Is Tommy a man?

djinn

Oct 9, 2014, 1:18:49 AM10/9/14

loupgarous

Nov 6, 2014, 9:17:29 AM11/6/14
On Thursday, October 9, 2014 12:18:49 AM UTC-5, djinn wrote:
> Seems a NY court is deciding.
>
> http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tommy-chimp-center-legal-personhood-court-case-n220926

Verrrry slippery slope.

Here in Mississippi, we just amended the state constitution to make hunting and fishing civil rights, and the Humane Society said it'd weaken animal cruelty laws. Apparently no one explained the difference between "game" and "pets" to them, or perhaps someone saw "Bambi" once too often.

MajorOz

Nov 6, 2014, 2:34:17 PM11/6/14
Hey, Loup....

Always thought you lived in Loozann....

We get to Greenville often, to play music, running the blues trail to and from.

Vance Frickey

Dec 12, 2014, 7:02:42 AM12/12/14
Wellll... I lived in Denver from 2002-2013, before that in Indiana (doing safety and efficacy reporting code for Eli Lilly), before that, over on the MS Gulf Coast (Henderson Point, which was lovely before Katrina planed it smooth), and whoa, before 1993, in Louisiana, where I was born.

lal_truckee

Dec 12, 2014, 12:20:42 PM12/12/14
On 11/6/14 6:17 AM, loupgarous wrote:
> Apparently no one explained the difference between "game" and "pets" to them, or perhaps someone saw "Bambi" once too often.

I know! I know! Let me play.
The difference is "pets" suffer when shot or maimed; "game" doesn't!
What do I win?

Will in New Haven

Dec 12, 2014, 2:19:18 PM12/12/14
Nothing.

We have a relationship with pets and they have reason to expect us not to shoot them. I haven't hunted in decades but no deer, squirrel or quail that I ever shot was ever conned into thinking I was its friend or that I was there to do it good. And any animal I have taken into my care was safe from me and as safe from anyone else as I could manage.

The difference, to quote Kennesaw Mountain Landis, is as big as houses.

--
Will in New Haven

MajorOz

Dec 12, 2014, 2:46:54 PM12/12/14
We are packing and tweaking the motorhome for our annual escape from winter.

We spend a month or so in south FL, but mostly, we wander, with much time in coastal MS. I have great respect for MS for not "developing" the beach as is done in AL.

We usually stay at some campground across the road from the beach or on the backbay at Keesler.

Then on to Greenville, where we sing old country in the daytime and black blues at night.....with venues for both.

Since the krazzy ass bigots started dying off, I love MS....and the LA coast (duck country) that leads to TX.

Loupgarous

Oct 27, 2017, 6:01:09 PM10/27/17
The difference is two-fold.

Pets are part of the process going back to Man's invention of animal husbandry while evolving from a hunter-gatherer species, in which humans take responsibility for the proper treatment, health, welfare and acts of specific animals. Many human governments impose fines and imprisonment for pet owners who fall down on that job. Most pets are incapable of adjusting to the wild; I'm among millions of people who have trapped feral cats near my house for neutering/spaying to reduce the suffering caused by uncontrolled breeding of former pets outside homes.

Game animals are generally predated on not just by humans, but other wild species (this includes microbes and parasites - any offshore fisherman can, while cleaning fish such as drum, find some pretty nasty wildlife growing in the fish). The existence of game is tenuous for many reasons outside hunting and includes instances of slow starvation and death inflicted by other game animals of the same species during dominance behavior.

Hunting and fishing are indeed painful to the animals who are shot or hooked, but hunters mostly use guns in calibers which cause a prompt, relatively painless death (my older brother was a trapper of nutria and muskrat on weekends, so I know not all hunting is that humane, but trapping is also a very small part of hunting).