"Late Show 2010 in Review"

DDY

Jan 1, 2011, 2:42:42 PM1/1/11
Hello, earth people, and happy 2011, no matter how it's pronounced.

I've slapped together a few of my thoughts on the fine year just past
at 1697 Broadway.

If your life has sunk to a new low and you have absolutely nothing
else to do, you can look at my essay for free at:
http://www.ddy.com/dl_2010_in_review.html

And now, let's saddle up the ponies and ride like the wind!

David D

DDY's Late Show Fan Page
http://www.ddy.com/dl3.html

CarWash Mike

Jan 1, 2011, 3:06:25 PM1/1/11

Apparently my life has sunk even lower than I thought. Reading that
was the most fun I've had in a month. Outstanding David.

CarWash Mike

Rod Fernandez

Jan 1, 2011, 3:49:45 PM1/1/11

My life is better after reading that. Plus it was free. I like free stuff!

Thanks DDY!

Donz5

Jan 1, 2011, 4:35:52 PM1/1/11

Excellent!

DDY

Jan 1, 2011, 4:37:13 PM1/1/11
On Jan 1, 2:49 pm, Rod Fernandez <ro...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My life is better after reading that. Plus it was free. I like free stuff!
> Thanks DDY!

Thank you, Doctor! I'm glad I didn't put you to sleep with it. Happy
2011.

lpfeffa

Jan 1, 2011, 4:57:30 PM1/1/11

It's not that I have absolutely nothing else to do; it's
that I'm trying to avoid doing it. <sigh>

I know! I'll go follow your link and spend a few hours. ;-)

-- Lucy

Helen Read

Jan 1, 2011, 9:26:38 PM1/1/11
On 1/1/2011 2:42 PM, DDY wrote:
> Hello, earth people, and happy 2011, no matter how it's pronounced.
>
> I've slapped together a few of my thoughts on the fine year just past
> at 1697 Broadway.
>
> If your life has sunk to a new low and you have absolutely nothing
> else to do, you can look at my essay for free at:
> http://www.ddy.com/dl_2010_in_review.html
>
> And now, let's saddle up the ponies and ride like the wind!

That was excellent, David. You should consider posting LS Week in Review
right here on the AFL.

--
HPR

R H Draney

Jan 1, 2011, 9:47:41 PM1/1/11
DDY filted:

>Hello, earth people, and happy 2011, no matter how it's pronounced.
>
>I've slapped together a few of my thoughts on the fine year just past
>at 1697 Broadway.
>
>If your life has sunk to a new low and you have absolutely nothing
>else to do, you can look at my essay for free at:
>http://www.ddy.com/dl_2010_in_review.html

<Excerpt for reference purposes:>
After the spectacular success of Paul McCartney's concert on the marquee of the
Ed Sullivan Theater on July 15, 2009, CBS knew they were onto something great.
Unfortunately (or maybe not), the City of New York denied a permit for Jay-Z and
Eminem to play on the marquee on June 25, 2010. No problem. Dave decided to take
it to the roof of the theater, about 14 stories above Broadway.
</excerpt>

As Paul pointed out the night he played on the marquee, he had already done a
concert on a rooftop....

Also, you missed the best part of Joe Grossman's appearances: he never seems to
know which way he's supposed to exit....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Alan Page

Jan 1, 2011, 10:51:09 PM1/1/11
DDY wrote:
>> If your life has sunk to a new low and you have absolutely nothing
>> else to do, you can look at my essay for free at:
>> http://www.ddy.com/dl_2010_in_review.html

Nice work.

"Helen Read" wrote...

> That was excellent, David. You should consider posting LS Week in Review
> right here on the AFL.

I'm weary of David burning out on a weekly posting, but if he can
maintain it along with his regular excellent work, go for it.

He does have his episode site available now anyway.

Maybe just a link posting would be suitable for direction.

