Frequently Asked Questions about Jimmy Buffett

Chris Wilson

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

[This is a text-dump of the web page at <http://www.homecom.com/cobo/FAQ/>]

The Jimmy Buffett FAQ
The first and most complete up-to-date resource on Jimmy Buffett was last
updated 9/7/96.

You are visitor number 0036250 since 12:00 A.M. 4/2/96.

Thanks to URL-minder, you can enter your e-mail address to receive e-mail
when The Jimmy Buffett FAQ is updated.

Your Internet e-mail address:

[Image] News

This is a new section where you can find up-to-date information on Jimmy's
current tour, recording and writing projects, and any other major items I
deem worthy. Please let me know how you like this addition. This page is for
you and I am not a mind reader nor do I have lots of free time anymore, so
if you think that this new part is worthwhile I need to know!

Thanks,
Chris

* Jimmy is currently on the second leg of his summer tour:
o Current Tour Information
o Western Tour Dates Via Margaritaville
* Jimmy recorded a Christmas album during his July touring break. A
tentative release date is October 8 and a possible title is "Christmas
Island."
* Jimmy was recently quoted as saying as to what he will do for the next
album after the Christmas album: "I'm going to rent a club in Paris for
six weeks and take the band over with me," Buffett says." I'll let the
singers do a blues night, let Robert [Greenidge] do a Caribbean night,
that kind of thing. I'm going to rent a smoky little bar and just do
it. The band will play the weekend and we'll record the whole thing.
I've always wanted to do this."
* A new biography about Jimmy written by Steve Eng is rumoured to be
released around Christmas time. From what I hear this is going to be
one great resource.
* The Jimmy Buffett Scrapbook is also rumoured to be updated soon.
* Jimmy is currently working with author Herman Wouk on a musical
adaption Wouk's novel Don't Stop The Carnival. Buffett has written
himself an optional part - 'a construction foreman's job,' he says. 'I
don't even sing. After building houses on Long Island and in Florida,
I'd like to go onstage with a chain saw in my hand.' I think it is on
the agenda for Pace Theatrical Group and Jack Boyle. Pace Theatrical
Group also co-produced the rock opera Tommy. Jack Boyle is a concert
promoter with Cellar Door Productions. Latest I've heard is they're
aiming for a fall reading in New York City and a 1997 winter opening,
possibly in South Florida.
* Jimmy is working on a sequel to Where Is Joe Merchant? I had heard it
will be another novel, but word from West Palm Beach is that it will be
a book of fiction, a novella and short stories titled Daybreak on the
Equator, will be finished by year's end. I've heard it will be released
in 1997.
* A movie version of Where Is Joe Merchant? is in pre-production. It will
be directed by Frank Marshall (Congo, Arachnophobia). A writer named
Don Todd has written a screenplay adaptation and the film's now in
pre-production with Disney. (anyone else see any irony here?)

If you know of some hot information, please email me.

[Image] Vital Statistics

James William Buffett was born on December 25, 1946 in Pascagoula, MS.
Jimmy's father's name is James Delaney Buffett, Jr. and his mother's last
name is Peets.

Jimmy grew up in Mobile, AL where he attended McGill (Catholic school).

Jimmy attended Auburn University before receiving a B.S. in history from the
University of Southern Mississippi in 1969. Jimmy was a brother of Kappa
Sigma fraternity.

In 1969, Jimmy married Margie Washichek. Their marriage lasted approximately
two years.

Before signing a recording contract in 1970 with Barnaby Records, Buffett
lived in Nashville and worked writing articles for Billboard.

Around this same time, he appeared in a cover band The Now Generation.
Buffett is credited on two of their albums: Come Together and Hits Are Our
Business.

Jimmy married his second wife, Jane Slagsvol from Columbia, South Carolina,
on August 27, 1977. They were later separated for 9 years, but have since
reunited.

Jimmy has two daughters--Savannah Jane (6/1/79) and Sarah Delaney (4/1/92).
Cameron Marley Buffett was adopted by the Buffetts during the summer of
1994.

