> - Cameraman Dave Dorsett's 'message' ... to Dave's wife.

I will give them credit for this. I didn't see the payoff coming.

> *BLAKE LIVELY*
> She's on "Gossip Girl." It airs on something called the CW Television
> Network.

She made Sarah Paulson look good.

Wasn't there a musical guest? I guess '80s music has been gone long enough a
band can become hip by doing a retro-'80s act.

> --------
>
> - Wednesday, March 25, 2009 -
>

> When Dave threw stuff through the window tonight, we heard transmissions
> from Lt. Len Easton of the California Highway Patrol.

I will admit to enjoying watching Dave enjoy it.

> After the break, we had a Top Ten List -- 'Signs You Work for a Bad
> Company.'

The CBSO played Bad Company's "Can't Get Enough" at the end.

> *JIM GAFFIGAN*
> His new stand-up special is "King Baby," airing this Sunday, March 29,
> at 9:00 PM ET/PT on Comedy Central.

He had a good bit going with Conan. I hope they find a way to continue it with
Jim in NY and Conan in CA.

Tom W

Brady

Mar 26, 2009, 2:25:48 PM3/26/09
Dave Sikula wrote:

You and me and Marilyn speak the language of today's youth.

Marilyn and I are also intuitive -- we're *intuitives*, if you will.
Unlike Alan Page.

Alan is not intuitive.

Brady

Brady

Mar 26, 2009, 2:27:49 PM3/26/09
Dave Sikula wrote:

> On Mar 25, 10:10 pm, Brady <watercl...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> *BLAKE LIVELY*
>
> SKNNXXX.

I know we've gone over this, but I still, at first, always think that
means *skank*.

Brady

Brady

Mar 26, 2009, 2:42:36 PM3/26/09
Marilyn wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I was editing an article about some local youth
musicale/showcase/talent show. One of the cutlines described how the
kids put on some music and 'formed a train.'

I was like, 'What?!'

(That was a little too close to 'pull a train' for me.)

I changed it to read, "The kids formed a dance line."

Brady

Marilyn

Mar 26, 2009, 5:02:09 PM3/26/09
Brady wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago, I was editing an article about some local youth
> musicale/showcase/talent show. One of the cutlines described how the kids
> put on some music and 'formed a train.' I was like, 'What?!' (That was a
> little too close to 'pull a train' for me.) I changed it to read, "The
> kids formed a dance line."

From one speaker of the language of today's youth to another.. good call.

Jess Band-ee-Coot

Mar 26, 2009, 5:14:37 PM3/26/09
Tom W wrote:

>> *JIM GAFFIGAN*
>> His new stand-up special is "King Baby," airing this Sunday, March 29,
>> at 9:00 PM ET/PT on Comedy Central.
>
> He had a good bit going with Conan. I hope they find a way to continue
> it with Jim in NY and Conan in CA.

I'm curious if Gaffigan has been approached by the "Hot Pockets"
people to do some advertising for them?
Seems like a match made in heaven.

"Did you ever once show me any kind of friendship?
Ask my help with a personal problem?
Include me in one of your little bull sessions?
Can you imagine what it feels like to walk by this tent
and hear you laughing and know... that I'm not welcome?
Did you ever once offer me a lousy cup of coffee?"
-- Major Margaret Houlihan "M*A*S*H" ("The Nurses")

Kath

Mar 26, 2009, 6:04:20 PM3/26/09

It took me awhile to remember but once I added the image of Dagwood
the fog lifted.

Kath

Kath

Mar 26, 2009, 6:06:56 PM3/26/09
> Kate -- also consulted the urban dictionary- Hide quoted text -

I know what teabagging is because my teens play Halo online, but I too
had to urban dictionary both vimy and see you next tuesday.

Kath - speaking the language more fluent today than yeasterday

Sally

Mar 26, 2009, 6:19:31 PM3/26/09
> Kath - speaking the language more fluent today than yeasterday- Hide quoted text -

I think we're losing the English language, if you vimy my next. Today
I called a credit card company and the first language offered was
Spanish. I had to press a second button to access English. Help! I
understand some Spanish, but that's not the point. English is the
official language of the U.S. I don't want to hear a foreign language
on a menu system when I need information quickly.