--

Alan

www.best-page.us

www.wfp.org

~WWWWW~
What a Wonderful Web We Weave

Sally

Jan 2, 2011, 4:23:50 PM1/2/11

David, I join everyone else in saying thanks, except I'm a bit queasy
going over all of it again. I think I had too much soda on New Year's
Eve. All your work is appreciated. Happy New Year.

Sally

Sally

Jan 2, 2011, 4:26:05 PM1/2/11
On Jan 1, 2:42 pm, DDY <dyo...@ksu.edu> wrote:

Oh, and btw, I'm saying twenty eleven.

How else do you say it? Two thousand eleven?

Sally

Steve Curtis

Jan 2, 2011, 5:18:36 PM1/2/11
"Sally" wrote:

>Oh, and btw, I'm saying twenty eleven.

>How else do you say it? Two thousand
>eleven?

You could say (and write) MMXI.

Twibil

Jan 2, 2011, 6:36:33 PM1/2/11

Sally's a bit agoraphobic, so she doesn't do much Roman.

Steve Curtis

Jan 2, 2011, 7:42:19 PM1/2/11
"Twibil" wrote:

>(Steve Curtis) wrote:

>>"Sally" wrote:

>>>Oh, and btw, I'm saying twenty
>>>eleven.

>>>How else do you say it? Two thousand
>>>eleven?

>>You could say (and write) MMXI.

>Sally's a bit agoraphobic, so she doesn't
>do much Roman.

Other alternatives, "Twenty hundred eleven," or in binary notation,
"11111011011." She has many choices.

R H Draney

Jan 2, 2011, 9:13:39 PM1/2/11
Steve Curtis filted:

Guy in another newsgroup said he talked a group of Seventh-Day Adventists into
changing their abbreviation from "SDA" to "7DA", then discovered that was
hexadecimal for 2010....r

Sally

Jan 3, 2011, 1:03:20 AM1/3/11
> Yeah, right.- Hide quoted text -

Y'know, I thought it was a fairly straightforward question. Maybe I
should wait for Dave's Hebrew calendar year.

Sally, who doesn't do much Roman ;)

Twibil

Jan 3, 2011, 1:24:01 AM1/3/11
On Jan 2, 4:42 pm, iamh2o...@webtv.net (Steve Curtis) wrote:

> >>You could say (and write) MMXI.
>
> >Sally's a bit agoraphobic, so she doesn't
> >do much Roman.
>
> Other alternatives, "Twenty hundred eleven," or in binary notation,
> "11111011011." She has many choices.

Not very big on this "humor" stuff, huh?

R H Draney

Jan 3, 2011, 2:11:32 AM1/3/11
Sally filted:

>On Jan 2, 9:13=A0pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>> Steve Curtis filted:

>> >Other alternatives, "Twenty hundred eleven," or in binary notation,
>> >"11111011011." She has many choices.
>>
>> Guy in another newsgroup said he talked a group of Seventh-Day Adventists=

> into
>> changing their abbreviation from "SDA" to "7DA", then discovered that was
>> hexadecimal for 2010....r
>
>Y'know, I thought it was a fairly straightforward question. Maybe I
>should wait for Dave's Hebrew calendar year.
>
>Sally, who doesn't do much Roman ;)

Just say "this year goes to eleven"....r

Steve Curtis

Jan 3, 2011, 2:14:16 AM1/3/11
"Twibil" wrote:

>>>Sally's a bit agoraphobic, so she
>>>doesn't do much Roman.

>>Other alternatives, "Twenty hundred
>>eleven," or in binary notation,
>>"11111011011." She has many choices.

>Not very big on this "humor" stuff, huh?

Not very big on alternative points of view, huh?