Jimmy's sister, Laurie Buffett, is married to author Thomas McGuane.

Jimmy is a distant cousin of multi-millionaire Warren Buffett, whom he
affectionately calls "Uncle Warren."

Jimmy currently resides in Palm Beach, FL where his daughters attend school.
He also has residences in several other locations including Key West and
Long Island. He maintains an apartment in New Orleans and owns a farm/ranch
near Orlando.

Jimmy is chairman of the Save the Manatee club. For more information:
Save the Manatee
500 N. Maitland Ave.
Maitland, FL 32751
1-800-432-JOIN

Jimmy was a founder of Friends of Florida, an enviromental group which
focused on the problem of preserving the Florida ecostructure.

Jimmy Buffett is an avid sailor and he owns several boats.

Jimmy is also an airplane pilot. He began flying in 1985 and has a passion
for seaplanes. Currently he owns:

* a 1987 Cessna S550
* a 1954 HU-16 Grumman (I think this is Lady of the Waters)

Jimmy crashed his Grumman G-44 Widgeon seaplane on take-off from Nantucket a
couple years ago. He swam away from the wreckage, but the Widgeon was not so
lucky. This is an excerpt from the accident report:

During takeoff, with the airplane "on the step," the pilot saw a swell
coming towards the airplane from the left. The pilot stated that before he
could reduce the power, the airplane veered to the right. He stated aileron
input did not seem to upright the airplane so he then reduced the power. He
stated the airplane impacted the water on the left side of its nose and then
nosed over. Post accident examination of airframe and engines did not reveal
any anomalies.

Thanks to shar...@earthlink.net for finding this information.

[Image] The Coral Reefer Band

Early in his career, while playing solo, acoustic shows, Buffett would
introduce a fictitous backing band. He introduced his "band" as the Coral
Reefers.

The original Coral Reefer Band, as introduced by Buffett in those days:

Jimmy Buffett (Vocals, Guitar)
Marvin Gardens (Guitar, Country Maracas)
Kay Pasa (Bass)
Kitty Litter (Background Vocals)
Al Vacado (Drums)

Later, Buffett added real members to his touring entourage and the Coral
Reefer Band began to make a "physical" presence at his shows. Two of the
earliest members of the Coral Reefer Band are Greg Taylor and Michael Utley.

The latest studio version of the Coral Reefer Band (Banana Wind) includes:

Michael Utley - Piano
Greg "Fingers" Taylor - Harmonica
Robert Greenidge - Steel Drums, Percussion
Ralph MacDonald - Percussion
Mac McAnally - Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Vocals
Roger Guth - Drums
Peter Mayer - Acoustic Guitar, Vocals
Jim Mayer - Upright Bass, Acoustic Bass Guitar, Vocals
Amy Lee - Saxophone
John Lovell - Trumpet
Thom Mitchell - Saxophone
Claudia Cummings - Vocals
Tina Gullickson - Vocals
Nadira Shakoor - Vocals

Guest vocalists: James Taylor, Ben Taylor
Guest Instumentalist: Bobby O-Donovan on Violn & Penny Whistle
Guest Instumentalist: Teddy Mulet on Trombone
Guest Instrumentalist: Freddy Fishstick on Piano, Trombone, Mandolin and
Vibes

Although never actually a member of the Coral Reefer Band,
Sheryl Crow sang background vocals on Off to See the Lizard

There are two webpages dedicated to the Coral Reefer Band:

* CRB Solo Projects
* CRB Members By Album

[Image] Banana Wind 1996 Tour Information

Here is the latest listing I know of. Please do not email me asking if I
know 1) whether Jimmy is coming to another location, or 2) when tickets go
on sale for a certain locale. If you are just dying to know if Jimmy is
coming near you, and you don't trust these dates, visit:

