Wow! Caustic sentence in a SF review!

a425couple

Apr 23, 2018, 6:59:02 PM4/23/18
Wow! I'm impressed with this caustic sentence
I found that was commenting on a Sci-Fi book.

"And getting it wrong for facepalm values of wrong,
so wrong he wasn't even on the right map ... but at
least he wasn't ignoring it."
The author is Robert Heinlein.
The book is "Farnham's Freehold".

The sentence is from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnham%27s_Freehold

Oh, by the way, others stated other views of it:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50840.Farnham_s_Freehold
(rated around 3.6)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APAEFKQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
(rated around 3.7-4.0)

and then finally, there is this:
www.troynovant.com/Stoddard/Heinlein/Farnhams-Freehold.html
The racist implications of Farnham's Freehold, with its society
of cannibalistic black Muslims ruling white slaves, are apparently
more than even Heinlein enthusiasts want to defend. But this isn't
really what's going on in this book at all. Read carefully, it's
not a racist work, but a work attacking racism. Heinlein carefully
led his readers down the garden path and over the precipice — so
carefully that, to his misfortune, hardly any of them noticed the
fall.

It is tough to write a brutal satire, that nobody understands.

David Johnston

Apr 23, 2018, 7:50:45 PM4/23/18
I understood that Heinlein was attacking racism. I just thought his
shots went wide of the mark.

Will in New Haven

May 22, 2018, 5:36:08 PM5/22/18
For a huge value of "nobody" that includes everyone I have personally talked to about the book. What Heinlein got wrong, really what Farnham got wrong in the book was the bridge but even bridge-literate people were writing about "the Italian system" back then, ignoring the fact that the Squadra Azura played three completely different systems.

--
Will in New Haven
https://sites.google.com/site/grreference/