That Tune

Jan 3, 2011, 2:38:01 AM1/3/11
"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

Reminds me: why do programmers often confuse
Halloween for Christmas? Because OCT 31 = DEC 25.

foxysc...@yahoo.com

Jan 3, 2011, 11:53:37 AM1/3/11
On Jan 3, 2:38 am, "That Tune" <BoughtIntel@$10.bus> wrote:
> "R H Draney" <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote in messagenews:ifrbc...@drn.newsguy.com...
> Halloween for Christmas? Because OCT 31 = DEC 25.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you David!!! My time was well spent watching your splendid,
thorough year in review.
As my Christmas decorations sat waiting to be taken down.

eric belletynee

Jan 3, 2011, 12:02:43 PM1/3/11
> As my Christmas decorations sat waiting to be taken down.- Hide quoted text -

gee and I thought that the conversion was 3733 for
7DB...Christmas...aren't we looking a Valentines Day or something

Sally

Jan 3, 2011, 1:08:56 PM1/3/11
> Yeah, right.- Hide quoted text -

I'd sound like a dealer at a roulette wheel. ;) Two thousand eleven
was just mentioned on Susan Lucci's soap opera, whatever the heck the
name of it is. Oh, "All Mine Children."

Sally

Twibil

Jan 3, 2011, 4:32:16 PM1/3/11
On Jan 2, 11:11 pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Just say "this year goes to eleven"....r

Good one!..............Which means it's automatically going to be
better than the one that only went to ten!

(Interesting bit of guitarist trivia: for quite some time after the
movie came out, various companies were selling amp knobs that went to
eleven. They may even still be available, but I haven't checked
recently.)

~Pete

Twibil

Jan 3, 2011, 4:34:22 PM1/3/11
On Jan 2, 11:14 pm, iamh2o...@webtv.net (Steve Curtis) wrote:

> Not very big on alternative points of view, huh?

Yeah, *that* must be it.

(Insert sounds of irony meters exploding en masse.)

Twibil

Jan 3, 2011, 4:38:11 PM1/3/11
On Jan 3, 10:08 am, Sally <SallyDr...@aol.com> wrote:

> I'd sound like a dealer at a roulette wheel. ;) Two thousand eleven
> was just mentioned on Susan Lucci's soap opera, whatever the heck the
> name of it is. Oh, "All Mine Children."

Sounds like a script written by a trapped Clilean.

Steve Curtis

Jan 3, 2011, 5:36:19 PM1/3/11
"Twibil" wrote:

>(Steve Curtis) wrote:

>>Not very big on alternative points of
>>view, huh?

>Yeah, *that* must be it.

>(Insert sounds of irony meters exploding
>en masse.)

Once again, the self-absorbed ego is revealed. Pity.

brian henke

Jan 3, 2011, 7:16:00 PM1/3/11
On Jan 1, 2:42 pm, DDY <dyo...@ksu.edu> wrote:
> Hello, earth people, and happy 2011, no matter how it's pronounced.
>
> I've slapped together a few of my thoughts on the fine year just past
> at 1697 Broadway.
>
> If your life has sunk to a new low and you have absolutely nothing
> else to do, you can look at my essay for free at:http://www.ddy.com/dl_2010_in_review.html
>
> And now, let's saddle up the ponies and ride like the wind!
>
> David D
>
> DDY's Late Show Fan Pagehttp://www.ddy.com/dl3.html

After WKRC kept JIPing Dave, I had to e-mail them and say that they
were cutting into the show. The good news, my friends, is that they
have pretty much stopped doing that. Hopefully, this will continue
into 2011.

Now here are some words of wisdom from our good friend Dr. Phil:

"You don't want a flake."

Cincy...@aol.com

-----------

"The Godfather Part II. Holy moley." - David Letterman

Twibil

Jan 3, 2011, 7:38:49 PM1/3/11
On Jan 3, 2:36 pm, iamh2o...@webtv.net (Steve Curtis) wrote:

> Once again, the self-absorbed ego is revealed. Pity.

Gee, I'd have *sworn* that you were the guy who was whining so
regularly about "amateur psychoanalysis".

Must have been some other Steve Curtis.

Steve Curtis

Jan 3, 2011, 8:26:12 PM1/3/11
"Twibil" wrote:

>(Steve Curtis) wrote:

>>Once again, the self-absorbed ego is
>>revealed. Pity.