* TicketMaster
* Pollstar

* 4/19-20 Kravis Center (West Palm Beach, FL)
* 4/27 Margaritaville Cafe, New Orleans
* 5/29 Toronto, Canada
* 5/30 Clarkston, MI Pineknob Music Center
* 6/1 Alpine-Wisconsin
* 6/3 Indianapolis, IN Deer Creek Music Center
* 6/5 Indianapolis, IN Deer Creek Music Center
* 6/7 World Theatre-Chicago
* 6/8 World Theatre-Chicago
* 6/11-12 Cincinnati, OH Riverbend Amphitheater
* 6/14 Blossom-Cleveland
* 6/15 Columbus, OH Buckeye Lake
* 6/17-18 Atlanta, GA Lakewood Amphitheater
* 6/20 Charlotte, NC Blockbuster Pavilion
* 6/22-23 Columbia, MD Merriweather Post Pavilion
* 8/2-3 Pittsburgh, PA Starlake Amphitheater
* 8/6-7 Raleigh-Walnut Creek
* 8/9-10 Camden, NJ Blockbuster/Sony Music Entertainment Center
* 8/14 Virginia Beach, VA Virginia Beach Amphitheater
* 8/16-17 Haymarket, VA Nissan Amphitheater
* 8/21 Southhampton, NY
* 8/22 Wantagh, NY Jones Beach Amphitheater
* 8/24 Hartford, CT The Meadows
* 8/25, 28 Mansfield, Mass Great Woods Amphitheater
* 8/30-31 Mansfield, Mass Great Woods Amphitheater

For West Coast date tour information, please see Margaritaville's tour
dates.

[Image] Jimmy Buffett in Song

Down To Earth
Barnaby Records
1970

High Cumberland Jubilee
Barnaby Records
1971 (released 1976)

A White Sport Coat And A Pink Crustacean
ABC/Dunhill Records
1973

Living And Dying In 3/4 Time
ABC/Dunhill Records
1974

A 1-A
ABC/Dunhill Records
1974

Rancho Deluxe Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
United Artists Records
1975

Havaña Daydreamin'
ABC/Dunhill Records
1976

Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes
ABC Records
1977

Son Of A Son Of A Sailor
ABC Records
1978

You Had To Be There (live)
ABC Records
1978

Volcano
MCA Records
1979

Before The Salt
Barnaby Records
1979

Jimmy Buffett (re-release of Down To Earth)
Excelsior Records
1981

Coconut Telegraph
MCA Records
1981

Somewhere Over China
MCA Records
1981

One Particular Harbour
MCA Records
1983

Riddles In The Sand
MCA Records
1984

Last Mango In Paris
MCA Records
1985

Songs You Know By Heart: Jimmy Buffett's Greatest Hit(s)
MCA Records
1985

Floridays
MCA Records
1986

Hot Water
MCA Records
1988

Off To See The Lizard
MCA Records
1989

Feeding Frenzy (live)
MCA Records
1990

Boats, Beaches, Bars, & Ballads
Margaritaville Records
1992

Before The Beach
Margaritaville Records
1993

All the Great Hits
Premium Leisure/MCA (UK only)
1993

Fruitcakes
Margaritaville Records
1994

A Pirate's Treasure ~ 20 Jimmy Buffett Gems
MCA (Australia only)
1994

Barometer Soup
Margaritaville Records
August 1, 1995

Great American Summer Fun With Jimmy Buffett
MCA Special Markets & Products
MSD-36031
Compilation (P) (C) 1996

Banana Wind
Margaritaville Records
June 4, 1996

New! Jimmy Buffett on 45s

Jimmy Buffett is also featured on the following compilations:

FM Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Livingston Saturday Night

Urban Cowboy Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Hello Texas

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
I Don't Know (Spicoli's Theme)

Slugger's Wife Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Ragtop Day

Tennessee Christmas
Christmas in the Caribbean

Jane Fonda's Workout Tape
Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

Coast to Coast Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Survive
Come Monday

Summer Rental Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Turning Around (Note: This is not available in stores.)

