thoughts - Have Space Suit - Will Travel

a425couple

Mar 28, 2014, 2:02:36 PM3/28/14
One of my more recent Heinlein reads was pleasant enough.
"Have Space Suit - Will Travel" is one of his juveniles,
this one written in 1958, the last of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Space_Suit%E2%80%94Will_Travel

IMHO, as I said, "pleasant enough".
Perhaps Heinlein did it because he had a contract?
Perhaps his self opinion of this one caused him to say
"I'm done with these!"

It did pose some interesting bigger thoughts related to
our "group" being judged on the 'frail' example of just
ourselves and little else, also totally dis-similar cultures
& lifespans.
(Also pragmatism - 'perhaps they have done
nothing bad yet, but they have ability to someday,
so lets destroy them all now while we can!')

I guess one part that kept nagging at me was 'believability'.
Too many things just kept stricking me as implausable,
whereas books like "Tunnel in the Sky" and
"Time for the Stars" drew me in, hooked me, and
bam!!!, I was gone for the ride!

And here again, are pictures of models that one of our
newsgroup's past posters created:
https://plus.google.com/photos/116637781725296267499/albums/5322178780219576161?banner=pwa

Rhino

Mar 29, 2014, 12:52:47 PM3/29/14
On 2014-03-28 2:02 PM, a425couple wrote:
> One of my more recent Heinlein reads was pleasant enough.
> "Have Space Suit - Will Travel" is one of his juveniles,
> this one written in 1958, the last of them.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Space_Suit%E2%80%94Will_Travel
>
> IMHO, as I said, "pleasant enough".
> Perhaps Heinlein did it because he had a contract?
> Perhaps his self opinion of this one caused him to say
> "I'm done with these!"

I thought Podkayne of Mars, 1963(?) was the last of his juveniles? I
think it was written for a different publisher but I don't think anyone
would deny it was a juvenile....

> It did pose some interesting bigger thoughts related to
> our "group" being judged on the 'frail' example of just
> ourselves and little else, also totally dis-similar cultures
> & lifespans.
> (Also pragmatism - 'perhaps they have done
> nothing bad yet, but they have ability to someday,
> so lets destroy them all now while we can!')
>
> I guess one part that kept nagging at me was 'believability'.
> Too many things just kept stricking me as implausable,
> whereas books like "Tunnel in the Sky" and
> "Time for the Stars" drew me in, hooked me, and
> bam!!!, I was gone for the ride!
>
> And here again, are pictures of models that one of our
> newsgroup's past posters created:
> https://plus.google.com/photos/116637781725296267499/albums/5322178780219576161?banner=pwa

I have no comment on the rest of your remarks; it is too long since I
last read it for me to agree or disagree with any real confidence.

--
Rhino

a425couple

Mar 29, 2014, 3:34:10 PM3/29/14
"Rhino" <no_offline_c...@example.com> wrote in message...
> a425couple wrote:
>> One of my more recent Heinlein reads was pleasant enough.
>> "Have Space Suit - Will Travel" is one of his juveniles,
>> this one written in 1958, the last of them.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Space_Suit%E2%80%94Will_Travel
>> IMHO, as I said, "pleasant enough".
>> Perhaps Heinlein did it because he had a contract?
>> Perhaps his self opinion of this one caused him to say
>> "I'm done with these!"
>>
> I thought Podkayne of Mars, 1963(?) was the last of his juveniles? I think
> it was written for a different publisher but I don't think anyone would
> deny it was a juvenile....

I do not have personal feelings about it (I won't argue).

I'd just read and accepted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinlein_juveniles
whose statements include:
"Podkayne of Mars ---
Podkayne's categorization as a "Heinlein juvenile" is unclear. Many
reviewers
list it with the juveniles,[1] and it is narrated by a teenager, but
Heinlein himself
did not regard it is a "juvenile".[2]"

Meanwhile, that cite shows the Juveniles are:
" Rocket Ship Galileo, 1947
Space Cadet, 1948
Red Planet, 1949
Farmer in the Sky, 1950
Between Planets, 1951
The Rolling Stones aka Space Family Stone, 1952
Starman Jones, 1953
The Star Beast, 1954
Tunnel in the Sky, 1955
Time for the Stars, 1956
Citizen of the Galaxy, 1957
Have Space Suit-Will Travel, 1958"
And describes that Heinlein's writing "Starship Troopers" (1959)
marked him breaking with the juvies.

a425couple

Mar 29, 2014, 7:44:08 PM3/29/14
"a425couple" <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote in message...
> One of my more recent Heinlein reads was pleasant enough.
> "Have Space Suit - Will Travel" is one of his juveniles,
> this one written in 1958, the last of them.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Space_Suit%E2%80%94Will_Travel
> IMHO, as I said, "pleasant enough".

IMHO, two kind'a cute passages,
(To set the stage, this smart boy, age ~18 is having to team up
with small 11 year old genius girl named "Pee Wee")

Page 45 (my version - YMMV)
"And Howdy to you, Peewee. Uh, are you a boy or a girl."
Peewee looked disgusted. "I'll make you regret that remark.
I realize I am undersized for my age but I'm actually eleven,
going on twelve. There's no need to be rude. In another
five years I expect to be quite a dish - you'll probably beg
me for every dance."

Page 51
(Peewee) "So I said I would (go on a family won trip to the moon).
Daddy said 'No!' and Momma said 'Good gracious No!' ----
I can be an awful nusance when I put my mind on it," she said
proudly. "I have talent for it. Daddy says I'm an amoral
little wench."
(boy) "Uh, do you suppose he might be right?"
"Oh, I'm sure he is. He understands me whereas Momma
throws up her hands and says she can't cope.
I was perfectly beastly and unbearable for two whole weeks
and at last Daddy said, 'For blanks sake, let her go!
Maybe we will collect her insurance!' "