>Gee, I'd have *sworn* that you were the
>guy who was whining so regularly about
>"amateur psychoanalysis".

>Must have been some other Steve
>Curtis.

Well, let's see "Twibster," this is what you posted:

>(Steve Curtis) wrote:

>>Not very big on alternative points of
>>view, huh?

>Yeah, *that* must be it.

>(Insert sounds of irony meters exploding
>en masse.)

Not being very "big" on alternate viewpoints would seem to indicate a
measure of self-absorption on your part. Let open-mindedness be your
friend.

Sally

Jan 3, 2011, 9:50:11 PM1/3/11

Let's hear what Dave says tonight about the year. You meant Chilean,
right? Clilean sounds like a race from Star Trek.

Sally

Twibil

Jan 4, 2011, 1:13:36 AM1/4/11
On Jan 3, 5:26 pm, iamh2o...@webtv.net (Steve Curtis) wrote:

> Well, let's see "Twibster," this is what you posted:

"Twibster". The five-year-old Stevie strikes yet again, while at the
same time assuming his own intellectual superiority.

The sound of exploding hypocrisy meters is becoming practically your
theme song, Stevie.

Twibil

Jan 4, 2011, 1:16:12 AM1/4/11
On Jan 3, 6:50 pm, Sally <SallyDr...@aol.com> wrote:

> Let's hear what Dave says tonight about the year. You meant Chilean,
> right? Clilean sounds like a race from Star Trek.

Sure. Missed an "h" while typing.

That's what I get for using more than one finger.

~Pete

Steve Curtis

Jan 4, 2011, 2:21:55 AM1/4/11
"Twibil" wrote:

>(Steve Curtis) wrote:

>>Well, let's see "Twibster," this is what
>>you posted:

>"Twibster". The five-year-old Stevie
>strikes yet again, while at the same time
>assuming his own intellectual superiority.

There's no assuming of anything. Re-read your previous post where you
admitted to not being "big" on alternate viewpoints to your own. Seems
like that would suggest that you're the one assuming some kind of
"intellectual superiority," which of course in reality, is nothing more
than condescending sanctimony.

R H Draney

Jan 4, 2011, 4:20:07 AM1/4/11
Twibil filted:

SLDSH....r

Default User

Jan 4, 2011, 8:28:57 PM1/4/11
That Tune wrote:

> Reminds me: why do programmers often confuse
> Halloween for Christmas? Because OCT 31 = DEC 25.

Someone should put a hex on you.

Brian
--
Day 698 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

That Tune

Jan 5, 2011, 8:46:52 AM1/5/11
"Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Looks like your streak has ended..

Sally

Jan 5, 2011, 11:50:26 PM1/5/11

Whoa.

Sally

Jan 6, 2011, 4:19:21 AM1/6/11
That Tune wrote:

> "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > That Tune wrote:
> >
> > > Reminds me: why do programmers often confuse
> > > Halloween for Christmas? Because OCT 31 = DEC 25.
> >
> > Someone should put a hex on you.

> Looks like your streak has ended..

I don't get it.

Brian
--
Day 699 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

lpfeffa

Jan 6, 2011, 8:19:07 AM1/6/11
On 1/6/2011 4:19 AM, Default User wrote:
> That Tune wrote:
>
>> "Default User"<defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Someone should put a hex on you.
>
>> Looks like your streak has ended..
>
> I don't get it.
>

> Brian

Apparently, "That Tune" thinks "Someone should put a hex on
you" is a grouchy usenet post. <shrug>

-- Lucy

That Tune

Jan 6, 2011, 8:28:54 AM1/6/11

> That Tune wrote:
>
>> "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Someone should put a hex on you.
>
>> Looks like your streak has ended..
>
> I don't get it.
>
> Brian
> --
> Day 1 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
> Current music playing: None.

Counter reset as your previous response seemed an
at least worthy candidate for a "grouchy usenet post".

