Musk's rocket landing - back to old views

a425couple

Dec 23, 2015, 3:07:43 PM12/23/15
"Double-A" <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote in message...
- Hägar wrote:
> The launch, the payload delivery and the Rocket Landing:
> https://gma.yahoo.com/spacex-set-attempt-rocket-launch-landing-tonight-170023446--abc-news-topstories.html#
> When it comes to doing things right:
> Elon Musk - a lot smarter

- Finally a rocket that can land the way God intended them to land!

Yes.
What were some of the 1950s or 1960s TV shows that
showed them landing tail down & under power?

Greg Goss

Dec 23, 2015, 3:12:54 PM12/23/15
To me, the novel "Space Cadet" introduced me to tail-first landing.

The first SF I read all the way through was Rocket Ship Gallileo which
was an airplane that belly landed if there was vacuum.

a425couple

Dec 23, 2015, 4:38:13 PM12/23/15
"Greg Goss" <go...@gossg.org> wrote in message ...
Well, here is (at about 3:50) a youtube from Flash Gordon 1938
where they also "belly land".
Flash Gordons Trip to Mars Chapter 01 of 15 Part 1 of 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ2HUfD0QSw&list=PLFC968E9E9FA8CBC4

Perhaps, Space Patrol, this one at 19:49 has a semi crash
that goes in tail first. ?
Space Patrol - A Big Wheel Named Ferris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrSJTjCOw_Y

Greg Goss

Dec 23, 2015, 5:04:32 PM12/23/15
When Worlds Collide LOOKED like a classic tail-lander ("Hugo") rocket,
but it was catapult-launched. I can't find any quick images search
results of the landing.

OK, found Destination Moon (1950)
http://voyagerslog.blogspot.ca/2013/07/space-and-science-news-imaginarium.html

a425couple

Dec 23, 2015, 7:53:45 PM12/23/15
"Greg Goss" <go...@gossg.org> wrote in message ...
Perfect!
" Science fiction fans are loving this.
Back in the 1950's and early 60's it was a staple of Sci-fi space
movies to include a group of intrepid explorers in their finned rocket
blasting off from their government base, and landing at their destination
in a similar manner: On it's tail!"

and here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBEfpVkwWS4
Destination Moon (1950) - Movie Trailer

J. Clarke

Dec 23, 2015, 8:34:38 PM12/23/15
In article <n5eut...@news4.newsguy.com>, a425c...@hotmail.com
says...

> "Double-A" <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote in message...
> - Hägar wrote:
> > The launch, the payload delivery and the Rocket Landing:
> > https://gma.yahoo.com/spacex-set-attempt-rocket-launch-landing-tonight-170023446--abc-news-topstories.html#
> > When it comes to doing things right:
> > Elon Musk - a lot smarter
>
> - Finally a rocket that can land the way God intended them to land!

Unless that booster took a lot more damage than it looks like it took,
space flight is about to get an almighty lot cheaper

> Yes.
> What were some of the 1950s or 1960s TV shows that
> showed them landing tail down & under power?

Rocky Jones, Men Into Space (tried very hard for realism--didn't do too
badly for the time), and Tom Corbett (alghouth FX shot were in short
supply and were mostly a V-2) were a few.

Incidentally, in confirming my recollection I came up on a marvelous
early '60s German series, Raumpatrouille, contemporary with Star Trek
TOS, that has an effing gorgeous ship and a captain who makes Captain
Kirk look like a girl scout.

Cryptoengineer

Dec 23, 2015, 10:56:16 PM12/23/15
"J. Clarke" <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote in

> In article <n5eut...@news4.newsguy.com>, a425c...@hotmail.com
> says...
>>
>> "Double-A" <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote in message...
>> - Hägar wrote:
>> > The launch, the payload delivery and the Rocket Landing:
>> > https://gma.yahoo.com/spacex-set-attempt-rocket-launch-landing-tonig
>> > ht-170023446--abc-news-topstories.html# When it comes to doing
>> > things right: Elon Musk - a lot smarter
>>
>> - Finally a rocket that can land the way God intended them to land!
>
> Unless that booster took a lot more damage than it looks like it took,
> space flight is about to get an almighty lot cheaper

For a detailed discussion discussion of the Falcon 8, and the
economic environment in which it lives, see:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-why-spacex-will-colonize-
mars.html/4#phase2

>> Yes.
>> What were some of the 1950s or 1960s TV shows that
>> showed them landing tail down & under power?
>
> Rocky Jones, Men Into Space (tried very hard for realism--didn't do
> too badly for the time), and Tom Corbett (alghouth FX shot were in
> short supply and were mostly a V-2) were a few.
>
> Incidentally, in confirming my recollection I came up on a marvelous
> early '60s German series, Raumpatrouille, contemporary with Star Trek
> TOS, that has an effing gorgeous ship and a captain who makes Captain
> Kirk look like a girl scout.

I first saw that when I was a little kid living in Sweden, dubbed into
Russian and with Swedish subtitles. For a very long time I though it
was a Russian series.

pt