Eventually, people with shaky hands who can't feed the credit card
numbers in fast enough will then have to learn a second language, too.
Old folks in the U.S. who only speak English are in deep trouble if
pharmacies start speaking in Spanish and then say, "press another
button for English."

I love the Spanish language. I sing in it. But not on a U.S. telephone
menu system should it come before English.

Sally

Kath

Mar 26, 2009, 7:15:00 PM3/26/09

Que? No intiendo su habla.

Kath

Kath

Mar 26, 2009, 7:18:06 PM3/26/09

entiendo...no entiendo.

excusa me

Kath

Coggy13

Mar 26, 2009, 7:39:49 PM3/26/09
On Mar 26, 12:42 am, dsik...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > *MARY TYLER MOORE*
> > She was lovely. It was good to see her. The book is "Growing Up Again:
> > Life, Loves, and Oh Yeah, Diabetes."
>
> Blah blah blah. She's long past her sell-by date for me.

It warmed the cockles of my heart (and just what I need, hot cockles)
to hear that her marriage is still going after 25 years. I like the
story of how they met. When Mary's mother was sick, her husband-to-be
was her doctor.

"If there's an emergency just get in touch with me."
"Does acute loneliness count?"
'Yes."

Their first date was a few days later.

Brady

Mar 26, 2009, 10:38:12 PM3/26/09
Tom W wrote:

> Brady wrote:
>>
>> - Cameraman Dave Dorsett's 'message' ... to Dave's wife.
>
> I will give them credit for this. I didn't see the payoff coming.
>>
>> *BLAKE LIVELY*
>> She's on "Gossip Girl." It airs on something called the CW Television
>> Network.
>
> She made Sarah Paulson look good.
>
> Wasn't there a musical guest? I guess '80s music has been gone long
> enough a band can become hip by doing a retro-'80s act.

*Was* there a musical act on Tuesday?

Maybe I had a spell.

If I were talking to Maybe(so) right now, I could say, 'Maybe I had a
spell, Maybe.'

Or if I *did* have a spell, I could say, 'Maybe, I had a spell.'

I know I'm just talking to myself right now.

>> - Wednesday, March 25, 2009 -
>>
>> When Dave threw stuff through the window tonight, we heard
>> transmissions from Lt. Len Easton of the California Highway Patrol.
>
> I will admit to enjoying watching Dave enjoy it.

Check.

Brady

Alan Page

Mar 26, 2009, 10:50:58 PM3/26/09

"Brady" wrote...

> *Was* there a musical act on Tuesday?

According to the reliable LSQG...White Lies (Music).

--

Alan

www.best-page.us

www.wfp.org

~WWWWW~
What a Wonderful Web We Weave

Just a viewer

Mar 27, 2009, 12:16:24 AM3/27/09

The tabloids have been buzzing for a while that MTM is nearly blind
because of diabetes. I swear when she came out she bumped into Dave,
who had come out to greet her. It also looked like she was going to
miss hitting the chair until he steered her into it. If it's true,
it's so sad. You don't ever want to see Laura Petrie/Mary Richards get
old and infirm.

R H Draney

Mar 27, 2009, 2:02:25 AM3/27/09
Just a viewer filted:

>On Mar 26, 10:50=A0pm, "Alan Page" <alp...@spamsucceed.net> wrote:
>
>The tabloids have been buzzing for a while that MTM is nearly blind
>because of diabetes. I swear when she came out she bumped into Dave,
>who had come out to greet her. It also looked like she was going to
>miss hitting the chair until he steered her into it. If it's true,
>it's so sad. You don't ever want to see Laura Petrie/Mary Richards get
>old and infirm.

Failing eyesight is certainly the way I read it...while she's never made a
secret of her diabetes, she seems to be brushing this latest manifestation of it
aside....

That's not how you handle any sort of life-changing problems when you're a
public figure...you *know* people are going to talk about it and make up their
own theories, so the best thing is to acknowledge it, answer whatever questions
you're asked (with the idea that your experiences may help someone facing
similar troubles), and if it fits your personality, go ahead and have fun with
it...Christina Applegate just gave us an example of how this works when it's
done right, and the standard to which everyone else can aspire was set by Warren
Zevon....