That Tune

Jan 6, 2011, 8:31:18 AM1/6/11
"lpfeffa" <lpf...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Kudos to you for extracting Excaliber ;^)

Twibil

Jan 6, 2011, 1:25:47 PM1/6/11
On Jan 4, 1:20 am, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> >That's what I get for using more than one finger.
>
> SLDSH....r

He shoots.............HE SCORES!

Jan 6, 2011, 2:52:54 PM1/6/11
That Tune wrote:

> "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > That Tune wrote:
> >
> >>"Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Looks like your streak has ended..
> >
> > I don't get it.

> Counter reset as your previous response seemed an

> at least worthy candidate for a "grouchy usenet post".

You are aware that "hex" is a common abreviation for "hexadecimal",
correct? It was sort of a joke, you see.

Brian
--
Day 700 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

Jan 6, 2011, 2:53:43 PM1/6/11
lpfeffa wrote:

> On 1/6/2011 4:19 AM, Default User wrote:
> > That Tune wrote:
> >
> >>"Default User"<defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Looks like your streak has ended..
> >
> > I don't get it.

> Apparently, "That Tune" thinks "Someone should put a hex on you" is a
> grouchy usenet post. <shrug>

Ah. That was, of course, incorrect.

Brian
--
Day 700 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

eric belletynee

Jan 6, 2011, 3:05:48 PM1/6/11
On Jan 6, 1:53 pm, "Default User" <defaultuse...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> lpfeffa wrote:

> > > I don't get it.
> > Apparently, "That Tune" thinks "Someone should put a hex on you" is a
> > grouchy usenet post.  <shrug>
>
> Ah. That was, of course, incorrect.
>
> Brian
> --
> Day 700 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
> Current music playing: None.- Hide quoted text -

It still came off a litle pichy...I will give you props though, as it
is the "no grouchy usenet posts" nothing in that line states to, as
too, it being actually successful or not, but, rather that it is an
attempt at not being grouvhy. Now if it was Freud looking at it he'd
probably start asking you questions avout you genitalia and such
(Sally is that spelled correctly), and then perscribe you something.

That Tune

Jan 6, 2011, 3:18:20 PM1/6/11
"Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Of course, but I thought the unmistakable double entendre
was easily inferred to be less than wholly complimentary and
accordingly intended as generally disparaging. If not, kindly
excuse my apparent error.

Jan 6, 2011, 7:04:51 PM1/6/11
That Tune wrote:

> "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > That Tune wrote:
> >
> >>"Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Counter reset as your previous response seemed an
> > > at least worthy candidate for a "grouchy usenet post".
> >
> > You are aware that "hex" is a common abreviation for "hexadecimal",
> > correct? It was sort of a joke, you see.

> Of course, but I thought the unmistakable double entendre

> was easily inferred to be less than wholly complimentary and
> accordingly intended as generally disparaging. If not, kindly
> excuse my apparent error.

Well, no. There are only so many jokes using "hex".

Even if true, that wouldn't make the post grouchy anyway.

Jan 6, 2011, 7:16:05 PM1/6/11
eric belletynee wrote:

> On Jan 6, 1:53 pm, "Default User" <defaultuse...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > lpfeffa wrote:

> > > Apparently, "That Tune" thinks "Someone should put a hex on you"
> > > is a grouchy usenet post.  <shrug>
> >
> > Ah. That was, of course, incorrect.

> It still came off a litle pichy...

I'm not sure what you meant there.

> I will give you props though, as it
> is the "no grouchy usenet posts" nothing in that line states to, as
> too, it being actually successful or not, but, rather that it is an
> attempt at not being grouvhy. Now if it was Freud looking at it he'd
> probably start asking you questions avout you genitalia and such
> (Sally is that spelled correctly), and then perscribe you something.

No, the "no grouchy posts" effort is successful each day when no
grouchy posts are made. There seems to be a misapprehension that
nothing remotely unpleasant can be made without making the post
grouchy. That's not the case.

