Psychology of tattoos?

Chris Zakes

Apr 2, 2016, 6:26:59 PM4/2/16
At the beginning of chapter 29 of Stranger, Mike says:

"Jill, you've read some abnormal psychology."
"yes, of course, in training. Not as much as you have, I know."
"Do you know the symbolism of tattooing? And snakes?"

For those of us who *aren't* familiar with abnormal psych, what is
(or, more accurately, *was* back in the late '50s/early 60's) the
symbolism of tattooing?

Is that still applicable today, when tattoos (particularly on women)
are commonplace, not something for a freak show?

-Chris Zakes
Texas
--

GNU Terry Pratchett
Mind how you go.

Luminaria

Oct 6, 2016, 9:00:07 PM10/6/16
No, it is very "in-PC" to suggest that there is anything "abnormal" or "freakish" behind tattooing, piercing, or "body art" - I don't think you will have an easy time finding any reputable APA sanctioned article - no matter how many people split their tongues, implant horns, or implant spikes and studs into their craniums, there is "nothing to see here".

Heinlein clearly felt that people "hid" behind their tattoos - that they not only were deeply meaningful, but that the person wanted the "mundanes" to "look at my stuff, don't look at me".

Here's what I can tell you as a clinical counselor / social worker with over 30 years in the actual field, working with some extremely troubled people - YES - Heinlein was right - when it gets to the extent that you have massive coverage - something is going on. They are telling a story. They want you to look at the tattoos. They do NOT want you to see who they are and what they are hiding inside, and that is usually massive pain. Old pain. Hidden pain.

Look for the tattoos that start to celebrate beauty, healing and peace. With bright colors, that are more vivid - there's hope there. They are telling a story too.

In my humble opinion, and in my experience. I ask questions... people don't mind answering if you're respectful... after all, it's their art, they are proud of it. Go ahead and ask. Be appreciative. But be gentle.

Lis