Arachnaphobia Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Don't Bug Me

The Doctor Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Why Don't We Get Drunk

Always Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Boomerang Love

The Firm Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Stars on the Water

Breaking All The Rules, The Creation Of The Trivial Pursuit Board Game
(Soundtrack)
Pencil Thin Mustache
Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
A Pirate Looks at Forty

Margaritaville Cafe, Late Night Menu
Another Satudray Night
Reggae Accident
Souvenirs

Kermit The Frog -- Unpigged
Mr. Spaceman

More Songs For Sleepless Nights
Stars Fell on Alabama

Frank Sinatra's Duets II
Mack the Knife

Margaritaville Cafe New Orleans, Late Night Gumbo
Sea Cruise
Good Night Irene

Jimmy Buffett has some relation to the following songs:

The Theme to Johnny Bago (CBS television series)
Written and performed by Jimmy Buffett

Gulf Coast Highway (Evangeline)
Jimmy Buffett on duet vocals

Happiness Alone (Clint Black)
Co-written by Jimmy Buffett

Sugar Trade (James Taylor)
Co-written by Jimmy Buffett

Midnight Key (The Neville Brothers)
Co-written by Jimmy Buffett

The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks (The Eagles)
Jimmy Buffett on background vocals

If I'm Gonna Eat Somebody (It Might As Well Be You) (Ferngully Motion
Picture Soundtrack)
Written by Jimmy Buffett and Michael Utley

Partytown (Glenn Frey)
Jimmy Buffett on background vocals (credited as Freddie Buffett)

Some White People Can Dance (Greg 'Fingers' Taylor)
Co-written by Jimmy Buffett

Who Stole My Monkey (Zachary Richard)
Background vocals by Jimmy Buffett

The Parakeet Album
Children cover Jimmy Buffett

[Image] Jimmy Buffett On Video

Live By The Bay
recorded live 1985 at Miami Marine Stadium
MCA Universal Home Video 1985

Music Videos

* Another Saturday Night
* Jamaica Farewell
* La Vie Dansante
* Who's the Blonde Stranger
* Homemade Music
* Take Another Road
* One Particular Harbour
* Gypsies in the Palace
* Fruitcakes
* Livin' it Up
* Come Monday

Note: If anyone has these videos on tape and would be willing to send me a
copy, I'd really appreciate it.

Film Appearances

* Rancho Deluxe -- Himself 1975
* FM -- Himself 1978
* Repo Man -- additional blonde agent
* Cobb -- heckler 1994
* Congo -- 727 Pilot 1995

TV Appearances

* Chainsaw McGregor on ABC's All My Children
* Neville Brothers - "Tell It Like It Is" (Showtime)

[Image]Jimmy Buffett in Print

The Jolly Mon
Jimmy Buffett & Savannah Jane Buffett (Illustration by Lambert Davis)
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich
1988

Tales From Margaritaville: Fictional Facts and Factual Fictions
Jimmy Buffett
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich
1989

Trouble Dolls
Jimmy Buffett & Savannah Jane Buffett (Illustration by Lambert Davis)
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich
1991

Where Is Joe Merchant?: A Novel Tale
Jimmy Buffett
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich
1992

Everyone in the Woods Wants to Eat a Quail (Including Me)
Esquire Sportsman
Fall 1992

Jimmy wrote a two-page essay titled "Africa In A Box" for Don Henley's book,
Heaven Is Under Our Feet. It was written to raise funds for Walden Woods.

Why We Are All Strangers In The Everglades
Rolling Stone
RS733 May 2,1996 p.47

[Image] The Buffett Literary FAQ

In his songs and books, Jimmy Buffett alludes to many authors and their
works. Visit The Buffett Literary References Resource.

[Image] Lyric Meanings

Ever wonder what "green label" the person who went to Paris drank, or who
first said "indecision may or may not be your problem?" Read all the foreign
lyric translations and obscure lyrical references compiled in one place at
Les Mots Dansants.