Some of the definitions are:

sullenly discontented; sulky; morose; ill-tempered.

bad-tempered; tending to complain; peevish

I can argue with people. I can protest their behavior. I can certainly
make jokes that might sting a bit (not the case here though).

Grouchiness, in the terms of the project, refers mostly to a state of
mind. The main reason it's in the .sig is that I will see it, and think
about each post before it goes. Is it grouchy? Does is reflect a
grouchy state of mind? If so, then I delete it. Often having felt
better by relieving a bit of aggravation by writing the post, but not
sending it.

Twibil

Jan 6, 2011, 11:37:09 PM1/6/11
On Jan 6, 4:16 pm, "Default User" <defaultuse...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Often having felt
> better by relieving a bit of aggravation by writing the post, but not
> sending it.

Gee, and here I'd thought that *I* was the only person who did that.

~Pete

eric belletynee

Jan 7, 2011, 10:09:45 AM1/7/11
> Current music playing: None.- Hide quoted text -

While I can certianly appreciate your logic, pertaining to this
matter, as I myself have been known to fire off a few e-mails in my
time, and am still trying to decide whether to just fire it off when
I'm in that mood, or just walk away from it, or just fire off that
bomb an let the chips fall where they will. See, here's where I see a
potential flaw in your logic, doing as you say you do, is sort of like
saying, I took a paice of tissue paper and wiped my butt with it, but
then thought better of it and cleaned it off and then blew my nose
with it.

I don't think that Brian is a news guy, because he uses to many big
words...keep using those big words I like that.

Sally

Jan 7, 2011, 1:50:10 PM1/7/11
> (Sally is that spelled correctly), and then perscribe you something.- Hide quoted text -

You got it right. But.....pichy, grouvhy, perscribe and avout weren't
so lucky. I don't understand your meaning at the end of line 2 at the
end, going into line 3, but I don't think you write to be clearly
understood. May I retire as your spell-checker? I've done it now, but
I really have imperative things to do, like wishing my hair and giong
out four the mael.

Sally

Sally

Twibil

Jan 7, 2011, 2:13:25 PM1/7/11
On Jan 7, 10:50 am, Sally <SallyDr...@aol.com> wrote:

> I really have imperative things to do, like wishing my hair and giong
> out four the mael.
>
> Sally
>
> Sally

So yr giong to Sally out four the mael?

Toice?

Jan 8, 2011, 2:22:48 PM1/8/11
eric belletynee wrote:

> On Jan 6, 6:16 pm, "Default User" <defaultuse...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Grouchiness, in the terms of the project, refers mostly to a state
> > of mind. The main reason it's in the .sig is that I will see it,
> > and think about each post before it goes. Is it grouchy? Does is
> > reflect a grouchy state of mind? If so, then I delete it. Often
> > having felt better by relieving a bit of aggravation by writing the
> > post, but not sending it.

> See, here's where I see a

> potential flaw in your logic, doing as you say you do, is sort of like
> saying, I took a paice of tissue paper and wiped my butt with it, but
> then thought better of it and cleaned it off and then blew my nose
> with it.

I don't follow your point, I'm afraid. What I mentioned above is
similar to the old etiquette idea of writing out your grievances with a
person in a letter, then tearing it up.

Certainly if it doesn't fit your needs, you shouldn't do it. I don't
recommend anyone else follow my plan. Or recommend that they don't.

> I don't think that Brian is a news guy, because he uses to many big
> words...keep using those big words I like that.

I don't follow this either. I'm not sure what a "news guy" is in this
context.

Brian
--
Day 702 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: "Blinding" (Florence and the Machine)

lpfeffa

Jan 8, 2011, 4:58:21 PM1/8/11

I think, in that instance, he's referring to Brian Williams.

Sally

Jan 9, 2011, 12:31:50 PM1/9/11

Sumtimes I go out to see if the mael came, and it hasnt, so I haev to
do it Toice. Mye magazinnes r usually riped. Not a gentle maelman.
Just shuves the magazzine in too the maelboxx withuot lookingx.