This is what Paris Hilton keeps doing wrong...sure, she comes on Dave's show
every time something negative happens in her life (the sex video, the feud with
Nicole Richie, the prison sentence), and kudos to her for doing so...but then
she makes a point of avoiding talking about the very thing Dave wants to know
about, and she loses whatever respect-points might be coming her way for facing
adversity...you *know* what he's going to ask (he actually *enjoys* hearing
about such things), so figure out a couple of punchy stories ahead of time and
don't just sit there like Joaquin Phoenix and whine about how you don't want to
discuss it....r

--
A pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
An optometrist asks whether you see the glass

Sally

Mar 27, 2009, 2:15:26 AM3/27/09

I'm with you on the talking to myself stage, Bradykins. I was just
wondering what mysterious twist of fate brought this particular group
of people together. Why each of us...here...to what end?

Is it mere coincidence, or (forgive me for saying this,) part of some
divine plan? Have we all met before in past lives? It's obvious we're
here to love and help each other. But the fighting? It's like a
dysfunctional family. Hi, Mom, Hi, Sis, Hi, Bro, Hi, Grandma, et al.
David just said that Tarzan got vine burn on his nuts? Hey...with
Thursday's show glasses, he looks like Sigmund Freud without a beard.
Could we all have been his patients? It would explain a lot.

Speaking of Mary Tyler Moore...I didn't want to tell you, but I pulled
a Foxy while she was on. I know, I know. Who gives a rat's ass?

Yo hablo un poco ingles. Press 1 for German, 2 for French, 3 for
Creole, 4 for Croatian, 5 for English, and #6 for The Prisoner, the
late Patrick McGoohan.

Sally aka The Translator

Brady

Mar 27, 2009, 2:43:13 PM3/27/09
Sally wrote:

<snip>

Well, *I* wandered into AFL because there'd been a story floating around
for several years about Donald Trump being a guest on the Show.

Supposedly, Dave asked Donald something like, 'If you had to do it all
over again, what would you do?'

Trump said, 'I'd get into multi-level marketing.'

Then the audience booed. Trump responded by saying, 'That's why *you're*
out *there* and *I'm* up *here*.'

If it happened, it probably happened sometime between 2002-2005.

Also, I came for the Gentonism; I stayed for the snacks.

Brady

foxysc...@yahoo.com

Mar 29, 2009, 8:21:09 PM3/29/09

> *MARY TYLER MOORE*
> She was lovely. It was good to see her. The book is "Growing Up Again:
> Life, Loves, and Oh Yeah, Diabetes."

Wasn't Mary supposed to bring a joke with her? I still tell the one
about the humping dog that she told Dave years ago.

> .
>

> *>

> Name of a hummingbird feeder I saw for sale in the supermarket this
> evening: Hummers Galore.

I wonder how that guy is who wore th hummingbird contraption on his
head so he could watch them close up.
That was one of the funniest things Dave ever showed.

Brady

Apr 7, 2009, 8:59:06 PM4/7/09
Marilyn wrote:

Hey, Marilyn - Just now on the phone, my dad said to me, "A woman called
asking if we were aware of the upcoming local tea bag party." (She was
wanting us to write an article about it for the paper.)

I don't know if she actually said 'tea bag party,' or if my dad just
added the 'bag' part.

Whatever the case, I chuckled; it was a cross between a schoolgirl
giggle and a Beavis & Butthead laugh.

Brady

Marilyn

Apr 8, 2009, 6:55:28 AM4/8/09
Brady wrote:
> Hey, Marilyn - Just now on the phone, my dad said to me, "A woman called
> asking if we were aware of the upcoming local tea bag party." (She was
> wanting us to write an article about it for the paper.)
> I don't know if she actually said 'tea bag party,' or if my dad just added
> the 'bag' part.
> Whatever the case, I chuckled; it was a cross between a schoolgirl giggle
> and a Beavis & Butthead laugh.

Ha! That's great. Did you RSVP?