[Image] The Great Lyrics Compilation

The Great Lyrics Compilation is the product of extensive work by Bryan
Jones, W. Jarrett Campbell, and Mike Hall. The purpose of the GLC is to
capture Jimmy Buffett's lyrics as they are sung on the albums (which is
sometimes different than those in the liner notes). You can utilize the web
version of the GLC in two diferent ways:

* Choose by album and song
* Search all songs for a particular line or word

[Image] The Great Chords Compilation

The Great Chords Compilation is the little sibling of the GLC: a public
service to all Buffett fans out there who want to try their hands at a
little "Six String Music." Not yet complete for all recorded songs, but
current archive contains over 108 chord arrangements listed both
individually and by album.

[Image] The Jimmy Buffett Gazetteer

In how many songs has Jimmy mentioned the Moon? Mars? Cincinnati? How many
places were mentioned in Volcano? These and many other Jimmy-geography
related questions can be answered at KC Angel's Jimmy Buffett Gazetteer.

Jimmy Rogers has been kind enough to create a setlist comparison page with
all the song frequencies on them. Check it out!

[Image] Jimmy Buffett Cover Songs

Many of the songs that Jimmy Buffett performs were originally performed by
other artists.
Likewise, some of Buffett's original songs have been covered by other
artists.

Browse through a list of cover songs

[Image] Parrot Head Merchandise

Jimmy Buffett has his own line of merchandise and clothing. The Carribbean
Soul line of products are sold from his own Margaritaville Store in Key
West. You can mail order many things from them or request a catalog by
contacting the store at:
The Margaritaville Store
424-A Fleming Street
Key West, FL 33040
1-800 COCOTEL

The Carribbean Soul products are also licensed to many retailers. Look for a
retailer near you.

[Image] Parrot Heads in Paradise Directory

The latest listing of Jimmy Buffett fan clubs.

[Image] Buffett Themed Eateries

Ever wish you could find a place where lunch can last forever or you can
wind up drinkin' all night? Visit The Buffett Eateries Page and look for a
restaurant or bar near you.

[Image] Miscellaneous Information

The Jamaican Incident

From USA Today, Life section, Page 2D: (January 18,1996)
POLICE WING BUFFETT'S PLANE
Jimmy Buffett was almost wasted in Margaritaville (as the song goes) Tuesday
when Jamaican police opened fire on his seaplane. Buffett, U2's Bono and
Island Records chairman Chris Blackwell had jumped into Montego Bay after
the plan, named The Flying Boat, landed. Blackwell was hosting them at his
Jamaican estate. Responding to an anonymous call that an aircraft had landed
carrying drugs, police opened fire as the plane took off, Jamaican police
commissioner Trevor MacMillan said Wednesday. No one was hurt and no drugs
were found, he said. Bullets pierced the aircraft. Buffett was not available
for comment; Blackwell said he was "pleased" authorities made "such a quick
public apology." [credited to Ann Oldenburg]

Jimmy Buffett's Restaurants

There is a Margaritaville Cafe, owned by Jimmy, in both Key West and New
Orleans. He used to own a restaurant on the island of St. Barts, but it
recently burned down due to a grease fire. Jimmy has no connection with
other restaurants with the names "Margaritaville" or "Cheeseburger in
Paradise."

Origination of the term parrot head

Reputedly, when performing at Timberwolf Ampitheater in Kings Island, OH,
Jimmy commented on all those crazy folks in the crowd from the Cincinnati
area wearing hawaiian shirts and parrot hats and who keep coming back to
every show. "Just like deadheads," Jimmy commented. Coral Reefer Timothy B.
Schmit replied, "yea, Parrot Heads!"
Sources: Jimmy on Whoopi Goldberg's Show, December, 1992
Jimmy on The Arsenio Hall Show, June, 1990

Jimmy Buffett Fan Letter and Merchandising Information

The Coconut Telgraph is a quarterly publication which contains information
about Jimmy Buffett and serves as a catalog for the Margaritaville Store. To
receive a complimentary copy call: 1-800-COCOTEL. Subscriptions are $10 per
year. However, if you buy $25 of merchandise, you get a free year's
subscription. In the past, mailings have been far from frequent and
periodic. Please be patient as they run on island time down in Key West.

