About Those Funny Trading Aliens in COTG...

Yisroel Markov

Jan 24, 2014, 9:36:27 AM1/24/14
It turns our RAH may have had an Earth-based model for that.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20855_5-ways-life-in-iran-nothing-like-you-think.html

See item #2.
--
Yisroel "Godwrestler Warriorson" Markov - Boston, MA Member
www.reason.com -- for a sober analysis of the world DNRC

Roger Christenson

Feb 9, 2014, 2:11:50 AM2/9/14
I wondered if he did.

tian

Feb 10, 2014, 5:26:06 AM2/10/14
On 02/08/2014 11:11 PM, Roger Christenson wrote:
> On Friday, January 24, 2014 7:36:27 AM UTC-7, Yisroel Markov wrote:
>> It turns our RAH may have had an Earth-based model for that.
>>

>> http://www.cracked.com/article_20855_5-ways-life-in-iran-nothing-like-you-think.html

At the top of that page when I read the article was a "Don't mess with
T-Rexes" shirt that looked a lot like a "Don't mess with Texas" shirt.
I love the conflating of those concepts!

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org

Eric S. Harris

Mar 7, 2014, 10:34:06 PM3/7/14
On 1/24/2014 8:36 AM, Yisroel Markov wrote:
> It turns our RAH may have had an Earth-based model for that.
>
> http://www.cracked.com/article_20855_5-ways-life-in-iran-nothing-like-you-think.html
>
> See item #2.

Probably a lot of stuff where we think he was being creative was
(merely) him being (incredibly) well-informed about the world.

The bit in MiaHM about deadbeats having their names and photos posted
has a counterpart in the binding arbitration used to settle disputes in
the diamond trade in New York City and Amsterdam and elsewhere.

Either you abide by the decision, or you basically never work in the
diamond trade again, anywhere on earth. Your name and photo, and your
failure to abide by the decision go every major place where diamonds are
traded. Or so I'm given to understand.

One could probably annotate a lot of RAH books -- much as Martin Gardner
annotated Lewis Carroll's "Alice" books -- with references to real-world
counterparts, literary allusions, SF community in-jokes, etc.

Like "raising John Thomases", f'rinstance. -Eric

--
When replying via e-mail, replace the "w" with "y".
If I don't reply to a post, it may just be that I'm

Michael Black

Mar 8, 2014, 11:41:46 AM3/8/14
On Fri, 7 Mar 2014, Eric S. Harris wrote:

> On 1/24/2014 8:36 AM, Yisroel Markov wrote:
>> It turns our RAH may have had an Earth-based model for that.
>>
>> http://www.cracked.com/article_20855_5-ways-life-in-iran-nothing-like-you-think.html
>>
>> See item #2.
>
> Probably a lot of stuff where we think he was being creative was (merely) him
> being (incredibly) well-informed about the world.

And I was reading about some people, I think in the pacific northwest,
that traded about the same way, offer some things, then dicker on the
actual value.

> The bit in MiaHM about deadbeats having their names and photos posted has a
> counterpart in the binding arbitration used to settle disputes in the diamond
> trade in New York City and Amsterdam and elsewhere.
>
> Either you abide by the decision, or you basically never work in the diamond
> trade again, anywhere on earth. Your name and photo, and your failure to
> abide by the decision go every major place where diamonds are traded. Or so
> I'm given to understand.
>
> One could probably annotate a lot of RAH books -- much as Martin Gardner
> annotated Lewis Carroll's "Alice" books -- with references to real-world
> counterparts, literary allusions, SF community in-jokes, etc.
>
> Like "raising John Thomases", f'rinstance. -Eric

My great, great, great grandmother, born in 1798, went with my great,
great, great grandfather in 1813. He may have been the first European she
saw, it couldn't have happened that long after he first appeared.

So I'm tending to think she was like Lummox, curious about these new
people and basically going so early that the move away from the pacific
northwest happened because she was already invovled with him, that the
assimilation just happened, rather than was a deliberate act.

The great, great, great, great grandparents in Scotland got mail from the
kids, my great, great, great, great grandparents in the pacific northwest
apparently never heard from them again after they moved to the Red River
Colony about 1825, and indeed are said to have not trusted whites after
that.

At that time, the distance was good enough that it might as well have been
a distant solar system, indeed it's a surprise the ancestors in Scotland
got mail.

Michael

tian

Mar 9, 2014, 3:27:36 AM3/9/14
On 03/08/2014 08:41 AM, Michael Black wrote:

> My great, great, great grandmother, born in 1798, went with my great,
> great, great grandfather in 1813. He may have been the first European
> she saw, it couldn't have happened that long after he first appeared.
>
> So I'm tending to think she was like Lummox, curious about these new
> people and basically going so early that the move away from the pacific
> northwest happened because she was already involved with him, that the
> assimilation just happened, rather than was a deliberate act.
>
> The great, great, great, great grandparents in Scotland got mail from
> the kids, my great, great, great, great grandparents in the pacific
> northwest apparently never heard from them again after they moved to the
> Red River Colony about 1825, and indeed are said to have not trusted
> whites after that.
>
> At that time, the distance was good enough that it might as well have
> been a distant solar system, indeed it's a surprise the ancestors in
> Scotland got mail.

It's surprising you learned of the mail the ancestors in Scotland got.
--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org

Michael Black

Mar 9, 2014, 12:49:57 PM3/9/14
On Sat, 8 Mar 2014, tian wrote:

> On 03/08/2014 08:41 AM, Michael Black wrote:
>>>
>> My great, great, great grandmother, born in 1798, went with my great,
>> great, great grandfather in 1813. He may have been the first European
>> she saw, it couldn't have happened that long after he first appeared.
>>
>> So I'm tending to think she was like Lummox, curious about these new
>> people and basically going so early that the move away from the pacific
>> northwest happened because she was already involved with him, that the
>> assimilation just happened, rather than was a deliberate act.
>>
>> The great, great, great, great grandparents in Scotland got mail from
>> the kids, my great, great, great, great grandparents in the pacific
>> northwest apparently never heard from them again after they moved to the
>> Red River Colony about 1825, and indeed are said to have not trusted
>> whites after that.
>>
>> At that time, the distance was good enough that it might as well have
>> been a distant solar system, indeed it's a surprise the ancestors in
>> Scotland got mail.
>>
> It's surprising you learned of the mail the ancestors in Scotland got.

That's one of the things I'm trying to interpret. Is the family "famous"
because of what it did (and there are some instances of that) or is it
because my great, great, great grandfather wrote some books about the
pacific northwest, and then became famous enough that letters were kept?

I know none of the history directly, someone on my mother's side was
interested in geneology and did the family tree about thirty years ago,
which I never actually looked at. Then a few years ago, I got curious,
and with a search, found the family tree online, and endless bits and
references to the family. The letters to Scotland were actually published
as a book decades back, and that's online via the Manitoba Historical
Society or something.

NOw that I know the history, I know to check certain books, and often one
of the books gets referenced. And I see references to the family in other
books, no names mentioned but I know it's a reference.

What's missing is my great, great, great grandmother's voice, what was she
thinking in 1813 when maybe the first European she saw showed up? What
made her go with him? She lived most of her life away from the pacific
northwest, nobody sharing the same language or culture. She outlived her
husband, and all but one of the children. She died only 75 years before I
was born, only 12 before my grandfather was born.

Michael