Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

Sergeant Ernest (Smokey) Smith

閲覧: 14 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

a425couple

未読、
2017/01/24 22:57:012017/01/24
To:
Just in case someone reading here, does not follow the newsgroup
rec.arts.sf.written
this message / question was recently posted there.

Dear rasfw'ers:
In chapter 9 of Heinlein's _Starship Troopers_, Juan Rico
continues his training at Camp Spooky Smith located between Good Hope
Mountain and Mount Waddington. Liberty was possible to Vancouver.
This puts the camp in British Columbia.
I wonder if Sergeant Spooky Smith was a lightly disguised version
of Sergeant Ernest (Smokey) Smith who died recently. The real
Sergeant Smith was born in New Westminster (a city in the Vancouver
area) on May 3, 1914. He died in Vancouver on Wednesday.
Sincerely,
Gene

Michael F. Stemper

未読、
2017/01/25 10:08:102017/01/25
To:
If they don't read rasw, they would have also missed the followup post
pointing out that, in this case, "Wednesday" refers to Wednesday, August
3, 2005. So "recently" is true -- from a certain point of view.

--
Michael F. Stemper
87.3% of all statistics are made up by the person giving them.

a425couple

未読、
2017/01/25 13:51:532017/01/25
To:
"Michael F. Stemper" <michael...@gmail.com> wrote in...
Yes.
But 'Gene's' post is recent (1/22/2017).
I thought that it was possible that an 'old timer',
who might care, might read it here.
Whatever. Seems reasonable to once in a while
send a post through this ng.

Michael Black

未読、
2017/01/25 21:16:242017/01/25
To:
Since we know nothing about the real guy, why should we wonder if the
book's guy is based on the real guy?

There's a Vancouver Washington, so that doesn't have to place the camp in
British COlumbia.

In my great, great, great grandmother's day, it wsa neither US or Canada
along that strip, though the fur companies were starting to make claims on
the area.

Michael

a425couple

未読、
2017/01/27 23:43:122017/01/27
To:
"Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2017, a425couple wrote:
>> Just in case someone reading here, does not follow the newsgroup
>> rec.arts.sf.written
>> this message / question was recently posted there. Dear rasfw'ers:
>> In chapter 9 of Heinlein's _Starship Troopers_, Juan Rico
>> continues his training at Camp Spooky Smith located between Good Hope
>> Mountain and Mount Waddington. Liberty was possible to Vancouver.
>> This puts the camp in British Columbia.
>> I wonder if Sergeant Spooky Smith was a lightly disguised version
>> of Sergeant Ernest (Smokey) Smith who died recently. The real
>> Sergeant Smith was born in New Westminster (a city in the Vancouver
>> area) on May 3, 1914. He died in Vancouver on Wednesday.
>> Sincerely,
>> Gene
>
> Since we know nothing about the real guy, why should we wonder if the
> book's guy is based on the real guy?

Because Heinlein regularly did insert true history and
names into his books. Especially in "Starship Troopers"

> There's a Vancouver Washington, so that doesn't have to place the camp in
> British COlumbia.

Ahh, the quote says the two mountains are in the Canadian Rockies,
and in fact those two named mountains are about 150 miles north
of Vancouver BC. So, Vancouver Washington USA seems unlikely
as it's nearly 300 miles further south.
(By the way, Good Hope mountain is near Dawn Treader Mountain.)

"Officially Good Hope Mountain but commonly known as Mount Good Hope,
this is one of the principal summits of the Pacific Ranges of the southern
Coast Mountains in British Columbia, Canada.Wikipedia
Elevation:
10,636'
Province:
British Columbia