"Force Awakens" not-quite-a-spoiler question

Chris Zakes

Dec 26, 2015, 11:42:32 AM12/26/15
*How* does Luke's light saber get into the box? It was last seen
falling into a Very Deep Pit in Cloud City.

-Chris Zakes
Texas
--

GNU Terry Pratchett
Mind how you go.

Robert Woodward

Dec 27, 2015, 1:11:00 AM12/27/15
In article <sngt7bppjijemhqbk...@4ax.com>,
Chris Zakes <dont...@gmail.com> wrote:

> *How* does Luke's light saber get into the box? It was last seen
> falling into a Very Deep Pit in Cloud City.

Wasn't he using a light saber in _The Return of the Jedi_? (I only saw
it the once, 3 decades ago). The simplest answer is that he built a new
one.

Chris Zakes

Dec 27, 2015, 11:40:07 AM12/27/15
He built a new one for "Return of the Jedi" (Vader comments on it at
one point.) But the one in "Force Awakens" is supposedly the one
Obi-wan gave him in "Star Wars"/"A New Hope": "Your father's light
saber; this is the weapon of a Jedi knight", which was lost when
Luke's hand got cut off at the end of "Empire Strikes Back."

Ronald O. Christian

Dec 27, 2015, 2:28:34 PM12/27/15
The one he uses in Return of the Jedi is substantially different from
his first one. Vader comments that Luke had built a new one.

His lightsaber in Return of the Jedi looked something like this:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/7/7d/LukeROTJsaber-MR.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100616172523

...whereas his original lightsaber (which used to be Anakin's) looked
like this:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/12/article-1094065-02C80CAC000005DC-638_468x286.jpg

It was his original lightsaber that was in the box. Which begs the
question, how was it recovered when he lost it in Empire Strikes Back?

Ron
-
2014 FLHTK "The Grey"

MajorOz