You can write to the Coconut Telegraph at:
Coconut Telgraph
P.O. Box 1459
Key West, FL 33041

Jimmy Buffett's Mailing Address

Margaritaville Office
424-A Fleming Street
Key West, FL
33040

Jimmy Buffett's E-mail Address

Jimmy has a Compuserve account and does sometimes drop into the Florida
Forum there. However, he has not made his e-mail address publicly available
for obvious reasons. (and you thought your mailbox filled up quickly!)

What Album Should I Buy Next?

Visit The Parrot Review Board. The Review Board is slowing reviewing all of
Jimmy's albums, in order to give you an idea of which one you might wish to
buy next.

Did Jimmy Ever Pay the Mini Mart Back?

In the song Peanut Butter Conspiracy, Jimmy claims that if he ever got rich,
he would pay the mini mart back. Well, when asked if he ever did, Buffett
replied that he thought about it. He even made it as far as the parking lot,
but he could never work up the nerve to actually go in and pay them back.
Besides, he adds: "The statute of limitations has run out."

How do I obtain a copy of Rancho Deluxe
(or other rare Buffett albums)?

* Visit the Jimmy Buffett Collectibles Available Via Mail-Order Page
* Try used record stores, in the soundtracks section
* Ask the store owner to hold it for you if he gets it
* Check trade magazines such as Goldmine, Discoveries,etc.
* Visit a record show or covention

Where Can I Find "Please Take Your Drunken 15 Year Old Girlfriend Home"?

This song was originally recorded for the album Havaña Daydreamin'. However,
it was cut from the album before its release. Your best bet is to seek a
copy from a very serious collector.

What's the deal with Before the Beach?

Before the Beach is a re-release of Jimmy's first two albums recorded for
Barnaby Records in 1970 and 1971. However, two songs from the original
albums (The Christian, Buffett's first single, and Ain't He A Genius) are
not inlcuded on this CD re-release of Down to Earth and High Cumberland
Jubilee. However, there is a bonus track (High Cumberland Dilemma) which is
not included in the original albums. The material on Before the Beach
represents a very early Jimmy Buffett. It is very folk/country, and fairly
political. It is not like the calypso, "gulf n' western" rock that you find
on his later albums.

Where in the world does my hard earned money go when I donate to SFC for
concert tickets?

This information was provided by Judith Ranger, administrator of the SFC
Charitable Foundation, via Bill Lack, to be posted to the Jimmy Buffett
Listserv List and on the Jimmy Buffett FAQ.

Question: What does "SFC" stand for?

Answer: Originally Jimmy (jokingly) said SFC meant "Scalping For Charity",
officially it means "Singing for Change"

Question: Are these considered charitable donations by Jimmy Buffett
himself?

Answer: No, Jimmy's charitable donations (she mentioned the underprivileged
kids in Cincinnati whose way Jimmy pays to Sea Camp every year) are separate
from what SFC does. SFC is a private foundation.

Question: How much of the money collected from the $1 per ticket goes to
SFC?

Answer: For every ticket sold to a Buffett show, $1 goes to the foundation.

Question: How is the money then spent?

Answer: SFC gives all the money it receives to charity, other than overhead.
It is a non-profit organization.

Question: What percentage of the money collected goes to overhead?

Answer: She doesn't have that exact figure at present, but will find it out
and let us know. She said their accounting is done by Gelfand, Rennert and
Feldman of Los Angeles, who are Jimmy's accountants. Most of the expensive
overhead was done in the first year, in attorney's fees, registration
(apparently they have to register in every state Jimmy plays in order to
collect money), etc.

When making grants she gives consideration to organizations that keep their
overhead low, and does the same in the SFC office (keeps overhead low).

Their office overhead is very small. Her office space is donated by
Margaritaville, her office furniture cost $150 and was bought at a yard sale
in Key West, she bought a computer, printer, and paper. Their business cards
were donated by a local printer. She doesn't want a large staff because
SFC's money can be better spent going to the charities than it can on more
salaries.

Question: Where does the SFC Money Go?