Sally

eric belletynee

Jan 9, 2011, 12:37:11 PM1/9/11

Oh Sally...you say the sweetest things

Jan 9, 2011, 1:33:05 PM1/9/11
lpfeffa wrote:

> I think, in that instance, he's referring to Brian Williams.

Ah. Woosh me, I guess.

Is it bad of me that when the news anchor types are on the Big Show, I
tune out?

Brian
--
Day 703 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

eric belletynee

Jan 9, 2011, 1:42:04 PM1/9/11

(whoosh)

R H Draney

Jan 9, 2011, 2:59:23 PM1/9/11
eric belletynee filted:

>On Jan 9, 11:31=A0am, Sally <SallyDr...@aol.com> wrote:

>> > So yr giong to Sally out four the mael?
>>
>> > Toice?
>>
>> Sumtimes I go out to see if the mael came, and it hasnt, so I haev to
>> do it Toice. Mye magazinnes r usually riped. Not a gentle maelman.
>> Just shuves the magazzine in too the maelboxx withuot lookingx.
>>
>> Sally
>
>Oh Sally...you say the sweetest things

And in fluent LOLcat, too!...r

Sally

Jan 9, 2011, 4:22:47 PM1/9/11

Brian, it's not bad of you at ALL to go for a mind walk when the news
anchor types are on, with the exception of Tom Brokaw, who I find a
classy guy. But the trouble with the anchor types (mostly the men,) is
that they think they have to show off their "witty" sides, and top
Dave's lines. The competing-with-Dave to be funny thing never works.
Remember Ted Koppel? He tried to top Dave's humor, and where is he
now?

Exactly. On a highway somewhere, waiting for a car to pull up some day
so he can say, "I'm Ted Koppel...and this...was Nightline." Is that
mean...a grouchy post?

Sally

R H Draney

Jan 9, 2011, 5:15:13 PM1/9/11
Sally filted:

>On Jan 9, 1:33=A0pm, "Default User" <defaultuse...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> lpfeffa wrote:

>> > I think, in that instance, he's referring to Brian Williams.
>>
>> Ah. Woosh me, I guess.
>>
>> Is it bad of me that when the news anchor types are on the Big Show, I
>> tune out?
>
>Brian, it's not bad of you at ALL to go for a mind walk when the news
>anchor types are on, with the exception of Tom Brokaw, who I find a
>classy guy. But the trouble with the anchor types (mostly the men,) is
>that they think they have to show off their "witty" sides, and top
>Dave's lines. The competing-with-Dave to be funny thing never works.
>Remember Ted Koppel? He tried to top Dave's humor, and where is he
>now?
>
>Exactly. On a highway somewhere, waiting for a car to pull up some day
>so he can say, "I'm Ted Koppel...and this...was Nightline." Is that
>mean...a grouchy post?

You have no idea how clear right now is my mental image of Edwin Newman on
Dave's final morning show, instructing him to hit the "game show" buzzer (that
Dave had already been using to poke fun at what NBC was replacing him with) a
couple of times before folding his hands and sitting back in the guest chair to
observe "the Letterman always rings twice"....r

DDY

Jan 9, 2011, 6:32:30 PM1/9/11
On Jan 9, 3:22 pm, Sally <SallyDr...@aol.com> wrote:

> Brian, it's not bad of you at ALL to go for a mind walk when the news
> anchor types are on, with the exception of Tom Brokaw, who I find a
> classy guy. But the trouble with the anchor types (mostly the men,) is
> that they think they have to show off their "witty" sides, and top
> Dave's lines. The competing-with-Dave to be funny thing never works.
> Remember Ted Koppel? He tried to top Dave's humor, and where is he
> now?
>
> Exactly. On a highway somewhere, waiting for a car to pull up some day
> so he can say, "I'm Ted Koppel...and this...was Nightline." Is that
> mean...a grouchy post?