Answer: 50% of that money is given to charities local to the venue. 25% goes
into an annuity that will be used when Jimmy finally quits touring to
continue funding grants. 25% is used in areas where Jimmy doesn't tour.

She said exactly who gets the money is public information and she would be
happy to let anyone know exactly where it goes. All they need to do is write
her a letter.

The address is:

Judith Ranger, Director
SFC Charitable Foundation, Inc.
424A Fleming Street
Key West, FL 33040

Question: How do you determine who you're going to award money to?

Answer: Giving this money away is harder than Jimmy ever thought it would
be. She encourages anyone to send her information on any worthy, hardworking
nonprofit organizations that are making a difference in people's lives, and
she'll do the required research.

Parrothead clubs are one source of referrals since they do so much community
service, and nonprofit organizations are famous for their generosity in
sharing information about each other, so this is getting easier as they go
along. SFC still welcomes your help in identifying organizations, though, as
their funding is national.

To find out the guidelines they use for awarding grants, either check their
web page or write Judith directly at:

Judith Ranger, Director
SFC Charitable Foundation, Inc.
424A Fleming Street
Key West, FL 33040

An example of the process and, how hard it is to give this money away, is
that since the Columbus Ohio news piece ran that has been discussed on the
Buffett list, they got 97 requests for Grant Proposal Guidelines in the
Columbus area.

To date, they've received a total of 9 grant proposals from the Columbus
area, and, of those, they are considering 4. The other 5 don't meet the IRS
(501-C3) requirements, which they have to meet to be eligible.

Thanks to Judith Ranger for taking the time to pass all of this information
along to us for use on the List and in the FAQ.

Jimmy's Baseball Teams

Jimmy is a minority owner of The Madison Black Wolf, which is part of the
Independent Northern League. Jimmy, Bill Murray and Mike Veeck (the son of
Bill Veeck) own the Ft. Myers Miracle (Class A).

Is Jimmy related to William Buffett?

William Buffett paints tropical pastels... as far as I've heard Jimmy and
William are not related.

Who is Marvin Gardens?

Good ol' Marvin Gardens is the patron saint of The Church of Buffett,
Orthodox. There's a couple of pages about our fine friend. First I suggest
you look at

* The Marvin Gardens WWW Homepage

After that, you might want to visit

* The Unofficial Marvin Gardens Memorial Page

Where did Jimmy drink the margarita that inspired him to write
Margaritaville?

The margarita that inspired ''Margaritaville'' was from Austin, Texas:
''I wrote Margaritaville in about five minutes at the end of a tour after
having a margarita,'' Buffett said. ''It wasn't even a great margarita.''
[The Houston Post, September 18, 1994]

Is this page Margaritaville approved/sponsored? Why do you do this?

Any Buffett related pages that I maintain, including the FAQ, are not
approved nor sponsored by Margaritaville in any shape or form, nor do I get
any inside information from Margaritaville. The reasons I maintain these
pages are numerous and include 1) it is a public service to Parrot Heads
everywhere, and 2) I think that Margaritaville's attempts at distributing
information over the Internet are pretty lame in comparison at this point in
time. However, if Margaritaville would like to work with me I'd be more than
happy to oblige!

[Image] Internet Sources for Jimmy Buffett Related Information

E-mail

William E. Lack is the administrator of the Buffett Listserv

USENET News

alt.fan.jimmy-buffett is a newsgroup dedicated to the career of Jimmy
Buffett

IRC

Parrot Heads can be seen flocking on dalnet channel #buffett by using
Internet Relay Chat. Weekly scheduled squawkings are on Monday nights around
9-10 p.m. EST, but people chat most nights.

World Wide Web Sites

The Bank of Bad Habits page maintained by Jarrett Campbell has a link to
every site worthy of your attention.
http://www.hepcat.com/phip/bank/

Please send comments and corrections to Chris Wilson. Thanks to Jarrett
Campbell for trusting me with all his work. Now a shameless plug for my work
page.

--
Chris Wilson| http://www.evangelist.macaddict.com/

If you're bored enough to read this, you're bored enough to visit my home
page at <http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~chmwilso/>