I'm with you to a degree, Sally. I don't recall Dan Rather doing too
well with some of his antics. I think he brought a spitoon on once.

Tom Brokaw delivered some of the most thoughtful and interesting
interviews we've ever seen on Dave's shows. I've always looked forward
to his visits.

Ted Koppel? How about the time he came on "Late Night" and balanced a
dog biscuit on his nose? That was awesome! How about rollerblading
with Dave on 53rd St. on 3/11/02? Or Paul's Cape Thing on 7/19/92?
Shirtless on "Nightline" on 10/17/03! And didn't he do a Richard Nixon
impression? And he let his twin brother, Kenny, host "Nightline" so he
could come over and be on Dave's shows.

I have to give Ted a high grade.

David D

DDY's Late Show Fan Page
http://www.ddy.com/dl3.html

eric belletynee

Jan 9, 2011, 6:42:10 PM1/9/11

Ted Koppel...ok wasb;t he on cbs before...what's her name that blonde
girl with the body...is it wrong to say that she has a body.

Is it that those news people don't use big words because their heads
will splode, or, is that they don't use big words because, if they do
their brains will melt?

Notice my use of muli-factioned question rolled up into a single multi-
factioned question.

Steve Curtis

Jan 9, 2011, 7:56:21 PM1/9/11
"eric belletynee" wrote:

>Is it that those news people don't use big
>words because their heads will splode,
>or, is that they don't use big words
>because, if they do their brains will melt?

The "big words" are probably not used very often when they consider the
collective intelligence of the viewing audience.

Traci

Jan 12, 2011, 2:27:14 PM1/12/11
DDY says...
> Hello, earth people, and happy 2011, no matter how it's pronounced.
>
> I've slapped together a few of my thoughts on the fine year just past
> at 1697 Broadway.
>
> If your life has sunk to a new low and you have absolutely nothing
> else to do, you can look at my essay for free at:
> http://www.ddy.com/dl_2010_in_review.html
>
> And now, let's saddle up the ponies and ride like the wind!

> David D
>
> DDY's Late Show Fan Page
> http://www.ddy.com/dl3.html

Meant to chime in with the rest of the group....This was wonderful,
David. Thank you so much for putting it together.

Traci

Sally

Jan 12, 2011, 5:51:54 PM1/12/11

I agree with some really great moments between them, now that you
itemize them. Those were terrific. But later, Ted got carried away and
really socked it to Dave one night and I saw Dave's annoyance, low key
as he seemed to react. Ted wouldn't stop. I knew it was a mistake on
Ted's part. (To confide a prejudice against Ted, I did work as his
sec'y/assistant when I was 22 at ABC News, and we got along great at
the beginning, trading jokes and even sharing books! Then, I did or
said something that turned him off, and the wit stopped completely. I
think I asked him for the book back too soon. Btw, it was The
Andromeda Strain. Did I spell that right?) He never favored me with a
glance again.) I wonder, now, who typed his letters after our
estrangement. Wasn't me. But he was known for being a cold, mean guy
in the news industry, with an emphasis on the cold.

I know it's hard to believe, because he is so droll and most charming,
but when he turns off, you turn into a paralyzed frozen Dilly bar. I
give him an F 'cause he acted like one.

Sally

Sally

Jan 12, 2011, 6:00:52 PM1/12/11
> factioned question.- Hide quoted text -

Ted was a;waus asspciated with ABC. I don't know what blonde girl wif
a body you refer too. He was wit ABC since around 1070. Of course it's
right to say ghe has a body.

He does use big words? I never notpoced. His bran will never melt. so
don't worry.

I didn'tget the multifactored question bit. Sorry if this is a grucy
post. I'm just trying to comunicate. I'm not grocuhy I'm just
miserable becsude it's ging to be in the 30 degree range ni Florisa
tonight and I have thins to do tonight. Outisdide. Outskeid. Not
inside.

Sa